Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man, when did boards get so popular and mainstream?

Options
  • 21-07-2007 7:33am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Sitting here in the airport at the internet booth in gate A, and there was a girl sitting beside me reading the Fashion & Appearance forum. I thought about sending her a PM (because messaging someone sitting a few inches away from you is SO cool) but she's gone now.

When I went to login to boards there were at least 50 previous names in the drop-down! Didn't recognise any of them though, apart from Evil Phil. Unfortunately his password wasn't saved so I couldn't do a bit of trolling of whatever board he moderates.

I remember when this was all fields. It's so kerrrrraaaaaaaayyyyzeeee!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Everybody seems to know of it these days, even if they aren't a regular or even a member. People are always spotting it on my screen at work and going "Oh, you use boards, cool".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Funny old world all right. Pepe did you read that thread a while back about there being so many people with loads of posts that you do not even notice?
    For instance you have almost 6000 posts and i have never noticed any of yours :D

I think the general agreement was that some posters stick to certain forums and do not bother with general areas like after hours etc.

I think there is a problem here, it used to be cool to be on boards, you could think you were elite or something. It was a secret underground community. Now its like Tatoos. Everyone gets them these days. Except me, i think im more unique by not having one :D Though i will not stop using boards as that would give me withdrawl symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Heh, noticed that drop down list last time I was in the airport myself.

A good sign, really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Fajitas! wrote:
    Heh, noticed that drop down list last time I was in the airport myself.

A good sign, really!

it al went downhill when you joined. Newb! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yeah everyone and their dog seems to be on it these days.

Sooooo many forums too. I remember when.. [/old man rant]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Yeah everyone and their dog seems to be on it these days.

Sooooo many forums too. I remember when.. [/old man rant]
    The most recent one created was http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=970

Forum number 970.
    It's super sekrit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

JIZZLORD wrote:
    it al went downhill when you joined. Newb! :D

Er. Yes.

don't worry, i was taking the piss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Basically when the forums became serchible with google.
    Nearly any topic put in google.ie will bring boards.ie up on the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

not sure mate, i wondered the same thing when i disappeared from boards for a couple of years.. i rarely post much these days, still read but i would say the majority of names nowadays i just havent a clue who they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Man, when did boards get so popular and mainstream?
    Some time in March 2003.
    Feedback threads complaining about yore ma... honest to God where do we get them from at all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Crucifix wrote:
    "Oh, you use boards, cool".
    lol

Thaedydal wrote:
    Basically when the forums became serchible with google.
    Nearly any topic put in google.ie will bring boards.ie up on the first page.

[off topic] For some reason, i always read your name as "Lady Death", but backwards. Now i just feel cheated[/off topic]

I was in Brussels airport recently and some guy beside me with a laptop had Boards as his homepage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's a bit mainstream all roight. I even have fans. Hi guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...you have fans?

...why?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Because people are idiots.

I have some too.
    Which proves my point completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I was in Brussels airport recently and some guy beside me with a laptop had Boards as his homepage.

In Brussels airport recently??? Do you own a laptop?? Are you a boards.ie member?

Then YOU, yes, YOU have been selected for unwanted attention from over 75,000 thousand people!!! Each person that has posted on this thread has pledged, five, yes, F-I-V-E euros every time they post on this thread as a prize, which will be a pretty penny if this thread becomes super-popular!!! So 200 posters will amount to 1000 euros!!! Quoting another in this thread is a pledge of ten euros!!!

Now, every game of chance has it's downside...so naturally, this is no exception. Whenever you decide to identify yourself, you claim the prize, BUT!!! and this is a big but...you have to claim it before one of the mods of Afterhours closes this thread, or the thread is moved.

So, do you stay quiet, hoping that new posters will keep posting on this thread (and the thread doesn't get locked) with the money roolling in constantly, or do you just come straight out for a certain amount of posters/money has accumulated on this thread?

The decision is YOURS... Mr Brussels. It will depend how well you know boards.ie, how well you know the Afterhours Mods and their boredom threshold, whether or not they think this thread is viable and meets the criteria of Afterhours*, whether the boards.ie community take this thread seriously and actually posts on it...**

*If this thread is moved to another forum, is locked, or is brought up in Feedback at a later date, then you loose, Mr Brussels.:)

**Jeremiah 16:1, as organiser of boards.ie-athon '07, does not (after discussing this with the Afterhours mods) have to pay the 5 euros.:) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

In Brussels airport recently??? Do you own a laptop?? Are you a boards.ie member?

Then YOU, yes, YOU have been selected for unwanted attention from over 75,000 thousand people!!! Each person that has posted on this thread has pledged, five, yes, F-I-V-E euros every time they||becomes super-popular!!! So 200 posters will amount to 1000 euros!!! Quoting another in this thread is a pledge of ten euros!!!

Now, every game of chance has it's downside...so naturally, this is no exception. Whenever you decide to identify yourself, you claim the prize, BUT!!! and this is a big but...you have to claim it before one of the mods of Afterhours closes this thread, or the thread is moved.

So, do you stay quiet, hoping that new posters will keep posting on this thread (and the thread doesn't get locked) with the money roolling in constantly, or do you just come straight out for a certain amount of posters/money has accumulated on this thread?

The decision is YOURS... Mr Brussels. It will depend how well you know boards.ie, how well you know the Afterhours Mods and their boredom threshold, whether or not they think this thread is viable and meets the criteria of Afterhours*, whether the boards.ie community take this thread seriously and actually posts on it...**

*If this thread is moved to another forum, is locked, or is brought up in Feedback at a later date, then you loose, Mr Brussels.:)

**Jeremiah 16:1, as organiser of boards.ie-athon '07, does not (after discussing this with the Afterhours mods) have to pay the 5 euros.:) :)
    uh huh, what?:confused:

• Advertisement

@DEmeantOr + €5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

[off topic] For some reason, i always read your name as "Lady Death", but backwards. Now i just feel cheated[/off topic]

Why ?

That is how the nick was created and then the H and the T reversed as
    Htaedydal can't be pronounced.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Then YOU, yes, YOU have been selected for unwanted attention from over 75,000 thousand people!!! Each person that has posted on this thread has pledged, five, yes, F-I-V-E euros every time they post on this thread as a prize, which will be a pretty penny if this thread becomes super-popular!!! So 200 posters will amount to 1000 euros!!! Quoting another in this thread is a pledge of ten euros!!!

tl;dr

Yeah, I know nobody around these days, apart from in the sanctity of the mod forum. I'm just an adverts.ie mod-robot now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

It's a bit mainstream all roight. I even have fans. Hi guys.

We love you Tar!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

CuLT wrote:
    tl;dr

Yeah, I know nobody around these days, apart from in the sanctity of the mod forum. I'm just an adverts.ie mod-robot now.

Who are you again? Yea boards, its a force of nature.

I have noticed the fans thing as well. Sometimes I'd be down the pub and a mate will introduce me to some randomer as boston, who'll then go on to tell me how they love me stuff. I don't know why, I mean, the great thing about being me on board is that I don't have to read my poorly typed demented ravings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

When yore ma started telling people about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I was sitting besidesomeone in the DCU computer labs once and noticed they were on Boards so I said "Hey, I see you're on Boards too, I'm Piste!" and then he looked at me funnily and said "Yes I've read you're blog..." and laughed a bit, then I went bright red :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I remember when this was all After Hours, Quake and Tribes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ClareBear wrote:
    We love you Tar!!! :D

Don't encourage him!

• Advertisement

we'll have to break out the tranquilizers.

Advertisement