Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tues Aug 7th 21:30 Iveagh Grounds -v- Glenwood Rovers

Options
  • 06-08-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

Yes lads, the league season is coming to an end. Its been a good experince and we are now a better team than what we were when we started over 4 months ago. Our final game is against a team that are now in a position to win the league, if they win their 2 games in hand, 1 of which is against us.

We played them the last time and they beat us 3-2, a game we so easily could have won and dominated virtually from start to finish. Our confidence is sky high at the moment and picture this, if we win this, there is a chance that we can finish in the top 5, loose and we could finish bottom! thats how tight things are. Had we beaten these the last time, we would now only be 2 points behind them. a win would mean we beat 3 of the top 4 teams in our last 3 games and put us in great positon for the cup game.

So lets give this one last shot, wouldnt it be great to say that we beat the team that can win the league?

Jules – Unknown.
    Carl (keeper) - Unknown.
    Colm Larkin - Unknown.
    Michael - Unknown.
    Darragh - Unknown.
    Shay - Unknown.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Colm Field - Unknown.
    Niall - Unknown.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Unknown.
    Enda - Unknown.
    Geoff – Unknown.
    Gav - Unknown.
    Art - Unknown.
    Anto - Unknown.
    Martin - Unknown.
    Darran - Unknown.
    Sav - Unknown.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others - none yet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Jules – Unknown.
    Carl (keeper) - Unknown.
    Colm Larkin - Unknown.
    Michael - Unknown.
    Darragh - Unknown.
    Shay - Unknown.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Colm Field - Unknown.
    Niall - Unknown.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Unknown.
    Enda - Unknown.
    Geoff – Unknown.
    Gav - Unknown.
    Art - Unknown.
    Anto - Unknown.
    Martin - will be there
    Darran - Unknown.
    Sav - Unknown.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others - none yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jules – Unknown.
    Carl (keeper) - Will be there.
    Colm Larkin - Unknown.
    Michael - Unknown.
    Darragh - Unknown.
    Shay - Unknown.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Colm Field - Unknown.
    Niall - Unknown.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Unknown.
    Enda - Unknown.
    Geoff – Will be there.
    Gav - Injured.
    Art - Unknown.
    Anto - Unknown.
    Martin - Will be there.
    Darran - Unknown.
    Sav - Will be there.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others - Dave

Some directions to the Iveagh Grounds lads.

From Town

Proceed to the Grand Canal heading towards Dolphins Barn, turn onto Crumlin Road.
    Proceed for .5 mile (Approx) along Crumlin Road through Crumlin Cross Roads.
    You will see Crumlin Garda Station and a shopping centre on your right.
    Proceed past the Garda Station and the Shopping Centre, the Guinness Iveagh Grounds are 400 metres past the Shopping Centre and sign posted on your right.
    When entering the grounds just tell the security that you are playing in the Astro Soccer League.
    You will be told your dressing room on the night by the security guard.
    Please obey the rules of the grounds.

From M50

Take the City exit from the Red Cow/N7 exit.
    Proceed along the Naas Road to the Longmile Road and onto the Drimnagh Road.
    Proceed along the Drimnagh Road onto the Crumlin Road.
    Proceed past Crumlin Hospital and look for the Iveagh Grounds on the left hand side, use the Texaco station on the right as a landmark, the entrance is almost directly opposite this.

Clear as mud.

Does the security guard make sure no one steals the pitch??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Jules – Unknown.
    Colm Larkin - Unknown.
    Michael - Injured.
    Darragh - Unknown.
    Shay - Unknown.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Colm Field - Unknown.
    Niall - Unknown.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Unknown.
    Enda - Unknown.
    Geoff – Will be there.
    Gav - Injured.
    Art - Unknown.
    Anto - Unknown.
    Martin - Will be there.
    Darran - Unknown.
    Sav - Will be there.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others - Dave

I've been off line for the last couple of days. I am still suffering with the muscle strain I got a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Jules – Unknown.
    Colm Larkin - Unknown.
    Michael - Injured.
    Darragh - Unknown.
    Shay - Unknown.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Niall - Injured.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Unknown.
    Geoff – Will be there.
    Gav - Injured.
    Art - Won't be there.
    Anto - Unknown.
    Martin - Will be there.
    Darran - Will be there.
    Sav - Will be there.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others/Noobs - Dave, Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Jules – Unknown.
    Colm Larkin - Unknown.
    Michael - Injured.
    Darragh - Won't be there.
    Shay - Unknown.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Niall - Injured.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Unknown.
    Geoff – Will be there.
    Gav - Injured.
    Art - Won't be there.
    Anto - Unknown.
    Martin - Will be there.
    Darran - Will be there.
    Sav - Will be there.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others/Noobs - Dave, Dan

I wont be there for this one. Without goin into too much detail, its too late and Ive a hectic week which started yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Jules – Unknown.
    Colm Larkin - Will be there.
    Michael - Injured.
    Shay - Unknown.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Niall - Injured.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Unknown.
    Geoff – Will be there.
    Gav - Injured.
    Art - Won't be there.
    Anto - Unknown.
    Martin - Will be there.
    Darran - Will be there.
    Sav - Will be there.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others/Noobs - Dave, Dan

Anyone driving through/from town? Would be well handy, don't know the way to this ground

The following busses go from town to the Crumlin Road, not sure if they are near the ground though, but the crumlin road couldn't be that long.

122 from Outside Sony Centre, Lower O'Connell Street or St. Great George's South, every 20 mins after 18.15

150 from Fleet Street stops three times on the Crumlin Rd.

151 from Custom House Quay or Burgh Quay/Eden Quay stops three times on the Crumlin Rd.

50 from Ringsend Rd. / Barrow St. or Pearse St. / Macken St. or Lombard St. / Townsend St. or College St. / Junction Hawkins St. stops three times on the Crumlin Rd.

56a from Ringsend Rd. / Barrow St. or Pearse St. / Macken St. or Lombard St. / Townsend St. or College St. / Junction Hawkins St. stops three times on the Crumlin Rd.

77 from Pearse St. (Lombard St.) / Townsend St. stops three times on the Crumlin Rd.

77a from Pearse St. (Macken St.) or College St. stops three times on the Crumlin Rd.

All of this info from this internet thing, you may have heard of it :D

Jules – Unknown.
    Michael - Injured.
    Shay - Holidays/Suspended.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Niall - Injured.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Will be there.
    Geoff – Will be there.
    Gav - Injured.
    Art - Won't be there.
    Anto - Will be there.
    Martin - Will be there.
    Darran - Will be there.
    Sav - Will be there.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others/Noobs - Dave, Dan

Lads, this is a numbers crisis.

• Advertisement

Bit dodgy alright. I have a bit of a knock though I'll play through it. hopefully we'll have better numbers for Friday. With the change of venue can we not chance Shay coming along? Probably won't be the same ref?

Break the rules?

I ain't Ollie dude! :D

Ah no, Shay is in Holland this evening.

Ah, I see that it says that in the previous post too! Presume there's no lifts going from town? I'll bus it out

Jules – 50/50 work
    Michael - Injured.
    Shay - Holidays/Suspended.
    Mikie - Unknown.
    Niall - Injured.
    Ed - Will be there.
    Joe - Will be there.
    Geoff – Will be there.
    Gav - Injured.
    Art - Won't be there.
    Anto - Will be there.
    Martin - Will be there.
    Darran - Will be there.
    Sav - Will be there.
    Lor - Unknown.
    Others/Noobs - Dave, Dan, Kenny, Fran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Pleased to report a brilliant 3 nil win for Boards. Although could easily have been 1 or 2 more. Some great individual performances tonight but everyone played together as a team and we looked really solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

yes well done everyone and a rare clean sheet (nice early save karl!)

goals from joe, sav and fran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

LoBo wrote:
    (nice early save karl!)
    Crucial early save actually ;);)

Right lads, first things first.

Another excellent performance and another excellent win. Well done to everyone for that.

Solid defensively, and once again our attack play yielded some good goals. The simple game, passing it on the ground, working the ball and the end result is there for all to see. Taking the easy option instead of trying to pick the perfect pass, release it early to the man in space, and work space for ourselves.

When every player out there works for his teammates, that's how games are won. Every man doing the job he's asked to do, every player trying to either give an option, or put the other team under pressure to force the mistake.

absolutely cracking stuff tonight lads. Can't say how impressed I am by the commitment and passion shown in the last 3 games since I came on board. Not easy to do that when you've a different 11 every week. The standard of the players on show was exceptional tonight as well. Does Larry run everywhere he goes? The man's a hero. Twice he tackled that monster of a centre half and came out the winner. Sav's goal was a peach. Didn't see the other two. And a word also for Ross the ref, who really was a class above that fat bastard from 3 rock. And a Shels man to boot :D Also, Dan the new centre half looks a quality player too. Kenny is great on the ball and Dave done a good job on the right before the onset of heart failure forced him off ;) The interplay between Jules, Sav and Larry was great in the second half too. That's about it i think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh that was a great performance lads, thought we played some of our best football yet, particularly in the second half.

Thanks to the solid defence, Karl didn’t get troubled often, but that early save was top class and very crucial at that time.

We bossed the midfield and used possession well when we got it – we had the best interplay between midfield and forwards I’ve seen yet – midfield were playing good balls into feet and we were able to build it from there. It looks simple, but just protecting possession with your first touch, and then seeing what’s on and laying it off to a runner is the sign of a quality player, and we did plenty of that across the pitch last night. There’s no need for attempting the killer pass with your first touch, and we copped that last night and let the ball do the work, which was the perfect way to play against a big team like that – we stretched them on the floor instead of playing into their hands with long balls.

I noticed there was always a midfield runner arriving for the cut-back just outside the box – that’s one of the most effective passes you can make and we got joy from it, and that gave us more go forward ball in dangerous position than we’ve been getting previously. We made loads of chances and had some good shots and if a couple more went in we were good value for it. The talk on the pitch has improved dramatically – lads are know shouting to let you know where they want it and thats definitely helping the link-up.

It’s great to see such an improvement over the second half of this season, and credit to Des for the good selections that are seeing us get the best out of our players. The new lads are all good footballers and everyone knows there’s competition for places so if we keep that in mind it should keep everyone pushing on.

To say what Sav’s thinking – complacency is now our main enemy, not just for the next game, but for next season. I’m certain we now have the squad to win that league, but that’ll only happen if lads keep committed and there’s pressure for places throughout the season. As for the next game, the opposition should be a step up so unless we put in the fight from start to finish we’ll be made to pay. That fight and honesty of effort is what we’re all about – if we can play nice football on top of it then great, but either way it’ll mean we get the best out of ourselves and be competitive till the end.

So in summary, and to paraphrase the rapping legend that is John Barnes (and to run the risk of a lifetime ban from this forum), pass and move is the new Boardeaux groove. Make an effort and get out on Saturday for a pint/appletini/glass of water whatevers your flavour and you can slap me for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

Very impressed with the standard of player and the amount of effort put in by everyone last night. Great win, fully deserved. There is definitely the core of a league-winning team there. Sav and Jules stood out for me personally as excellent players but you really couldn't pick anyone out as having had a poor game.
    LeixlipRed wrote:
    Dave done a good job on the right before the onset of heart failure forced him off ;)

Yeah it's been a while since I played an 11-a-side game in midfield but I've got almost two months until the season starts to get myself back to full match fitness. Really looking forward to the new season now.

It's clear Des' evil plan is beginning to bear fruit and the team is taking shape. We were the better team yesterday by far, if it had've finished 6-0 it would have been a fair scoreline.
    Kudos to Karl, dont think we should underestimate the importance of that save when it was 0-0, that coulda really taken the wind out of our sails.

As I explained to the boss last night, there's some logistics I have to overcome to play next season which is very much dependent on the night of games (and training), I'm hoping it'll all work out in the next few weeks and I'll be doing my best to make it happen, I want to push on as much as anyone else ;)

Well done last night and good luck on Friday, give 'em hell.

Savman wrote:
    6-0 it would have been a fair scoreline.
    :eek:

Quick, someone has kidnapped Negative Sav and is using his account.

:D

I stand by what I said with Keane-esque stubbornism!
    :p:p

I'll be printing off a copy of both threads Sav, and hide them behind my back at the next team meeting.

My god, I feel so dirty pretending to be Mick McCarthy

seansouth wrote:
    My god, I feel so dirty pretending to be Mick McCarthy
    Nothing new there then...:D

Did they only have ten players last night? My Da mentioned that this morning (he's also our first groupie :D)

LeixlipRed wrote:
    Did they only have ten players last night? My Da mentioned that this morning (he's also our first groupie :D)
    Nah, he's not.

We had a fan last season too.

Used to stand pitchside in a tan coloured coat.

I think posts on Boards :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Nutzzy or something wasnt it?

• Advertisement

Pat Fenlon was a boards groupie?? Jaysis, has he nothing better to be doing??

Advertisement