Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yes! Revenge finally on junk mail senders!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Fad wrote:
    DONT include you name/address theyll either send it back, or take you off the list, if they take you off the list you wont be able to send more stuff.
    I'd be more worried about them sending more stuff and passing on my address to their fellow spammers to get their own back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

stuff gets sent out with your address as a free post :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I'd be more worried about them sending more stuff and passing on my address to their fellow spammers to get their own back.

But if you don't send your name/address they won't know who sent it.
    So unless they send more stuff to everyone.......

johnp wrote:
    But if you don't send your name/address they won't know who sent it.
    So unless they send more stuff to everyone.......
    Which is why I'd worry about including my name and address. Still, if anyone tries this and gets less junk, let us know.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    somebody please think of the postman! :D
    Great, it'll keep him in a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Which is why I'd worry about including my name and address. Still, if anyone tries this and gets less junk, let us know.

Sorry, read your previous mail wrong.
    Totally agree, don't include you name/address.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ROFL

20Kg, who needs wheelie bins ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

if only we could get back at spam senders, i'm sick and tired of their crap, my penis is big enough dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

scojones wrote:
    Moved from After Hours.

/is baffled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

haha this is the best idea ive heard in a long time... OP you should never opt out of things, its their way of confirming your address which they sell to other spam companies...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

wtf is this doing on the security board?

Great take on and old idea though OP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

:D:D:D:D:D
    Now I know what to do when i get yet another letter from a particular credit card company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

How the bloody hell did this get moved to tech - security????

After hours is about general conversation topics - what has revenge got to do with tech? Not happy... can a mod check this??!!

This topic isnt about email - it about getting revenge on AN POST Junk mail senders...

Scojones - Shouldn't mods read posts before moving them and not rely on topic headings???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Great idea OP. I've been returning freepost envelopes for years but never thought of adding weight. Thank you.
    Regarding spam, one of my email addresses recieves quite a lot of spam and I have recently started to pick one reply address each day and forwarding all of my spam to that address. Maybe if everyone started to do this we could kill the spammers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

2 stroke wrote:
    Regarding spam, one of my email addresses recieves quite a lot of spam and I have recently started to pick one reply address each day and forwarding all of my spam to that address. Maybe if everyone started to do this we could kill the spammers.
    spammers don't user their own addresses so at best it's a complete waste of time and bandwidth, worse you might be spamming an innocent whose address/pc was hijacked

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If only there was an online equivalent.
    A group on Israel decided to respond to all their junk mail - crashed something like 19 servers in Taiwan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Don't post anything that is a powder to a US company, because of the anthrax scares they have had. They may go bananas and send a complaint to the Gardai. If in the USA, you will more than likely get a visit from those men in black with shades (and Gitmo is very hot this time of year!).

It more to do with the normal post junk mail that we get in our doors rather then email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im gonna have to start doing this myself. Well done OP. A pint on me if your ever at a boards beers !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Thankfully I don't get much in the way of junk mail so I don't get the same frustration, still well done to you.
    Now if there was a similar way to deal with the electronic junk mail...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

johnp wrote:
    Sorry, read your previous mail wrong.
    Totally agree, don't include you name/address.

Include the name and address of someone you hate.

Two birds, one stone, etc. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

put stuff in that might ''weird out'' the opener, like ''penis'' in tiny letters on an A3 sheet, a dustpan, and a coffee stained coaster:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zebra3 wrote:

Whats your name and address?

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I sent a 'Ryanair credit card application' to a friend in the USA. I tippexed out the return freepost address (somewhere in dublin) and wrote in the USA address. (and a nice note)

They got it too, probably the only person to get anything out of Ryanair. :p

Also, too see if it would work, I've posted a letter for free to a friend.

I put my own address as the destination addresss, neglected to put a stamp on it, and put my friends address as the 'Return To' address.

Because there is no stamp, it got sent to the return address (which was actually where I needed it to go).

Messing with the P.O is fun. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Zebra3 wrote:

Or do it to two junk companies, giving each the address of the other one. After sending a few things, start to include messages like "REVENGE" or "THIS'LL TEACH YOU TO SEND US YOUR CRAP". See if you can get them to start sending the stuff themselves (no idea how you'd know if they did though).
    The-Rigger wrote:
    Also, too see if it would work, I've posted a letter for free to a friend.

I put my own address as the destination addresss, neglected to put a stamp on it, and put my friends address as the 'Return To' address.

Because there is no stamp, it got sent to the return address (which was actually where I needed it to go).

Messing with the P.O is fun. ;)
    Did that work? I had that idea before and thought I had discovered a way to send free post but was told it wouldn't work because apparently you have to pay to get back something sent without a stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

While funny the letters have a fixed price.

So the junk mailer is not loosing any extra money. If anything you are placing a burden on Anpost who will just up the price of everything to cover the extra work. Also if something other then a letter shows up they will just bin it.

Now if you just put a different junk mail into the letters then it has to go through the opening process. That is costing the money to the company.

Advertisement