Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras at Gigs

Options
  • 18-06-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Now that the "digital age" has made cameras even more accesible to everyone and their dogs these days, is anyone else beginning to find them really bloody annoying in certain environments?
    I've been at two gis in recent weeks, one in Dublin, one in Glasgow, both bands who i had really been looking forward to seeing and hearing live on stage.
    Both gigs fairly small and intimate, the Village in Dublin, The Arches in Glasgow.
    Both gigs involving people who i really wanted to Watch as well as hear.

Unfortunately everytime something interesting happened on stage, or one of the artists played a well known song or tune i was blinded by an array of LCD screens pointing at me, and then a mass flashing session (ooh-er!) would occur before more people would hold there little cameras up at full arms length attempting to capture some video of said band.

I'm all for people taking photos etc obviously, but when i pay my hard earned money to go and see a band who i really like, i dont want the view spoiled by someone elses camera gigs are hard enough environments at times without added problems.
    You wouldnt get away with it in the theatre, or the cinema, christ even some clubs dont like it! So why is it suddenly acceptable at gigs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yeah, it's kinda sad. People seem to be more intent on taking pictures and video that they can show their mates afterwards, than watching and listening to the music. I wouldn't mind only most of the pictures from them phones must be sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

people should get 'removed' for using flash at gigs, its not fair on the paying audience and EXTREMELY unfair and annoying for the performer. Its just not on.
    I have no problem with non-flash photography but agree with the limit to the songs you can shoot for. I always stick to the first few, and no-flash even if the venue is relaxed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

440Hz wrote:
    people should get 'removed' for using flash at gigs, its not fair on the paying audience and EXTREMELY unfair and annoying for the performer. Its just not on.
    I have no problem with non-flash photography but agree with the limit to the songs you can shoot for. I always stick to the first few, and no-flash even if the venue is relaxed about it.

its not just the flash though to be honest with you, being surrounded by LCD screens can be quite off putting and distracting.

As i said i dont mind people taking the odd snap here and there, but this is constant, do we really need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Flash at a gig is inexcusable, even from annoying people with kodak 3.2mp compacts. While I love capturing an experience with my lens, sometimes you'd rather just bloody well enjoyit and actually live in the moment, instead of staring at a 2 inch LCD screen when the real thing is happening 6 feet in front of you...

They should be smote down, or at the very least, have their cameras taken off them. But I thought it was common for them to be taken away at the door, or is that down to the venue rather than the performer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Eirebear wrote:
    I'm all for people taking photos etc obviously, but when i pay my hard earned money to go and see a band who i really like, i dont want the view spoiled by someone elses camera gigs are hard enough environments at times without added problems.
    You wouldnt get away with it in the theatre, or the cinema, christ even some clubs dont like it! So why is it suddenly acceptable at gigs?
    It actually isn't.
    If you read the small print (Ireland anyway) on your ticket or whatever, you'll see that photography is in the same category as recording and bootlegging etc...it's not allowed.
    I've been to many gigs and seen people being told to put their camera away and if it was a disposable then it was just confiscated.

I never had a problem with the flashes, but it is annoying when you're near the front and some fifty million plebs are trying to reach over, around and through you with their phones, not their cameras, but their phones, to try and get a crappy photo of whatever act. In one such instance, a guy got kicked out for it. (not for taking pictures but for ruining everyone elses night)

• Advertisement

Camera are so small these days its almost impossible to stop people bringing compacts into gigs and shooting away. In an ideal world we shouldnt be surrounded by flashes and screens at a gig. While there are rules in place in most venues for pro-photogs or press-photogs there are rarely rules for general digi-cam users, except for no flash, which they ignore anyway. Its crap but its never going to change I think... probably only get worse :(

I think phones are the worst, and thats almost impossible to regulate. I was at an intimate gig recently where the performer was getting seriously pissed off because he was trying to play these moving songs and some drunken twat at the front held a camera phone set to video RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS FACE for about 10 minutes. Literally, an arm's length away. It was a disgrace. Some other audience memebers complained to the bouncers in the venue and they did nothing. It really is down to the venue to enforce it. Like someone else said, on the ticket you are told cameras are not allowed, but that never stops anyone.

It actually isn't.
    If you read the small print (Ireland anyway) on your ticket or whatever, you'll see that photography is in the same category as recording and bootlegging etc...it's not allowed.
    I've been to many gigs and seen people being told to put their camera away and if it was a disposable then it was just confiscated.

I never had a problem with the flashes, but it is annoying when you're near the front and some fifty million plebs are trying to reach over, around and through you with their phones, not their cameras, but their phones, to try and get a crappy photo of whatever act. In one such instance, a guy got kicked out for it. (not for taking pictures but for ruining everyone elses night)

I know what it says in the ticket, and i certainly havnt seen anyone have there camera taken away from them/ or even asked to put it away recently.
    yeah sure many of them are phones, but there were a hell of a lot of compact cameras as well.

440Hz wrote:
    Camera are so small these days its almost impossible to stop people bringing compacts into gigs and shooting away. In an ideal world we shouldnt be surrounded by flashes and screens at a gig. While there are rules in place in most venues for pro-photog or press-photos there are rarely rules for general digi-cam users, except for no flash, which they ignore anyway. Its crap but its never going to change I think... probably only get worse :(I think phones are the worst, and thats almost impossible to regulate. I was at an intimate gig recently where the performer was getting seriously pissed off because he was trying to play these moving songs and some drunken twat at the front held a camera phone set to video RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS FACE for about 10 minutes. Literally, an arm's length away. It was a disgrace. Some other audience memebers complained to the bouncers in the venue and they did nothing. It really is down to the venue to enforce it. Like someone else said, on the ticket you are told cameras are not allowed, but that never stops anyone.
    I know that feeling, i was filming a wedding last week, before hand the priest managed to put so many restrictions on me i was really struggling to get any sort of shot on the couple at all.
    When they go to take the vows an uncle of the bride literally goes and stands right behind them, and right in front of me with the old bugger of a priest not batting an eyelid....livid i was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have been to plenty of gigs over the years where I didnt take any pictures and wish I had.

Occassional flash doesnt bother me - it adds to the atmosphere imo - (obviously there is a practical limit).

A sea of mobile phones would be annoying but thats not the same as people taking actual photographs with a camera.

SLR's (most) dont have a live preview on lcd only a playback which means that they wouldnt be held up in the air for that.

Morlar wrote:
    I have been to plenty of gigs over the years where I didnt take any pictures and wish I had.

Occassional flash doesnt bother me - it adds to the atmosphere imo - (obviously there is a practical limit).

A sea of mobile phones would be annoying but thats not the same as people taking actual photographs with a camera.

SLR's (most) dont have a live preview on lcd only a playback which means that they wouldnt be held up in the air for that.

So in a perfect world everyone would be watching the gig through their SLR's? nah doesnt work for me either!
    Most people have some sort of digital compact now, and thats what theyre taking to gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

So slr's are not the problem - its the 99% of the population who have mobiles and compacts. Its not practical but I would prefer to have those (mobile phones and compacts) banned and allow in slr's as they are much less obtrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I was at a Tool show in Paris last year and they took my camera off me at the door, put a sticker on my ticket stub and told me to collect it at the end. Didn't bother me, my little camera wasn't going to capture anything but the backs of people's heads and a blur in the distance. It was a good system, press cameras were allowed and the audience didn't turn into a sea of human tripods.

Morlar wrote:
    So slr's are not the problem - its the 99% of the population who have mobiles and compacts. Its not practical but I would prefer to have those (mobile phones and compacts) banned and allow in slr's as they are much less obtrusive.
    In a way i agree with you, not only because of the lcd issue, but in general people with SLRs know a little bit more about what theyre doing and are a little more respectful (in general anyway!)
    The problem with this for me is that the SLR also commands a little more respect, and i would find myself being a lot more cautious about my movements and actuions if someones standing infront of me with one, i reckon that could get annoying too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

The whole barrage of p&s's and camera phones is just a product of our time. I haven't really shot at any gigs for about a year now, but never really found it too much trouble to be honest. But then the type of gigs I shoot are historically electronic producers and/or techno DJ's and club nights. There were never really too many people who were too interested in taking along their p&s to a drink (and whatever else) fuelled dancing night.
    The most annoying trouble I've had was from bouncers assuming I'm there taking photos without permission and constantly hassling me. But thats only ever happened once, at a night run by a certain promotional company who's name we shall not speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I think it depends. I go to a hell of a lot of gigs and I usually have my camera with me. I've tried to limit myself to a few songs in the set recently, but TBH thats more for me than for them - you miss the whole bloody thing if you're behind the lens the whole time.

I can see how annoying it would be to be at a large gig and be behind a sea of phone cameras being held aloft, but most smaller bands really appreciate photos being taken at gigs, especially if you post them up (good publicity) and especially especially if you share them with them later. I know a few people though who get really uncomfortable when you point a camera at them. Seems a bit strange in that they're sticking themselves on stage in front of maybe a few hundred people but there you go :)

I think its a judgement call. I'd personally hate to see cameras banned. What with Myspace and message boards and suchlike its become as much part of the scene as anything else. I do agree there's a limit though. Usually the gigs I'm at it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe I just have good taste ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I love takin photos and dont see why I shouldnt be aloud.

If im at a bigger venue [the point/rds] noone notices cos theres already so much light

At smaller gigs I keep it to a minimum, also, im usually up the front, or zoom in from the back, and again, noone seems to mind

if someones bothered, ill stop

but a ban is a loada bollix imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

mneh. i think you should stop complaining, and few lcds and the odd flash at a gig!!! in fairness, and the moshing, sweaty bodies, drinks beoing thrown about don't bother you? maybe a the smaller gig the cameras could get a bit annoying but i really wouldn't make a fuss over it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Eirebear wrote:
    I know that feeling, i was filming a wedding last week, before hand the priest managed to put so many restrictions on me i was really struggling to get any sort of shot on the couple at all.
    When they go to take the vows an uncle of the bride literally goes and stands right behind them, and right in front of me with the old bugger of a priest not batting an eyelid....livid i was!

I really know this, at showjumping events no professionals use flash but then johnny's parents come up and flash him going over a jump, makes me blood boil. :mad: I would agree about it being annoying at a gig, especially at arms length away from the performer.

440Hz wrote:
    Camera are so small these days its almost impossible to stop people bringing compacts into gigs and shooting away. In an ideal world we shouldnt be surrounded by flashes and screens at a gig. While there are rules in place in most venues for pro-photogs or press-photogs there are rarely rules for general digi-cam users, except for no flash, which they ignore anyway. Its crap but its never going to change I think... probably only get worse
    No you've mis-read what I said. Unless you're with the press or something, you are breaking the law if you take photo.s at a gig.

No I didnt misread you. I know what you meant, and yes I am aware of the legal issue. I was merely mentioning that venues dont enforce the law, and the VENUEs do not or at least rarely apply the rules to point and shoot users.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

No you've mis-read what I said. Unless you're with the press or something, you are breaking the law if you take photo.s at a gig.

law?? I wouldn't think so?

i think its put on tickets for the artists, some(not all, rather no photography at their gigs). but alot don't give a fiddle, or even like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Actually no, its only a legal issue if the bands explicitly state it is. Very few do.

440Hz wrote:
    No I didnt misread you. I know what you meant, and yes I am aware of the legal issue. I was merely mentioning that venues dont enforce the law, and the VENUEs do not or at least rarely apply the rules to point and shoot users.

AH right. I beg your pardon.
    Well I wouldn't expect the venue to do it but the security staff. I have see n it done a few times, they're generally not fussy about it because they probably think it's not a big deal.

law?? I wouldn't think so?

i think its put on tickets for the artists, some(not all, rather no photography at their gigs). but alot don't give a fiddle, or even like it
    It is actually illeagal full stop. I believe in the law's eyes it is akin to using a video recorder or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

This is the most annoying thing ever!

They say this rule is imposed so you cant zoom in close and take amazing photos of the artists and use them to print posters which you'll sell

Is this really why, or is there a deeper meaning?

Flash cant be the problem, as you can use a compact no prob and flash away.

I think ill get the TZ3 with its 10X optical zoom, in the size of a compact

or they have binoculars with 25x zoom and a built in digi camera on ebay, although they're low MP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

unreggd wrote:
    This is the most annoying thing ever!

They say this rule is imposed so you cant zoom in close and take amazing photos of the artists and use them to print posters which you'll sell

It is.

That would be the same thing as recording the gig and selling it.

The flash's are also mood destroying, and annoying for both the artist and other people watching the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hmm I was at a premiere of David Gilmour's new DVD the other day (Odeon cinema in london), and I took around 30 photos of him performing live I'd say (400D with Tamron 70-300mm), but completly unintrusive.. no flash, LCD display off.. camera perched on my knee peering between the two heads in front of me, cinema seating remember.. so not in anyone's way whatsoever.
    First time I'd had my SLR handy for a gig so it was just curiousity that made me take it out and start snapping.

I don't see any issue with this at all, as there were dozens of flashs from compacts going off constantly which probably aren't even going to come out properly plus the multitude of video phones stuck in the air. I got several flashes right in my face several times (gilmour was standing behind me at one point).. extremely annoying (and blinding).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Kali wrote:
    Hmm I was at a premiere of David Gilmour's new ...

Hippy

:D

Actually, I'd love to have been there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

hmm...

well, I take a lot of photos at gigs and to be honest I've never had a problem, in that I've never had security try to stop me and I've never had anyone in a crowd say they were annoyed with me taking photos. In fact quite the opposite, down at Electric Picnic the other weekend a lot of people were complimenting my shots during the gigs and one concertgoer asked me to e-mail them the photos from one of them *shrug*

Also i usually send photos along to the Irish bands (and any other smaller bands but they're mostly Irish) that I go to and they always seem very positive about it, one of them has one of my photos as their main myspace profile pic. (hey, I'm not a professional, it made me happy ;-))

I guess it goes without saying that I don't find people taking photos annoying myself... though I do find the people taking videos with their phones slightly annoying.. though not really tbh because it never seems to last longer than about 2 mins. I should probably mention that I don't use flash and unless you have an SLR I don't really see the point of using flash...

Also I'd tend not to take photos during the whole gig, particularly not the big songs... mainly because I've always gone to a gig to see the band, I'd never pay €30-€80 just to take photos!

Anyway... I suppose this is just a long way of saying... I disagree, I don't find the lcds on compacts and phones annoying. :-) I guess it depends on the gig though, I'd never wouldn't go taking photos if I thought I was annoying the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Last year I was going to a cathoic youth festival in the NIA in birmingham

yer wan at the door wanted to take my fujis56000 off me claiming it was an SLR.. she tried to twist the lens off I protested that its 'only 5 mega pixels' compared to other people with much bigger ones'

then she goes 'they could be photographers'
    my reply : photographers don't wear the robes of cictersian monks and GET ME THE DUTY MANAGER !

duty manager gets the event organiser, some nice old guy he goes 'its fine, why not ?'

In fairness what am I going to do sell 12x14"s of a famous priest..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

440Hz wrote:

Not to mention, if your 500metres back and your using flash they doesn't make any difference to the lighting of your photo :)

Advertisement