Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Visit Yes or No?

Options
  • 19-06-2007 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Would you mind the Queen visiting?

I don't see the point or how it would benefit however I don't care either way.

Queen Visit Yes or No? Why? 122 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 122 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

yet you feel the need to start a thread and add a poll:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

why in gods name did you start such a silly poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sure why not, shes more than welcome I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'll be there to welcome her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

other heads of state have visited...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Where's the Atari Jaguar option for those of us who couldn't give a rat's arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Why should anyone care? Im sure she will get a great reception. Prince Charles got a great reception years ago when he came here.
    She will just be like any other head of state visiting. Im sure there will be a few scumbags like the heads that ruined the organge parade.

I would not go to support her as im far too lazy to go to Dublin on a day off and see her... Though if she rolls on through rochfortbridge i will be there :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I don't see the point or how it would benefit

Do you feel the same about every state visit, or just this one?

I can see the point - it would show how the Irish/British relationship has matured to the point that a Queen on our land isn't an issue to anyone, nor is it any different than a German Chancellor or French President coming here.

There are also of plenty of potentially unseen connotations of this - be they to the benefit of the peace process or the NI economy, or trade between Ireland and Britain in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

There's only one person in ireland stupid enough to object to the queen visiting ireland and that is the now infamous celtic-jersey-wearing fan who protested against foreign games in croke park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes, as she is the head of state of a friendly neighbour and I'd just love to see all those Celtic jersey/white socks merchants jumping up and down as the Gards lay into them at the obligitory riot. ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

I don't see why not, she is the head of state of our nearest neighbor. To be quite honest it is a bit insulting that she hasn't visited the Republic of Ireland, is she trying to snub us! For her to visit us will be a final recognition that the head of the British thrown now accepts the Republic. Besides Ireland is just another former colony of the British crown, just like nearly 1/4 of the world at one point.

Blood has been split time and time again for our independence, we have our independence now, we'll never forget how we got it, but baring grudges over events in the past will never help Ireland move forward as a diverse, successful and a free country for all.

I say lets welcome her over, she can have tea in Farnham house, and we can show her OUR proud country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

What the others said........why should it matter? Anglo Irish relations have never been better, let the good times roll ;)

I'm getting the vibe though that this thread was intended as an anti-British 'the Queen should NOT be allowed here', 'after 700 years of opression' etc etc thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Yeah, she's kinda hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What the others said........why should it matter? Anglo Irish relations have never been better, let the good times roll ;)

I'm getting the vibe though that this thread was intended as an anti-British 'the Queen should NOT be allowed here', 'after 700 years of opression' etc etc thread :rolleyes:

I thought it was 800, still, what's the odd 100 years of oppression between friends:D

As long as she doesn't expect Dun Laoghaire to be renamed, I think it will be great, not that even a loyal subject such as I can be bothered to go and watch though;)

Sure we were a republic decades before she even became Queen. She was not even born when when we declared independance. I do not think she was even born when it was recognised by Britain.
    So for all her life, Ireland has been a seperate republic and not part of the empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Have no problem with anyone visiting as long as they bring me a present.

I see the "no" votes just got ahead with 9 to 8 yet almost every post is a yes :D Thats curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I thought it was 800, still, what's the odd 100 years of oppression between friends:D

Exactly, they can have that extra 100 on us ;). Besides, be nice to see Helen Mirren in person...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I thought Freddy was dead??:confused:

Sorry.... Mrs. Sachs-Coburg-Windsor can pop over any time she wants. As long as it is not obligatory for me to turn out and wave me little Union Jack, she is quite welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Exactly, they can have that extra 100 on us ;). Besides, be nice to see Helen Mirren in person...

does she still get her kit off for the cameras, or is she a bit too old for that now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure a friendly visit is OK.
    Tell her to bring a sixpack of Magners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Why not as long as she brings Phillip with her, he is a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

Oh ur talking about that Queen...... I wasn't sure if we were talking about Elton John or the Beckhams ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes, it would be a great way to compliment Bertie's visit to Westminster recently.

I can't see it going down too well with a certain section of the population though........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll have a salad and some fluffy bikkies ready out here in Lucan. :D

And bring Phil with you; we can chat about sport. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I'd be happy to see her come to Ireland. My only fear is that we get the same bunch of skangers who rioted at the "Love Ulster" parade. The same bunch of skangers who if you asked questions such as.

"Who is Padraig Pearse,James Connolly, James Larkin, Daniel O'Connell".

Padraig who?....Whodefck is he?
    James Connolly.....never heard of him in me life....does he live in Cabra?
    Jim Larkin....Jaysus, I know Mick Larkin....not Jim though, does he drink in the XXXX?
    Daniel O'Connell....is he some singer from Donegal?

You can just imagine it. When we have prize plonkers like these on our side of the border, its time to be very scared. Of course, they will always be around to complain about "police brutality". If the Gardai bring them home to their parents, it will be a case of.

"My little Marko/Dermo/Wayne would never do dat"

Looking at the footage of the Love Ulster parade on youtube, the Gardai were surprisingly restrained in their conduct. It should never have happened, but perhaps they were nervous of poor press after the Mayday parade a year before.

God help the Gardai if Lizzie Windsor comes over. God help Dublin City Council, and as for anyone who wants to enjoy the day in Dublin city centre, I hope they can, and that the authorities are prepared to deal with the skanger element. They can ruin it for us all, and ruin our reputation. They must not succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Honestly, i think all monarchies should be just ignored.... Why waste millions on security and organising, in preparation for a possible visit by her. And no i am not just biased against the British Queen, but all monarchies around the globe.

Why should someone by accident of birth, and deemed 'royal', deserve more than their country folk... At least here in Ireland, every national has a chance of being elected Head of State, if they so wanted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I have to admit I'll love to egg the aul biddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Wow, you were opressed by the British for 800 years, were you? Old as Yoda, you must be.

How many people in this thread have suffered at the hands of Britain?

Advertisement