Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasn't expecting that!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mooovy mooovy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Goosepimple inducing.

Seen before but I watched again. He was lacking in confidence big time.

He goes on to win the competition and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I thought at first it was a recording and they were taking the piss out of Simon.
    He should be doing that for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

biko wrote:
    I thought at first it was a recording and they were taking the piss out of Simon.

Thats what I thought! Unbelievable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Holy freakin crap. I thought the fit bird was gonna start crying!

• Advertisement

she actually did!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

His album is out next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Fuppin hell.............that's pretty damn impressive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

from what show was that from???.........has it been broadcast on TV already??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

philstar wrote:
    from what show was that from???.........has it been broadcast on TV already??

Shrek!.

S2_CG_CHAR_Shrek_01_cmyk_1_image.jpg

The audition's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

That was amazing. I had to watch it twice. Like a couple of other posters I thought it was a put up job as well. Good on him. Fantastic voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I also watched it twice. This guy is really talented! And yet he worked for Carphone Warehouse... Crazy! Fair play to him for winning anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

If you look at simon cowell's reaction at the very beginning, you can see the pen drop as his mouth opens in shock

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

He's good but it worries me that some people think he's better than this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Wait a second now... He's good, yes. But he's not as good as Pavarotti! People don't actually think that do they? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

While he is a good singer, I don't understand what is so special. I think much of the hype is caused by him singing a very dramatical and emotional piece. He is not better than other singers who sang in La Boheme.

Wait a second now... He's good, yes. But he's not as good as Pavarotti! People don't actually think that do they? :confused:

Well, while I thought the peice was quite amazing and he sung his heart out, I've no doubt now he has changed his life some what forever, but to compare him to Pavarotti is taking it a bit far, maybe he will be as good one day, but not now.
    If you listen to Pavarotti, his voice is like silk and the notes just flow without any pressure, a true master!

No, people are not saying he's better than the fat man.

People are excited because this lad would works for the Carphone Warehouse comes from obscurity to come out with this little gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭CarPark

The woman in the middle is so patronising. "turn a lump of coal into a lump of gold".
    Just because he lacks confidence and works in a phone shop, it does not make him a lump of coal. He is in direct contrast to her, as she has loads of confidence, but no talent to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

CarPark wrote:
    The woman in the middle is so patronising. "turn a lump of coal into a lump of gold".
    Just because he lacks confidence and works in a phone shop, it does not make him a lump of coal. He is in direct contrast to her, as she has loads of confidence, but no talent to back it up.

Listen again she said diamond and it is a very common phrase the whole unpolished diamond thing. Only sticking up for her as I wouldnt mind polishing her

• Advertisement

Jon wrote:
    If you listen to Pavarotti, his voice is like silk and the notes just flow without any pressure, a true master!

That's the thing you see, Potts really puts everything into it and he pretty much (at this stage in his career and training) has to in order to strain to hit the notes and maintain them. He uses loads of vibratto which can sound nice, but it's a poor substitute for have a voice trained enough to strongly hold the notes (not just hit them).

I think the problem is that the guy actually has enough talent to be looked at more as a potential opera singer than as just another reality show winner. When he's lined up beside guys who've as much or more natural talent than him and an awful lot more training he looks decidely mediocre.

muletide wrote:
    Listen again she said diamond and it is a very common phrase the whole unpolished diamond thing. Only sticking up for her as I wouldnt mind polishing her

Yeh this is actually a compliment she was paying to him. Remember the end of Superman II? no? ok forget it :o
    That's the thing you see, Potts really puts everything into it and he pretty much (at this stage in his career and training) has to in order to strain to hit the notes and maintain them. He uses loads of vibratto which can sound nice, but it's a poor substitute for have a voice trained enough to strongly hold the notes (not just hit them).

I think the problem is that the guy actually has enough talent to be looked at more as a potential opera singer than as just another reality show winner. When he's lined up beside guys who've as much or more natural talent than him and an awful lot more training he looks decidely mediocre

agreed, I think what stole it for Paul was that everyone was expecting him to make an arse of himself and then he came out with that. He has had no training and on one of the interviews he did with TVAM or whatever its called, his mrs said he used to sing in the bath and that was it. I think with the right training he could come close to the big boys but probably never match them, how can you beat Italian charisma? :D
    Also the fact that them talent shows in the past were churning out young egotistical hip hoppers with attitude, Paul Potts was indeed a breath of fresh air for these type of talent shows.

Jon wrote:
    He has had no training

He has had training afaik. He spent prize money from some other talent thing he won to go to Italy and get some training. Though probably not a whole lot of it I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

I kept waiting for Simon to pick his nose with his pen or to wipe away that glob of dribble from the corner of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

That was brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

CarPark wrote:

I liked it at the end when she said "That made my nipples erect"..........

Oh, not wait. I listened again, she said "That gave me goose pimples", DAMMIT. She's fit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Mairt wrote:
    I liked it at the end when she said "That made my nipples erect"..........

Oh, not wait. I listened again, she said "That gave me goose pimples", DAMMIT. She's fit too.[/QUOTE
    i nearly peed myself when i read this mairt you are a class act

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I dont think anyone is saying he tops Pavarotti but he does have a voice that very few other people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

again, fooking amazing! WOW!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ohhh, that was class.

Advertisement