Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a night out!

Options
  • 18-06-2007 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Maybe it's just cos I'm getting old but does anyone else feel that it is getting more and more expensive to go out an have a few jars?

Out for my birthday last night - good gang of us - went for a meal all had starter, main and 3 drinks each. For 10 of us the bill was €450 so €45 a head

Not soo bad but by the time you add €10 each way for a taxi
    approx €5 a drink and you can't just have a couple ;)
    So your talking 5-8 drinks if you in a late bar
    5 drinks if you going on to a club
    €10-€15 to get into the club
    4 drinks when your in there at stupid prices approx €8
    Subway or such like when you get out of there €8

So last night cost me:
    €45 for the meal
    €55 for drinks - went a bit mad on the ole micky finns - it was my birthday :D
    €10 for the club
    €32 more drinks
    €20 for the taxi

so the total was €155

Now this is in the midlands so it would be cheaper than Dublin obviously but still thought this was a bit much.

This was also doubled apart from the taxi as my husband was with me so the night in total cost €290 :eek:

What does everyone else think - or am I just getting old :D

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you pay it, they will charge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

a good night is the price of a tin of paint, expand your horizons

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

€55 for drinks
    €32 more drinks

87 euros for drinks alone? Either stop drinking Christal or stop buying everybody's drinks.

biko wrote:
    €55 for drinks
    €32 more drinks

87 euros for drinks alone? Either stop drinking Christal or stop buying everybody's drinks.

a pint is a fiver now, he could be a big fella and drink 15 pints

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm gonna guess it's a chick, seeing as she mentions her husband...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I think the auld "wahey, it's my birthday" splurge took place. it all depends on where you go, some places are out to get people in and that is it, while others are fair and dont attempt to rob you. As you mentioned that you have a husband i'm guessing that you wouldnt frequent student dives that i often find myself in, you're probably likely to be in a classy joint, but 87 on drink is ridiculous, most towns have nice places that dont rip you off too much,

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

biko wrote:
    €55 for drinks
    €32 more drinks

Thats what I thought myself, wouldnt spend over 30 or so on drink myself on a night out, gotta love the black stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You shouldnt be spending that much on your bday. Twas mine last week and I didn't spend a cent. milk it for all it's worth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

yeah I was talkin in general about the prices of a night out and did anyone think it was getting more expensive.

Wasn't asking for anyones opinion on how much or what I was drinking :mad:

Thanks for actually reading my post and getting the meaning of it Jizz :D

I put seven euro in a ciggy machine and it gave no change, surely thats theft of some sort, thievin bastids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

lash down a six-pack in the gaf before you go out
    hit the town
    flirt with whatever men in sight
    half will stupidly buy you more drink
    80% savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

€8 for a drink?

Stop buying triple vodkas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

You're mad. You spent almost €100 on drink alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Wow, that's crazy. Glad I don't live in Ireland :eek:

I would really struggle to spend €50 on a night out here and that would include a nice meal, drinking until 5 or 6 in the morning, kebab afterwards and transport and I would be legless after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Ireland is a rip-off but as long as the pubs and restaurants are able to find enough customers willing to pay, it will stay that way. We get the prices we deserve. If enough people were willing to protest with their feet, prices would come crashing down.

I just got back from a week in Berlin. You could get a pint and a slap-up meal for €10 a head. You could get a very good meal and wine for €15-€25 a head. A beer was between €2 and €3, depending on where you went. I didn't see this as good value. It's normal. It's what it should be here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

I'm with my ginger friend here and if your out for a good oul knees up then you end iup having a fair few drinks.

Anyway, 155 for a night out starting with with dinner, loads a drinks and 3am grub isnt bad at all missus. I usually set out for such nights with 200 and come home with nowt more than a bit of coinage for the jar... fuppin birthdays... :rolleyes: ;)

It is a rip by the way though... I was in Aus and it was so cheap to go out for dinner and a few drinks. It makes such a big difference to your life when you can go out for dinner or whatever without it breaking the bank.

And for anyone who says "well bigger fool you for paying it" or some such, what do you suggest? Refuse to go out for friends bdays cos "it costs too much"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I live in Dublin and if I went out for dinner (a decent one) and a good few drinks then that's not a huge amount ! Sad I know, which is why the last few times I went out with the SO it has been while we've been down the country ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭BangBeater

Nights out are ridiculously expensive. I'm going doing an eddie hobbs & start being the DD for a bit.... save up some money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

I spend 80 - 100 euro on a night out on drink and bus fare (nite link) in Dublin. Most clubs etc... your talking a fiver for short and mixer easily. I don't go out everyweek so maybe I just make up for it every other week.

But I wouldn't raise my eyebrows too much at the cost of the OPs night out... maybe I'm just too used to Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well in fairness the E45 for the meal and E10 for club and E10 for taxi are to be expected. If your looking at a decent meal and a Saturday night.
    It's obviously the price of drink. Maybe you spent to much on drink, maybe they ripped you off, maybe you went a little crazy cos it's your birthday. What I would be concerned was if you were spending E100 on regular basis on nights out (without meal), then that would be a lot.

I've explained on boards before how to have a night out on E25, but that involves Buckie, middling nightclubs and Supermacs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh but you live in the country as we all know there's no such thing as supermac's in dublin ;)

So does OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

biko wrote:
    So does OP.
    Ahh didn't spot that, I'll hide now.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

yeah well i live in the country as well and i always spend in or around €100 on an average night on drink alone and i go out every weekend, tend to go a bit mad on the shots and vodka red bulls. was in dublin at the weekend and had a pleasant surprise in the morning when i found out i only spent €120. its to be expected the way things are in this country these days, obviously if you just stay on pints it will be cheap enough, alot cheaper than my average nights, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Migser

I think the more you have the more you spend, last week i went out for a meal and drinks and spent about €130, i don't think i could go out dancing and spend any less than €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

€130...included Tommy Tiernan, copious amounts of alcohol, numerous taxi's, night club, and god knows what else!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I live in London and when I go out I expect to pay roughly £120 (can be more or less depending on how heavily I drink and the majority of that is on the drink (double vodka and coke). Sux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

hm, just a few things - went out for my birthday while on holidays in France - 5 of us, a couple of bottles of wine, and A LOT OF decent food - and it cost us roughly 130 Euros, for everything.

Went home (Germany) for a weekend in May, went out with the family to a nice restaurant - 7 of us, starters, main course, a couple of desserts, and a lot of booze - the total was 220 Euros.

For mother's day (my future Irish mammy in law ;-)), we went out with the bf's family (6 of us) to a nice restaurant in Galway and paid close to 450 Euros, for main courses, dessert, and ONE bottle of wine.

makes one wonder...

If I have 50 on me when I go out I know I won't be able to spend it all, and I like my drink too.

Pint - 3.70 so I can buy 10+ pints. Don't have to pay for taxi as I live minutes from the pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Cremo wrote:
    yeh but you live in the country as we all know there's no such thing as supermac's in dublin ;)

You have obviously never been on O'Connell Street ;)

Advertisement