Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper / fast food in Cork

Options

Comments

You've had an awful run of luck with the chippers so.

I'm trying to give up, cut down on the ole fast food now the last few months, one can cope with it in their twenties but I want to head into my thirties in a healthy groove. I do love fast food though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

morgana wrote: »
    Tried Lennox ages ago and was distinctly underwhelmed, can't understand what the fuss is all about.
    Its fair to say that if Lennox's can get over 70 votes that many people in Cork City have very low standards when it comes to how their fast food actually tastes. The fact that the place is always relatively busy tells you that they have their chips/burgers pre cooked to deal with the demand. Never a good sign of a chipper.

For the record, i've eaten in Dinos in Blackpool the last couple of times and i found their burgers to be delicious. Cooked there on the spot while you wait. Not quite as good as Watkins on Mardyke St but still very tasty.

grenache wrote: »
    Its fair to say that if Lennox's can get over 70 votes that many people in Cork City have very low standards when it comes to how their fast food actually tastes. The fact that the place is always relatively busy tells you that they have their chips/burgers pre cooked to deal with the demand. Never a good sign of a chipper.

Or one could say it's fair to say Lennox's make great tasting stuff but the odd time they get some folks in that don't like it. The fact that the place is always relatively busy and has been so for over 50 years would make it fair to say that all of these people can't have low standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Omar guest

Mac Donalds has been in business longer, made more money. How do u rate there food? surely all those people cant be wrong. The only reasons people buy is because its cheap fast and salty and full of fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

If I had to go and buy a burger in a fast food place then McDonalds would win hands down.. their burgers would beat lennox's any day in terms of taste and lack of grease. just imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Faith wrote: »
    It probably wasn't fair singling out Lennox's there, because I've also gotten horrible burgers from the Golden Fry and KCs. They just seem like McDonalds burgers that have been cooked to death - all skinny and gross. If I want a skinny burger, I'd just go to McDonalds tbh. I've stopped ordering burgers from chippers now.

every cheese burger ive gotten from kc's has those massive (homemade esq) burgers and proper cheese!!! yum yum

KC's all the way!!!

mmmmmm....i love their whole hog!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Omar guest

If its burgers your after go 2 Supermacs on north main st. Get the 5oz beef burger. It took them about 10 min 2 cook the thing that was the only problem. I expected it 2 b the worst in town, but turned out 2 be the best.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Or one could say it's fair to say Lennox's make great tasting stuff but the odd time they get some folks in that don't like it. The fact that the place is always relatively busy and has been so for over 50 years would make it fair to say that all of these people can't have low standards.

Lots of people drink Carling and Guinness too, doesn't mean that they're the best lager and stout around! People choose Lennox's because its fast service, not because it necessarily tastes better.

grenache wrote: »
    People choose Lennox's because its fast service
    lol, you've either done a survey or plucked that info out of your arse, i wonder which . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

The thing with Lennoxes is you have to get your timing right to get the savage food its famous for. When they have the younger crowd( the secondary school students and new crowd) working in the back the food tends to be sub-par but when the veterans of the place are on the food is savage. Have been going there since i was a a child since my nans is around the corner and every time i go id always have a good chat with them and they give pretty generous portions. Have only been to KC's three or four times and each time it was a ball of mushy chips i got and the burgers were dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

LOL the powers that be at KC's have spotted this thread, and have linked to it on their Facebook page!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

Even though its not on the poll, Id have to say Dino's in Bishopstown. That was a regular haunt of mine during my college yrs! Just loved their chips, esp after coming out of the Outpost after one of our spontaneous "lets go for just one and emerge 7 hrs later" afternoon booze ups. And what was even better was that the staff in the Outpost didnt mind ppl bringing their chips in and eating them there, once there was drink being purchased! Happy days!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sorry but the vast majority of people like bland **** - Looks at the superpowers in food and drink, McDonalds, Budweiser, Guinness, Starbucks, etc. etc. just because people go to these places or drink/eat this ****e in big numbers doesn't make it any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

My No. 1 is Denny's in Riverstown, Glanmire.
    Best chips due to their assembly line of oil baths at different temps.
    Very big portions of chips, you would almost need nothing else with the curry chips, but I do force myself.

My No. 2 is Lennox's, Bandon road. Enough said already.

My No. 3 is Cahanes, Midleton. Amazingly fast service.
    No fancy stuff( no Burgers, Curry, Cheese, Pizza's)
    You order chips by asking for "a bag", small chips by asking for a "half bag".
    I usually get a bag and a half as the bag is not huge, though very tasty.
    They don't need to sell fish by day anymore, they make more than enough from the chipper.
    They don't open on Sundays. :(

Was in Mattie Kiely's once - Legend, he put me in my place when I asked for no onions on the cheese burger. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Yeah Mattie Kielys was savage alright. Such a pity its gone :(

Faith wrote: »
    LOL the powers that be at KC's have spotted this thread, and have linked to it on their Facebook page!

I wonder will they link the one about Kebabs in Douglas, I doubt it ;)
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055916090
    Might prompt them to sort out the reported cheese issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

And for hygene they are top notch . I worked there doing every type of job in there its the only chipper i feel safe eating from as they are strict on every form of cleaning, storing foods at right temps and wearing gloves etc .
    Buceph wrote: »
    My aunt used to run a bakery, and the health inspector would come in every so often. Her place was so clean that the guy would usually just give it a glance and have a cup of coffee with her. She said one guy they got talking about chippers, and Lennox's came up. The health inspector said there is no better place in Cork, be it a café, McDonalds, five star hotel or greasy spoon than Lennox's for cleanliness and proper practice. And you can tell just by looking at the place, it's bloody spotless in the back with the machines. I'd say working there must be a nightmare when it comes to cleaning.

Sorry for dragging this thread back a bit but I have to disagree with this.
    I cant say about the cleanliness as I have never been out the back of the shop but they are not 100% on the proper practice front. I have never seen anyone in there wearing gloves. I have been served by the same guy who takes the money & handles the food. None of the guys in there wear hairnets.

I have seen them get a teatowel & wipe down the area where they serve & the chip tray with it. They then throw the teatowel back under the counter & start serving again without washing their hands. This is including the guys who actually serve the food. I've never stayed there long enough to witness it but I bet they wipe the counter down again later with the same teatowel.

I have also seen the staff serving behind the counter drinking soft drinks. These are all things that should'nt be done for food hygiene reasons.

That being said though they are not alone in this type of behaviour. Somebody mentioned Istanbul on Oliver Plunkett Street. I have seen them use the same knife for slicing the doner kebabs as well as the chicken kebabs one after the other which leads to cross contamination.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Sorry but the vast majority of people like bland **** - Looks at the superpowers in food and drink, McDonalds, Budweiser, Guinness, Starbucks, etc. etc. just because people go to these places or drink/eat this ****e in big numbers doesn't make it any good.
    Well said Denis!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I'd rather get a chinese tbh :)

Kersmash wrote: »
    I'd rather get a chinese tbh :)

I like my chinese too, different foods for different moods.

But sometimes you just cant beat a bag of real chips with a lash of salt.
    :pac::pac::pac::D

• Advertisement

I was in a chipper on Sullivans Quay a couple of years ago when something went on fire. The guy there said "I'll be with you in a minute" and proceeded to get an extinguisher and fight the fire.( Fair enough I suppose )
    The place filled with smoke, I quietly slipped out but the rest of the queue stayed like it was a normal occurence. :cool:
    I didn't fancy extinguisher powder on my chips. :D

Went to the chipper next to the community hall in Fairhill once, I thought this was dire. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

I'd go for Lennox's but bring back Mattie Kiely any day, there was a true chipper!

100% with you on that one,a lovely chap as well.always had time for a friendly chat and bit of banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 HighOnFire

Im more than sure that i dont like chips from Hillbilly's. Theyre all greasy and not fried properly. Yuck. I dont like that stuff.

I think youll be interested in this: i used to work in Abrakebabra (Mahon Point) and we were changing oil every 7 days. Which means that chips are ok first 3 days (mon, tue, wed).. thursday, friday+ the oil is completely black and on sat/sun the chips look like s**t! ... im really suprised, that its actually possible to make tons of chips on two 5l buckets of oil. On wednesday there is that special offer 4.95 for a meal right? 80kg on that day like nothing.. so you can imagine how yummy the chips are few days later.. so in abrakebabra buy chips just on monday and tuesday.. and wednesday... around noon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

HighOnFire wrote: »

I think youll be interested in this: i used to work in Abrakebabra (Mahon Point) and we were changing oil every 7 days.

That's gross! Oil used that frequently should be changed every 2 days at the very least!! *vomit*

kingtut wrote: »
    That's gross! Oil used that frequently should be changed every 2 days at the very least!! *vomit*

Yep, disgusting. theres always some oil added from time to time during the week, but its not more than a bucket (5L). And in this oil dippers are fried, onion rings etc. those dippers from fresh oil looked so nice and crispy as they should, but on saturday and sunday theyre really terrible. And its not just this. The teflon used for the top part of the grill (where burgers are made) simply ran out of its lifetime lets say. What do you think that is actually happening with this piece of teflon? nothing, its still used like nothing is wrong with it. there are burnt bitsof meat sticked to that teflon and from time to time they just stick to the meat. very nice bonus for your quarterpounder. ive been told, that this teflon is very expensive. something like 300e for one (or two-guy said that he dont remember :confused: .. hehe). See, and this is whats happening when somebody is eager for money. There was some case with Trade Union i think when one guy wanted to get his money (as we should get more than minimum wage, some sundays etc. thats what Rights Commissioner said), but that is some another story...

So all of you, if you go somewhere to buy some food, think about the oil and dont hesitate to ask when the oil was changed. They probably wont tell you the truth, but if u can see the friers from the counter.... Do you know where is Indian Moon on Georges quay right? I was there 2 days ago an my friend was pushing me into a meal (lunch meal -special offer for 8e or something like that..), and when i saw that coal-black oil i just bought a tikka kebab and a can of sprite...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

my cousin went to dinos in blackpool and got a cheeseburger with no burger in it, she only realised two bites in. Ya that was awkward. Needless to say she will not be going back there any time soon!

my cousin went to dinos in blackpool and got a cheeseburger with no burger in it, she only realised two bites in. Ya that was awkward. Needless to say she will not be going back there any time soon!

lol.. this happened in abra as well once or twice.. its not an intention.. nothing to worry about, just a silly mistake..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

as for kc's in douglas its really nice but its not exactly a chipper is it??
    +1
    The chips in KC suit being put at the bottom of their (brilliant) pittas, but are crap on their own. Instead of a nice crisp chip, you're left with a lump of mush stuck to your palate.

It's got to the point where one of us goes to KCs for the pittas and the other goes to Dinos for chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

rcdk1 wrote: »
    +1
    The chips in KC suit being put at the bottom of their (brilliant) pittas, but are crap on their own. Instead of a nice crisp chip, you're left with a lump of mush stuck to your palate.

It's got to the point where one of us goes to KCs for the pittas and the other goes to Dinos for chips.

Just get a deep fat fryer tbh.

Advertisement