Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still buy Donegal Newspapers ?..

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote:
    Anyone got any info about the new Finn Valley Post that I see being advertised along the Lifford - Ballybofey road?
    First edition this Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote:
    First edition this Wednesday.
    Is it free or will the Finn valley Voice have some competition?

byte

Says it'll be on Newsagents shelves, so I'd say it won't be free... If it were free, I'd have expected them to say as much in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

muffler wrote:
    Is it free or will the Finn valley Voice have some competition?

The radio ad also says something about 'in your home' so they may plan to deliver it around the towns, which would suggest it is free?

Anyway, if they don't have regular dodgy black and white photos of dangerous-looking but harmless exotic insects I'm sticking with the Voice for now.

Yeah, I just heard the ad o Highland radio this morning and it does indeed sound like it will be free - unless they plan selling door to door

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

As someone who worked, albeit very briefly, in the offices of one of these papers a few years ago, I can tell you there's not much in the way of investigative journalism to be found. Most stories are either phoned in or gathered through contacts, the senior reporters at least very rarely have to leave their offices, except for the major headlines.

That said, there's usually no need anyway, as most stories do not require too much on the ground coverage. But I wouldn't be relying on the press as an all-seeing watchdog for the county. However, they do provide a valuable community service, and are always happy to promote and advertise local events, and are generally quite a sound bunch.

As for the abundance of papers creating more employment, well competition's a good and a bad thing, and I don't think most of the journalists get the largest of salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

curtains wrote:
    As someone who worked, albeit very briefly, in the offices of one of these papers a few years ago, I can tell you there's not much in the way of investigative journalism to be found. Most stories are either phoned in or gathered through contacts, the senior reporters at least very rarely have to leave their offices, except for the major headlines.

That said, there's usually no need anyway, as most stories do not require too much on the ground coverage. But I wouldn't be relying on the press as an all-seeing watchdog for the county. However, they do provide a valuable community service, and are always happy to promote and advertise local events, and are generally quite a sound bunch.

As for the abundance of papers creating more employment, well competition's a good and a bad thing, and I don't think most of the journalists get the largest of salaries.

Curtains,

Nice post, I like it ;) .

P. :cool:

muffler wrote:
    Yeah, I just heard the ad o Highland radio this morning and it does indeed sound like it will be free - unless they plan selling door to door

That darn ad, was getting up my nose, as I did not have a clue what they were on about, now things are becoming clear :) .

Although it looks to me as if a 'Media war' printwise is afoot.

As for 'The Finn Valley Voice' I will not miss them, if they fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Finn Valley post to be €1. Not that dear really I suppose, though still not free!

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:

I have read it and I am not very impressed, it looks like an advertising rag, without much hard news.

It is mainly advertising, well composed, but then such is the tabloid press, it remind's of a Sunday Tabloid, without the attraction of sensationalism.

I hope it improve's :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paddy20 wrote:
    I have read it and I am not very impressed, it looks like an advertising rag, without much hard news.

It is mainly advertising, well composed, but then such is the tabloid press, it remind's of a Sunday Tabloid, without the attraction of sensationalism.

I hope it improve's :( .

Well it is the Finn Valley Post and their competition will be the Finn Valley News!:rolleyes:

There is far too many at the minute and its got to the stage that I just get the Letterkenny Post as the rest seem to be repitition. People's Press if Donegal are playing or County Championship to get reviews. With the LK Post, at least its free and their is only so much you can expect from a free newspaper.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Well it is the Finn Valley Post and their competition will be the Finn Valley News!:rolleyes

Maybe you mean 'The Finn Vally Voice' ?:rolleyes:

P.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paddy20 wrote:
    Seanies32 wrote:
    Well it is the Finn Valley Post and their competition will be the Finn Valley News!:rolleyes

Maybe you mean 'The Finn Vally Voice' ?:rolleyes:

:o I know news and the Finn Valley in one title. ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Hi all,
    I am a journo and totally agree the market is totally saturated wit papers.. ps Paddy's claim about journalists stories being repeated in other local papers is total nonsense!!

donegalboy wrote:
    ps Paddy's claim about journalists stories being repeated in other local papers is total nonsense!!
    Paddy may not be right about a lot of things but he has a point about the stories being repeated in different papers. I have seen this on numerous occasions myself. We all know that Donegal Peoples Press/Democrat are one and the same and will carry the same stories but I cant understand how the Donegal News carries the same stories word for word.

Im not referring to "news as it happens" but more along the lines of stories relating to court cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dont live in donegal any more, lived in letterkenny for bout 5 years, but still buy the donegal news most weeks, usally on sale in sligo on the saturday on sunday, get the demo ocasioally

irish-stew wrote:
    dont live in donegal any more, lived in letterkenny for bout 5 years, but still buy the donegal news most weeks, usally on sale in sligo on the saturday on sunday, get the demo ocasioally

I am surprised, to see this thread being raised from the dead. However, as it has been reurrected, I will admit that the ever increasing number of newspaper title's which also seem to be linked to Radio Station's with journalists that I respect obviously involved in the sea change. Something interesting is happening. I honestly think eventually this will prove to be in the best interest of both readers and radio listeners in the North- West.

Paddy20 wrote:
    I am surprised, to see this thread being raised from the dead. However, as it has been reurrected, I will admit that the ever increasing number of newspaper title's which also seem to be linked to Radio Station's with journalists that I respect obviously involved in the sea change. Something interesting is happening. I honestly think eventually this will prove to be in the best interest of both readers and radio listeners in the North- West.

I dont really understand what you are saying Paddy - can you elaborate and give us an example.

muffler wrote:
    I dont really understand what you are saying Paddy - can you elaborate and give us an example.

I think Chris Ashmore the Journalist with The Letterkeny Post, and now the Editor of The Finn Valley Post, who also broadcasts on sporting events in particular on so many Radio Stations that I have lost track, could answer exactly what is happening with our N.W. Media war.

Why not ask him, as he is directly involved and is known for his honesty ;) .

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    I think Chris Ashmore the Journalist with The Letterkeny Post, and now the Editor of The Finn Valley Post, who also broadcasts on sporting events in particular on so many Radio Stations that I have lost track, could answer exactly what is happening with our N.W. Media war.

Why not ask him, as he is directly involved and is known for his honesty ;) .

He didn't post a comment here but you did Paddy so I can only ask you.

So what is happening in this media war you refer to?
    What do you mean by "Something interesting is happening" and how will this something " prove to be in the best interest of both readers and radio listeners in the North- West."

Im still lost on this one

muffler wrote:
    He didn't post a comment here but you did Paddy so I can only ask you.

So what is happening in this media war you refer to?
    What do you mean by "Something interesting is happening" and how will this something " prove to be in the best interest of both readers and radio listeners in the North- West."

Im still lost on this one

Business is business, and naturally secretive. It is a pity that Chris has not posted a hint as to what is going on. However all my instincts and observations indicate a major sea change in the media world in the North- West. I am genuinely intrigued as to who is funding all the new newspaper titles and the Radio station 'Ocean FM' ?.:confused: So we are in the same boat on this one.

Paddy20 wrote:
    Business is business, and naturally secretive. It is a pity that Chris has not posted a hint as to what is going on. However all my instincts and observations indicate a major sea change in the media world in the North- West. I am genuinely intrigued as to who is funding all the new newspaper titles and the Radio station 'Ocean FM' ?.:confused: So we are in the same boat on this one.

Rivermedia make no secret of their involvement in either Ocean FM or rivermedia newspapers nor indeed their involvement with the Q stations in Northern Ireland. I fail to see what you are alluding to paddy.

Check out any of the companies websites

Rivermedia make no secret of their involvement in either Ocean FM or rivermedia newspapers nor indeed their involvement with the Q stations in Northern Ireland. I fail to see what you are alluding to paddy.

Check out any of the companies websites

Thanks for that donegalman1, I will certainly do that and reply after I have checked them out. :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just wondering if your papers are going the way of the Derry ones yet - more and more photos of people out on the piss!

There is one Derry paper - think its called the Foyle News - and it costs 70p. It is thinner than some free papers and at a rough guess I'd say if you removed the party photos and death notices there is 60% gone.

And I'm not joking.

NIMAN wrote:
    Just wondering if your papers are going the way of the Derry ones yet - more and more photos of people out on the piss!

There is one Derry paper - think its called the Foyle News - and it costs 70p. It is thinner than some free papers and at a rough guess I'd say if you removed the party photos and death notices there is 60% gone.

And I'm not joking.

Good point NIMAN ;) .

byte

NIMAN wrote:

And I'm not joking.
    You sure it's not the Derry News? It's owned by River Media, who also own Donegal Post, Letterkenny Post, etc, all of which have pages filled with people out on the razzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

byte wrote:
    You sure it's not the Derry News? It's owned by River Media, who also own Donegal Post, Letterkenny Post, etc, all of which have pages filled with people out on the razzle.

No I appreciate that the Derry News is full of 'razzle' pics, but at least its quite a chunky paper - full of rubbish but still chunky !!

No the paper is definitely not that. I am nearly sure its called the Foyle News. It is completely B&W from what I remember - at least the razzle pics in the Derry News are in colour.

I think all this is a sad indication of the way newspapers are going. People are so obsessed with the cult of celebrity, footballers wives, X Factor, Big Brother, fashion, nonsense that they are happy to buy a paper now that is filled with people out drinking, just in case they know someone or are in it themselves. How sad is this? Nearly as sad as the whole 'children in limos' fad that Derry is gripped by now. I think Derry must have more limos per head of population that LA or Vegas.

I think most of the papers referred to as part of the rivermedia group do feature pics of people out at night but are dominated by ads more so. The Derry news which to be fair I only bought once does have more news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Cocobells

I buy them for jobs as im new to donegal and actively seeking work, but there is no work, ah yes what a wonderful county it is

Advertisement