Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti cholesterol drugs side effects

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to update my own situation the Omega I was on wasn't doing quite enough any longer so I'm now on Ezetrol 10 mg which appears to have no side effects on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Myalgia (pain in the muscles), Myositis (inflammation of the muscles) and Myopathy (muscles not working properly) are all documented side effects of the statins. Myalgia is the most common, and least serious, of the three, but it could be a symptom of one, other or both of the other two. If ignored, it could progress to rhabdomyolysis (the breakdown of the muscle tissue).

If any person taking a statin has any unexplained muscle weakness or soreness, it should be investigated by their doctor. It may just be uncomplicated myalgia, but even if it is, it could progress. So, it has to be investigated.

The pharmacist who dispensed a person's very first prescription for a statin should have explained this. Also, the doctor who wrote the prescription should have explained this. Unfortunately, it can happen that each assumes the other has done/will do it.

Personally, I'd prefer that the same thing was explained twice than risk it not being explained at all, so I explain it to every patient who is getting their first statin prescription from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Skittlers

Myalgia (pain in the muscles), Myositis (inflammation of the muscles) and Myopathy (muscles not working properly) are all documented side effects of the statins. Myalgia is the most common, and least serious, of the three, but it could be a symptom of one, other or both of the other two. If ignored, it could progress to rhabdomyolysis (the breakdown of the muscle tissue).

If any person taking a statin has any unexplained muscle weakness or soreness, it should be investigated by their doctor. It may just be uncomplicated myalgia, but even if it is, it could progress. So, it has to be investigated.

The pharmacist who dispensed a person's very first prescription for a statin should have explained this. Also, the doctor who wrote the prescription should have explained this. Unfortunately, it can happen that each assumes the other has done/will do it.

Personally, I'd prefer that the same thing was explained twice than risk it not being explained at all, so I explain it to every patient who is getting their first statin prescription from me.

I have read every post...I was put on Crestor 10mg 2 months ago I too have suffered very sore muscle paiin in my right arm an pains in my legs..I had polio 48years ago an was left with no muscle strenght in my right arm but never suffered pain only weekness but have bad pain with 2 months also lost the use of my hand to do things i was able to do 2 months ago..Very Intresting????? Im goin to stop and see if it makes a differance...I wil keep ye posted also....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Fascinated by this thread....... I also started on Crestor 10mg a few months ago, and by the end of the second week I felt as if I had been run over by a lorry. Terrible back pains, could hardly move my arms or legs. Went straight to my GP who told me to stop immediately. Gave me a week off with no meds and am now taking Zocor 10mg (Simvastatin)
    No side effects with this, and cholesterol down from 6.5 to 3.9. It is obviously a common side effect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1226238/Side-effects-alert-statin-users-drug-linked-depression-memory-loss.html

Interesting article about statins........

dragona wrote: »
    Fascinated by this thread....... I also started on Crestor 10mg a few months ago, and by the end of the second week I felt as if I had been run over by a lorry. Terrible back pains, could hardly move my arms or legs. Went straight to my GP who told me to stop immediately. Gave me a week off with no meds and am now taking Zocor 10mg (Simvastatin)
    No side effects with this, and cholesterol down from 6.5 to 3.9. It is obviously a common side effect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1226238/Side-effects-alert-statin-users-drug-linked-depression-memory-loss.html

Interesting article about statins........

Intresting reading..Im stopped now taking crestor 10mg with 3days and
    i have improved..Goin to see doc in the morning..Its not 1st time i have got side affects from meds i ended up in hospital 2 times..Another tablet i must add to list of tabs i cant take..Never ending..

• Advertisement

Hi again,I was put on EZETROL 10mg today by my doc but have read leaflet
    to see about side affects..Muscle pain,Tenderness or weakness..Im confused now because that was same side affect i got when i was on Crestor ie Statin,.I dont know wheather i will take them..Has anybody had
    any side affects from Ezetrol?? Any help would be very much appreciated..Skittlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm on Ezetrol (Lipitor gave me pains/fatigue) and its not had any side on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Ezetrol just lowers absorption of chelesterol in the gut. If your diet is very low in cholesterol it will probably have little effect. I am on it - but I keep to a low fat diet and I doubt if it is having much effect. Excercise will have a better effect I think.

The reason im on cholesterol tabs is because my body is over producing it.Im on a low fat diet i dont eat much fatty food..My problem is also the side affects i got them when i was on Crestor witch is common..Its also a common affect with Ezetrol as stated on leaflet..Thats the dilema for me
    now because im prone to side affects especialy musculer pain and weakness..I will go back to doc and discuss it..Thanks all for your feed back much appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Skittlers wrote: »
    Hi again,I was put on EZETROL 10mg today by my doc but have read leaflet
    to see about side affects..Muscle pain,Tenderness or weakness..Im confused now because that was same side affect i got when i was on Crestor ie Statin,.I dont know wheather i will take them..Has anybody had
    any side affects from Ezetrol?? Any help would be very much appreciated..Skittlers.

Two drugs, which share a side effect may not both produce that side effect in an individual (i.e. muscle pain with drug A but not with drug B despite both having muscle pain as a common side effect). Doesn't apply all the time to all drug side effects but it is often the case. You doctor will know if there's a chance of this happening and this is probably why he prescribed you a different statin to try. You hopefully will have less side effects on this one! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ogham wrote: »
    Ezetrol just lowers absorption of chelesterol in the gut. If your diet is very low in cholesterol it will probably have little effect. I am on it - but I keep to a low fat diet and I doubt if it is having much effect. Excercise will have a better effect I think.

My mum keeps to a low fat diet but had cholesterol of 7.9 in August. She hadn't tolerated other statins in the past and was reluctant to try Ezetrol but did and after 6 weeks on it her cholesterol had dropped to 5.1. She didn't make any new change in diet or exercise. She hasn't had any side effects from it so far and she's on it 4 months now. Hopefully yourself and others will have the same luck.

nesf wrote: »
    Two drugs, which share a side effect may not both produce that side effect in an individual (i.e. muscle pain with drug A but not with drug B despite both having muscle pain as a common side effect). Doesn't apply all the time to all drug side effects but it is often the case. You doctor will know if there's a chance of this happening and this is probably why he prescribed you a different statin to try. You hopefully will have less side effects on this one! :)

I dont think Ezetrol are Statins?? Its seems i cant take Statins thats why i was put on Ezetrol?? I stand corrected if im wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I dont think Ezetrol are Statins?? Its seems i cant take Statins thats why i was put on Ezetrol?? I stand corrected if im wrong..

I do not know. I was only referring to the possibility of trying to avoid a side effect by using a different drug in case they were related. It's something I've seen a lot of personally with bipolar and I thought it might be useful for you to know. :)

chilly wrote: »
    My mum keeps to a low fat diet but had cholesterol of 7.9 in August. She hadn't tolerated other statins in the past and was reluctant to try Ezetrol but did and after 6 weeks on it her cholesterol had dropped to 5.1. She didn't make any new change in diet or exercise. She hasn't had any side effects from it so far and she's on it 4 months now. Hopefully yourself and others will have the same luck.

Thanks Chilly hope i do find the right one..Could not contact doc today
    but i have to try something mabey Ezetrol will be ok..

nesf wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You're right. Ezetrol is a cholestrol absorbtion inhibitor and not a statin. Ezetrol selectively inhibits absorption of cholesterol in the intestine. Statins inhibit production of cholestrol in the liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well I may be faceing the same issues if you all. I have been keeping an eye on my cholesterol for a while now. In the last blood test I had it was high. however my good cholesterol count was high as well as my bad one. Would one cancel out the other? I know this issue is in my genes for my dad has been on cholesterol meds most of his life. I want to try to advoid them so I have done some resurch and found that if you eat 2 cloves of garlic that may lower your cholesterol. I am also taking lecithin. I have cut way down on the amout of sugar I eat for my tycristiads are high as well. I also do things like pat try any mince I have cooked or if I have a rasher I pat that dry as well with a paper towel ( not that I eat many rashers or mince). Hopefully this will work b/c I really really reall do not want to go on cholesterol meds for I have read once you are on them you become depent on them. I am planning to have my follow up blood test soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Only1Keano

Hi All, thank you for your very interesting thread on statins because you have helped me come to the conclusion that my Rosuvostatin 10mg tablets are the cause of my mysterious aches and pains.

My dad survived a heart attack in 2009 and he 2 stents fitted after a 93% blockage caused mainly through high cholesterol mixed with some poor lifestyle choices ie previous smoker & fond of a pint of Guinness. My dad was 53yrs old and not over weight and worked manually all of his life so he was still very active in his early fifties. The Doc's advised my 7 uncles & my dads 3 sons to have their cholesterol levels checked and low and behold 8 out of the 10 males in the family all have "glue for blood" :)

My story is I had a cholesterol level of 7.4 and my doc put me on Rosuvostatin 10mg tablets and monitored my levels over 12 months and I lowered to 4.6 so I thought this was perfect. I was happy that at 28yrs old I had identified my cholesterol was abnormally high and I had taken steps to prolong my life :)

I have been very fit all of my life and I rejoined the gym soon after going on statins 2 years ago. I have used the gym on and off all of my life and I have felt that I was getting no results from workouts and my weight never changed even though I watched my diet a "bit" better. The thing is I have always felt the benefits of training and my body would show it & most importantly I would feel better in myself, however this has not been the case.

To add to all of that I have in the last 6 months been feeling a bit lethargic and I have had an achilles ache, a back ache & an ache in my left arm which dont seem to be improving over time.

I attended a top sports physio about my back and I mentioned my leg & arm aches and after 2 sessions he today suggested it could be the statins and he will talk to my GP.

What I dont understand is...I attended my GP last month for my routine check up & blood test results et and I told him all about my back ache...my GP referred me to this physio who basically says my GP should know its the statins.

God damn

Sorry for the long winded post but I think by writting this out I actually helped myself more ;)

Advertisement