Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Tunnel - Under Used & Overpriced ?

Options
  • 04-06-2007 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I was in a hurry on Saturday evening and to get from Blackrock to Swords in a hurry , So I decided to cross the eastlink and take the port tunnel (5pm) to get to the M1 , This was my second time in a week to use the tunnel but both times it was empty all the way through. Apart from the high prices cars have to pay ( €12)for a tunnel we payed for through our taxes, is this fantastic piece of infrastructure a waste of money when all is used for is HGVs when ships dock who then get stuck on the M50 CARPARK!

Cars should be encourged to use the tunnel,at least they are off the roads and charges should be reduced to cover operating costs etc...

What do you think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The reason it's so high for cars is to DISCOURAGE them from using it because it's primarily for trucks and HGV's... It was built to divery trucks and HGV's from using the quays when they rolled off the ferries in Dublin Port and blocking up traffic in the city centre.

I don't think cars should be encouraged to use it. Not at all, especially if it's going to cause congestion in the tunnel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its a dual carriageway if cars were encouraged to use it how long do you think it would take to get blocked up...?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

I do understand the reason why it was built but it should be used to its full potential ! and help move cars and all other vechicle of the roads as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Forget the cars, just let the Bikers use it for eh, safety reasons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you allow cars into for free or lower toll fee you are just moving traffic from one place to another.

• Advertisement

for example moving from the surface roads of drumcondra with its many schools to a underground road with no pedestrians etc.... can make living enviroment a lot better for these areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Beechman wrote:
    I do understand the reason why it was built but it should be used to its full potential ! and help move cars and all other vechicle of the roads as well.

So if it gets opened to cars, what happens to the trucks? Let them get stuck in the jams? Force them back to the quays?

The logic behind the tunnel is to allow commercial vehicles quick access to the ports and to assist businesses in quicker access to both the marketplace and supplies, especially the foreign markets. By ensuring this, it means our businesses are able to turn over produce quicker and work more efficiently, and it takes strain off the the roads around the port and it's hinterland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Reduce the toll for cars with 4 people.

why did we the taxpayers spend €800 million on a road that is not fully used.Yes it is vital for HGVs especially in the morning when a lot of ships dock but what about the rest of the time. I take the example of my trip through it on Saturday afternoon and a previous one at rush hour on a Thursday evening at 6pm.Both times I had the tunnel to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Hi,
    I do some contracting work for the guys in Transroute (the tunnel operators). Yes, the taxpayer paid for the tunnel, but for a specific purpose: to take HGVs out of the city. You will always feel like you are alone in the tunnel because the timing on the toll barriers is regulated automatically to ensure that there is only a safe volume of traffic in the tunnel at any time to allow adequate ventilation etc.
    Apparently, there is rumour in National Roads Authority land that the toll charges will be adjusted to get some more cars to use the tunnel but not to the detriment of the HGVs, its primary target market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Would it be crazy to suggest splutting the lanes so one is for HGVs and one is for cars? Let as many cars as possible use their lane (within the constraints of the HVAC) but they won't affect the HGV lane at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

markpb wrote:
    Would it be crazy to suggest splutting the lanes so one is for HGVs and one is for cars? Let as many cars as possible use their lane (within the constraints of the HVAC) but they won't affect the HGV lane at all.

Thats a good idea actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The reason it's so high for cars is to DISCOURAGE them from using it because it's primarily for trucks and HGV's... It was built to divery trucks and HGV's from using the quays when they rolled off the ferries in Dublin Port and blocking up traffic in the city centre.

I don't think cars should be encouraged to use it. Not at all, especially if it's going to cause congestion in the tunnel.

I don't think the OP was suggesting reducing the toll to say €1.50 at all times and fill the tunnel up with cars...

I think what he was saying €12 is crazy, especially when the piece of infrastructure is idle 95% of the time... I have to say i agree with the OP, it is completely under-utilized...

I think it's great that it is taking trucks out of the likes of drumondra and the city in general, but it could also be used more at off peak times to take some more cars off the roads...

Its all about setting the right "price point" for the toll where people will make use of this resource on an occasional basis. I would say the peak toll for cars should be €6 and the off peak toll should be €2.50

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

How can anyone say it is underutilized?

It is being utilized exactly as it was intended for.

Was anybody under any illusions when it was being built? We knew it was for trucks, we know now it is for trucks, and in the future we will know it was built for trucks.

I think it is being underutilized as a railway tunnel myself. (not serious).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

In theory, the lanes are currently split into HGVs and cars because HGVs are only allowed to use the left lane. The strategy that the NRA have used is not a bad one i.e. severely restrict the car traffic fo the initial period, then change the toll gradually until a "happy medium" is reached. If a free-for-all was allowed in which cars could queue up to use the right hand lane, you can be sure that the road leading to the toll would become clogged and restrict access for HGVs.
    For once, I'm in agreement with the NRA!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I don't think the OP was suggesting reducing the toll to say €1.50 at all times and fill the tunnel up with cars...

I think what he was saying €12 is crazy, especially when the piece of infrastructure is idle 95% of the time... I have to say i agree with the OP, it is completely under-utilized...

I think it's great that it is taking trucks out of the likes of drumondra and the city in general, but it could also be used more at off peak times to take some more cars off the roads...

Its all about setting the right "price point" for the toll where people will make use of this resource on an occasional basis. I would say the peak toll for cars should be €6 and the off peak toll should be €2.50
    I was going to reply but this is what I would have said. It's a massive piece of infrastructure being under-utilised. Do people think there are ships docking every 5 minutes? There are spurts. During the night and at weekends the tunnel should be free going northbound. If congestion should occur (unlikely as it opens to a motorway) then charges can be applied to discourage use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it should be free at night - why have cars going through residential areas at 10pm when there is a totally empty tunnel available.

at other times the price should be pitched at a level where the tunnel gets used but not congested - this would also ease congestion on surface roads. Having it lying empty is a total waste and shows that they have got the pricing wrong.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well if the PD's plan of moving Dublin Port out of Dublin (to up by Balbriggan) happens, then I imagine that the port tunnel will eventually be opened up to general traffic.

I certainly think that at the moment it should be used more by buses and the idea of cars carrying 4 or more passengers using it for free is a great idea.

Anyway don't most of the trucks arrive into the port at around 5:30 AM?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I actually think cars should be more expensive than they currently are.

Vehicles which ease congestion like public transport buses, motorcycles, and scooters should all be free to encourage them to use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

spockety wrote:
    I actually think cars should be more expensive than they currently are.

Vehicles which ease congestion like public transport buses, motorcycles, and scooters should all be free to encourage them to use it.

I agree with you there. However I also think there should be some kind of reward for people that actually fill their cars. i.e. let a car with 4 people in it use the tunnel for free or for a Euro. For anywhere there are manual tolls this should be an option and easy to implement. It could encourage car pooling and give people an incentive to leave a car at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

I agree with you there. However I also think there should be some kind of reward for people that actually fill their cars. i.e. let a car with 4 people in it use the tunnel for free or for a Euro. For anywhere there are manual tolls this should be an option and easy to implement. It could encourage car pooling and give people an incentive to leave a car at home.

The problem with car pooling in the tunnel is that it would encourage people to bring cars (albeit 1 among 4) into the city centre. If there was a Park & Ride at the south end of the tunnel with buses from there to the city centre, it might have some merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

markpb wrote:
    They do this already. The sign at the port entrance says HGVs left and Cars right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Suggestion:-

The ferry companies should be given the right to sell tolls to their customers at a cut down price.

So you book your ferry , and you pay an extra 10 euro to use the tunnel to get to/leave the port ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

However I also think there should be some kind of reward for people that actually fill their cars. i.e. let a car with 4 people in it use the tunnel for free or for a Euro.

There is a incentive of roughly this kind in place. At peak hours, passengers travelling four to a car pay only €3 each.

mackerski wrote:
    There is a incentive of roughly this kind in place. At peak hours, passengers travelling four to a car pay only €3 each.

I don't think this is in place, I went through tunnel last week at a peak time with two adults and two kids and was charged €12 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

The price I quoted only applies for cars of four adults. For your case it should have been €6 per adult with the children going free. You could consider complaining ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

Beechman wrote:
    mackerski wrote:

I don't think this is in place, I went through tunnel last week at a peak time with two adults and two kids and was charged €12 !

I think mackerski is being smart. He is saying if theres four people in the car, the passengers could split the cost and pay €3 each (€12/4). I guess its a worthwhile point. With kids, you arn't really getting this advantage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Or use route 142 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I agree with mackerski and have made the point myself.
    People who car pool are people who would normally use buses, so in an Irish context, voluntary carpooling causes traffic.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    Or use route 142 :D

Its interesting when you go into the link for ROUTE 142 , my point is proven by looking at the pictures and video . The €800 million tunnel is under used!

Advertisement