Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Pearse a Proto-fascist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think you need have ever studied any course to have a good knowledge of history. While I'm not huge on Irelands own history admittedly or even that interested in it to be honest, I do have a huge interest in European military history of the early to mid 20th century. A good discussion we had in which a lot of the board contributed for example, was here, and good general knowledge was displayed all around. I've, however, never once studied the second world war outside of the usual section of secondary school textbooks that literally skim over the entire conflict in a few pages. I have studied Irish military history to some extent, but lack of interest means that I don't retain the information well, and don't really post much even in topics I am knowledgeable about.

So while I agree that some of the knowledge is impressive I often find it's the natural enthusiasts that give far better answers then those who have merely studied it. Although that does go for alot of things apart from History, of course, and it's not always applicable either, as obviously many people who study history are doing so because they love it. But just generally.

Advertisement