Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers movie thread for people who saw it (spoilers within)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Thats why cartoon characters have 3 fingers.

I thought it was 4 fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I thought it was 4 fingers?
    3 and a thumb. ;)

And can we not argue over design aesthetics AGAIN please? Many of us like the new designs. Others don't. It looks like they are here to stay for the time being. Its really not worth getting angry over.

3 and a thumb.

ahh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Rozie wrote:
    Entertaining but underwhelming. Most people seem to be very delusional - there is no classic banter between Megs and Starscream. Starscream is barely a character. He has one line and doesn't even speak in Cybertronian.

This is very true. However, in a film where they relied too much on the human/hacker/SecDef role, I thought it was good that they at least hinted at their relationship.

I'm sure it's something that will be developed more in the sequel. And, please, no-one say "Oh noes, Megs is DEAD!!111". Its f*cking Transformers. Sure, Optimus died every second episode of the series! [<< hyperbole there]
    Rozie wrote:
    I've never cringed so much in my life as I have for the first half of the movie. The puns are painful.

Michael Bay = Cheese. There was quite a bit of this, but tbh it worked in my mind, especially because of Shia LeBeouf. He really made pretty bad dialogue work.
    Rozie wrote:
    The designs are even worse moving - between them and the shaky camera work, I can't figure out what's going on. I had no idea quite how bad the shake cam would be. The Barricade/Bumblebee fight is a blurr.

I have to disagree here. I thought the designs were very good. Personally when I first saw Bumblebee in a pre-production pic, I didn't like him. But in the film, he works. And I thought the first fight was meant to be a little obscure cos you're not following the fight but rather the Sam character.
    Rozie wrote:
    Frenzy was a surprisingly entertaining character.

Agreed.
    Rozie wrote:
    I prefer the 1986 movie for all it's faults.

Disagree completely. The 1986 movie was a mess. Nothing redeems it. The animation is horrible to watch. However, I think that the Galvatron storyline may be used in the movie sequel. Which may lead to
    Unicron

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Rozie wrote:
    Thanks for paying absolutely no attention to what I just said, and regurgitating the same points that the post you quoted was in response to.

Don't bother replying if you don't have anything new to say.

However, any sad **** that stoops to using GROW UP or GET A LIFE, since 2 or 3 words strung together in place of a real argument is SO much more mature than arguing properly, doesn't deserve my attention any further. Nothing gets to me more than that.

read your own post.
    whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I thought the Transformers film was great, it was a very entertaining film.
    I might watch it again.

My sequel predictions:

2nd film: Starscream returns with new Decepticons including Jetfire and Shockwave. New Autobots include Grimlock (as a tank) and Arcee (I dont really want her in it but its looking that way now). There is a massive battle which devastates a large portion of Earth. Jetfire betrays Starscream and is killed in said battle. Optimus Prime dies and Grimlock is the new Autobot leader.

3rd film: After narrowly avoiding death at the hands of Grimlock in number2 Shockwave creates a new super warrior (Galvatron) from pieces of Megatron, Starscream and Jetfire. Galvatron proves to be unstoppable and inevitably betrays Shockwave. Shockwave is then forced to temporarily side with the Autobots. He uses his brilliant mind to resurrect Optimus Prime in a last ditch effort to defeat Galvatron.

I don't think they'll use Unicron considering the Fantastic 4 films are using Galactus. the stories would be too alike.

I pay to see those sequels...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Galvasean wrote:
    My sequel predictions:

2nd film: Starscream returns with new Decepticons including Jetfire and Shockwave. New Autobots include Grimlock (as a tank) and Arcee (I dont really want her in it but its looking that way now). There is a massive battle which devastates a large portion of Earth. Jetfire betrays Starscream and is killed in said battle. Optimus Prime dies and Grimlock is the new Autobot leader.

3rd film: After narrowly avoiding death at the hands of Grimlock in number2 Shockwave creates a new super warrior (Galvatron) from pieces of Megatron, Starscream and Jetfire. Galvatron proves to be unstoppable and inevitably betrays Shockwave. Shockwave is then forced to temporarily side with the Autobots. He uses his brilliant mind to resurrect Optimus Prime in a last ditch effort to defeat Galvatron.

I don't think they'll use Unicron considering the Fantastic 4 films are using Galactus. the stories would be too alike.

I think there's a whole thread in this idea of sequels. The 2 above though are pretty good. Grimlock a tank!? Could work well.

I'd like to see Inferno in the next one too. It'll be interesting to see what new characters they bring it...

sprinkles wrote:
    I think there's a whole thread in this idea of sequels. The 2 above though are pretty good. Grimlock a tank!? Could work well.
    He was one in the Dreamwave GI Joe crossover comic. Really good design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

No, PLEASE no Grimlock as anything other than a T-Rex. This "Realisation" is nothing more than a "Bastardisation" and we've had enough of that already. When you start stripping the little "This can't work..." things off like that, you loose all the quirks that made something what it was.

Plus, giant robot T-rexes make more sense than giant robot Scorpions. Have Grimlock as an arrogant **** from a bygone time of swords and barbarians who refuses to take a disguise and insists on his alternate mode being the most fearsome thing that ever walked the planet. He can hide in OP's trailer, giving OP an excuse to have one now.

Plus, you could have plenty of Jurassic park-pisstake scenes, and it can be directed by Spielberg. It'll be brill.

I'd love to see the aircraft carrier idea that Michael Bay had. That could be Metroplex or something. How cool would that be.

Rozie wrote:
    Have Grimlock as an arrogant **** from a bygone time of swords and barbarians who refuses to take a disguise and insists on his alternate mode being the most fearsome thing that ever walked the planet. He can hide in OP's trailer, giving OP an excuse to have one now.
    Although I think Grimlock as a T.rex is possibly stretching it a bit, that idea is too cool to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

I have to agree with Rozie on this one.
    Now that the whole indroduction of what Transformers are is out of the way, there is no reason why they can't play with the formula a bit. It wouldn't be too hard to write a feasible reason why Grimlock has a T. Rex alt mode. For example, he and Prime could have an arguement where Grimlock doesn't want to disguise himself as a "weak machine that serves puny fleshlings" or something. Prime then orders him to, saying somethinmg like "just do it, I don't care what earth mode you choose, just pick any one!!!". Just after this, Grimlock happens to be watching a Discovery Channel programme, and bingo. Its easy to write in why he is a T. Rex. My fear would be could they make it look decent on-screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I cant really see grimlock being pulled off in his original format. His alt mode was fun in a cartoon but would be pointless in a live action movie.

I think Grimlock would work if his alt mode was just a T-Rex skeleton rather then a full on one, and he chooses it either by mistake (arrives in mueseum) or because of (like Optimus) *the internet*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

If he can't be a T-Rex, don't have him. Again, there's been enough bastardisation as it is.

Though of course he can be a T-Rex. All the people who LOVED the movie and are now saying Grimlock being a T-Rex is absurd - what about Scorponok? he didn't even get an explanation.

Rozie wrote:
    what about Scorponok? he didn't even get an explanation.

He wasn't a character either. Is that what you want for Grimlock? I think not.

I'd prefer if they didn't have him. Stick again on Optimus and Bumblebee, but more importantly, add focus to the Decepticons. If that happens, I'll be happy.

Rozie wrote:
    If he can't be a T-Rex, don't have him. Again, there's been enough bastardisation as it is.

Though of course he can be a T-Rex. All the people who LOVED the movie and are now saying Grimlock being a T-Rex is absurd - what about Scorponok? he didn't even get an explanation.

I never thought id say this but i agree with your first line!

Scorponok was a drone and didnt transform.

Otacon wrote:
    He wasn't a character either. Is that what you want for Grimlock? I think not.

I'd prefer if they didn't have him. Stick again on Optimus and Bumblebee, but more importantly, add focus to the Decepticons. If that happens, I'll be happy.
    I agree. The decepticons got the short end of the stick in this film. I'd love to have seen more of Bonecrusher.

• Advertisement

Rozie wrote:

We still have scorpions today. Scorponoks job was to kill off survivors (and he failed miserably). He was able to hide under the sand until it was time to attack. i suppose that negates the need for a disguise. On paper a scorpion is a good idea for a killing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Did anyone catch what starscream said as he flew off at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm ashamed to say I only got around to seeing the film this evening.

I liked it.... it was certainly far better than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

Some of these arguements seem way too familiar from the time the first film was announced, and people finding out megatron was going to be a plane or alien jet, and having Bumblebee as a camaro instead of a Beetle. I mean look at the film and tell me what you would have went with in retrospect? I vote the new camaro anyways was way more appealing and the charecter seemed vunerable because he couldnt talk but was always in the thick of getting beat up tortured or getting his legs blown off. Overall if they made Grimlock a dinosaur id be all for it but if purists step in and start ranting that he HAS to be a dinosaur then bay will most likely change it (why do you think you got the flame painted prime) I mean grimlock could be anything in the next film if he's even in it. but after seeing the first film id trust that speilberg and bay will do what they wanted just like the first one and we will like what they produce despite early reservations

I think the new transformers film is actually REALLY good like better than I thought it was going to be 10 times over. Made me laugh and it had afew cheesy parts but it's a Michael Bay film for gods sake... if your expecting top class acting and drama that rivals Hamlet or that likes then you really are nuts.. As for people complaining about a paper thin plot... Yeah granted there was little or no plot but who cares. The comics have kind of dolled up transformers to be more adult and appeal to people obsessed with the g1 era (albeit they point out flaws in the robots to make em more belivable) where as the film was a slight return to the 80's version where it was the goodies versus the baddies... and it worked surprisingly well in this film.

Overall I thought it was a really class film like It made the robots seem emotional and the way they moved emulated that really well, the way they behaved aswell was really cool especially prime, bumblebee, ironhide, actually all the autobots seemed really cool... The decepticons were amazing in it plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    my hope for number 2

Starscream tricks new stupid autobots that they need to get the remains of the all spark off optimus, they come to earth and use dinosaur displays in the natural history museum as the base of their design hence Dinobots.

Starscream (maybe teaming up with Soundwave) uses the chaos they cause to steal the remaining piece of all spark which is then used to create the constructicons and set off to get the rest of the all spark out of megatrons remains but Sam brings the dinobots around and they with the autobots defeat starcream etc. Soundwave escapes with the remains of megatron to return in part 3 with galvatron and Unicron.

heh a man can dream :D

I could live with that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

Duffman'05 wrote:
    Did anyone catch what starscream said as he flew off at the end?

An interlude during the end credits shows Starscream leaving Earth's atmosphere, leaving questions about his role in the future sequel.

Note: the screen writers have admitted that there were more lines between Starscream and Megatron, but they were cut due to time constraints

Pity, heres hoping for an extended DVD edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Did starscream say anything when he flew off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

sprinkles wrote:

I dont think so no

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote:
    watched it four times. No, nothing English anyway.

Advertisement