Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMING laptop

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i clocked the 7900gs on my m1710, can play stalker on all high settings, not slowing down at all.
    before i over clocked it was painfully slow. its prob giving my 7900gx performance or thereabouts.

my temps are 70 and 60 degrees at the moment - cpu and gpu.

im not eve playing games but its on my bed for a numbe of hours,
    giving it a god early night now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Right. So now my circumstances have changed, and although I will still need a laptop. It wont be my only machine.

So, instead of getting a feckin 2k lappy. I'm gonna split it and spend 1k on upgrading my PC and the rest on a laptop.

I'll still want one that can game though (Just wont need it to play crysis on high etc) and so far, from what I can see for around 1 grand this one is looking like a DEAL

showimage.aspx?id=4090&width=500&height=500

:http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5920WSMi_Laptop_LX.AGS0X.015/version.asp

# Processor: Powerful Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2GHz (x2), 800MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache
    # RAM: 2GB Fast DDR2 RAM! (2 x 1024Mb)
    # 1GB Turbo Memory - for a faster boot time
    # Hard Drive: 160GB Hard Disk
    # Screen: 15.4" Widescreen TFT (1280x800 - 16:10) with CrystalBrite Technology
    # Optical Drive: DVD Re-writer (DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer)
    # Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 1GB of TurboCache memory - ideal for playing the latest games!
    # Wireless LAN: 802.11a/b/g/n - Wireless Internet Connection
    # Battery Life (Depending on Use): 3.5 hours 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    # Weight: 3kg
    # Warranty: 1 Year Collect and Return (Europe-wide)- Upgradeable to 3 Years for only £49 - Call for details!
    # Operating System: New Windows Vista Home Premium
    # 1GB of Intel Turbo Memory
    # Built-in 0.3Mp CrystalEye Camera
    # Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000
    # HDMI port with HDCP
    # 5-in-1 card reader

Anyone know what the craic is with this 8600GT 256mb??

In my current desktop I have a 6800GS.

Also, any reason why I shouldnt get this? I heard ppl say they wont go near Acer?

Anyone know of a better gaming laptop for around 1k?

Cheers in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a great card. Right now Dell have fantastic deals on the Vostros - you can get the 8600MGT, 160Gb HD, 2Gb Ram for about 800...so will perform more or less the same in games for a few hundred less.

O rly??? /me looks up Dell :eek:

Yup, Vostros 1500. 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2Gb ram, 8600MGT, 1 year basic warranty. 659 ex. Vat or 797 in total....a truly unbeatable price for that sort of mobile hardware.

PS - 8600MGT is better then the 6800GS.

• Advertisement

Having trouble finding such a dell :confused:

**edit** woops I see it now. Very interesting!!!

It's in Dell Business....but it's easy for anyone to buy them. Just put down HSE, or AIB, whatever.

Yeah nice one m8 this is looking to be a winner! :cool:

btw how much better is the 8600 then my 6800? A good bit better? or just a tad?

Not exactly sure to be honest. The 8600MGT is supposed to be similar to a desktop 7600GT, which is definitely a nice improvement over a 6800GS so I'd say you'd notice a marked difference. Plus, remember, this is a laptop after all, it's incredible to get this kind of performance from a laptop that costs 797 euro....

It's a fantastic deal....makes me wish I could afford one and get rid of my laptop with it's crappy 7400....ah, well...:(

Yeah indeed, it is a fantastic deal!

Which leads me to my next question:

Is there any downside/catch I should know about from buying a....

<_<

>_>

"business" laptop?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

business laptop?

well.. they come in any colour you want, as long as you want black. :)

and they come with vista business or vista ultimate (premium? whatever is the highest spec crap os these days).

another upside might be that hopefully they don't install tons of bloatware on the business spec machine. in any case the whole dell install is going to get nuked as soon as the laptop arrives here with a nice clean windows xp setup.

i got myself a nice vostro 17" for just over 900 euro.. with 8600gt, t7300, 2gb ram etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Also for the business laptops, they send out coupons

if you're spending over €800 excluding VAT and you ring them up to order, the promo code for August '07 (till 29/8/07) is FIRSTBUY-0203 for 70 quid off, before VAT.

They'll ask you if you've a VAT number. If you don't, there's no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

where'd you get the coupon??

Also i just ring them up get the Vostro 1500 up over €800 excluding VAT then tell them I have a coupon give them the one above and bobs your uncle.............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

i didnt know about any coupons, the 70 euro discount is applied automatically if your order qualifies. i have it on mine. and free shipping too.

unless we're talking about another 70 euro off :)

netman wrote:

and they come with vista business or vista ultimate

in any case the whole dell install is going to get nuked as soon as the laptop arrives here with a nice clean windows xp setup.

i got myself a nice vostro 17" for just over 900 euro.. with 8600gt, t7300, 2gb ram etc.

Does anyone know if the Vista we get comes on a disc aswell? I'll want to run XP on mine, but I'd like to have the Vista handy incase I do wanna have vista someday. Or even a duel boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Dell send out business versions of the junk placed in the Sunday papers. There's a slip of paper with them which gives a "code" as mentioned.
    You need to order by phone. And it's on top of any existing offers advertised.

Last laptops I ordered had the reinstall CD. Can't remember whether it cost a fiver extra.

Advertisement