Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what really is the meaning of life?

Options
  • 27-07-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Ok so I went for a few pints tonight and one guy in particular was constantly on about how much money he made and how much money and how many things other people had. Is that any way to go through life? I mean I make enough to survive, i'm happy, I have my little house and my car. OK I could pay myself better and get a bigger car and a bigger house but what does a single man like me need with these things. so what are your opinions? is life all about possessions and money or is there a better explanation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Blowjobs.........as long as I'm getting them I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What exactly would you like the meaning of life to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Kenny 5's answer is good. Blowjobs and more of em all round. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Is life as a reality,only an existince. Yet never to become the object of thought?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Kenny 5 wrote:

no wonder ur happy,single life sucks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The meaning of life is ...............

KTRIC wrote:
    The meaning of life is ...............

It is but first you must realise what question you're actually asking.

zippy28 wrote:
    It is but first you must realise what question you're actually asking.

Exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I thought it was 42

MooseJam wrote:
    I thought it was 42
    Dammit i think you're right but it's been a while since I read it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

The meaning of life is a difficult question to get your head around. It is a combination between the immediate and remote. Most important is love and health etc.

On a more immediate basis, it is all about money and prosperity as far as I am concerned. When thinkig about the next 12 months I am concerned about making money, getting closer to buying a house and getting further in work (promotion etc). I also love earning hard cash.

But then again, what does any of that matter when counted against family or your health?

I think you just need to muddle through. In facyt I shouldn't even be answering on this thread as I have taken drink and my thoughts at 1.50am will be much different to those at 7.30am.

**smokes fag then goes to bed, thankful for flexitime**

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

zippy28 wrote:
    Ok so I went for a few pints tonight and one guy in particular was constantly on about how much money he made and how much money and how many things other people had. Is that any way to go through life? I mean I make enough to survive, i'm happy, I have my little house and my car. OK I could pay myself better and get a bigger car and a bigger house but what does a single man like me need with these things. so what are your opinions? is life all about possessions and money or is there a better explanation?

Possessions are handy when they make yer life easier or more comfortable, I like my cars and laptop and gadgets and me big Italian leather sofa, however I cant understand people who tie themselves to or define themselves by their possessions.

dont know where I heard this but

'the secret to happiness is to just be happy'

oh and Blowjobs FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

Every time I find the meaning of life, they change it:mad:

zippy28 wrote:
    Dammit i think you're right but it's been a while since I read it last.

Nope with the current inflation its officially been upgraded to 48. 42 is no longer the meaning of life anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Blowjobs are fantastic.................

(as far as I can remember).

:(

My current meaning of life is getting more than 7K on Desktop tower defence. (Thanks Ruu) I've only done i twice so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

I reckon the meaning of life is actually the search to answer that very question. By trying to understand this difficult question we are seeking to improve ourselves; our knowledge, our understanding of our purpose here. Everything else relates back to this basic need to improve; we seek to do well in our selected careers so that we can rise within the ranks and attempt to make ourselves more than we originally started as. We all strive to find someone to share our lives with, therefore allowing us to grow in ways we otherwise would not be able to. All our achievments and goals in life can be thought of as a longing to improve ourselves, an attempt to leave this life as more then we started. The search for the meaning of life is the epitome of this; this is the ultimate answer we all crave, but perhaps the search for it is what we're actually looking for in the first place.

Oh yeah, and definitely blowjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

to realise your dream of becoming the person you want to be.

in a non-superficial way.

basically, in becoming happy and comfortable in yourself... discovering yourself, and improving on yourself... and using yourself, your discoveries and personality to help somebody else... to pass on that learning and help make somebody else's life that little bit better/happier/more meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

also, had to laugh, am on msn at the moment, and while reading this thread my mate comes out with "i make all this money, but i have no time to spend it"... which kinda seems like an important point too...

maybe the secret of life is getting your priorities right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Money,women,fast car,food,drink,music,power,good job, and to reproduce! :D

• Advertisement

narco wrote:
    also, had to laugh, am on msn at the moment, and while reading this thread my mate comes out with "i make all this money, but i have no time to spend it"... which kinda seems like an important point too...

maybe the secret of life is getting your priorities right?
    That's it, it's priorities. What's the point in having all that money if you're not happy. As me ma says "You can't bring it to your grave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

worth a read (funny last line a bonus)

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full?

They agreed that it was. So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full.

They agreed it was. The students laughed. The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. "Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognise that this is your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full". "The pebbles are the other things that mat! ter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the rocks first - the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand".

A student took the jar which the other students and the professor agreed was full, and proceeded to pour in a glass of beer. Of course the beer filled the remaining spaces within the jar making the jar truly full.

The moral of this tale is: that no matter how full your life is, there is always room for BEER.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

For all your answers, read:

Dan Millman: The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

There is only one reason why we are here, it is to reproduce, end of story. There is no master plan, we aren't here to make the world a better place or to learn the mysteries of the universe, we are here to pass our genes on to the next generation. Read "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, in that one book he explains the meaning of our existance better than any philosopher or theologian has through history.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

A Monty Python movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

In my country first you get the sugar,
    then you get the power.
    Then... You get the women :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The meaning of life...
    The furtherment of the species either through it's continuity or it's betterment (preferably both).

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

The meaning of life is to find out the meaning of life ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Can't fault that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

meaning of life is to get to heaven and get as many blowobs as possible.

Advertisement