Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of mouse do you use?

Options
  • 12-07-2007 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a mouse?

Do you prefer cordless mice, instead of corded mice?

Do cordless mice plug into a pc port and charge up from there, or are they plugged straight into the mains?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Logitech MX1000. Brilliant mouse, still not quite big enough for my hands though. The original MS Intellimouse was brilliant, though not as big as I remember it being when I tried it again recently. Having used wired for years, wireless is deffo the way to go. I'll never use a wired mouse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

microsoft intellimouse 1.1 SE

don't do mice that don't allow left handed use.
    don't do mice that have like 20 million buttons on it.
    don't do mice that are cordless.
    don't do mice that feel like they are a sack of potatoes to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Cremo wrote:
    don't do mice that are cordless.
    Why's that?

Can cordless mice be charged by plugging their base station into a pc port? Or does the base station have to be plugged directly into the mains?

zoe wrote:
    Why's that?

Can cordless mice be charged by plugging their base station into a pc port? Or does the base station have to be plugged directly into the mains?
    i just don't like them, they are more expensive, still feel laggy to me, you have to charge them yadda yadda i could go on.

the only benefit they have is no cord but loop the cord and get some selotape and hey presto you have a cordless feeling corded mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Microsoft Habu mouse. Love it to bits. Especially for gaming.

ned78 wrote:
    Microsoft Habu mouse. Love it to bits. Especially for gaming.
    Is that this one?
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/440586/art/microsoft/habu-laser-gaming-mouse.html?srcid=867

As it's a "laser" mouse, does that mean it doesn't have the rolling ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

zoe wrote:
    Is that this one?

Yes.
    zoe wrote:
    IAs it's a "laser" mouse, does that mean it doesn't have the rolling ball?

That's right, it's very fast at tracking, and you can both speed up and slow down the tracking on the mouse itself without software. It also glows blue at night, which looks very cool next to my Logitech G15 blue backlight keyboard, and my Logitech Z5400 blue backlight 5.1 amp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

logitech mx518 >*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

logitech mx518 >*
    Yup, me too! LOVE that mouse! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yeah, mx518 after my fatal1ty mouse. then a razer diamondback. Cant stand them habu mice. they feel cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Logitech G5, great mouse... a little pricey but seeing as you upgrade your mouse maybe every 4 years or more, its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I used to have a Logitech MX1000, then I got myself a Logitech MX Revolution which was a lovely mouse, then I sold my PC and use the touchpad on my laptop which is taking alot of getting used to.

OP the MX Revolution* is still Logitech's premo mouse, it's very very nice. Have a look at it here:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/130&cl=us,en

* Designed in Cork no less!

eo980 wrote:

OP the MX Revolution* is still Logitech's premo mouse, it's very very nice. Have a look at it here:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/130&cl=us,en
    That mouse looks nice...is it corded or cordless?

under the specification tab it says it's cordless, although you could almost tell because of the price of the monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

MX1000 for home desktop.
    MX518 for laptop.

Love them both, but I really like the size, weight and cordless nature of the MX1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I use the Logitech M-UV55a optical mouse for the desktop.
    Good mouse, and the latency is fine for FPS games.
    As said before, wireless mice suck for gaming and have high latency+ batteries etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'll have to get a track ball.

I'll have to get a track ball.
    What's a track ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭SeanW

For maximum durability, you need a Laser mouse. All the opticals I've ever bought fell to crap in a couple of weeks. Tops. Some people have had better luck with them, but really I think messing with opticals is like a lottery game.

Traditional roller-ball mice are obsolete - you may be able to find some around from time to time, but todays (non trackball) mice mainly have no moving parts.

I'd recommend the Logitech G5.

I have the older version of this, doesn't look as nice, has one less button, but in all the ways that matter it's the same.

my G5 has been, by a mile, the most sturdy mouse I have ever used, in the last few years I've been punishing my mice with a variety of mousepad surfaces, dirt, acidic skin sweat and heavy usage for several hours a day including intense gaming sessions.

Only the G5 has held out so well for so long (well over a year and half now) and shows no signs of any deterioration, giving perfectly accurate movement, consistently despite almost no maintenace.

Best €65 I ever spent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Naikon wrote:
    As said before, wireless mice suck for gaming and have high latency+ batteries etc.

Bull. Been using wireless mice for a few years now and have never had any issues. UT, CS and BF series among others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Bull. Been using wireless mice for a few years now and have never had any issues. UT, CS and BF series among others.

I have to agree , Ive built lots of systems for gamers , all using cordless mice ,( these days you would have to be some salesman to push a wired mouse on someone ) not one of them has ever complained about the "latency" in the mouse , a myth if ever I heard one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Ok, I havent used a wireless mouse in quite some time so I may be a little "out of touch" with current mice, especially the laser models.
    I might try out some of the newer models.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I've a wireless laser mouse. Batteries are always going because the laser lights are always on, so it's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I Havent read any post in teh thread so forgive me if I am not putting down what is requested , I use a logitech G7 mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A Logitech Mouseman Wheel.

m_cw47.jpg

I've been using the thing for about nine years. Gaming with it from HL through to BF2. Still hasn't let me down! :D

mathias wrote:
    I have to agree , Ive built lots of systems for gamers , all using cordless mice ,( these days you would have to be some salesman to push a wired mouse on someone ) not one of them has ever complained about the "latency" in the mouse , a myth if ever I heard one.
    show me a pro fps gamer that uses a wireless mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Cremo wrote:
    show me a pro fps gamer that uses a wireless mouse.
    No such thing...

Wireless is fine for average gamers however, for very serious gamers (and pros) losing 1ms anywhere (like LCD latency for example) is unacceptable. That's why they stick to wire mice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I use an MX500, about four years old. Great mouse. I never use wireless since I lost one - there's often children about and having the mouse "tethered" is vital!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I use an MS Explorer 3.0. Its about 6 years old now and still going strong :)
    Fits my hand perfectly, just feels right to me.

Advertisement