Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New To Ireland, and have questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

There's a place opposite Trinity that sells all manner of things to damage your lungs with. I'd say you'd get cubans there. Shane's right about the lucky strike, fairly available... although I don't know anyone who smokes them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

"LUCKY STRIKE
    P.J. Carroll’s international brands have carved out a small but successful niche in recent years. According to the company, their recently acquired Lucky Strike brand grew in popularity and stature within the Irish market during 2004, no doubt aided by the sponsorship of the B*A*R Honda Team which achieved second place in the Constructors’ World Championship with its driver Jenson Button achieving third place. The continued success of the team will, the company believes, create a worldwide buzz around the Lucky Strike brand."

You know, I believe Jenson Button is The Stig. Afterall, he can't be practicing all that much if he's only managed one podium in the last year... ;) This leaves him plenty of time to make a buck or two playing with all manner of cars on Top Gear.

I think Romeo Y Julieta are my favorite Cubans. Not too strong, great flavor. But yes, last time over I did pay thru the nose. However, Cubans are expensive the world over. The last time I was in Puerto Vallarta in a local shop, the cigars were expensive but the Cohiba cigarettes were very cheap. Lucky Strike packs were $2 USD, too. I did buy a lot of those, to be sure.

Sad to hear Alfa are still shiny junk. I would have liked to owned one just to say I did. 146's are very affordable with few miles, and they look so lovely, with very comfy seeming seats. I will be traveling often, though, so I really must find something at least marginally reliable. Have you all any suggestions other than the VW diesels I've been looking at?

Obliged,
    Wez
    smccarrick wrote:
    Lucky Strikes are available primarily through vending machines.
    Re: Cuban cigarettes and cigars- no probs getting them here- Cohiba are sold pretty widely (but are expensive).

This tradewebsite gives you an idea of the types of cigarettes sold here.

There's a place opposite Trinity that sells all manner of things to damage your lungs with. I'd say you'd get cubans there. Shane's right about the lucky strike, fairly available... although I don't know anyone who smokes them.

I'd say ya do now. There's nothing else that smokes like a Lucky. I would go as far to say it's addictive...errr.

I've been to that tobacconist near Trinity. He didn't have Lucky's last time, though. But that was quite a few years ago. They did have a great selection of other cough-inducing goods. God bless Ireland.

This may sound odd, but is there a place where I can buy American sports equipment? I'm looking for a bat. It's main use would be protection. I dunno what the crime is like there, but in Texas you may use deadly force to protect ones property or self even if not threatened with deadly force. It makes sense since the criminals have access to cheap firearms of good quality, and the US is the murder capital of the first world. This is one aspect of America I won't miss - having to carry a gun on me 'just in case'. Even so, I think a bat, or maybe a Hurling stick near the door may not be a bad idea. I would rather rely on a good guard dog, but it may be a while before I find myself in a situation where that's possible.

Wes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wyk wrote:
    I'd say ya do now. There's nothing else that smokes like a Lucky. I would go as far to say it's addictive...errr.

I've been to that tobacconist near Trinity. He didn't have Lucky's last time, though. But that was quite a few years ago. They did have a great selection of other cough-inducing goods. God bless Ireland.

This may sound odd, but is there a place where I can buy American sports equipment? I'm looking for a bat. It's main use would be protection. I dunno what the crime is like there, but in Texas you may use deadly force to protect ones property or self even if not threatened with deadly force. It makes sense since the criminals have access to cheap firearms of good quality, and the US is the murder capital of the first world. This is one aspect of America I won't miss - having to carry a gun on me 'just in case'. Even so, I think a bat, or maybe a Hurling stick near the door may not be a bad idea. I would rather rely on a good guard dog, but it may be a while before I find myself in a situation where that's possible.

Wes

Personally I find golf clubs to be very useful- but its easy enough to pick up baseball bats and other ahem, sports equipment, these days.

We do not allow the use of deadly force to defend our own property here- for reasons I'm not going into please don't start a discussion about it on this forum. Suffice to say- you cannot carry concealed weapons of any nature whatsoever nor can you beat up someone in defence of your property. Carrying of knives (including Swiss army knives or any types of arms) is a criminal offence and can result in a conviction (though normally its simply the confiscation of the offending article.

The taboconist referred to opposite Trinity is doing a flying trade in decent wines these days too. A nice Chablis is only about 15 Euro.....

There's plenty of state's like that in the US as well, which is sad because the crime here is very bad - especially violent armed crime.

As for the wine, I am quite fond of Bordeaux and Chianti. Is this a good place for those as well? Here a decent Medoc Cru will go for about $30. I managed to find a lesser known brand of cru for $16 the other day, but that's very rare, and it needs to age(but likely wont ;) ). I do like my wine...Wonder what the pickins look like in France...how many can I bring back? I intend to visit more than a couple of vineyards in France and Italy. The American idea of wine is uh...lacking...

Any markets in the Dub outskirts good for wine?

Wes
    smccarrick wrote:
    Personally I find golf clubs to be very useful- but its easy enough to pick up baseball bats and other ahem, sports equipment, these days.

We do not allow the use of deadly force to defend our own property here- for reasons I'm not going into please don't start a discussion about it on this forum. Suffice to say- you cannot carry concealed weapons of any nature whatsoever nor can you beat up someone in defence of your property. Carrying of knives (including Swiss army knives or any types of arms) is a criminal offence and can result in a conviction (though normally its simply the confiscation of the offending article.

The taboconist referred to opposite Trinity is doing a flying trade in decent wines these days too. A nice Chablis is only about 15 Euro.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you want to play football while you're here check out www.iafl.info
    Plenty of teams in Dublin.

Wow, that's news to me. At least there's one sport I can keep score with. It looks popular, too. Hopefully you've not adopted the steroid use as well. ;)

BTW, I am a big fan of Joy Division and New Order.

WYK
    jdivision wrote:
    If you want to play football while you're here check out www.iafl.info
    Plenty of teams in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wyk wrote:
    There's plenty of state's like that in the US as well, which is sad because the crime here is very bad - especially violent armed crime.
    Armed crime is negligible here compared to the USA. Most people murdered are either family or drug dealers - you should be safe on both grounds. :)

I'll be depressed if I learn I'm related to a family full of drug dealers, for sure.

So then, a new question. Motorbikes? What's a decent size one go for(like say a hooligan type bike like an old Kawi GPZ 1100 etc.)? Is the rain soft enough to run this thing most the year?

Back to the nonsense: Does anyone here own an Alfa 156? They are such great lookin cars...cheap too. Must be for a reason, tho...saw one, a 99 for E2750 that looked great, and supposedly ran, with 70K miles.

BTW, bought a carton of Luckies Friday for $33 USD.

Wes
    Victor wrote:
    Armed crime is negligible here compared to the USA. Most people murdered are either family or drug dealers - you should be safe on both grounds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you have proper motorbike gear, I imagine it is practical for 355-360 days of the year.
    wyk wrote:
    Back to the nonsense: Does anyone here own an Alfa 156? They are such great lookin cars...cheap too. Must be for a reason, tho...saw one, a 99 for E2750 that looked great, and supposedly ran, with 70K miles.
    Beware of clocking (resetting the odometer) - it seems to be rampant at the moment, especially with older cars and imports. Have a look over on Motors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 schtuarget

Hi wyk,

if you're still looking for accomodation. I recently move to Ireland from eastern Europe and was in a similar position.

I found a great site for buying, selling and renting property in Ireland called http://www.youbuyfromme.ie/

I lived in 3 different houses and flats while I lived in Ireland and this site was a great help finding accommodation.

Hope this information is helpful.

Best of luck with the new job !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

youbuyfromme... hmmmm. just did a search for all of dublin and found 15 properties for sale. None for rent. Think I'd stick to daft or myhometolet.

Again, y'aller great. I so appreciate the assistance. I will be keeping the same email and yahoo ID when I am in Ireland. It would be good to meet some of y'all in pub.

Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Check out this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=153
    Boards organises a meet up in a pub once every few months.

Excellent.
    Obliged,

Wez
    tuxy wrote:
    Check out this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=153
    Boards organises a meet up in a pub once every few months.

Advertisement