Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the little Lidl sailing boats dangerous ?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Anyone else found the little Lidl sailing dinghies have insufficient buoyancy ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

vesp wrote:
    Anyone else found the little Lidl sailing dinghies have insufficient buoyancy ?

Well if you look at the recent activities off the west cork coastline that should be example enough of what the little lidl dinghies are capable of. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

What has west Cork got to do with the Lidl dinghies ?

The subject is a serious question - has anyone any opinions on the amount of buoyancy in these dinghies, or opinions about the amount of water they hold after a capsize ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just posting about the smuggling operation busted by the gardai. No offense meant. Its a bit rough for dinghies at the moment though. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

you could try extra buoyancy bags to allow it to float higher. Normally the built in buoyancy just stops the boat sinking and should allow you to bail out. I've seen many opies holding lots of water and being low with kids in them. Once they don't sink it's nothing to worry about depite being tippy until you bail them.

The Lidl boats are not oppis or Optimists.

To get back to the subject matter, the kids I saw who capsized in the lidl boats could not self-rescue - even though they could in their previous boats like mirrors and picos. This is because of the design / construction of the lidl boats - not enough buoyancy and when the kids climb back in they are swamped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

If they can't self rescue then they appear to be lacking buoyancy. Perhaps they need an extra air bag attached to make them float higher but it doesn't sound the best. Are the boats CE marked with a boat cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I wouldn't buy a boat in Lidl. Supermarkets selling watersports equipment is a recipe for disaster. Lidl have a special coming up for a inflatable dinghy with motor for €200 I shudder to think what is going to happen when some genius takes that out to see. You can't underestimate the stupidity of some people.

I was racing with a guy last week in DL who was using Aldi salopettes. He was soaked by the end of the race and even if he hadn't been rail bait I doubt he would be fit for anything. Decent gear costs money for a reason.

For decent gear at a good price: http://www.quaywestmarine.co.uk/main.asp?sitepages=Useful

I agree that Quay marine in the UK do decent brands - miles ahead of the Lidl own brand rubbish. However the same brands are available in Ireland, often at much the same price eg Musto Inshore jacket is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

They are just about adequate for a garden pond but not much more. Also, the €600 inflatable with a 9.9 o/board develops serious instability in tight turns.
    Buy a boat with a known history/pedigree. This is particularly true if you intend going to sea.

• Advertisement

milkerman wrote:
    They are just about adequate for a garden pond but not much more. Also, the €600 inflatable with a 9.9 o/board develops serious instability in tight turns.
    Buy a boat with a known history/pedigree. This is particularly true if you intend going to sea.

Agreed 100%

Advertisement