Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVs (new Dublin Bus type) enter service (inc pics)

Options
  • 14-08-2007 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

ev1b.jpg

The first of Dublin's new Volvo B9TL / Enviro400 buses entered service from Ringsend today.

While basically similar to existing lowfloor double-decks in interior style, these feature totally different and updated engine/electrical/chassis elements, built to a more strict emissions standard (Euro4 as opposed to Euro3) capable of running on biofuel mix.

The front and rear are very different looking, much more rounded, and featuring minature lights which seem to be all the rage on buses and coaches these days. Lots of curves.

From a passenger perspective, quieter, and nice big window at the front, and finally they have moved that annoying grabrail from out of your direct eyeline.

Special wheelchair retention system fitted downstairs (auto-operated bar that lowers to protect wheelchair user).

On the minus side, a couple of the seats on the offside upstairs have poor legroom, and there is an unfortunate guttering design that delivers constant running water onto the head of anyone entering/exiting in rainy weather (hopefully this will be fixed).

Aquavid

ev1a.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What's with the two bars alongside the outside of the front upstairs window?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

What's with the two bars alongside the outside of the front upstairs window?

It protects the window from tree branches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

The other big plus for passengers is that with the change to LED for the destination display, you finally have an electronic system that can be clearly seen and read even in bright sunlight. Much more readable from a distance too.

Aquavid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Although by the looks of the first pic, the destination sign is not as legible from a close-up oblique angle.

What routes will these be on? (apart from the 3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Good to see they are determined to keep high dwell times by only having one set of doors. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They do look smashing. What routes are they going to be on?

Finally the LED signs - now next up they should start fitting these to the AV's as well. Much more legible - don't know why CIE persisted with the others. More maintainable too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

jlang wrote:
    Although by the looks of the first pic, the destination sign is not as legible from a close-up oblique angle.

What routes will these be on? (apart from the 3)

Actually, much more legible than would seem from the photo - LED displays on buses do not photograph well, and can sometimes come out as gappy or even blank. I think the fact I was using a slightly longer exposure due to the very dark conditions helped ensure it came out in the photo.

The routes:

First batch of 8 to Ringsend for the 1, 2, and 3.
    then 14 to Clontarf, possibly for 32/42 (though Clontarf tend to be a bit random in the way they allocate buses to routes)
    then 14 to Donnybrook for 145.
    then 14 to Harristown, not sure which routes.

As the last of these are being delivered (October) then 50 of the long triaxles (the sort on the 46A) will start arriving:

3 to Donnybrook for 46A
    47 to Phibsboro for 37/38/39 and 10.

Aquavid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Every time Dublin Bus get a new bus in, I always am interested and look forward to travelling in them. When I do, I always realise that they are just as uncomfortable as the onces that are already in service!

Have there been any innovations in passenger comfort / information in the past ten years or more? Some buses had individual seating but that seems to have been replaced by benches again.

The buses may look good from the outside but that is of no consequence if you are taking the 746 from the airport to Stillorgan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I saw three of these buses driving along the A1 between Hillsborough and Banbridge on Friday night at about 8 o'clock.

Are they delivered by road from Alexanders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saw this bus going from Harristown to Blanchardstown this morning. Looked preety cool.
    It was not on a run by the way it was going to the terminus either in Ongar or Mulhuddart I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Still one door hissyfit.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Aquavid wrote:
    First batch of 8 to Ringsend for the 1, 2, and 3.
    then 14 to Clontarf, possibly for 32/42 (though Clontarf tend to be a bit random in the way they allocate buses to routes)
    then 14 to Donnybrook for 145.
    then 14 to Harristown, not sure which routes.

As the last of these are being delivered (October) then 50 of the long triaxles (the sort on the 46A) will start arriving:

3 to Donnybrook for 46A
    47 to Phibsboro for 37/38/39 and 10.

Aquavid
    There must have been 22 registered in the first batch as the registrations 07 D 30001 to 07 D 30022 were assigned to Volvo buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Every time Dublin Bus get a new bus in, I always am interested and look forward to travelling in them. When I do, I always realise that they are just as uncomfortable as the onces that are already in service!

Have there been any innovations in passenger comfort / information in the past ten years or more? Some buses had individual seating but that seems to have been replaced by benches again.

The buses may look good from the outside but that is of no consequence if you are taking the 746 from the airport to Stillorgan!

The 20 VT class used on the 46A route have individual bucket seats and presumably the 50 more VTs due later this year will also have them.

Personally I prefer the bench seats, they have comfy deep cushions in contrast with just about every other design of bus seat I have used elsewhere.

The individual seats look better but 90mns sat in one may change your opinion.

I saw three of these buses driving along the A1 between Hillsborough and Banbridge on Friday night at about 8 o'clock.

Are they delivered by road from Alexanders?

Well, they were going to air-lift them across the Irish Sea but the RAF didn't have any chinooks to spare. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Got to have a look at our 84x/145 batch in Donnybrook today.
    some very uncomfortable seats towards the rear of the beast, you know the type on the Dart. I cant imagine the passengers noticing anything more different other than bars on the front window and different headlights.
    Hopefully they dont suffer the same brake defects that the AX batch suffered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Aquavid wrote:
    The front and rear are very different looking, much more rounded, and featuring minature lights which seem to be all the rage on buses and coaches these days. Lots of curves.

I saw one going thru' Inchicore recently (last week or the week before) - only saw it from behind, and it was amazing how curved the back Window is - looks like a big grinning mouth :D ? It wasn't on a route, took a left at the top of Tyrconnell Rd on to the Canal.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I've used them a bit. I like the low grabrail. Much better view from up front. I noticed they have a crescent-moon shaped pattern on the floors. Never noticed patterned floors on a bus before. Is it supposed to make them look cleaner, keep them looking fresh or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

still just a bus - its appropriate that it was photographed on a rainy day as i associate Dublin Bus with having water dripping on my head, rivers running beneath the seats and having my coat soaked by the pooling water on the windowframes.

Every time I get a Dublin Bus i'm disappointed by how slow and uncomfortable it is - there must be better solution than just more rattly old double-deckers?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well they tried bendy buses and I think there was universal distaste for them - where the hell are the AW's now anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Red Alert wrote:
    Well they tried bendy buses and I think there was universal distaste for them - where the hell are the AW's now anyway?

I see about 2 bendy buses every morning used for the 39b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

dazberry wrote:
    I saw one going thru' Inchicore recently (last week or the week before) - only saw it from behind, and it was amazing how curved the back Window is - looks like a big grinning mouth :D ? It wasn't on a route, took a left at the top of Tyrconnell Rd on to the Canal.

D.
    so are you saying that the phrase 'looking like the back end of a bus' will have to be reviewed?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A little off topic but I noticed that Dublin Bus have 6 wheeled busses. Any reason for this? Is the capacity bigger? Are there additional maintenance costs involved?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Red Alert wrote:
    The 4 uses them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

ciaran76 wrote:
    I see about 2 bendy buses every morning used for the 39b.
    Most of the 4 route is served with the bendy buses. I've seen some of the 39s and 25Xs (and other Xs) with them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

John R wrote:
    The individual seats look better but 90mns sat in one may change your opinion.
    Exactly, any individual seat I've ever sat in on a bus has been designed for a midget. They seem to be sacrificing legroom big time on a lot of buses too, some seats are not usable by average adults. If they want buses to be used by a greater proportion of people then they need to be able to accommodate everyone in comfort not just 5'0" auld wans going to Mass.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

silverharp wrote:
    A little off topic but I noticed that Dublin Bus have 6 wheeled busses. Any reason for this? Is the capacity bigger? Are there additional maintenance costs involved?
    Its a capacity thing. I think an extra 2 rows of seats.

Dublin Bus have been replacing existing small buses with larger ones across the fleet. As there is a cap on the fleet size, the only way to increase capacity is to use bigger buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

ninja900 wrote:
    Exactly, any individual seat I've ever sat in on a bus has been designed for a midget. They seem to be sacrificing legroom big time on a lot of buses too, some seats are not usable by average adults. If they want buses to be used by a greater proportion of people then they need to be able to accommodate everyone in comfort not just 5'0" auld wans going to Mass.
    Yes, I agree with this, prime example being the new EV's are not so long as the AX's, but they have more seats, I have not been on one yet, but suffice to say i would imagine leg room would be bad. Although hopefully no seats are as bad as the ones directly in front of the stairs on an RV upstairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

andrew163 wrote:
    The 4 uses them.
    They are also used on the odd 38/38a although it's very rare. Contrary to popular belief they can get around the corner at ballycoolin without a bother, better than some double deckers.

Harristown also has been known to use them on the 40/40A/40B/40C and a few weeks ago even the 13. They're running well now and Harristown are doing a good job with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Aquavid wrote:
    It's defintely been on the 42 route lately.

I love this new bus, comfortable and, best of all, quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

silverharp wrote:
    I noticed that Dublin Bus have 6 wheeled busses
    Apologies for being pedantic but all standard buses have 6 wheels - 2 on the front axle and 4 on the rear axle. What you mean is the tri-axle buses which have 8 wheels - 2 on front axle, 2 on foremost rear axle and 4 on the rear axle.

(Articulated buses have 10 wheels - 2 on front, 4 in centre and 4 at rear).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

. What you mean is the tri-axle buses

Yes. Victor expained it for me thanks!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement