Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Tunnel Tolls for Northsiders & Southsiders

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Well he's not from here so how was he to know? That is one of the biggest complaints about taxi drivers is that the crooked ones tend to overcharge those who don't have a knowledge of the city.

But even though I have lived here for seven years now, I would most likely fall for the same line if a taxi driver gave it to me. Especially if it was only €3. Maybe not if it were to be an extra €12.

In my work we get alot of people visiting us from the UK and we are in Donnybrook. They all take taxis to and from the airport. I'd say they'd be easy prey for such charges.

The correct line on this is that a taxi driver is entitled to charge you for any tolls/parking fees incurred in a journey, and especially if you request them to travel via a tolled road/bridge. They are not entitled to charge to return via same. All reporting of taxi grievences are handled by the Taxi Regulator and not the Carriage Office; be prepared to fill out many forms if you wish to report a driver for same. If you are using staff from overseas, Terror, try tell them not to use the tunnel unless absolutely essential, ie one hour till take off, rush hour PM etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tom1975

I see in today's news that tolls will be dropped to 3 euro at weekends for car users to encourage more traffic at weekends. This is at odds with the tunnel's aim to primarily facilitate HGVs. This seems to add credibility to the argument that the tunnel is being underused. I'd be interested to see if a report is produced at year end to see what savings were made to the economy in 2007 by the existence of the tunnel (ie speedier deliveries of goods etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

I do accept the validity of tolls as a means of controlling congestion, but the charge at off-peak times needs to be seriously tweaked.

Like the Sydney Harbour Bridge, it should be tolled in one direction only, for example inbound in the morning peak and outbound in the evening peak, and that would maximise the benefit to the city.

It´s in everyone´s interest to have as many cars as possible running through that tunnel, away from the congested streets above it. But the inept city council that gave the world Royston Brady can never see the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

The city council did not give the world Royston Brady, his parents did. And the voters of Dublin gave Mr Brady to the Council!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

tom1975 wrote:
    This seems to add credibility to the argument that the tunnel is being underused.

Would you expect the tunnel to be used at the same rate by HGVs during the weekend? I thought it was a smart move. The toll can change to promote it's usage but priority is still given to the HGVs. That's what it was designed for wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Metrobest wrote:
    It´s in everyone´s interest to have as many cars as possible running through that tunnel, away from the congested streets above it.
    One has to be careful that this doesn't cause extra traffic.
    But the inept city council that gave the world Royston Brady can never see the bigger picture.
    The NRA is the major partner in the tunnel, not the council.

Advertisement