Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stairs Collapse in the Museum :O

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Bloody Hell

Linkage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

:D just read that a few mins. ago in the "Region - Dublin " - that mental (yes, pighead mental)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Seems like old news, you might even say history:D

Sorry, I was actually going to go there last week, the museum need a complete revamp anyway, this should prove it to them

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lucky no-one was killed, I'd say those stairs are pretty high.

That's gonna cost the museum in insurance.

I wonder which Government minister will be blamed for this? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Oops sure we can put our very own after hours spin on it..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

irishbird wrote:
    :D just read that a few mins. ago in the "Region - Dublin " - that mental (yes, pighead mental)

Nice one! I'll be watching in case he starts giving you grief again. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

I was there only last weekend with my 1 year old daughter, place is a but of a dump and the stuffed animals have seen better days, only thing good about it was that it is free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Linford wrote:
    the stuffed animals have seen better days
    Eh, yeah, like when they were alive?

seansouth wrote:
    Eh, yeah, like when they were alive?

Hah.. thats classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I brought my pet mammoth to the Natural History Museum the other week.
    They let me in, but told him to get stuffed....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

That's insane! OMG! It is a bit of a dump inside though. And also quite scary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I only had my kdis there a while back, the building is very old.
    Hopefully it won't be long before it is restored and reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Were any of the museum pieces damaged?

:eek:

Gardai are fearing the worst, as they've found lots of bones at the disaster area...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I hope they're taking steps to ensure nothing like this ever happens again;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

A dump? That's an amazing museum! Hopefully it will get a bit of money pumped into it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

A dump? That's an amazing museum! Hopefully it will get a bit of money pumped into it now!

It needs an injection of cash alright, but they better not change a thing!! It's an amazing museum. It is what a real museum should be, before they introduced all these animatronic dinosaurs and plastic models, etc (e.g London natural History Museum- amazing building structurally, but the museum itself is too hollywood). If I wanted to see fake dinosaurs I'd go to the movies!!

The Natural History Museum in Oxford is also stunning, well worth a visit for the Dodo alone!

Ironically though, it has been the historic lack of funding to the museum in Dublin that has allowed it stay so untouched. It is a "museum of a museum" and long may it remain as it is....although fix the stairs obviously!!

It suffers from a lack of funding because a relatively low number of people actually bother to visit. If you've never, been I urge you, take a trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

It really is a museum of a museum. It has exhibits that say things like "This was the last tiger of its species and was expertly shot by General Walter Murphy Higginbottom in British East Africa".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

From the sounds of it, those stairs were as old as the exhibits. Glad no-one was badly injured though.
    You'll probably see lots of psychological damage appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

nice museum , plus it's free, about the only free thing in Dublin these days, perhaps this will lead to some renovations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

So a stair case collapsed on a plane in Galway because of a big gust of wind, in a museum which caused it to crash and float out to sea with 91 boats and a bunch of kids.

Binomate wrote:
    So a stair case collapsed on a plane in Galway because of a big gust of wind, in a museum which caused it to crash and float out to sea with 91 boats and a bunch of kids.

If Lidl did the news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I hope they don`t decide to change the character of the museum, it has an amazing Victorian quality within itself. From what I gathered off Teletext was that the stair case was a structure not normally used by the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

tis a rickety place indeed. The things in there are so funny looking. Like pre loved teddys. Still though, I'll think twice next time I'm told it can't hurt to go to Museums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'm not surprised. Those stairs at the Natural History Museum are/were so dodgy and it was bound to happen sooner than later. Good thing the whole building didn't collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

i went to the museum for the first time in years today and was told ut was shut by a bangarda, was wondering why there were so many guards around, now i know why!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i go there a bit, its a brilliant musuem and they got a new stuffed giraffe a few years ago - it will be a shame if they change it now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm not surprised. Those stairs at the Natural History Museum are/were so dodgy and it was bound to happen sooner than later. Good thing the whole building didn't collapse.
    I was there last year, killing some time before a meeting, and I remember going up the stairs there to the higher mezzanine levels at the back thinking to myself that the stairs were pretty rickedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

wonder how long it'll take for the neckbraces and crutches to come out of the wardrobes?
    "psychological damage" can be a real cash cow

the natural history museum was long overdue for a revamp anyway
    it's rubbish, Collins Barracks' military history exhibit is where it's at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

phasers wrote:
    the natural history museum was long overdue for a revamp anyway it's rubbish, Collins Barracks' military history exhibit is where it's at
    I wouldn't say that it's rubbish, it's more of a museum of a museum, more by accident of underfunding than design, but it still remains a very interesting curio.

I went to the British Natural History Museum in Kensington a few years back and that was rubbish. Barely anything 'real' on display and the place was full of interactive touchscreen 'exhibits' designed to cater for children in what I'd call a very patronising way. I was hugely disappointed.

There was very little to actually see, considering the vast size of the British Natural History Musuem. At least our own is packed to the gills with interesting stuff and real exhibits.

I also agree with you re Collins Barracks. Fantastic and under-visited.

Advertisement