Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] Sailing Experts!

Options
  • 10-06-2007 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

My son has just got very interested in sailing in the last few weeks, and therefore requires a boat - aka Opi/Optimist
    These normally retail new at EUR3-4K each, or second hand for EUR1/1.5k.
    At the moment, there is a big demand for 2nd hand ones, hence they are very difficult to get.
    I have no experience in this field, hence my lack of knowledge!
    Now here's my question.
    Lidl have one on sail:
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070611.p.JuniorSailingDinghy
    Looks good, great price. But to race an Opi boat, you need to be able to register it, and I'm not sure if you can with this one.
    Also, when you go to sell it on, you need to have relevant certification, or most buyers will not be interested.
    I am a complete novice in relation to this, and I spoke to a few other fathers in the sailing club, but all were equally unsure of what the story was with this boat. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

I do not think the boat that Lidl are selling is an Optimist. Lidl do not mention the word "Optimist" or "Optimist type" in their add. You cannot even see the boats in real life before you buy. It may be ok, but usually you get what you pay for. It would be interesting to see how long they last. At least with the Lidl brand sailing gloves, while they are the same price as some brand name sailing gloves in sailing shops, you can look at them and feel them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargain Alerts, you might get a better response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The Lidl boat is not an Optimist. The Optimist is a one design class. If the Club you are in has a junior section that sail Optimists, this boat will not fit in. It would not be allowed to race in class events and your son would feel left out. I believe a Topper is more a real boat and a lot of Clubs in Ireland race them and use them for junior training. The Optimist and Mirror were the traditional boats for junior training, but the Topper is taking over in a lot of Clubs, and has a good racing circuit in Ireland It is also recognised by the Irish sailing Association as a junior trainer.

If you want a boat for the kids so sail on holidays, then the Lidl boat is probably OK. If you want to get your kids into sailing, then you should go for a recognised class.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

try www.BuyandSell.ie or some of the club websites like www.hyc.ie There are always a few opi's knocking about.

Best of luck with it, its a great sport for the young ones.

Cionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

JamesM wrote:
    If you want to get your kids into sailing, then you should go for a recognised class.
    Jim.

I have to agree with that. Also the lidl boat add does not mention the word " buoyancy". It just mentions "Double walled hull", "lightweight" , etc
    Safety is very important, especially with kids / juniors. The person in the boat seems out of proportion to the quoted measurements of the boat, and I personally would be very sceptical of the likely quality of the product, and of paying money for something like this before even seeing one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Conor, Fingal

To be honest, I would go for the Lidl boat. Your kid wants to start sailing, and is not aspiring to be club champion just yet. He will not feel left out, and it would want to be a pretty stupid club that would turn away a kid because they don't have a piece of paper for the boat. Join a friendlier club if that is the case. You can sell the boat at the end of the summer or in the Spring for pretty much what you bought it for and upgrade to one with a cert if the kid wants to race.

I have absolutly no doubt that the lidl boat is safe and bouyant and sails well. (there would be foam between the walls of the hull I'd say)

I am also selling a wooden optimist or two if you want to PM me!

EDIT: the only qualms I have with the Lidl boat is that there is no trolly or lifejacket sold with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Rashers

Dont be lidled .. choose for your sons inclusion

Everything about your mail indicates your son wants to sail/race with others rather than sail solo

Sailing for kids in clubs at this age is a group activity in one-design boats i.e. Opis/Toppers/Lasers etc to make instructing easier. Inevitably kids will want to race hence important to select a design in use as clubs wont conduct handicap racing for kids dinghies as they might for yachts.

Another factor is there is lots of knowledge about on opis also spares (gear, sails, trailers etc)

Prciey upfront but as you say yourself plenty of demand when u go to sell in a couple of years

Design him in not out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I have to agree with Spinnaker. If you are in a Club that sails Opis, your son will be laughed out of it if he turns up with a Lidl boat - that's just the way it is :(
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

There are a few Opis on www.apolloduck.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement