Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freak weather event in Rush?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Ball lightning? Are there any eyewitnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

That rte report is very vague, why didn't they say what meteireann told them rather than just "freak weather"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

txt news said gardai looking for explosive device. Might have been a boat that blew up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A very small meteor exploded in the upper atmosphere perhaps? Not as mad as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Perviously unexploded WW2 anti shipping mine maybe?. Plenty of them still floating around out there, some of them even wash ashore from time to time.

• Advertisement

It's a bizarre story, I've only just seen the video and radio reports of it. They seem to have ruled out the bomb thing because they've done aerial and under sea searches but can't find anything to suggest an explosion even happened. John eagleton said something about a methane burst from deep underground. If you listen to the radio report one witness said it caused damage to partially built houses and you can hear all the alarms going off in the background. Whatever it was it must have had some power to cause such a strong vibration and boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The north dublin county region forum have a thread going about this too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115030

also uploaded the radar image at 2300 at the time of explosion.Very light precip and looks unlikely any lightning at the time.
    However lightning can strike without precip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

rc28 wrote:
    John eagleton said something about a methane burst from deep underground.

There was a dump at the end of the lane, where the Guards searched.
    It's not been used for several years now, but I remember as a kid seeing HUGE mounds of rotting tomatoes, cabbage etc. piled up there.

I suppose methane could explain it, sort of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

one of our allies breaking the sound barrier?
    Never heard sonic boom, could it be that loud?
    I am more in favour of meteorite theory though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Id say the meteorite theory would have been over a larger area me thinks if that was the case.But this just seems localised.??????

• Advertisement

This is off topic but was there lightning around today?:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/impacts/200707/18199327.html

Advertisement