Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Scalextric Thread

Options
  • 27-07-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

I did a search and realised there hasent been one yet this year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/searchbt.php?search=scalextric

Anyone with any to sell?
    I was shocked at the prices on the official site, myself my dad and 2 mates got locked there last weekend and played scalertrix for about 10 hours and it was good crack, i love my pc and all but id forgotten how much fun scalextric was when i was a kid.
    Anyway anyone else into it?
    Still have one?
    Still uses one?
    Has one to sell?
    Knows a cheap online site that sells?
    Knows stores in Dublin that still sell (id say that shop in Dunleary shopping centre still sells scalextric)

anyone else play it recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Oooohhh, a scalextric club! sounds deadly. i have a few cars in the attic..as far as i can remember i have gerhard berger's ferrari! and an old williams i'll have a look..if they're in good condition i could probably send them onto someone for free..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SRBRGS

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Oooohhh, a scalextric club! sounds deadly. i have a few cars in the attic..as far as i can remember i have gerhard berger's ferrari! and an old williams i'll have a look..if they're in good condition i could probably send them onto someone for free..

There's a whole world of it out there;

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?

Very little action in Ireland though. Re your cars - maybe you should keep them in case you get interested again!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 opc-pat

hi lads, im in the middle of building my scalextric digital track at the moment, timber base almost finished its a L shape design running about 17ft x 4ft in my garage, have been collecting sets/tracks and cars with a good few years so i have built up a fair amount of stuff, bought the 6 car digital powerbase over christmas and sending it to the UK to get a few mods done to it soon, this is the link to where im sending it, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/aj.sykes/PBPro/index.html, going for the full upgrades on the powerbase, will post pics soon..

any scalextric fans in cork area??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 manufan75

hey lads.dont know if there is a club in cork but hope there is.i have scalextric digital and im hoping to build a permenant layout in my attic soon.could do with a bit more track and scenery.any suggestions on where is a good place to get second stuff.thanks
    opc-pat wrote: »
    hi lads, im in the middle of building my scalextric digital track at the moment, timber base almost finished its a L shape design running about 17ft x 4ft in my garage, have been collecting sets/tracks and cars with a good few years so i have built up a fair amount of stuff, bought the 6 car digital powerbase over christmas and sending it to the UK to get a few mods done to it soon, this is the link to where im sending it, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/aj.sykes/PBPro/index.html, going for the full upgrades on the powerbase, will post pics soon..

any scalextric fans in cork area??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ronan71

No official scalextric clubs in Ireland apart from one near Belfast as far as I'm aware, but I'm part of a group of up to 10 guys who meet up every second thursday night in the Dublin area to race slot cars. We meet up in each others homes and race on a variety of four lane non-digital analog tracks.

If anyone out there is interested in coming along to a race night then send me a PM and I'll give you more details.

I just set up a simple blog to show some track pictures (starting with my own, a 4 lane track made from routed MDF) and some of the cars I have been working on recently. Have a look at it here:

http://dublinslotcars.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement

Hey Ronan71,
    Nice track.love the ideal of the club.like home and away races.was it difficult to build your own wooden track.its a pitty but there are no clubs here in cork and i dont see any in the near future.im building in my attic at the moment.board down,track designed and have settled on the scenery.its just a matter of putting it together.well happy racing.
    Ronan71 wrote: »
    No official scalextric clubs in Ireland apart from one near Belfast as far as I'm aware, but I'm part of a group of up to 10 guys who meet up every second thursday night in the Dublin area to race slot cars. We meet up in each others homes and race on a variety of four lane non-digital analog tracks.

If anyone out there is interested in coming along to a race night then send me a PM and I'll give you more details.

I just set up a simple blog to show some track pictures (starting with my own, a 4 lane track made from routed MDF) and some of the cars I have been working on recently. Have a look at it here:

http://dublinslotcars.blogspot.com/

manufan75 wrote: »
    Hey Ronan71,
    Nice track.love the ideal of the club.like home and away races.was it difficult to build your own wooden track.its a pitty but there are no clubs here in cork and i dont see any in the near future.im building in my attic at the moment.board down,track designed and have settled on the scenery.its just a matter of putting it together.well happy racing.

Glad you like the track! It wasn't terribly difficult to build the track out of wood and the end result is very satisfying. I do wish I had more room for a larger track but that is a common complaint in this hobby!

This website: http://www.oldslotracer.com

is very informative when it comes to wood tracks (plus there are some amazing tracks pictured there) and they sell a brilliant wood track routing kit which I've used on the tracks I've made.

My wife is from Cork in fact so maybe the next time I'm down I can bring some cars over for a race! LOL! You should search this site: http://www.slotforum.com

as I have seen one or two different guys from Cork looking for people to race against. Also I don't know if Marks Models is still open on Oliver Plunkett Street, but if it is then it might be worth putting up a notice or a flyer looking for people to race with.

If you happen to be in Dublin let me know and you would be welcome to try out my track.

Ronan

hey ronan71,
    i checked out those sites, and they are pretty cool.got some ideas from them.marks models is still here in cork.ive gotten some of my scalextric and hornby from there but lately finding them very expensive.its a costly hobby but we keep trying.thanks for the web sites.:)
    Ronan71 wrote: »
    Glad you like the track! It wasn't terribly difficult to build the track out of wood and the end result is very satisfying. I do wish I had more room for a larger track but that is a common complaint in this hobby!

This website: http://www.oldslotracer.com

is very informative when it comes to wood tracks (plus there are some amazing tracks pictured there) and they sell a brilliant wood track routing kit which I've used on the tracks I've made.

My wife is from Cork in fact so maybe the next time I'm down I can bring some cars over for a race! LOL! You should search this site: http://www.slotforum.com

as I have seen one or two different guys from Cork looking for people to race against. Also I don't know if Marks Models is still open on Oliver Plunkett Street, but if it is then it might be worth putting up a notice or a flyer looking for people to race with.

If you happen to be in Dublin let me know and you would be welcome to try out my track.

Ronan

manufan75 wrote: »
    hey ronan71,
    i checked out those sites, and they are pretty cool.got some ideas from them.marks models is still here in cork.ive gotten some of my scalextric and hornby from there but lately finding them very expensive.its a costly hobby but we keep trying.thanks for the web sites.:)

Glad you liked that website, it is really full of great tracks!

Yeah, Marks in Dublin is pretty pricey too, but there are a few good online retailers I use too so usually I can get a good price on stuff.

Do keep me up to date if you manage to get a slot scene up and running in Cork, certainly would make me come down and visit the inlaws more often! LOL!

Thought I'd bump this thread. Just on the off chance there might be someone out there interested in slot car racing.

We race every 2nd Thursday night in the Dublin area and we would love a few more regulars because if only one or two regulars can't make it on the night then we don't have enough people to both race and marshall the cars. A shame there isn't more interest in the hobby, clubs seem to be in every sizeable town in the UK, but apart from our small group there aren't any in Ireland apart from a group in Belfast.

We don't take it too seriously and it's usually a fun evening out of the house!

PM me if you have any interest in scalextric at all.

Ronan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭darrenmcc

just a quick bump to see if there's any meets still goin on with this?
    ive been lookin for certain bits of track (sport, c9202) and found so far, it seems to be cheaper to get from the UK. and i'm over there every now and again sein family (from scotland) and just throwing it in my cabin luggage and bringing it home

Hi Darren, the small group I race with still meet up every 2nd Thursday night and at the moment we are working on a new track which is pretty large (16ft x 8ft) so it's still a lot of fun.

Pretty much zero interest in slot car racing however in Ireland still, I put up a notice in Marks Models on Hawkins Street in town around last April or so asking anyone with an interest in racing slot cars to email me and I did not get a single response. Just the way it is I suppose.

One or two more regulars in our group would be very welcome as it can be hard sometimes to get enough out every two weeks to have a good race night.

Hey Ronan, thats kl, i've got lodas of the classic track, and managed to get a hold of a le mans start aswell, but i'll be adding the le mans to the sport section with the help of 2x conversion tracks. i've got a plan made up to have a table of sport track, then a table then can be lifted off which will have the classic track on it, meanin i can keep my old cars without havin to convert them to digital. the sport track will eventually be upgraded to digital but thats all long term plans. wots your new track like, if u dont mind me asking? i had put up all of my cars on slotforum (darrenmcc is username) but it was my bday on monday and got a fair surprise when my dad arrived with alot of cars. most he had bought for my bday, and some i won on a well known auction site and had delivered to dads.

i was up in toymaster in dublin 2day, and the price of some of the cars etc was outrageous, and when i asked if club members got a discount, the women looked at me like i was a rite tw@t. dont suppose you know anywhere here that i could get some
    c8202's?

i'm down in mullingar at the moment, tho had a job interview today, and hopefully movin upto swords area soon if i get the job. oh, and the house has an "attic for storage" which the misses knows me to well and said as soon as she noticed it:"so that'll be where the cars are going then?". All i had to do was look and smile :)

I love those Le Mans starts! They really look superb! I was tempted to add one to my routed track (the beauty of making the track from MDF is you can recreate any sore of old scalextric track piece) but I didn't in the end as sometimes we run races in the opposite direction which could be a problem if a car running "the wrong way" for the Le Mans start! (Terminally broken guides for starters!).

I think you have the right idea in having both a digital and analogue set up. Apart from the cost of the chips, it is nice when you get a new car to test it and set it up prior to adding the chip, plus often when a new car arrives it is nice to be able to run it straight away.

Here is a link to a race report I did for a race night in July on my track which has some good pics of my track and the cars we use:

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57278

Here is the link to the rest of the race night reports (not up to date at the moment, I have to put up the last 3 race nights yet, but hope to do so this weekend):

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=156

Dave's track is the other one we use a lot and it was my track up until March last year when I sold it to him and started on my new track. Both are made from MDF sheets with the slots routed into them. There is no magnetic effect so the cars slide more, but the paint finish is slightly abrasive and therefore grippy, plus on many of our cars we have replaced the rear tyres with softer, grippier urethane rubber tyres (easily available from a few good sellers that I use), and personally I love the way the two tracks run.

We sometimes use George's track which is a classic scalextric track, and a large one too (about 16ft x 4ft) but personally I find it a bit tricky as with the magnetic effect it has the cars will let go very quickly when you reach the limit.

The new track is nearly at the routing stage (we hope to start cutting the slots soon) and it's not in my house, but in Paul's house out in Rathoath. He has the most room for a track and this one will be a 16ft x 8ft monster. He had a similar sized Ninco track (4 lanes) but this new wood design will be the best track in the group by far I think.

Very nice of your Dad to get you some slot cars! I think my Dad would more likely wonder why I'm wasting money on them!

I'm not an expert at all on plastic track, but Paul the guy in Rathoath has a new hobby shop near him and they carry scalextric stuff or can order it. I can ask him to check the availability/cost of the c8202 sections if you like, but I suspect buying online or in the UK would be the cheapest way to go.

Good luck with the job interview! If you end up in Swords then you won't be too far away from Dave's in Raheny or Paul's in Rathoath so you would be very welcome to come along on a race night and try your hand at it. We don't take it too seriously and spend half the time talking rubbish!
    I'm in Dundrum and George is in Cabinteely, so a trip on the M50 from Swords.

My wife is the same, she knows when I start loosing the run of myself and start spending too much on the hobby! She tends to give me a reality check then!

I must check out your pictures on slotforum, my user name there is simply "Ronan".

You can send me an email to rsdonohoe@gmail.com if you like and I can send you back some photos of the most recent race nights that I haven't yet put up on slotforum.

Good luck in the hunt for the track parts you need!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hi Ronan & co,

I've read with interest this thread. Pity there is not a great deal of interest but at least you have few people in the group.

I'm sure the Slot forum gives you great comfort.

I as a slot lurker wish you and your slot racers well.:)

BTW The photos and reports on Slot Forum are great, I wonder have posted anything on Youtube?

Regards JD.

Thanks for the good wishes JD!

It's true that I have found a great group of guys to race with and next year we are thinking about trying to travel to the UK to visit other clubs over there which would be fun.

I'm a slot forum addict! It's one of the first things I check every day! Glad you like the reports and the photos, I have 3 reports pending (the last 3 race nights) that I hope to put up on slot forum in the next few days so watch that space so to speak!

I haven't any recent videos on you tube but that is a good idea, I must take some video on our next race night and post it. It might grab someones attention!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thought you'd like this Ronan & co.

Thanks! I loved that video! Very interesting to see how much of the manufacturing process is by hand.

Hey, sorry ive not got back to you Ronan, been mad busy with tryin to get work etc. why cant jobs just be plain old 9-5pm mon to fri?! anyways, had a look at yer track meets on SF, looks good. good to see there's an interest in it here. Ive managed to pick up 2 packs of 22.5degree radius 1 bends for a meer....£6 :) lol about €7.50 (i think). was lookin for the 45degree radius 1 bends but couldnt find any...and my luck, after i bought those ones....the 45degree ones came up :( anyways, i'll finish off my track prob after xmas by the time i get a table etc built.

didnt get the house in swords, estate agent said the occupiers where still there (thursday) and would be for another few weeks, so foned yesterday just to ask if she couldnt contact me when was available and what news does she have for me...."oh, thats already away!". fuming I was! seen a few more houses in Balbriggan area so will see what comes of these, tho 1 is looking good.

lol I tend to wait until the g/f is working before having a sneaky look at what cars are out etc, but with it coming upto xmas, ive put a little stop to buying any more cars...unless there's a bargain to be had. need a track setup before gettin any more cars.

I was having a look at some of the idea's they're using at trying to promote the slot world back home, and it seems as if (in scotland anyways) there's alot of "Hidden Users" in the term that not alot of people admit to collecting/using slot cars. but in England, they've been settin up stands in schools and such, not sure if that sort of route would work here. would take alot of time and effort tho, and having seen some of the prices of the cars in toymaster etc, i cant blame people for not wanting to purchase some of the stuff. I mean, a crash proof mini for €50??? thats ridiculous! a certain auction site, and you'll get one for €20-€25, and thats a digital one to!

god i seem to be in rant mode today! must be that bloody estate agent women!

oh, n thats a good vid Greenman. wonder if its the same sorta idea for the trains etc. my dad was into trains when he was young, still has some that are worth a pretty penny, but he wouldnt part with them, dont blame him, dont think i'll part with my scalex cars now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Thats a great clip.

I'm in the process of dusting off my old race & chase sets from the late seventies that have been dry stored in the attic for years. Prob will take a lot before up & running but have to start somewhere. I'll get a few pics.
    I'm in the North West so no good for the meetings.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

spotted this lot while browsing adverts there,
    http://www.adverts.ie/radio-control/scalextric-giant-size-grand-prix-scalextric-circuit-cars-pit-lane-spectator-gallery-realistic-replica-models-16-x-18/1109553

thought it might interest somebody here.
    i'd love to get my hands on some of the cars alone as static display items.

he has got some nice cars there! crackin track, just wouldnt have the space for something like that. think i'd have a snooker table or pool table in the space instead lol still, wouldnt mind havin that at all! nice find!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

That's miles better then any pool table. Takes up way less space too. You need a clear path on all sides of a pool table remember ;)

thats true. i'd have just about as much fun with both tho. still, crackin track nonetheless and the cars are equally as nice

sorry for bringing this back up. haved now moved to Clondalkin, looking for some MDF and having been in woody's, not sure i'll get the sizes i'm looking for. i'd rather have 2 bits of mdf joined together but the total size i'm looking for is 320x105 cms.
    its the 105cms part thats gettin me. if i could even get the 320cms in 2 parts, 160x105cms then i could join 2 of them 2gether. anyone any idea where i would get some mdf in these measurements?

thanks

Hi Darren, I'd on balance go for 12mm thick sheets of MDF (strong enough but not as heavy as the 18mm thick stuff). I know B&Q will cut the stuff to size in their store and that's where I got my MDF, so probably worth a look there.

Send me a PM if you like and I can get back to you with my email address and send you on some links and photos about using MDF for a track or a table.

If you are interested in coming along to a racenight then likewise send me a message and I can give you contact details for the group. We currently have pretty good turnouts at the moment and great racing, plus several great tracks between us. Lots of fun!

Ronan

Hey Ronan,

popped into b&q there, I was hoping that I could have 2 sheets of MDF to cover wall to wall, but doesnt look like it'll have enough width. looks like i'll have to go about it the long way....about 4 sheets of mdf.

goin back to scotland in the next few weeks and still job hunting so i'm strapped for cash until i get somethingbut once i get something sorted and get a few decent cars for racing i'd be up for that.

pm sent

thanks again

Darren

MDF is reasonably easy to work with so hopefully you can get the set up you want with it. Good luck with the job hunt, a few of the guys in the group are in a similar position. Keep in touch and hope to see you out racing soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 coules67

have lots of track and 2 porches all digital for sale cork area phone or text < Edit: personal data removed by Mod.>

Adverts.ie is the place for classified ads. Not here.
    Ref : Charter Thread - Rule #6

When OP has placed an ad in adverts.ie, a new post in this thread containing a link is welcome.

Advertisement