Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shandy Thread.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Usualy pour a 1:4 ratio.
    More than that is waste in my opinion.

Although, it is crazy how many people on this side of the world do not drink pints. We go through more glasses of spirts and wine than kegs. Completly different to back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

Bambi wrote:
    I once saw a lad order a shandy and a lager in a certain city centre pub that i used to regularly frequent. The barman asked him wryly if the shandy was for him or his boyfriend :D

Same barman who when i asked him for a coffee one fine afternoon replied "f**k off with yer coffee, you'll have a pint"

nice barman! :rolleyes:

I regularly drink shandies as I live in the country and I drive to the pub a lot. Just had one yesterday sitting in the evening sun in Glenmalure... lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Bambi wrote:
    I once saw a lad order a shandy and a lager in a certain city centre pub that i used to regularly frequent. The barman asked him wryly if the shandy was for him or his boyfriend :D

Same barman who when i asked him for a coffee one fine afternoon replied "f**k off with yer coffee, you'll have a pint"

Haha. Reminds me of this auld pub i went to before. No matter what anybody asked for you still got a pint of smithwicks. A real mans pub. No till in the place or anything. Now thats a proper pub. Owner was ancient. Brilliant

Dun laoire wrote:
    Haha. Reminds me of this auld pub i went to before. No matter what anybody asked for you still got a pint of smithwicks. A real mans pub. No till in the place or anything. Now thats a proper pub. Owner was ancient. Brilliant
    Not really.
    Working over here, I can see that Irish bars are missing out on so much. There is so much that could be stocked in bars, great shots and cocktails can be made.
    Most Irish bars are barren compared to most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

connundrum wrote:
    I've never been asked to give someone a Stella shandy, which in my mind is a testiment to the quality of the beer.

Do some places still have stella on tap????! I can't get it anywhere I go.

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote:
    Not really.
    Working over here, I can see that Irish bars are missing out on so much. There is so much that could be stocked in bars, great shots and cocktails can be made.
    Most Irish bars are barren compared to most.

Was funny though. I think i ordered a pint bottle of Bulmers and got handed the smithwicks. He didnt tell me he hadnt any Bulmers he just handed me smithwicks and that was that. I laughed my ass off and carried on drinking.

Why didn't you give it back to him. I know I would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Do some places still have stella on tap????! I can't get it anywhere I go.

From experience, every 3rd pub will have Stella on tap - this only relates to Dublin though. But have had it in Tullamore, Portarlington, Port Laois, Athlone, Waterford, Ballina etc.

Its out there alright.

Rabies wrote:
    Why didn't you give it back to him. I know I would have.

No point, he didnt have anything else plain and simple. I wasnt complaining i taught it was funny and so did my chums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I worked in a bar in Germany last summer, and shandies weren't that popular at all. What was quite popular were a variety of other mixes, which I found disgusting.

Beer and Banana Juice
    Beer and Cherry Juice
    Beer and Pineapple Juice
    Beer and Coke
    Kilkenny and Guinness (pronounced Jinness by the Germans)
    And some wine buff asked me for a half red wine hald white wine once. Haha. Krazy Krauts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Went out with a polish chick and herself and her friends would mix coke with red wine, rough going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

humbert wrote:
    Went out with a polish chick and herself and her friends would mix coke with red wine, rough going.

The winos in cork mix methylated spirits with red wine..they call it Red Biddy..must try it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dave wrote:
    And some wine buff asked me for a half red wine hald white wine once. Haha. Krazy Krauts!
    I can guarantee you that he was no wine buff if he asked for that.
    humbert wrote:
    Very popular drink in Europe, Spain in particular.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dun laoire wrote:
    No point, he didnt have anything else plain and simple. I wasnt complaining i taught it was funny and so did my chums

i've seen pubs with only guinness but never one with only smithwicks. where was this place???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

One pint glass.

Half Red Wine (14%) & Half Strongbow. The ratio may chage according to taste.

I call it Wiider©

Nintendo can sue me later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

BaZmO* wrote:
    I can guarantee you that he was no wine buff if he asked for that.

Eh do i really have to put in a rolleyes for sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Dave wrote:
    yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Shandy i usually take to mean 1/2 and 1/2 and a lager top just a littl in.

A guiness flick is lager with juts a tad of guinness in it isn't it?

ahhhh Red witch*: Pint of cider, double pernod and blackcurrant

*i held the record for a pint of red witch at uni. 8 seconds down, 4 back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The thread tags explained all I wanted to know here.

Dave wrote:
    No :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead usually does his After Hours Masturbation Thread on a Thursday.

I can't seem to find todays offering....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Dave wrote:
    I worked in a bar in Germany last summer, and shandies weren't that popular at all. What was quite popular were a variety of other mixes, which I found disgusting.

Beer and Banana Juice
    Beer and Cherry Juice
    Beer and Pineapple Juice
    Beer and Coke
    Kilkenny and Guinness (pronounced Jinness by the Germans)

Worked in a bar in china, and the Kilkenny and Guinness was a pretty common one, for the Americans, they called it a black and tan.

Beer and coke I saw once also, yuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

c - 13 wrote:
    A buddy of mine works in C&C ill see if I can get any official info off him about it.

An odd shandy I had is as follows -
    Pint of larger
    Drink half
    Add 1 x Bottle of smirnoff ice
    Drink all

Expensive and not all that nice.
    'Tis known as a Turbo Shandy, I believe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I too thought this thread was going to be about hand shandies :(

Worked in a bar back in the day, if I was asked for a shandy it'd be a third lemonade, the rest beer.
    scojones wrote:
    They are drinking it for the wrong reason then. I'm an out and out Guinness drinker, but I have tried it with Ribena and I have to say it was lovely. When you get near the end of the pint the head is totally purple. :)

Not sure if you're being serious or making a strange ploy for dudess. Don't like the blackcurrant in my Guinness at all, did get asked for it regularly mainly by people who wanted to drink Guinness but didn't like the taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

BaZmO* wrote:
    It was never 0.5%

I remember it being something like more like 0.00005%

Wrong.
    The Cantrell & Cochran Group previously marketed a shandy drink called "Club Shandy", which contained orange or lemon soda and 0.5% (1 proof) of alcohol, but this has not been available since the mid-1990s.

Lorax wrote:
    Wrong.
    Link?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

BaZmO* wrote:
    Link?

he's linking from wiki which makes it more than worthless without another link to confirm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy

Ponster wrote:
    he's linking from wiki
    I thought as much. Not saying that it's not right but I'd prefer a more reliable link than wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shandy drinking poofsters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Pighead wrote:
    One of the users on boards(kernel) added in a fair amount of lemonade into his pint of lager a couple of years back and obviously he got unmercifully slagged for doing so. However he took great exception to being called "Shandy Boy" as he claimed what he actually was drinking was called "A Lager Top".

Is he right? Should we start calling him "Lager Top Boy" instead? Does drinking watered down lager really make you less of a man?

Listen here, Sir Wanksalot, as well you know the only reason I had the 'lager top' was because we were in Donegal and had been drinking for about 16 hours solid the day before. Then, you and dave (who shared a room together may I tell the boardsies- and dave reported waking up in the morning and seeing Pighead shaking hands with himself in the bed - allegedly while looking at dave.....) knock on my door at about 9:30am for more drinking....

I then had 1 lager-top to take the edge off the hangover and proceeded to complete an epic all day session involving gallons of beer, 2 bottles of wine and some status-quo dancing. :cool:

Advertisement