Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation: How do you apply yours?

Options
  • 09-07-2007 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

So I was wondering how everyone applies their foundation, I used to use a sponge but I found it soaked up quite a lot of the foundation which was a waste, then i started using a foundation brush, but that made it go a bit streaky. Now I use my fingers though I've heard that's not great for your skin because of oil and grease on them, so how does eneryone else here put on their foundation?

How do you put on your foundation? 74 votes

With a brush
    0% 0 votes
    With a Sponge
    22% 17 votes
    With my fingers
    12% 9 votes
    Other!
    64% 48 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

Fingers all the way. Its the only way I can actually get it right...

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Fingers of course. Think about how often during the day you wash your fingers. And how often you get to clean your sponge or brush. It's yucky spreading foundation on every day with equipment that just attracts batteria and then spreads it right into your face.

No no! Wash your hands before you apply it. Then you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

As long as you wash your hands beforehand I doubt there's much dirt or oil transferred by your fingers. Sponges are definitly a waste of time when it comes to application imo, but could be useful for a final blending of the edges so you don't end up with noticable lines where your make up ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

fingers all the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i put it on the side of my left hand and apply it with my fingers on my right hand.It turns out so much better than a sponge.I tried it but it was too annoying and soaked up loads of the foundation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

I saw a programme once that analysed how many germs end up in a make up sponge. That put me off using one for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Fingers. I have read from some make-up artists that fingers are actually good because they warm up the product and make it easier to apply.

I have the new YSL foundation though, which comes with its own brush, and that's quite easy to apply. Nice finish, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I use a combination of a sponge and fingers, but I know my sponges arnt cleaned often enough..I usually just buy new ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

i must try using my fingers tomorrow...

also, who uses powder?.. and how do you apply that, sponge/pad thingy or brush?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I usually use my fingers although sometimes i'll use a sponge to touch up around the hair-line and stuff!!

i use a loose powder as well and put it on using a a pad!! It's become so much of a haabit now that i would never put on foundation without putting on the powder afterwards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Used to use a sponge but found that they got a bit smelly after a few uses. Always use fingers now, but would always moisturise well first as the foundation goes on better then.
    I usually would apply a little powder with a brush afterwards just to tone down any shiny bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Fingers! Nice to see I'm not in the minority here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Brush all the way, best for even perfect natural application all the way. Will apply it evenly and if it seems to leave lines or streaks just go over it again or press it with a sponge or your fingers if you're really stuck. The only problem with the brush is that it's a bitch to clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Fingers. Only started putting powder on recently over my foundation and it makes my skin much more flawless and takes away the shine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

On myself I use my fingers... on anyone else I use my brushes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I'm with the majority, fingers!! Find it goes on much more evenly that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

brushes never with my fingers..ewww

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I use powder, i love my Rimmer pressed powder! It's eally great for taking the shine off your face that foundation leaves. I use a nice fluffy brush for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Always fingers. I used to use a brush but I find fingers give much more control over what I'm doing. And a big fluffy brush to put powder on over it to stop it being shiny. I do sometimes use a damp sponge to go over the edges so I'm not streaky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

I use my fingers, i used to use a sponge but found my skin would break out in spots no matter how often i cleaned the sponge. I get a nice finish with my fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i used to use a sponge but i lost it about 3 weeks ago and i started using my fingers, use my fingers since and its way better! I will continue to use my finers, i have my sister converted to using her fingers too..
    i wouldnt walk out the door without putting the powder on then afterwards..to get rid of the shine...i apply that with a brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

A brush, gives the most professional finish in my opinion & I wash it each day so it's as hygienic as I can make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Brush.
    The thought of using my fingers is horrible now that I've been using the brush for a few years.
    It gets a much better finish, it just takes a while to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

With a trowel! ;)
    Fingers if it's liquid, sponge if it's a compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Brush. i think it gives great coverage when applied with a Brush. I use Sponges though just as much. only thing about a Sponge is i always imagine that you're spreading Bacteria. i wash the Brush after every use but for some reason i dont with the Sponge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

fingers!!! I've tried sponges a few times but never felt like it applied the foundation properly or it never looked the way i wanted it to after.

Never tried a brush but i might give it a go.....and loose powder is a must after applying foundation, takes shine away and evens everything up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 lissy

Brush. The mac one is great and if you apply in a circular motion as opposed to "painting" it on, it shouldn't leave streaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Fingers all the way. Never used a sponge, and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭angelicsaz

blod of e45 cream blob of foundation..... mix and smear basically :D

Advertisement