Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting card

Options
  • 20-05-2007 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just wondering, with four days to the election, should I have received my voting card yet ? I would have thought so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You probably should have but you don't necessarily need it so long as you're on the register. Simply turn up at your polling station and have the appropriate ID, you'll be allowed to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

ok thanks. For anyone else reading this thread, you can check if you are on the register here: www.checktheregister.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes I would have expected you to have gotten the card, but as long as you are on the register as Avns1s says bring ID to the polling station and you can perform your civic duty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Haven't received it this time yet, didn't receive it at all last time, but just turned up at polling station, with my drivers license and voted - did get quizzed as to why I didn't have a polling card though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I got mine :) Very exciting, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I got two identical cards with same number & same mistake in the address for the polling location.

:eek:

Good to see those civil servants working hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

All my family got a card except me, even though I'm registered. My sister isn't registered and she got one. :confused:

/edit - just realised my sister was registered with her name spelt wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I got mine in the post yesterday and I was a late addition to the register in Fingal cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Someone I know received two with all the details exactly the same with the exception of the number.

Someone I know received two with all the details exactly the same with the exception of the number.

Unless the name is different won't be able to use both as name gets crossed off the list when you vote.

During the elections in the US we laugh at their ineptitude of disenfranchised voters but maybe we should be looking closer to home...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

McSpud wrote:
    Unless the name is different won't be able to use both as name gets crossed off the list when you vote.
    I'm aware of that. I just find it funny that our electoral register has so many duplicates and errors.

Another person I know who moved their vote within an electoral constituency now has two polling cards for two different polling locations within moderate walking distance of each other. Obviously they only intend to use one but...

Also, in the past (when I still lived at home) I have been added to an electoral register without my knowledge or consent. Neither I nor any of my family requested that I be registered.

In my constituency and others with third level colleges I'm sure there are plenty of students who were registered at home by 'mammy' resulting in multiple registrations. That said this is mitigated by the small number of students who bother registering at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm makes you wonder alright. If thats the case then there has to have been people who voted twice last time. Were there any convictions for voting fraud last time around.

/me goes to check Google :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

It would look like i'm on the register twice -once as my name and once as a misspelling thereof (or rather, different spelling of my first name)

No idea how the second one got on there - would never submit anything with my name on it like that.

Only copped it when sinn fein sent me two things as opposed to one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Haven't received a card yet either (D15 area). Don't think anyone else in the house has either

&#231 wrote: »
    Only copped it when sinn fein sent me two things as opposed to one :P

Something tells me they might know how you get two votes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 M.E. Doyle

I would like to know why the hell is Deerpark residents in Kiltipper have to vote over in Killinarden, Its not our constituancy, Its a total different area, and i refuse to vote if that is where i have to go, Can i change my voting location?????

You REFUSE to vote? lol. Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

M.E. Doyle wrote: »
    I would like to know why the hell is Deerpark residents in Kiltipper have to vote over in Killinarden, Its not our constituancy, Its a total different area, and i refuse to vote if that is where i have to go, Can i change my voting location?????
    Kiltipper and Killinarden are right next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 M.E. Doyle

Victor wrote: »
    Kiltipper and Killinarden are right next to each other.

Yes... And kiltipper is also beside Ellensborough, and they dont have to vote in killinarden, i might live beside killinarden but our estates are totally different , council estate and private estate.... I dont acknowledege that area, so whats your point??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tiger Fan

I haved changed my vote from Templeogue, will ID be enough or do I need proof of address which I doubt I have anywhere seeing as I moved out of there 18 months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you have photo ID, you don't really need proof of address, although there is of course the absolute right of the polling clerks, personation officers, etc. to challenge you.

You vote where you were registered - that is the register printed in February 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

M.E. Doyle wrote: »
    Yes... And kiltipper is also beside Ellensborough, and they dont have to vote in killinarden, i might live beside killinarden but our estates are totally different , council estate and private estate.... I dont acknowledege that area, so whats your point??

You don't acknowledge the area? What does that mean?

On second thoughts, maybe it's better that you don't vote on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I have not received mine either. I'm currently still registered in 3 places. I will still be able to vote and will only do it where I live now.

But, God the system is slow. I remember putting in the form where I voted previously and I still am registed in both my previous addresses, 2 and 4 years on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tiger Fan

Victor wrote: »
    If you have photo ID, you don't really need proof of address, although there is of course the absolute right of the polling clerks, personation officers, etc. to challenge you.

You vote where you were registered - that is the register printed in February 2009.

cheers Vic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

McSpud wrote: »

myself and the missus get two cards each.....for different polling stations!...so that wouldn't happen in our case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

McSpud wrote: »
    I've two different cards, two different numbers, two different addresses for two different polling stations, one name on the both of them here in front of me.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I've two different cards, two different numbers, two different addresses for two different polling stations, one name on the both of them here in front of me.

:D

indeed

i mean if i wanted to vote more than once I think i'd manage to plan better than trying to give two cards to the same person at the booths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dipsy

There are an awful lot of discrepancies happening with this referendum. I never received a polling card, first time in 12 years!!! Hmmm :rolleyes: I know I can still vote but it shows they are incapable of following a database...

My boss and her husband both received two polling cards for two seperate polling stations, my friend was removed from the register altogether and I know two foreign nationals who were sent polling cards...

But they would never try to fix the vote now would they :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Theodorebear

if you lived in Kildare you would definitely have received one even if you were not entitled to vote, see this gas story about people who cannot vote being sent cards

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/107960-thousands-incorrect-polling-cards-sent-kildare.html#post2144092

http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=304&PN=1

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Major-polling-cards-blunder-may.5692862.jp

• Advertisement

Pass the tin foil hat this way when you're finished Dipsy....

Advertisement