Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explosion in Rush

Options
  • 02-07-2007 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭

I got a text from a fellow boardsie this morning to tell me about an explosion close to the north beach (near Clifflands) in Rush late last night.

Windows were rattled up to 500 yards away. The Gardaí were out in force, but nothing was found.

Anybody have more on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭keithrus

I live in the area but it felt more like something hit the roof.
    Went to the scene where fire brigade and cops were there, word was it was a gas explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Blast felt in Loughshinny too according to latest word on the street. It must have been some explosion.

Begs the question as to whether we need higher security at the interconnector station at Drumanagh and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

apologies. i was on the guinness all weekend and had just eaten 25 quids worth of chinese.

Word from police is that the loud bang was due to the 'weather'.

Can anyone confirm this??

• Advertisement

Sounds like a load of BS. For a start there was smoke seen in the area after the blast (or so I'm told).

Also, I can't imagine what weather phenomenon (even thunder & lightning) would rattle windows from Rush to Loughshinny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

could it have been this http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wn&ncl=1117774829

same line of sight sorta

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

There was an unmerciful bang in Balbriggan about a year ago, maybe a little more. I think it was discussed here at the time. That was apparently a freak clap of thunder, although to me it sounded like a bomb went off in the street! This maybe the same, but the smoke, if true, would indicate there's more to it this time.

I'm reliably informed that shortly after the blast the guards were conduct a search in a very specific area opposite Clifflands. They wouldn't have been doing that if it was weather-related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Theres possibility that its an old sea mine from the second World War that finally corroded and exploded.
    About 10 years ago there were a few phosphorus bombs that drifted ashore and exploded/burned out
    but like I say - only a possibility.

blastman wrote:
    There was an unmerciful bang in Balbriggan about a year ago, maybe a little more. I think it was discussed here at the time. That was apparently a freak clap of thunder, although to me it sounded like a bomb went off in the street! This maybe the same, but the smoke, if true, would indicate there's more to it this time.

yeah I remember that, it was a weekend about 11am or so - scared the bejesus outta me, I was fast asleep - never got from sleep to standing so quickly in my life - but far as I know that was definitely thunder.

• Advertisement

Yes it is true. The police were on force. Many a searchlight scoured the fields opposite Clifflands estate as you exit and head on toward the coast. The Garda Helicopter even paid a visit and lent the use of his searchlight.

They seemed to have found nothing after reports from us locals.

So they blame the weather...... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Yeah, the other half boss works in Skerries and said they heard it there and some house alarms went off.

It was about 11pm. Like the typical rubbernecker, I hopped in the car and went out the Skerries road. There used be an old dump on the edge of the sea, up the lane from Clifflands. Firemen went down there on foot to search but found nothing.
    I watched while two helicopters arrived. One started to search the area and the other moved off pretty quickly.

Speculation was either an old WW2 mine or maybe an explosion on a boat, although you'd assume there would be some debris.

There was a large boat reported not too far from Lambay earlier in the evening. I noticed it at about 9pm when driving to extravision as it was larger than boats you normaly see in the area. Someone else thought this was a naval vessel.... Some speculation that this may have had something to do with the bang, We'll probably never know.

Area 51..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Roswell - Rush

Coincidence?

I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

blastman wrote:

Turns out that was lightning hitting that new retail park out by wavin (was still under construction at the time).

That was some bloody wake up call!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Maybe it was two more guys on their way to Glasgow airport using a crap sat nav system and got lost ?????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

I was in bed last night when I heard a huge bang, I thought it was an explosion. I jumped out of bed but could not see anything. I am in Rivervalley in Swords........... Glad I saw this thread cos I thought I was going mad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I see that my contemporaneous thread on the subject has 'disappeared'! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

pithater1 wrote:
    Turns out that was lightning hitting that new retail park out by wavin (was still under construction at the time).

That was some bloody wake up call!
    Really? I hadn't heard that. It was some wake-up call, all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Blastman I hope you have an alibi with a name like that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its must have been methane in the ground?

thought it was funny when they said if anyone has info contact the dublin institue for advanced studies cos they investigate unknown phenomena?

ooh our own xfiles?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

TV3 mentioned an alien spacecraft.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I wondered what the hell that poxy helicopter was doing swooping over me in my cosy quiet bed in the middle of the night (I'm in Swords too and heard nothing except the chopper low over my roof).

I blame the immigrants

its must have been methane in the ground?
    You may be on the right track there. As a fellow boardsie reminded me last night over the years local farmers used to dump rotten vegetables (house-sized mounds of them) in a field near where the blast was heard.

I think that it was aliens myself. Evidence:

Clifflands (near blast) = X-files

keithrus (local resident) = Scully / Mulder

That's too much of a coincidence!

TV3 mentioned an alien spacecraft.:rolleyes:
    ....and they also mentioned the "Harbour in Lusk" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Hill Billy wrote:

I think that it was aliens myself. Evidence:

Clifflands (near blast) = X-files

keithrus (local resident) = Scully / Mulder

That's too much of a coincidence!

and its the 70th annivarsary of Roswell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Actually..........doesn't Sean McCarthy, CEO of Steorn, live in Clifflands court? ;)

There are no family by the name of McCarthy living in that part of Clifflands.

SeaSide wrote:
    and its the 70th annivarsary of Roswell.....

Its is the 60th anniversary, but in an alternative universe it may very well be the 70th. :p

Actually..........doesn't Sean McCarthy, CEO of Steorn, live in Clifflands court? ;)
    keithrus wrote:
    There are no family by the name of McCarthy living in that part of Clifflands.
    MyCarthyism! :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Phae

Hi, we were camping at Northbeach on Sunday night and the explosion was huge, shook the ground and set off car/ house alarms. Ten mins later emergency services arrived and then two helicopters searching a specific area of the sea and beach.
    Our first thought was bomb, then gas explosion. Now think maybe old bomb in sea. We saw no smoke.
    Flew back to England early next morning, very intrigued. Lovely taxi driver we met texted me local news report and have been checking on net for explanation. Definately not thunder or freak weather!!!!
    Phae

Advertisement