Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Azotel-Ocean - West Waterford

Options
  • 20-06-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Am looking for a broadband provider in west waterford area and came across Azotel-Ocean.

Does anyone know of Azotel-Ocean?
    Does anyone use this company?
    Does their service do exactly as it says on the tin?

Regards,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 csniper

I got Azotel-Ocean installed recently - am very impressed with the speed- I am downloading large files at over 100kBps …which is fast.

Their installation guys were saying that the main site is in Carrondavderg which is plenty high with good coverage of all of the West Waterford area, they were saying that they have others sites main sites and reflector sites around the county and the East Cork area.

God bless them anyway has allowed even me, all the ways out in the sticks here to get Broadband!!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another wireless crowd I've never heard of. Anyone got a list of suppliers, there seems to be dozens at this stage

Mike..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

amocom franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I took the chance in the end & got broadband installed from Azotel-Ocean. First of all, they are really grand people to deal with - no airs or graces and the product does exactly as it says on the tin. The installer was sound - nothing was a problem, even the tight space he had to get the cable through.

As for the product - it does exactly as it says on the tin. 1MB down and 256K up. Anytime I have done a speed test, those are the figures I get. I have not had any reason to call for support so I cannot say anything about that but based on my dealings so far with them, I don't see a problem.

So far so good - I'm a very happy camper. I would love faster speeds though.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

amocom franchise
    Incorrect. Azotel franchise, hence the "Azotel" in the company name. Amocom are a seperate entity altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maciris

Bad Things about Azotel...

Ok I have been with the in the last year or so...

They are real nice when things are good but if there is a conflict then we got a porblem!

All ports are blocked on that so that means you can use stuff like Ventrilo and so on and they only recently allowed P2P but its really slow and it before hand they didnt allow anything like that so if you have to download a program true p2p (witch most do when the file is over 2gb) then your in trouble now you can download this file but at what cost? having it download over 2 week and your still waiting.

Also we all use the same IP so that means everyone is using the same IP in registery and so on. and if anyone has desided to do a speed test I a adv of 420KB/ thats really bad and upload is about 120kb/s (remember this isent when you download the file will be at 420kb this means it will be alot lower and it can be random.

ok so we have all ports blocked (one of the reasons why you have the internet is so you can use programs and everything you do is true a port) and then you have crap speed....

and if this dosent make you think then when you download so much they put a "Cap" on you meaning your internet will be even worse so if you thought it was bad then dont cap!!! and when you cap it becomes worse the dial up.... so I pay €35 + equipment cost for worse then dial up!

I am atm using the best package they have for homes next one is bussnisses witch is 100€+ for month

so if you are looking for real crap internet then here is where you go but dam with BTIreland ATM they give a 30gb Cap and Unlimited with a 24MB/S (in selected areas) and if you can get that they provide the same but 7.5MB/S in all area for a cost of 56€ yes its more expensive but here is what you pay the extra 21€ for

)you can us all programs with out any problems

)True Qaulity broadband (If you can call Azotel Ocean broadband

)speed of 300x faster

) A homephone line for those great offers of free calls to other landlines (You dont have to have to home line pluged in you dont even need a homephone)

and when you are signing the contract I recommend asking for a copy or scanning it your self. because you have to give a 60 day notice when cancelling with then and there is a lot more there. all over Out of all the broadbands I have ever used Wow this is the worst.

I have "2mb" and my friend has 1mb with eircom and he has 2x the speed I have and now I am crying out why I didnt go with them. I am still waiting for my 60 days to be up and then I will be gone from them. If you wont easy broadband with a qaulity connect go with anyone but Azotel. even the cheapest from eircom is better then this one.... and if you have no landline in and eircom has to put a full installation (121€) + and broadband Activation (30€) thats cheaper then Azotel there installation as I remember is €175. at the end of the day it is up to you people but dont be fooled find someone with a connection already and compair it to eircom... or anyone the unlimited download and upload is great but it is so not worth it.. and you pay for that in quality

So if I was anyone considering it PLEASE!!!!! consider dial up before Azotel..

And they may brib you with static IP and so on witch will make it better but why do I have to pay for addons for a qality broadban (still dosent make a difference) all you get is full port and you if you may put in the wrong IP or asign a IP to your computer with a IP they will cut you off (As if you try to connect with your equipment they say you broke your terms on contract but what you do on your machine is your bissniss now if you do something to there router thats different... but you cant access it because they have a password on it and you are not allow so beware if you get your own IP you can only use 1 computer at a time because the assigned IP is your Public IP and thats just BS!

Oh and if you try email them esspect a wait of up to 3 weeks or maybe no reply at all

and then there can be a delay in connection this can happen often so if you are using a program with constant connection then you might have a real problem like alot of "lag" as some call it.

Good things....

hmm....

3 hours later....

Hmm

Infinity Later....

If you are cheap and wont the worst quality broadband then here you are... if you are looking for Speed always connection and no delay then go to eircom BTIREland and so on there are many...

I recommend that you do no make the same mistake as I did eircom is the way to go I was one of those eircom hater but now hmmm you can say "I SEE THE LIGHT!!!!!!!!"

csniper wrote: »
    I got Azotel-Ocean installed recently - am very impressed with the speed- I am downloading large files at over 100kBps …which is fast.

Their installation guys were saying that the main site is in Carrondavderg which is plenty high with good coverage of all of the West Waterford area, they were saying that they have others sites main sites and reflector sites around the county and the East Cork area.

God bless them anyway has allowed even me, all the ways out in the sticks here to get Broadband!!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

you can get that with eircom maybe better with the cheapest package and thats how it started for me but now there are alot and quality is **** and I would bearly call this broadband

Dummy wrote: »
    I took the chance in the end & got broadband installed from Azotel-Ocean. First of all, they are really grand people to deal with - no airs or graces and the product does exactly as it says on the tin. The installer was sound - nothing was a problem, even the tight space he had to get the cable through.

As for the product - it does exactly as it says on the tin. 1MB down and 256K up. Anytime I have done a speed test, those are the figures I get. I have not had any reason to call for support so I cannot say anything about that but based on my dealings so far with them, I don't see a problem.

So far so good - I'm a very happy camper. I would love faster speeds though.

D

that has totally changed now :D

Speed test:

1: http://www.irishisptest.com:443/myspeed/db/report?id=205871

2: http://www.irishisptest.com:443/myspeed/db/report?id=205883

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maybe ICE Bought them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ewww,they sound awful, 5k download and 202k upload WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Maybe ICE Bought them :cool:

Or a group comprising ice and three

I know!!!!! Imagine paying 35€ and as that I am young I have moved house 2 time in last 4 years so 100€ to move and first installation was 175€ and then 35€ I thought it was good and I was desprit imagine how I feel now.... this tread has been open a while and no one yet has told what they really are like.... and there contract ha that s a laugh im thinking everytime I have them on the found with a problem they rewrite that stupid contract. also the contract at I spent over 45€ on call credit calling them waiting and then something goes wrong and guess what more credit spent they are real bad.... and as far as I know there are like only 3-4 people accrally working there... (adding the Techs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

barnicles wrote: »
    Or a group comprising ice and three

We could call them Thrice!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Hi,

I'm with them and find them grand.

Fine for VOIP, no particular issues.
    They trimmed P2P a couple of months ago, fyi.

have you ever tryed to watch something on http://rte.ie/live or something that requires streaming over time (like VOIP I have done so many tests on this and it always say that it is very bad and quality of service is bad...

dont be stupid and make my mistake is to ust go to eircom or BTireland they have some good offers even better then eircom they compair them and they seem server good.

if they cared about there custamores they would think quality over quantity.
    but ofc this is how they make money now but they will not develop because people will leave over time when they learn that going with eircom or BTIRELAND will be way better then azotel... if you live out in the sticks I would still not get it I would wait till eircom gets out to you because they are still trying to get all areas in broadband.... just anoy them.... and if you live in a city or so on BT Vs Azotel no chance at all for azotel. we are paying for to access there internet wtf!!! just if you know your naigbour and he got wireless its the same thing... all we are doing is paying there boardband bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mr_Broadband

:confused: I have been reading the comments from MACIRIS, I find these totally amazing, totally incorrect and open to possible legal action.

Its a shame that people who leave such comments hide their identity from everyone, therefore these faceless individuals are free to make unjustified comments about companies that are bringing high quailty services to their customers, both in towns/cities and rural areas. which cost companies a lot of money to rollout.

Dont forget!!! other landline companies would not be really intrested in rolling out broadband in many rural areas if it wasnt for wireless operators getting there first and the state pressure on them.

If the faceless person who wote all the negitave comments above is the same person I thinks it is, well what can I say!!!

This person has breached our contract several times and been warned, he has tried to access the network equipment a number of times, has tried setting up a public DHCP/DNS server on the network.

He regular breaches the acceptable use policy, we have also received warnings about him from other companies.

The reason his connection may be bad is that we had to suspend his account and only very recently reconnected him after he sent emails and contacted us a number of times.

The most amazing thing, is the customer has just resigned another 12 month contract????

So if our service is that bad why would you sign up again for 12 months, so anyone reading the above dreadfully writen comments, should take them with a pinch of salt and ignore them totally!!!

We offer a good quality service and are one of the lowest priced wireless operators within Ireland, when you join us, you wont be disapointed with our service!!!

Thank you for reading my reply.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

:confused: I have been reading the comments from MACIRIS, I find these totally amazing, totally incorrect and open to possible legal action.

Its a shame that people who leave such comments hide their identity from everyone, therefore these faceless individuals are free to make unjustified comments about companies that are bringing high quailty services to their customers, both in towns/cities and rural areas. which cost companies a lot of money to rollout.

Dont forget!!! other landline companies would not be really intrested in rolling out broadband in many rural areas if it wasnt for wireless operators getting there first and the state pressure on them.

If the faceless person who wote all the negitave comments above is the same person I thinks it is, well what can I say!!!

This person has breached our contract several times and been warned, he has tried to access the network equipment a number of times, has tried setting up a public DHCP/DNS server on the network.

He regular breaches the acceptable use policy, we have also received warnings about him from other companies.

The reason his connection may be bad is that we had to suspend his account and only very recently reconnected him after he sent emails and contacted us a number of times.

The most amazing thing, is the customer has just resigned another 12 month contract????

So if our service is that bad why would you sign up again for 12 months, so anyone reading the above dreadfully writen comments, should take them with a pinch of salt and ignore them totally!!!

We offer a good quality service and are one of the lowest priced wireless operators within Ireland, when you join us, you wont be disapointed with our service!!!

Thank you for reading my reply.
    :)

If this is the faceless person you speak of, I find it highly unprofessional and inappropriate that you are openly discussing client specific details on a public forum.

I might also add that this insprires absolutely no desire or confidence to avail of your services.

There is a smell of spam to this thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mr_Broadband, I hardly think boards.ie is a suitable place to discuss one of your customers account activity
    - Breaching T&C's
    - Signing to a new contract
    - There network activity
    It is not very professional,

In relations to maciris comments, maciris I'd be very careful about what you say about any company especially if your refering to there service being bad, blocking ports etc its important you have stuff to back this up.

Its also worth noting that ANY customer of ANY ISP can have issues and one persons complaining (maciris) should not be taken as a full view of an ISP's performance, for example many people including myself wouldn't go near Eircom but others swear by it for good customer support etc.

Finally mariris if your that unhappy with the service then cancel it!, if as Mr_Broadband has suggested that you have signed a new contract then you only have yourself to blame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mr_Broadband

Samba wrote: »
    If this is the faceless person you speak of, I find it highly unprofessional and inappropriate that you are openly discussing client specific details on a public forum.

I might also add that this insprires absolutely no desire or confidence to avail of your services.

There is a smell of spam to this thread.

What client specific details are being given??? the only unprofessional and inappropriate comments came from MACIRIS.

No personal details were provided and I never would provide any, I am not representing any company and the above comments are mine personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Anyone else see the irony of a statement like this? MR. Broadband eh? I'm sure thats your real name. Simple fact is this is a forum that people can express their opinions and using your real name is not required so criticizing the fact that he like everyone else on this board posts anonymously is a pointless and uncalled for action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Its a shame that people who leave such comments hide their identity from everyone, therefore these faceless individuals are free to make unjustified comments about companies that are bringing high quailty services to their customers

That my friend, is the way the internet works, and long may it stay that way!

Ok I have looked more in to detail with stuff about this service and so on and I have learned its just how this way of serivce is run as like o2 Vodafone 3 Irish Broadband and so on. the type of connect that they all provide is near the same and the only thing you should be looking for is prices really and bandwith and so on.

As for MR Broadband if you have a problem with my comment instead of posting comment about personal stuff between your company and a personal information about one of your members if tere is a huge issue please contact boards.ie admin and if it violates any laws they will remove all comment to do with this issue as far as I know.

I would like to add since the day of that post the service and as I said Quality has changed alot where its holding a true connection and speed is what good now. My comment on how I viewed the issue at the time was how it is but it seems it has changed and the service is to be happy with.

so I will leave this at this because atm I dont give one dam about what others deside because broadband in ireland there is only one type.

If you go with any comany just read everything look at there tests of speed. ask them every question you can think of. And most of all find the one that is providing it for cheapist and just be careful on what you sign

as for commenting on one broadband provider its one persons opinion to another. I wonder how many people hate eircom so much sure I have heared of some lot of broadband companys out there and if you compair them to azotel its a different story. As a company develope they try fix the issues of others and work on it since I posted that comment broadband has been a high quality a short time after that. if this is the case if you need to shout on one of these forums to get there attention then thats whats going to have to happen. but I will admit now that it is worth the money anyone can pay.speed is good and I can quite happy. the port thing ye im a bit sad about that but oh well life moves on. and all that take these forum to heart. these forum have are just opinions if you cant take it why are you on a social forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 West_Wd

maciris wrote: »
    I would like to add since the day of that post the service and as I said Quality has changed alot where its holding a true connection and speed is what good now. My comment on how I viewed the issue at the time was how it is but it seems it has changed and the service is to be happy with.

so I will leave this at this because atm I dont give one dam about what others deside because broadband in ireland there is only one type.

If you go with any comany just read everything look at there tests of speed. ask them every question you can think of. And most of all find the one that is providing it for cheapist and just be careful on what you sign

as for commenting on one broadband provider its one persons opinion to another. I wonder how many people hate eircom so much sure I have heared of some lot of broadband companys out there and if you compair them to azotel its a different story. As a company develope they try fix the issues of others and work on it since I posted that comment broadband has been a high quality a short time after that. if this is the case if you need to shout on one of these forums to get there attention then thats whats going to have to happen. but I will admit now that it is worth the money anyone can pay.speed is good and I can quite happy. the port thing ye im a bit sad about that but oh well life moves on. and all that take these forum to heart. these forum have are just opinions if you cant take it why are you on a social forum.

I am just replying to try and get some balance and to allow people to be better able to judge for themselves.

My situation is that I live about 5 miles from the west Waterford Azotel transmitter. I signed up with azotel12 months last august so have been with them 15 months in total -and I have been very happy with the service.

I have had no problems with contention – I watch a lot of stuff every night on 4 OD (The Channel 4 online television station) and it streams without a hitch each and every nite. The same with file and music downloads- nearly always (95% of the time) up to max 1Mb download speeds. I don’t know about p2p as I don’t use this stuff. I tried skype out once (don’t really know that many people with skype) and it worked fine.

I just cannot understand what all the fuss is about – its broadband and it works. As far I know (as long as I have had the service) it has only been out of commission for 3 hours (after a power failure).

Just one more point – directed towards you mainly maciris- your posts are nearly unreadable due to spelling and poor grammar…it’s a real struggle to try and understand any of the points you are trying to make. As a friendly suggestion, if you have problems with these areas you might try typing the text of any post, which you intend making, into a word processing application like MS Word first and let it pick out spelling mistakes then save as a text file and copy and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I asked the original question last year and I see that the thread has blossomed somewhat.

I signed up with Azotel that time and renewed again this year. It works & works very well. I run my VOIP over it and this runs very well. When I need internet access, it's there available for me.

Our house is in a VERY isolated area and I was gobsmacked and lucky to have broadband access at all. If it wasn't available to us, I would have had to get a phone line installed and then pay for dialup, as well all the monthly line charges etc. So for me, this has saved me a bundle.

Azotel has never let me down at all, but have provided an excellent service to me. I'm a happy bunny and I say well done to them.

BTW - In case anyone is wondering - No, I don't work for Azotel or any internet company. In fact I don't know anyone that works there. I'm just a happy customer of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnBowen

I found this discussion because I googled azotel to look up a phone service I saw advertised on one of their vans.
    I just want to say that I cannot relate at all to the negative comments.
    We've had our broadband from Azotel since about may/june '07 and have never since had reason to contact them.
    I have no hesitation recommending them
    John Bowen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

HAve any gamers noticed that the ping is very high in the evening lately, My ping used to be always around 65 now it goes from 95 to 140.

In the mornings its 49

I was just looking at the previous posts from others about Azotel-Ocean. I would just like to say that but for Azotel-Ocean the most of us in the stix would be still on dialup and they should be applauded for giving us country folk an oppertunity to experience the net, expensive as it may be ;)

Eircom has recently upgraded the local exchange for broadband and i have been approached by them to take their broadband, but for me I will stick with Azotel for another while as i find their service to be reliable the majority of the time and they employ people locally.

I do test my speeds from time to time and it is normally what it should be 1mbit down & 256k up, except when i checked a few times yesterday http://www.speedtest.net where i am getting variable speeds between 180 - 400k down and 120 - 200k up which i think is the problem in the above post.

I have only this morning reported the problem by email, and if it is resolved quickly then i will be happy once again.

However my attitide may change over the course of the week, So watch this space !!! :)

Seemingly its due to the fair usage policy on the network that i have been limited, Software on the network has decteced large ammounts of P2P downloading and my bandwidth has been limited. All will be reset when my month ends.

Bit of a bummer i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 debiannet

Azotel Connection its Very bad qualiti, Do not install this internet !

Instalation cost me 200e and this is pictures after job:

s5022774dv3.th.jpgthpix.gif

Pictures from speedtest, this is the best from 1 year !

55827333ji2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Sorry for me english :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement