Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlondePoker I.S.O.P 2008 -Feedback Required

Options
  • 14-07-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

Ok as u know we have signed an affiliate deal with Blondepoker , And have plans for 2008 , This is our main Event for 2008 ..The 1st Irish Series Of Poker - A week long Event with a €1000 buy in and 90 Min Clock with a starting stack the same as this years W.S.O.P 20,000 (Even thats loads for Bops to last day 1)

We do not think we will be running this in Dublin and Waterford Mite not be Big Enough unless we put up a Marquee also , This event will be a 500+ player event running in Day 1 Day 2 Starting Style ...

The week Long event will have other Ranking events included for players who do not make the Main Event or get Knocked out including a €500 €300 €200 and €150 event .....

Our main Concern is keepin players happy and making sure players Will travel to the event sio we are asking players where they would like to see this event held in August .. This will be a Televised Event and will hopefully grow from year to year and as the Irish Open did will bring Poker to another level in Ireland .... The First I.S.O.P will be €1000 to make sure it is affordable with sats running from Jan 2008 up until August

Please State the county or region that would suit the Players ..

Neill K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭HeeHawsCantona

Neil,

I think that this would be a great idea but in my opinion it should be held in the Dublin region to attract the british and European players and also for infrastructural reasons if you wish to accommodate that number of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ok as u know we have signed an affiliate deal with Blondepoker , And have plans for 2008 , This is our main Event for 2008 ..The 1st Irish Series Of Poker - A week long Event with a €1000 buy in and 90 Min Clock with a starting stack the same as this years W.S.O.P 20,000 (Even thats loads for Bops to last day 1)

We do not think we will be running this in Dublin and Waterford Mite not be Big Enough unless we put up a Marquee also , This event will be a 500+ player event running in Day 1 Day 2 Starting Style ...

The week Long event will have other Ranking events included for players who do not make the Main Event or get Knocked out including a €500 €300 €200 and €150 event .....

Our main Concern is keepin players happy and making sure players Will travel to the event sio we are asking players where they would like to see this event held in August .. This will be a Televised Event and will hopefully grow from year to year and as the Irish Open did will bring Poker to another level in Ireland .... The First I.S.O.P will be €1000 to make sure it is affordable with sats running from Jan 2008 up until August

Please State the county or region that would suit the Players ..

Neill K

Dublin has an International airport. That said, there is always a hardcore of foreign players that go to the Macau festivals in Cork and a few turned up in Drogheda for the GJP, so if you build it (and promote it properly) they will come.

But a large part of the base for this event would be based in the greater Dublin area. And Dublin is equidistant for Northern players orthose who would need to travel up from the south.

At the end of the day I would travel wherever to play that structure - as I'm sure a lot of serious players that frequent this site would.

The end of August is ideal for this Neill - in that it needs to be about three or four weeks after the WSOP. Any Irish players over in Vegas would be a definate core market for this type of event. And casual club players may stretch themselves to play that structure after following the ME in Vegas. Also, precious little else seems to be on in terms of tourneys at that time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Looks great, Dublin i thought would be the most ideal place, since a week long event, being held anywhere else could be awkward for ppl to get to, never been up to drogeda or down to waterford, but don't think any of those events are a week long, are they? Also more infrastructure, accomadation, etc in dublin.

If its the end of August, make sure its not he week of the galway races, could lose a few ppl. the buy in looks great as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

sparks43 wrote:
    Best of luck with the tournament its a shame you dont think it will be dublin but ill probably travel for it any way.If your looking at making it similar to the wsop what are the chances of a 500 euro H.O.R.S.E during the festival and an omaha game too.

maybe one of the hotels in galway could be big enough

again good luck and take care

Def An Omaha Event - H.O.R.S.E i dont know but ill keep u informed

Ace2007 wrote:
    Looks great, Dublin i thought would be the most ideal place, since a week long event, being held anywhere else could be awkward for ppl to get to, never been up to drogeda or down to waterford, but don't think any of those events are a week long, are they? Also more infrastructure, accomadation, etc in dublin.

If its the end of August, make sure its not he week of the galway races, could lose a few ppl. the buy in looks great as well..

Dates Not Confirmed yet so we will make sure nothing clashes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JP Poker

Looks great neil, i wish you all the best.

I've a couple of festivals in the pipeline for next year myself will avoid August as best as possible. As soon as you have dates can you let me know so we don't clash.

Jp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

I would like to see this event outside of dublin as all these big tournaments seem to be based there,if not waterford perhaps cork from a airport accomadation point of view.omaha event a must,sounds like a great idea best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Hi Neil,
    Think its a great idea. I understand the players thinking its better suited to Dublin but I'll put up a case for Killarney

1.--The tournament could be held in the Glen Eagle Hotel which could easily hold all participants and travelling partners as regards accommadation under the one roof.

2.-- The Irish National Events Center(INEC) is attached to the Glen Eagle hotel and could hold any number of players comfortably.(its a 2,500 seater).

3.-- We have an airport 10 minutes outside town that has 5 return flights to dublin each day and had daily direct routes to London and Manchester.

4.--For those that dont like to fly, mainline rail is available.

5.--Glen Eagle are experts at accommading large festivals and I know the poker community would have a ball there.

I do NOT have any vested interest in the Glen Eagle Hotel. I book it twice a year for national snooker tournaments that have been ongoing now for 25years and I just couldnt give it a high enough recommendation.

Best of luck with the venture

Connie

connie147 wrote:

I do NOT have any vested interest in the Glen Eagle Hotel. I book it twice a year for national snooker tournaments that have been ongoing now for 25years and I just couldnt give it a high enough recommendation.

Best of luck with the venture

Connie

Just Saw The Keery News - Connie Bought the Glen Eagle ...Lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 oooops

ahem a week long event outside of Dublin, :eek: sure City West is outside Dublin.:)

Just curious as to why it is outside Dublin? I'm sure you will get the die hards traveling anywhere to play this BUT if there are similar tournys throughout the year with 1k buys in, you might find Dub players saving their money for these events...(no travel accom expenses). depends how big you want this..

btw. If i went to the Glen Eagles in Killareney I'd find some better things to do with a grand there, nice place indeed..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Dublin++ , it's a lot easier to accommodate 500 people for 1 week. Everyone knows someone in Dublin, people coming from other countries have loads of hotels, b&bs, etc. It's easier to commute from county X to Dublin, than it is from county X to county Y, (if you get me) for the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

i always liked Citywest as a venue, if you're trying to attract a decent amount of overseas players then i agree Dublin is the only option

The Problems are that Dublin as Hotels Go are triple what u would pay around the Country and food Can really hurt ur costs , I have a Meeting next week to try and tie this up so it will Hopefully decided next week , Ps We will only supplying Food for the Main Eevnt ... Ill actually post the diff in prices as i get them for each hotel .... One Venue that we are looking at is Whites Hotel Wexford Superb Hotel .... But Travel is the Problem ....

Airports have to be close for European players ... We have excellent plans For 2008 which hopefully will put us On the Map ... The irish Open proved What can be done with an effort this Year , Only prob i had was that it was all about the Main Event , I think every event is equal and should be treated the same ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭spoofingjam

Neill i think this i a great idea and u know me and the gang will travel wheeever u decide to hold this festival.....but i hae to agree with some of the comments....city west is ur best option IMO i think you'd have a much wider player base to take advantage of and letd be honest if ur playing a1k F/O you dont really mind paying an extra little bit for accomadation....well good luck with it mate hope to hear the final decision soon

Do u think we can run without Food or just budget to the player in the Main Event , The Room in the city west will be huge money to rent ...

We will be on A tight Budget for an event a week long , Thats teh Problem ...

I agree i actually loved the City Wessshhhhht

With a week long festival, people are going to prepare for it(obviously on a lesses scale but similar to people preparing for the world series). If its on in Dublin, Wexford or Galway, I'd be hoping to organise a weeks holidays and go stay there for the week.

Similarly, if Killarney(Glen Eagle) was picked as the venue, I;d expect players in other parts of the country to do much the same.

Its a good idea Neil,and I honestly think no matter where you decide to hold it, it'll be a success.Irish people making their way to it is not going to be a problem. Having it in August though means accommadation room rates in Irish hotels will be at a peak rate.August is THE month for the hoteliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Really great idea neill.

Citywest does seem a good idea from the point of location and i think you would pull more players for the side events too daily.
    If based outside dublin you wont get the numbers daily as if in dublin people can take half-day and play side events wheres if outside dublin then its travel-play and back home thus taking 2 days off work for the dublin based players which I would assume there is more of then the rest of us...!!!

If not dublin then killarney would be ideal as I traveled to the snooker there for a few years and really is set up for the bigger numbers but I would be worried about the side events getting the numbers as I can't see you getting a lot of players willing to travel for the week...!!!.

The whole idea sounds great and look forward to playing it.
    For me Citywest would get the vote.
    The cost of the main room for the event seems to be the biggest problem?
    Surely with the offer of 500+ players seeking accommodation/food/drink etc. you could pull a deal...!!!

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Wexford's a lovely spot, the idea of playing in Killarney sounds great too.

it would be nice to find a place with a bit of character, so anywhere around Dublin airport I wouldn't recommend.

also check the local Garda stations just to make sure that they are not bigotted against poker players. seriously, look what happened in Dundalk recently.

I'd play a 100 euro HORSE game in a flash but not a 500, even a 100 rebuy. But 500 seems a little steep.

Citywest has worked out ok but its a bit soulless and they make players feel like they're doing them a huge favour, not even a discount on a cup of tea!

this could be a real money earner for a far sighted hotel at a quiet time of year. we should put a bid in for the Glen Eagles Connie, I've got about 8 euro on me, you?

the Burlington worked out pretty well for the Irish Open but I'd say they're probably the priciest!

I just had a mad idea. theres two hotels in Glendalough which are empty half the year, in fact they close down for a couple of months in the winter. you could probably do a great deal on rooms, get in a couple of traditional music bands, Red Hurley and Dickie Rock! it'd be great!
    fantastic spot for tv shots too! the Saints will be cursing us with bad beats!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Jools Poker

hey neill,

sounds great and the best of luck with it.....as regards location i understand where you're coming from with the rates you're getting in Dublin...that said though i do think that holding the festival in the Dublin area will ultimately make the event a bigger success numbers-wise (and I'm looking at travelling from Donegal). I've always found CityWest to be the best venue for a big field event in Dublin as a lot of players tend to stay there (even those already in Dublin) and almost everyone who travels from further afield usually chooses to stay at the hotel and this adds no end to the atmosphere. When an event is in the city centre players tend to stay at their usual hotels or with friends and this means the field is scattered all over the city and you don't get that same atmosphere with bad beats storied reverberating round the breakfast room and the residents bar!:)
    whereever you decide to go with in the end I'm sure it will be well supported - good luck and let us know what you go for in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

CityWest is probably the worst venue Ive ever played in, no tea available in the venue, the bar shuts at 4, nearly a riot the last time I was there as play finished at 4 15, they eventually gave us 1 drink each. I think most players dublin and euro based would be willing to travel a bit further for a structure like that.

• Advertisement

I agree. Played there the last few years and to get even a sandwich at the bar was an impossibility. They definately treated us poker players like 2nd class citizens. If your holding the tourney in Dublin, anywhere but the City West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

if your having two starting days then stick with the woodlands.

also a four day event should be run from friday to monday on a bank holiday weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

what about my idea for Glendalough? if we get snowed in I could hire a serial killer to stalk the players, kill off a few students and satellite entries.

eventually it'll just be me, Dickie Rock and Connie left to fight the crazed monk.

final showdown - Dickie Rock, mortally wounded, throws me his mike and i use it on the killer who turns out to be..... Connie! enraged not to hold the games in Tralee he swore to hunt them all down and murder'em with 2 live cards bad beats!

man, i'm good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭PiperT

RDS Dublin or somewhere like Kilkenny which is still very accessible and a nice town with plenty to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

connie147 wrote:
    I agree. Played there the last few years and to get even a sandwich at the bar was an impossibility. They definately treated us poker players like 2nd class citizens. If your holding the tourney in Dublin, anywhere but the City West.

horribly overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dublin ftw, but somewhere dacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Neill,

Check out the International Conference Centre in Limerick.

It can handle the numbers you're talking about, loads of parking, classy new building, very reasonable venue hire and all different types of accomodation very close by.......Limerick is fairly central for the whole of the South of Ireland and as said before if players are travelling from Donegal/Belfast they will be able to make plans and prob catch a cheap flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭C4Queen

Great idea!
    Am in.

Give me a road decription when you know :p

Anna panna

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds like a great idea and best of luck. I have no problem with it being in galway. :)

• Advertisement

carfax wrote:
    Neill,

Check out the International Conference Centre in Limerick.

It can handle the numbers you're talking about, loads of parking, classy new building, very reasonable venue hire and all different types of accomodation very close by.......Limerick is fairly central for the whole of the South of Ireland and as said before if players are travelling from Donegal/Belfast they will be able to make plans and prob catch a cheap flight.

Will do Steven Ty ...

Advertisement