Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to like about Donegal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

deman wrote: »
    And nicking golf balls and running up those "mountains" like hell so nobody would see you. :D

hahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Sheesh where to begin!

1. The accent
    2. Being able to talk "normal" and people understand what your saying. ;)
    3. The coast, and all the beaches that I won't even start to try and name.
    4. Hiking up the Bluestacks and looking over Donegal Bay.
    5. All the other great hikes around the county.
    6. Maybe drinking till late in some pubs in certain towns or townlands that won't be named here! 8D
    7. Being home and (almost) knowing all the faces in the town.
    8. Carverys with Turkey and Donegal Ham!
    9.The number nine! ;)
    10. Driving thought the Gap and stopping at Biddy's for a jar.

And many more that I can't think of at the moment. Of course there's a wile load to complain about, but that's for another thread. :)

the animals, the fields, the grass, the language, the fresh air and so much more

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scottty2Hottty

Everything!

Especially when ya come home after being away for ages!

I also love the tea at home for some reason tea definitely tastes better in Donegal!

McDaids Football special...... Ah the memories!

of course dont forget donegal creameries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

The Fact That It Exists :)

Paddy20 wrote: »
    The Fact That It Exists :)

agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Is donegalese a recognised dialect of the english language?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JosephQ

Just back after two GREAT weeks. Loved the crack, the fresh air, the people, the food, the hills, the beaches (frozen this time of year bit still beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

a portion of scampi with pink sauce in charlies of ardara.

Nothing like it, massive portion to boot.

• Advertisement

pizza out of maggiedans and the fact that it is donegal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gowayyalanger

The Cottage Bar.
    Don't need to say any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

Donegal in general, it's the friendliest county in Ireland ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

What I don't like is Letterkenny and Bundoran

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What I don't like is Letterkenny and Bundoran
    Cough, splutter >>> phlegm.

The thread is all about things you LIKE about Donegal.

Welcome to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Walked up to Glenveagh castle with the in-laws day after boxing day and back :(. Christ, its a fine place, that outdoor swimming pool on the verge of the lough, could just picture myself lying there on a good summers day:cool:.
    Beautiful place

shiibata wrote: »
    Walked up to Glenveagh castle with the in-laws day after boxing day and back :(. Christ, its a fine place, that outdoor swimming pool on the verge of the lough, could just picture myself lying there on a good summers day:cool:.
    Beautiful place
    A fine place indeed and a very under-promoted gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I'm from very near Glenveagh. The Castle, National Park, and surrounding area are beautiful and relatively unspoilt. 'God's Country' indeed. I am getting married there next summer, despite the fact the bride to be is from 'The Big Smoke'.

However, while up home at Xmas, we took a spin in to see the new Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel (we had looked at having our reception there until we saw the price), I got to thinking-would Glenveagh Castle do more for the area if it went down the route of converting to a 5* Hotel?

Look at the publicity places like Ashford Castle get for the areas they are in-would be good for that part of Donegal, no?

And I would keep the National Park-have the hotel tucked away out of sight, overlooking the lake, a la The Lough Eske.

Sacrilege for some, but I was never really that impressed with the tour of the Castle. The beauty of the gardens and surrounding area, now that's a different story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'm from very near Glenveagh. The Castle, National Park, and surrounding area are beautiful and relatively unspoilt. 'God's Country' indeed. I am getting married there next summer, despite the fact the bride to be is from 'The Big Smoke'.

However, while up home at Xmas, we took a spin in to see the new Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel (we had looked at having our reception there until we saw the price), I got to thinking-would Glenveagh Castle do more for the area if it went down the route of converting to a 5* Hotel?

Look at the publicity places like Ashford Castle get for the areas they are in-would be good for that part of Donegal, no?

And I would keep the National Park-have the hotel tucked away out of sight, overlooking the lake, a la The Lough Eske.

Sacrilege for some, but I was never really that impressed with the tour of the Castle. The beauty of the gardens and surrounding area, now that's a different story.

Not coming from Donegal, i would have thought to have an national park on your door step is an honour and even more than "a like" about your county, something to be proud of. If its a national park status,its an area of outstanding beauty isnt it , for everyone not just those who can afford it.
    Shame that you dont think they are making the most of the house and the grounds arent been promoted well. Thats the Department of Environement fault i suppose. Sure theres some good models of best practice in new Zealand or somewhere they could plagerise even re activities in the house/park. Something along the lines of promoting the place to schools and stuff must be done currently surely? Maybe they could have a working farm or something eg rather than a zoo.
    As someone from Glenveagh and very proud of your area, i am sure it is very frustrating that it is not utilised as best it might. But privitising areas of a public park wouldnt be the way to go to promoting it to the wider public, I would have thought. A shift of policy and increased funding to celebrate these areas no doubt has a key role. There are so many stately homes that have had to go into private hands cos of lack of protection by central government. (Lissadel house being one) The very least they can do is protect the designated areas. (theres only 6)
    Anyway I am sure if they legally could have they would have done it by now! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Daniel O Donnell, ftw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Rossnowlagh, Glencolmcille, Green emeralds and orange oatfields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Donegal also exported some of the finest people in the world to bring education and civilisation to Scotland, England, and the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Donegal also exported some of the finest people in the world to bring education and civilisation to Scotland, England, and the USA

Apart from me, can you give some examples? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

deman wrote: »
    Apart from me, can you give some examples? :D

Me da and me uncle:D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Hey listen! This is really getting out of hand.
    I stayed quiet so far but too many people are posting here.
    Before we know it, we will be overrun with visitors. The place will be spoiled.

The most appealing part of Donegal is that is is an unknown gem.

I lived in Dublin for years and never visited Donegal, except Bundoran, until one day I went there by accident. I never looked back.
    You can keep Killarney , the Cliffs of Moher and Lisdoonvarna too. Compared with Glenveagh, Horn Head and of course gallant Gaoth Dobhair they pale into insignificance. |It's not just he scenery but the people you meet. They have a wonderful perspective on life. Nothing is a problem, no rush, no hassle. This can be pretty disconcerting for somebody induced into time management, deadlines etc. but I now realise who has the right attitude. Life is for living.
    I envy you who live there and someday I hope to join you but until then enjoy it and keep this secret quiet. Some say it is too far, too isolated.. let them bathe in their ignorance. Enough said .... what do I like about Donegal? well it's just being there whenever I can. Signed: Converted Dub :)

danjo wrote: »
    Hey listen! This is really getting out of hand.
    I stayed quiet so far but too many people are posting here.
    Before we know it, we will be overrun with visitors. The place will be spoiled.

The most appealing part of Donegal is that is is an unknown gem.

I lived in Dublin for years and never visited Donegal, except Bundoran, until one day I went there by accident. I never looked back.
    You can keep Killarney , the Cliffs of Moher and Lisdoonvarna too. Compared with Glenveagh, Horn Head and of course gallant Gaoth Dobhair they pale into insignificance. |It's not just he scenery but the people you meet. They have a wonderful perspective on life. Nothing is a problem, no rush, no hassle. This can be pretty disconcerting for somebody induced into time management, deadlines etc. but I now realise who has the right attitude. Life is for living.
    I envy you who live there and someday I hope to join you but until then enjoy it and keep this secret quiet. Some say it is too far, too isolated.. let them bathe in their ignorance. Enough said .... what do I like about Donegal? well it's just being there whenever I can. Signed: Converted Dub :)
    And I think you would be one Dub that would be more than welcome here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Decayor

Killybegs is ****e :D
    lived here 20yrs I see the above posters point though about it being attractive to other people from cities etc, but its crap if you have lived here:p
    Theres nothing to do!!

Theres no part of donegal that interests me!

:rolleyes:my post is kinda showing a bad boring side to Donegal, but dont be put off as its just my own opinion having lived here etc..

Decayor wrote: »
    Killybegs is ****e :D
    lived here 20yrs I see the above posters point though about it being attractive to other people from cities etc, but its crap if you have lived here:p
    Theres nothing to do!!

Theres no part of donegal that interests me!

:rolleyes:my post is kinda showing a bad boring side to Donegal, but dont be put off as its just my own opinion having lived here etc..
    This thread is titled "Things to like about Donegal" and you are away off the mark with those comments. You are relatively new here so I will give you a yellow card and an infraction. Please stay on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

For a person who claimed they were lost for words, you seemed to manage just fine!

I'm growing more and more sick of Donegal to be honest. I've been here 17 years and want to be in city life now. It's probably only then that I'll truly appreciate what I have in Donegal!

it wasnt until i lfet donegal that i realised what i was missing in the city!
    Donegal is not a young persons area, its great for raising children and retiring, but once you hit late teens, the city is much preferrable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Caoltan

Seanies32 wrote: »

The wee bit of sun in April and walking down the main street in Lk - the males on the thread will know what I mean!:D

What the hell are you talking about? Its just shams.:confused:

Advertisement