Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

699 for a top spec laptop in Tesco

Options
  • 13-08-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I saw a fantastic iQon laptop in Tesco, Nutgrove for 699

Here's the specs

Athlon 64x2
    2gb ram
    120 gb hard drive
    15.4" screen

It's on special offer

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Fisher-Price have a better build-quality in their toy computer range
    than Iqon.

Moreover, the components used in any Iqon i've ever seen have been of
    the lowest quality I've ever seen.

There is no such thing as a "value-for-money" Iqon. Steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Top spec, fantastic & IQON are 3 phrases that should never appear in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

thanks for the heads up, I was going to buy it

Appreciate it

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

go to www.dell.ie/epp and enter this evalue code FAIE4-N0810003 and you'll get a decent machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

jetsonx wrote:
    Fisher-Price have a better build-quality in their toy computer range
    than Iqon.

Moreover, the components used in any Iqon i've ever seen have been of
    the lowest quality I've ever seen.

There is no such thing as a "value-for-money" Iqon. Steer clear.
    If I could use one word, it would be UGH! On several occassions I got tech support calls to try fix a modem which never worked from brand new. Lemons!

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

holy crap.

i done that,

added XP at €0.00
    downgraded to basic 1 year support
    added upgrade to monitor
    and added 9-cell battery

all for 603.79.

absolute fecking bargin and if i had the cash i'd buy it for the family so it would stop them using my macbook :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

go to www.dell.ie/epp and enter this evalue code FAIE4-N0810003 and you'll get a decent machine

just ordered one, great price, you could pay up to 890 for it, got the large battery and better screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

OK, I have this saved in my basket.

Been planning on buying a laptop for months.

Is this one good value for money?

Please don't try and tell me about processors, speed etc. (no offence)

Just want a machine for basic use.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

that dell vostro looks a great deal, do you need to be a registered business to avail of the offer?

When I went to purchase it, it would not complete the order until a business name was given, I changed the order to my wifes name and put down my wifes company as her work is one of the companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

dingding wrote:
    When I went to purchase it, it would not complete the order until a business name was given, I changed the order to my wifes name and put down my wifes company as her work is one of the companies.

EPP is the Employee Purchase Program. Basically major companies will pay Dell a small fee towards giving their employees a discount on items.

Odds on they will ever reject it or send a bill to your wife for service.

Although knowing Dell they will probably send you 2 machines, 3 monitors and 8 keyboards then refund you and tell you to keep the stuff as it is too expensive to return.

Hobbes wrote:
    EPP is the Employee Purchase Program. Basically major companies will pay Dell a small fee towards giving their employees a discount on items.

Odds on they will ever reject it or send a bill to your wife for service.

Although knowing Dell they will probably send you 2 machines, 3 monitors and 8 keyboards then refund you and tell you to keep the stuff as it is too expensive to return.

My lucky day. :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hobbes wrote:

Damnit, didn't happen to me when I got a Dell Dimension through the EPP. :( Still got it at a great price though.

WRT the iQon laptops, I got one from Tesco last winter when they had a 50% back offer. While it has given me no bother, it's certainly not built to the standard of the likes of Dells etc. Feels cheap.

At the time I bought it, on the box it mentioned it had TV output, though it most certainly does not (just VGA output). I emailed iQon a few times about it, though never got a reply, not even an auto-reply. I could've, I suppose brought it back to Tesco, but I didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Just placed an order for that Vostro, cheers savemejebus. Fantastic price for that spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

byte wrote:
    Damnit, didn't happen to me when I got a Dell Dimension through the EPP. :( Still got it at a great price though.

I was kind of half joking but this is what goes on in Dell. I ordered a hard drive for my machine, they sent me a really nice high spec one but wouldn't fit in the machine. They refunded me but said it was too expensive to return so left it here. Likewise with my wifes machine everytime it came back from being fixed we got a new keyboard+mouse (3 of each so far). I know someone who had the same deal with a graphics card. They sent him the wrong one, so sent the right one but left the old one there. Lastly a guy in work got 2 monitors and 3 keyboards from them for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Wasn't planning on buying a laptop but feck me it's a great price. Any techie wanna advise if this is a good machine for €543 incl shipping? Should I add/remove anything else?

Vostro™ 1000 NB(N0810003)
    AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53,
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Business - English
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    4 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (29 Whr)
    56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
    Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-Card - Europe

If you intend to use it on battery power, the higher capacity battery.

Found this link. (prices in sterling)

http://www.pcpricer.co.uk/Dell/LaptopTable.shtml

Gives all current evalue codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh I'd definitely go for the 9 cell battery. I genuinely can get 3.5hrs+ from it which I think is quite impressive. My sisters compaq laptop nearly always has to be plugged into the mains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

daveg wrote:
    Wasn't planning on buying a laptop but feck me it's a great price. Any techie wanna advise if this is a good machine for €543 incl shipping? Should I add/remove anything else?

Vostro™ 1000 NB(N0810003)
    AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53,
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Business - English
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    4 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (29 Whr)
    56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
    Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-Card - Europe

The general concensus on the laptop forum is that the Vostro is a damn good machine for the price. The only thing is you will be waiting a while for it.

As for the Iqon, the Fisher Price analogy is quite apt. You get what you pay for, basically.

<shameless plug> I have posted a poll on the laptop forum asking if people want to set up a sticky for good value laptops. Looking at the voting so far, it will go ahead </shameless plug>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

tom dunne wrote:
    The general concensus on the laptop forum is that the Vostro is a damn good machine for the price. The only thing is you will be waiting a while for it.

As for the Iqon, the Fisher Price analogy is quite apt. You get what you pay for, basically.

<shameless plug> I have posted a poll on the laptop forum asking if people want to set up a sticky for good value laptops. Looking at the voting so far, it will go ahead </shameless plug>

Gets my vote. Here's a link to the thread for everyone to help your shameless plug:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055134867

Just had my order confirmed, In pre-production with delivery date on or before 21st Aug. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

That code expires today the 15th. Longshot but I take it no one has a dell e-value code for the Vostro 1400?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

dingding wrote:
    Just had my order confirmed, In pre-production with delivery date on or before 21st Aug. :D
    Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

dingding wrote:

Bingo!!

Snap!!

Eh,............. same here.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Wow - nice price for the Dell Vostro - it puts it in the same ballpark as the recent Adli Medion laptop offer.

Is there any disadvantage to getting the Business version of Vista for the home user? On XP, some of the Home features just seemed easier to use than Business. Will it be possible to configure the Vista Business for a nice friendly home environment?

Is there any way I can add an on-board Bluetooth facility? [I know I can use an external dongle, but it would be nice to have this built-in].

Went into production today. They must have all the parts :)

Dispatched :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jimbobwalton

Do any of the notebook have a connection for a wired internet cable? I cant see it mentioned

Advertisement