Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian managment

Options
  • 04-08-2007 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking. Since the new 30kmh limit in Dublin is to prevent the deaths of pedestrians (mostly) and since its usually because they decide to cross the road etc when and where they should not...
    Would it not be a good idea to put in barriers, you know railings or fence or whatever you want to call it on any dangerous pavements? For instance all along the quays forcing pedestrians to walk to the nearest crossing.

Sure a few will jump over yes but most will walk to the junction and cross there.

Its not perfect as they can still cross without waiting for a green light but its better than nothing.
    It would also protect pedestrians from an out of control car mounting the kerb and hitting them.
    Not everywhere is suitable but a lot of places are. O'Connell street would also be perfect and pedestrians love to walk out all along it.
    Personally i think no traffic should be allowed there but while there is traffic, keep the pedestrians away from it as much as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My bugbear is those that decide to cross right through in the middle of busy junctions. Or those that decide to cross at the blind side of turning vehicles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thread moved from Motors to Commuting/Transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Saruman wrote:
    I was just thinking. Since the new 30kmh limit in Dublin is to prevent the deaths of pedestrians (mostly) and since its usually because they decide to cross the road etc when and where they should not...
    Would it not be a good idea to put in barriers, you know railings or fence or whatever you want to call it on any dangerous pavements? For instance all along the quays forcing pedestrians to walk to the nearest crossing.
    This may make sense if you're a motorist, but if you're an elderly pedestrian with limited mobility it's pure fascism.

The barriers would be a hazard to cyclists when they're forced up against the kerb by cars and trucks that have illegally overtaken them. And, I'd suggest these barriers might cause difficulties for traders taking deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This may make sense if you're a motorist, but if you're an elderly pedestrian with limited mobility it's pure fascism.
    ?? I'm sure that if I was an elderly pedestrian with limited mobility the very last thing I'd be wanting to do was jaywalk my way across a busy road at a place where there wasn't a proper crossing, so whether there were barriers in place to channel people to cross at the proper place wouldn't bother me in the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

An excellent example of this in Nenagh, Co. Tipp

There's a mini roundabout on the junction of Pearse St and Kickam St. And yes, a lot of drivers don't know how to use these mini roundabouts.;)

Anyways, there are three exits on this roundabout and a pedestrian crossing 10metres from each exit.
    So as you swing off the roundabout and start to accelerate you have to be sure to watch for the pedestrian.
    There were issues with pedestrians basically running across the road. Not sure about accidents but I'd be suprised if there was none.

So the Council put metal barriers on each side of the pedestrian crossings. It's now impossible (bar jumping the barrier) to cross the road without using a designated pedestrian crossing.

Yes, there was moaning and whinging about it but it's safe, looks well and no accidents lately afaik.

Edit: I'll try a get a pic

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    ?? I'm sure that if I was an elderly pedestrian with limited mobility the very last thing I'd be wanting to do was jaywalk my way across a busy road
    It's only jay-walking if it's within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing.

The needs of pedestrians, particularly the elderly, are mostly ignored when the positioning and timing of crossing 'faciliities' are decided.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

micmclo wrote:

So the Council put metal barriers on each side of the pedestrian crossings. It's now impossible (bar jumping the barrier) to cross the road without using a designated pedestrian crossing.

Each side of the pedestrian crossing but not each side of the road.

If the crossing is greater than 12m there should be an island 3 m wide with railings.

A good idea which i've seen used abroad is that a median is used. This median is designed so that people cant get over it easily be it with shrubs, railings etc.

On a side note the 30kph speed limit is designed to work on estate roads that are single lane and rudced width. The reduced width causes channelisation which drivers find more difficult to drive through and in theory slow down.

On wide roads I'm not sure if this will work to well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Pedestrian Management?

Easiest way is to pedestrianise the city centre

kearnsr wrote:
    A good idea which i've seen used abroad is that a median is used. This median is designed so that people cant get over it easily be it with shrubs, railings etc.
    OK, then how about a compromise? You can have your barriers, but there must be a crossing point every 15 metres and the signal should activate in favour of pedestrians within 30 seconds of the button being pushed?

That'll result in only minor inconvenience for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

The current environment of our towns and cities is not condusive to fostering good pedestrian behaviour. People are just going to do their own thing considering how poor street design is with regard to peds. I use the term "street design" hesitantly of course - mostly it's a miracle there's a line down the middle to indicate lanes of opposing traffic. Nevermind handling parking etc.

As regards peds, the councils should put in proper zebra crossings instead of these fake two white line jobs. I highly doubt any study is mostly done for the placement of the latter, and they generally don't have warning signs (although in a few places the councils have gone to great lengths to put up ped crossing signs but not put zebra stripes or flashing lights).

Pelicans are only really useful in places where traffic is heavy enough that it's unlikely to stop without the force of a red light. Zebras by contrast basically allow people to cross as they do now except motorists are given warning that people will be crossing at that location - and of course in theory traffic should stop for peds readying to cross. Well-placed zebras are great to use as a pedestrian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Look at any street shots from Tokyo, Brussels etc. to see cities who have ped. crossings on ALL junctions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what really annoys me is busy junctions where there don't have ped crossing lights going everyway so you can get stuck on the wrong side and you just have to leg it across a busy road...

what really annoys me is busy junctions where there don't have ped crossing lights going everyway so you can get stuck on the wrong side and you just have to leg it across a busy road...
    The authorities main concern for decades, has been not to cause inconvenience to motorists and to make pedestrians pay the price.

The law even requires pedestrians who find themselves at a junction with only three sides covered by crossing 'facilities', to cross three times to reach their destination, waiting at each junction until it is the pleasure of motorists to stop & and also not obstruct the crossings.

Christchurch is an example where the most popular crossing point has no facility and, because of traffic islands, a pedestrian may have to make 6 crossings and wait at each one so as to comply with the pro-motorist laws.

At junctions where there is no crossing 'facility', pedestrians are permitted to cross in the same direction as the currently active line of traffic. Any vehicle turning across the pedestrian is required to give way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Pedestrian Management?

Easiest way is to pedestrianise the city centre
    Exactly. It's ridiculous that we still find (recently opened!) multi-storey carparks en-masse in and around the very core of the city. If this doesn't send out a clear message then what does. Time to hand the city back to us-people. Public transport of course must be allowed free passage but the city council and bus operators must look at alternatives to forcing every bus through the centre north-south axis.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Here's a suggestion - Forget about congesting charging, how about just banning most cars from large parts of the city centre?

The north quays are a good example - in one lane you have cars with hardly a few with more then one person in them, and then the buses in other lane (even when there's only a few people in them) take up less space.

The same can be said of the amount of people served by road or on street parking space compared to the amount of people on packed footpaths - and that's in places all around the city centre.

Same goes for Luas or future tram lines, potential disruption of cars should only be slightly be taken into account when planning any new lines.

It would kill business in the city centre I can hear somebody say already... well that's the kind of bull shlt that was said before many pedestrian streets were instated, on a larger scale it was the said think said about Bordeaux before they installed new tram lines and put in a city centre ban.

Re: A Dub in Glasgo's post - I should have read the whole thread before posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I'd be interested to know who has given this as the primary reason for the speed limit reduction! Obviously, first and foremost the reason is to slow vehicular traffic down and if successful, the number and severity of pedestrian injuiries will decrease.

The idea of channelisation of pedestrians is useful at certain junctions but is restrictive in a city centre environment....after all God gave us two legs to walk with not just to push accelerators with!!!!!! :):) Now there's someone else to blame............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

in my view, pedestrians should have priority over cars at all times and if one wishes to cross the road anywhere, the traffic should have to stop to allow them to......the motor car is to much of a god nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

People/driver don't react instantly and cars, buses and trucks don't stop instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

OK, then how about a compromise? You can have your barriers, but there must be a crossing point every 15 metres and the signal should activate in favour of pedestrians within 30 seconds of the button being pushed?
    +1 from me.
    Zoney wrote:
    As regards peds, the councils should put in proper zebra crossings instead of these fake two white line jobs.
    On one side (and only one side unfortunately) of Blanchardstown shopping centre there is a zebra crossing (in front of the library). I love it. Minimal inconvenience to pedestrians (and motorists for that matter).
    On the opposite side of the Centre (in front of PC World/Dunnes), Centre Management switch off the pedestrian crossing lights (well, it sticks on green for cars) so as not to inconvenience the cars. :rolleyes:

corktina wrote:
    in my view, pedestrians should have priority over cars at all times and if one wishes to cross the road anywhere, the traffic should have to stop to allow them to......the motor car is to much of a god nowadays.

Anywhere?
    daymobrew wrote:
    On one side (and only one side unfortunately) of Blanchardstown shopping centre there is a zebra crossing (in front of the library). I love it. Minimal inconvenience to pedestrians (and motorists for that matter).
    On the opposite side of the Centre (in front of PC World/Dunnes), Centre Management switch off the pedestrian crossing lights (well, it sticks on green for cars) so as not to inconvenience the cars. :rolleyes:

While they did close off one side, the removal of the zebra crossings at Eyre Square in Galway was the worst part of the redesign of the square.

• Advertisement

yes anywhere.....why not!...oh and there should be a guy with a red flag walking in front of the cars and they should all have to ahve a bale of hay in the boot too.....:cool:

corktina wrote:
    there should be a guy with a red flag walking in front of the cars
    Let's be serious. It's time to say to motorists 'the party is over', respect for others is the future, not the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I really don't know what everyone's on about. I drive around the city, and rarely if ever have any trouble avoiding pedestrians. Sure, people sometimes cross against the lights - but only when there's no traffic near, or when the traffic's held up.

Perhaps the reason I don't have problems is that I drive at a safe speed?

Pedestrians are only going to be in the way/a danger to motor traffic, if the driver is going too fast for safety.

luckat wrote:
    I really don't know what everyone's on about.
    I think the title of the thread 'Pedestrian Management', says it all. It smacks of apartheid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

corktina wrote:
    In California there is an implied pedestrian crossing at every junction i.e. it's there even if not marked.
    On quieter streets, as a pedestrian approaches a junction cars will often stop to let you cross. Ah, the effect of lawsuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

daymobrew wrote:
    In California there is an implied pedestrian crossing at every junction i.e. it's there even if not marked.
    On quieter streets, as a pedestrian approaches a junction cars will often stop to let you cross. Ah, the effect of lawsuits!

In theory, even in Ireland if you as a pedestrian are already crossing at a junction, motorists should stop for you - priority is given to pedestrians already crossing the road at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think the title of the thread 'Pedestrian Management', says it all. It smacks of apartheid.

As opposed to "Traffic management" of course :rolleyes:

Saruman wrote:
    As opposed to "Traffic management" of course :rolleyes:
    'Traffic management' is the administration of the privilege of road use by vehicles. 'Pedestrian Management' is the curtailment of a basic human right in order to facilitate vehicle users.

Oh, come on, driving is a basic human right, it's in the constitution... err, somewhere.

• Advertisement

aw feck..im agreeing with cyclopath..

..its like this...we're all road users...why should one group have priority over another simply because they are driving lethal weapons?

Advertisement