Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important are fantasy book covers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MJH

Actually I think that's quite accurate. The story does deal with some serious, complex issues. The reviews on Amazon (UK and US) give a reasonable idea of what to expect. The more feedback I get the more I realise that the cover does not really work and gives the wrong impression about the story. Also the book is not really suitable for anyone under around fourteen or so.

Hope you get to read it as I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I thought I would let everyone know that my old AOL page with excerpts from The Magic Lands is closing. I have now created a new site that has the first two chapters from my book available to read. You can find it here: http://www.freewebs.com/markhockley/
    Please do check it out if you get a chance. Comments are always welcome!

For anyone who might be interested I've posted the first two chapters of what will hopefully be my next book at http://www.freewebs.com/markhockley/
    It's a work in progress, but it would be great if you got a chance to take a look and let me know what you think. It's called The Shadow of the Rose.

Hope you don't mind me sharing this new review from Amazon :)

'This book is the story of two fourteen year old boys who find themselves transported into a realm of magic and nightmare.
    Reminiscent of the Chronicles of Narnia, the story quickly turns into a dark tale of nightmare, lust and cruelty as the two boys find themselves locked in a contest against the ultimate evil, with the stakes being not only their lives, but their souls as well.
    Joining Tom Lewis and Jack Barton as they journey through the contantly changing dreamscape of The Magic Lands is like sitting down with Alice In Wonderland and Rob Zombie to drop some acid.
    Loaded with iconic imagery, The Magic Lands is a tour de force into a surreal realm dominated by evil and insidious temptation.'

Just to let anyone who may be interested in checking out my work that I’ve changed my website address. The new address is now http://markhockley.webs.com/

Hope you get a chance to take a look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I remember reading recently that George R. R. Martin largely credits the Robert Jordan quote he had for the cover of a Game of Thrones with helping the series get established. A quote from an author who's work I'd previously admired on the cover blurb would definitely influence me towards picking up the book.

Found the link: http://grrm.livejournal.com/21250.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yep, this has made me look up books before, a good quote helps out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Interesting to consider what makes me buy an sff book I'd never heard of. I guess it'd be in this order:

recommendation from someone I trust
    recommendation from someone I don't know
    cover quote from an author I like
    synopsis

However, if the cover art must be good enough to get me to pick it up so that I can read the synopsis. Cover art doesn't matter if I know the author, but needs to be good enough not to put me off the book if I don't know them.

Interesting topic, I hope to publish some techie/business books sometime so worth thinking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think an artistic cover makes a big difference in what unknown book I'd pick off a shelf. I hate the way new prints of books are replacing the old artwork with shíte covers, you know the kind usually plain with a picture in the middle. Robin Hobb's for example.

Old

quest.jpg

New

51rAlX%2B2KzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

God I hate it!

Advertisement