Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Dublin tram network dismantled?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

It lead to a safety assessment, audit, and a decision was made to retain the network after the Knockcroghery derailment. The condition of the infrastructure was regarded as unacceptable. Therefore, it had to be completely renewed and replaced.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

On the subject of the old Dublin tram lines, can anyone tell me if the old style street lamp standards you see on some roads - like the Conyngham and Chapelizod Roads - were these parts of the tram electric line pylons?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know. A lot of the current lamp posts around the city are imitation, not originals. I imagine they might have the suspension bracket still if they are originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

As far as i'm aware the "poles" down conygham rd and the chapelizod road are the last remnants of the old tramway systems pylons that carried the o.h.l.e.,i've no link but only the infinite wisdom of my father and he's rarely wrong;)

Advertisement