Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock Option Help !!!!!!

Options
  • 05-06-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Please help as I'm going mad. Nobody seems to know !!
    Here's my question:
    Are Stock Options liable for A) 20% CGT or B) 42% :confused:
    These are company stock options AND NOT SHARES

Any help would be great - thansk in advance !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

From what I remember they are liable for 42% upon vesting on,,, the market price minus the option price (assuming there is an increase on the option vs. market price on the day of vesting)... if you hold on to the stock and they increase beyond the market price on vesting day then they are subject to 20% CGT over €1270...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Dan

I thought 20% CGT (on the gain) but I'm afriad that Options are different to shares and I don't know the difference exactly. RTSO is 42% but I don't want to pay that if I only need pay 20% CGT

The Dan wrote:
    I thought 20% CGT (on the gain) but I'm afriad that Options are different to shares and I don't know the difference exactly. RTSO is 42% but I don't want to pay that if I only need pay 20% CGT

Yup - that's the booger... RTSO... Once they vest you're liable to the 42% and you're only liable to the CGT if your hold and sell at a profit later on...

Hmmm, but I didn't buy these - they're options - I'm just exercising them

The Dan wrote:
    They were given by the company - sorry, I'd confuse a saint !

• Advertisement

The Dan wrote:

Yup - no difference - you're liable for the tax on them... Not 100% sure but I think if they were gifted pre-2003 then you are only liable for the 42% if/when you exercise them - otherwise you're liable upon vesting...

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Yup - no difference - you're liable for the tax on them... Not 100% sure but I think if they were gifted pre-2003 then you are only liable for the 42% if/when you exercise them - otherwise you're liable upon vesting...
    Blast ! That's practically half ! Takes the good out of having them in the first place :-(

Oh well, thanks a mill. for the advice. I need a cigarette now !

The Dan wrote:
    Blast ! That's practically half ! Takes the good out of having them in the first place :-(

Oh well, thanks a mill. for the advice. I need a cigarette now !

Meh! Tell me about it... have a look here - seems it only refers to exercising but if I recall correctly then there are similar rule applicable to vesting as of late...

But I'm sure someone more qualified than a lowly engineer like myself will correct me... ;) either way I'm sure you're going to get stung for the full 42% at some stage...

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Meh! Tell me about it... have a look here - seems it only refers to exercising but if I recall correctly then there are similar rule applicable to vesting as of late...

But I'm sure someone more qualified than a lowly engineer like myself will correct me... ;) either way I'm sure you're going to get stung for the full 42% at some stage...
    Cheers ! This is depressing stuff indeed - Clear as mud :-) Looks like I'm off to visit the finance dept. tomorrow.

Quick! Cancel the yacht... ;)

Still 58% of something is still 58% more than nothing...

• Advertisement
Advertisement