Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

You thought that was a Cavan accent :confused:

Not really just a visual aid to the image in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Slow coach wrote:
    I found them very like the Wexford accent.

Yea the newfoundland accent is a mixture of irish accents, elements of cork, kerry, wexford ect.... I was asked quite a few times in Ontario was i from newfoundland and I'm from Dublin!

The people from newfoundland ( "newfees" as the Canadians call them ) are often the but of many jokes, kinda like kerry people are the but of many jokes here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

The accent is actually derivative of the old Cornwall accent which to some might soundsimilar to Irish. There was a documentary about the dying fishing industry in Newfoundland because of depleted stocks. They talked about the history and settlement of the province. A linguist from Cardiff Univ spoke of Newfoundland as a preserved time capsule because of it's isolation.

It's funny that we often think of Newfoundland first when Irish settlement in Canada is brought up because in absolute numbers it was quite small. But I guess it's because the isolation allowed a few villages to retain the language. The larger proportion of Irish that went to Canada and settled ... often did so in the Montreal area ... obviously the first big port and it was catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

What dialect of Irish is spoken there (thinking of heading there on my hols in October) is it Munster Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

What dialect of Irish is spoken there (thinking of heading there on my hols in October) is it Munster Irish?
    Not been myself but a friend was over there playing trad few years ago. He is from Cork and lives in Clare and reckoned he could yarn away with them as gaeilge no bother. Great crack he had there too by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Most unusual named town in Newfoundland? Dildo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Its old lenister Iirsh that died out here it possibly the purest form of Irish you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

what confused me is the way a lot of people from Nova Scotia pronounced it "New Found Land", all three words pronounced seperately as opposed "newfounland" as most people pronounce it.

It's hardly newly found any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mloc wrote:
    what confused me is the way a lot of people from Nova Scotia pronounced it "New Found Land", all three words pronounced seperately as opposed "newfounland" as most people pronounce it.

It's hardly newly found any more.

Dublin is hardly a Black Pool any more, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

And the salmon no longer jump up the waterfall in Leixlip*.
    The dam put paid to that.

*From the Danish Lax hLaup meaning leap of the salmon or salmon leap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Terry wrote:
    And the salmon no longer jump up the waterfall in Leixlip*.
    The dam put paid to that.

*From the Danish Lax hLaup meaning leap of the salmon or salmon leap.

On that note can someone explain Borris-in-Ossiry and Carrick-on-Fergus!

Advertisement