Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbings

Options
  • 01-08-2007 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

What is it with all the stabbings? Who are these people carrying knives?

Is it ok to carry a knife, just in case? 24 votes

I always carry a knife
    0% 0 votes
    I don't carry, but know people who do
    20% 5 votes
    I don't carry but understand why people would
    16% 4 votes
    Carrying a knife should mean instant jail
    62% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just general thuggery and lack of respect for human life. If you carry a knife, you are looking for trouble. If you use it, you should be done for attempted murder or murder as the case may be. Assault charges or manslaughter is complete crap. Everyone knows the consequences of stabbing somebody. If you do it, you should be punished severely by the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

First off, your poll is a bit skewed (no pun intended).
    I think there should be other options.

To answer your question, some people do it to be hard and others are just paranoid. Then you have the nutjobs who do actually use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

you're asking for trouble plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stabbings almost triple in the past four years
    The number of serious stabbing incidents has almost tripled in the past four years, with 146 such episodes recorded last year
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/0604/1180720996294.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Terry wrote:
    First off, your poll is a bit skewed (no pun intended).
    I think there should be other options.

To answer your question, some people do it to be hard and others are just paranoid. Then you have the nutjobs who do actually use them.

Sorry about that. Always the way with a poll - you think "Should have included that" after the fact.

What would you have included - if you say, at least it'll open it to discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Collie D wrote:
    If you use it, you should be done for attempted murder
    attempted murder! now what is that! I mean do they give nobel prizes for attempted chemistry!?

- sideshow Bob Terwilleger

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

"I don't carry a knife".
    No attitions.

"I have never experienced this phenomonon".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Any chance you could add the:
    "I carry a soup spoon" option to the poll. :)

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Bollox wrote:
    attempted murder! now what is that! I mean do they give nobel prizes for attempted chemistry!?

- sideshow Bob Terwilleger

Haha, saw that episode yesterday, quality :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife I found on a dance floor, before I lost it myself. All I used or wanted it for was cutting open cardboard boxes and plastic packaging on crates of drinks in the newsagent I worked in.

I'm not the stabbing type, and I'm a bit alarmed that so many voters think I should face instant jail time. Maybe it is just the way the poll was worded or something.

• Advertisement

Any chance you could add the:
    "I carry a soup spoon" option to the poll. :)

Cheers..

Sorry. No.

a) I don't know that I can change the poll once it's set
    b) Surely soup spoons are taken as read?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I occasionally carry a knife but that is only when I need to butter my toast in the morning.

Wacker wrote:
    I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife I found on a dance floor, before I lost it myself. All I used or wanted it for was cutting open cardboard boxes and plastic packaging on crates of drinks in the newsagent I worked in.

I'm not the stabbing type, and I'm a bit alarmed that so many voters think I should face instant jail time. Maybe it is just the way the poll was worded or something.

I used to carry a pruning knife myself, just in case I'd see a friendly plant that needed cuttings taken ;) - but wouldn't do it now that stabbing people has become a national caitheamh aimsire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I think there are other ways of protecting yourself. Everybody has two fairly decent weapons on them all the time, they're called fists and if you know how to use them they can be very effective.

Friend of mine carries pepper spray every time he heads into town incase anybody tries to rob him or starts a fight with him.

I wouldn't for a second hesitate adopting his philosophy on the whole thing,
    must ask him where he got it.

After all, stabbing can be fatal could kill somebody.
    Pepperspray merely disables the attacker for long enough for you to get away.
    Scumbag 0, Pepperspray 1.

I'd say these idiots that go out to rob and start fights would think twice about robbin after getting a few doses of pepperspray in the face.

Just a thought

Oh, and i know perfectly well that pepperspray is illegal but so is carrying a knife as a weapon with intent to use it.

Pepperspray can in fact be lethal if inhaled. If someone starts on you, just walk away. If that isn't an option, such as if someone just runs over and decks you without warning, pepper spray won't help as it is kind of akward to spray someone (meaning that if you rush the process you'll just spray yourself like in Anchorman).

Wacker wrote:
    Pepperspray can in fact be lethal if inhaled. If someone starts on you, just walk away. If that isn't an option, such as if someone just runs over and decks you without warning, pepper spray won't help as it is kind of akward to spray someone (meaning that if you rush the process you'll just spray yourself like in Anchorman).
    in the case of a fight the same could happen with a knife

and in case that kind of justification doesnt make it right

artnotort wrote:
    in the case of a fight the same could happen with a knife

and in case that kind of justification doesnt make it right
    I would never recommend carrying a knife for self defense either.

Wacker wrote:
    I would never recommend carrying a knife for self defense either.
    misinterpretation on my part, i apologise

Mostly I rely on talking my way out of trouble.

And a rough-seeming homeless guy I spoke to at length for work purposes some years ago gave me a good tip: always carry a packet of cigarettes. If someone comes up to talk to you, take out a cigarette and offer them one, light up, and you've already formed a bond, which means people generally don't want to attack you.

Unless you're confronted by gangs of racists or the like, this mostly works better than upping the violence ante, imho.

NOT ACCEPTED!!! *stabs Artnotort*

• Advertisement

Who are the three who always carry knives? Care to explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

I always carry a knife with me. But it's the same as Wacker's knife above. It's a tiny knife that I use to open boxes in work and it has a scissors and a nail file for keeping my nails neat! I've never tried stabbing anyone with it (and would never consider trying it) but I imagine I wouldn't get a result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I always have a knife, if not on my person then usually in what ever bag I have with me.

Depending on the bag it is either in one of the pockets or buried in the bag at the bottom beside the lipstick and under the tissues, recpiets, bus ticked and packet of chewing gum.

It is a perfectly legal lock knife with a single sided 4 inch blade also know as a penknife.

Not the weapon of choice for killing anyone, or one that would be worth much in a fight either infact fumbling around to get it and to open it ( as it is is a bit stiff ) when in danger would most likely get me killed in that sort of situation there are other better options.

Pocket knives have many useful applications and all those stabbing will have been done by knifes a lot larger then a legal penknife,
    so sure if some one is carrying an offensive weapon they should be charged with that but there is a big difference between a offensive weapon and a pocket knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Wacker wrote:

:rolleyes:
    Well i'd imagine that if someone did start kicking the **** out of him for no reason he wouldn't give a **** if the pepperspray was lethal to the other person if inhaled, just be careful not to inhale it himself.

And i'd say that if some b**tard runs over and decks him without warning that nothing would be sweeter than giving him a good well deserved dose of pepper to the face :D
    I can just see him rolling around in a ball on the ground, laughin. This is my mate by the way after the triumph!

I don't need pepperspray anyway figure if anything happened i could do enough damage with what i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ok. This could not be any easyier.

Carrying knives and stabbing weapons is bad yes and should be instant 20 year sentance no quetions asked. but they wont do that here in our country and the gardai wont inforce the law strongly to stop people from carrying so quite simply it is Ok to carry a weapon for protection, i remember about 5 odd years ago when i had a free gaf (old house in kimmage) anyway had mates overand on the way into my house they asked us for smokes and well why would you give one of those things a smoke? they are not people like us. Anyway long story short, epic battle about 6 hours later where they threw pot plants and windows and my friends chaced them with steak knives and so forth , gardai came asked is if we where ok then one they where sure they left.

anyway next night of the free gaf its about 2am i get a call its my mates just out of there music concert thing in town want to head up so i said ok but i walked down to the main road to meet them. I had my extendo batton with me and as i approached the road about 6 or 7 of those things came out of the park and started to walk twards me, with what i had as a weapon considering they where drunk or tipsey and only had a hurley and several bits of wood broken off trees i thought i stood a good chance if they tried anything. They came close mouthed off them the girl who saw me with the extendo the night before told the other primitives to back off.
    And so it was.

Carrying weapons is and will be for quite some time a necessaty, sure id like to live a peacefull city as well but we dont.

we live in a corrupt litrtle **** **** hole where poeple can stab rob phones and get suspended sentence, or break into a 85 year old womans house tie her up steal everything, get cought and still no ****ing jail time

what sort of ****ing country do we live in? where peeple can get away with the shut they do while normel people (im assuming one of you are those sort of people whatever you want to call them) most of you voted "Carrying a knife SHOULD mean instant jail" i like the sord should and as i said i agree but since they wont do it, living in this country carrying a knife or other stabbing weapon is ok, also if you dont have a weapon and know or feel threatened go sharpen a big piece of wood from a tree on a wall sharpen sharpen sharpen...

I only did that once when i felt threatened and was unarmed on the way out of town.

Carrying a knife all the time is Stupid, what if you are going on a flight?
    what f your mates decide to go to a nightclub that does a search of everyone.

*end rant*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

you're just asking for trouble if you pull a knife

User45701 wrote:
    Ok. This could not be any easyier.

Carrying knives and stabbing weapons is bad yes and should be instant 20 year sentance no quetions asked. but they wont do that here in our country and the gardai wont inforce the law strongly to stop people from carrying so quite simply it is Ok to carry a weapon for protection, i remember about 5 odd years ago when i had a free gaf (old house in kimmage) anyway had mates overand on the way into my house they asked us for smokes and well why would you give one of those things a smoke? they are not people like us. Anyway long story short, epic battle about 6 hours later where they threw pot plants and windows and my friends chaced them with steak knives and so forth , gardai came asked is if we where ok then one they where sure they left.

anyway next night of the free gaf its about 2am i get a call its my mates just out of there music concert thing in town want to head up so i said ok but i walked down to the main road to meet them. I had my extendo batton with me and as i approached the road about 6 or 7 of those things came out of the park and started to walk twards me, with what i had as a weapon considering they where drunk or tipsey and only had a hurley and several bits of wood broken off trees i thought i stood a good chance if they tried anything. They came close mouthed off them the girl who saw me with the extendo the night before told the other primitives to back off.
    And so it was.

Carrying weapons is and will be for quite some time a necessaty, sure id like to live a peacefull city as well but we dont.

we live in a corrupt litrtle **** **** hole where poeple can stab rob phones and get suspended sentence, or break into a 85 year old womans house tie her up steal everything, get cought and still no ****ing jail time

what sort of ****ing country do we live in? where peeple can get away with the shut they do while normel people (im assuming one of you are those sort of people whatever you want to call them) most of you voted "Carrying a knife SHOULD mean instant jail" i like the sord should and as i said i agree but since they wont do it, living in this country carrying a knife or other stabbing weapon is ok, also if you dont have a weapon and know or feel threatened go sharpen a big piece of wood from a tree on a wall sharpen sharpen sharpen...

I only did that once when i felt threatened and was unarmed on the way out of town.

Carrying a knife all the time is Stupid, what if you are going on a flight?
    what f your mates decide to go to a nightclub that does a search of everyone.

*end rant*

I honestly do not know what to say to that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What about exceptions.

A martial arts instructor with a samurai sword strolling to class?
    A farmer carrying a knife when buying pallets of supplies?

Or are they covered by this blanket ban as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Stabbing weapons liek what a pencil ?

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote:
    What about exceptions.

A martial arts instructor with a samurai sword strolling to class?
    A farmer carrying a knife when buying pallets of supplies?

Or are they covered by this blanket ban as well?

Well obvioulsy there are exceptions, some people do use knives for work eg my brother is a chef and he had his own knife set which he'd paid a fair bit of his own cash for so he didn't like to leave them in work. However, as far as I can remember he went down to the local Garda station and explained his situation and got them to write a letter saying they were for work use just in case he was ever stopped by the Justice Squadron. Although, a martial arts instructor with a Samurai sword would be a tricky one to explain. I think the OP was referring to general knife carrying for protection/assault reason.

Advertisement