Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs VRT crackdown in Drogheda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Chief--- wrote:
    You are right.....Never knew that.
    Chief, this is the 'embarrassed' smilie. :o Appropriate?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm delighted they are cracking down tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

So what about someone doing road works who has all the relevant permits?

I wouldnt think they have the legal power to do so.

But show me the legislation and you will change my mind. Its already been changed about revenue officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

So what about someone doing road works who has all the relevant permits?

thats to do with regulation of traffic rather than the "stopping" of traffic, as in the instance of this topic.

the fella stopping traffic for road works would generally be acting as a traffic light - quite often authorities grant permission for temp traffic measures to be put in place, but its up to the road works company how to implement them (eg traffic light or some dude with a stop/go sign)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Someone in charge of animals also has the right to "stop" traffic. Although I'm pretty sure they normally don't sieze cars:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Uncle took his UK import 320ci to work for the first time on Monday, is only waiting for plate number, everything else's has been taken care of, VRT and paperwork.

Customs called into reception and asked for the owner of the Green BMW first day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

ninty9er wrote:
    Uncle took his UK import 320ci to work for the first time on Monday, is only waiting for plate number, everything else's has been taken care of, VRT and paperwork.

Customs called into reception and asked for the owner of the Green BMW first day!

:eek: Fe*kin hell, they were quick off the mark there..... Surely it must happen sometimes that the customs land to an office or somewhere to investigate a car like that only for it genuinely in the country for only a day or so with the registered foreign owner. Would love to see their faces:D

All of which make me wonder, how are all these left hand drive Eastern European car getting away with it. Theres at least 5 in my estate and nothing appears to be done about them. Surely these cars would be more obvious to spot....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

All of which make me wonder, how are all these left hand drive Eastern European car getting away with it.

now, don't get me started. When people on a lot less than me are driving around in S6's and VRS.........I get really pissed. I won't even mention seeing a RHD car.........on Eastern European plates............doesn't take a scientist to work that one out.

By all means have a period where the non-Irish can bring/use their cars - but make it, say, 6 months, and re-reging it mandatory. And no more than 1 car every.......3 years? That'll stop the 6-month dash to the UK........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

ninty9er wrote:

Excellent use of resources:rolleyes: . And when my car gets broken into there is not a cop or officer available to come out and have a look. Glad to see the states priorities to its citizens extends to getting tax off them but not protecting them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

nothing is done about the east euopean car as they are not worth anything. its the same as old heaps that are going around with NI plates or UK plates.

The customs only want cars that they can get revenue from. in other words, new/expensive cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

galwaytt wrote:
    now, don't get me started. When people on a lot less than me are driving around in S6's and VRS.........I get really pissed. I won't even mention seeing a RHD car.........on Eastern European plates............doesn't take a scientist to work that one out.

By all means have a period where the non-Irish can bring/use their cars - but make it, say, 6 months, and re-reging it mandatory. And no more than 1 car every.......3 years? That'll stop the 6-month dash to the UK........

OR .....

just ax the tax :D

The eastern europeans can only use their cars in Ireland for 6 months anyway I thought(or maybe its 3?) before they need to re-register it on Irish plates and pay VRT. I know of a couple of Polish lads that change their plates often to avoid being caught. The cops sometimes stop the foreign reg cars on the Cork to Dublin rd and note the reg and date. If the car is stopped 6 months later it mush be VRT'd. I doubt many actually get caught though.

Most of the "Polish lads" wouldn't have to pay VRT anyway and the rules for registering aren't exactly clearcut either.

On the one hand you're supposed to re-register on the next working day after arrival ...on the other there's a rake of possible exemptions.

Hence my suspicion that the "Polish lads" wouldn't exactly be top priority targets for the customs&revenue guys.

Naturally some of them take advantage of that and try on all sorts of trickery re insurance, tax, NCT and all that.

Personally I don't REALLY care whether somebody managed to dodge VRT or not ...but I get slightly furious when the authoriteis are too bone lazy to inform themselves on how to check for "foreign" insurance properly and just wave people through instead.

peasant wrote:
    Personally I don't REALLY care whether somebody managed to dodge VRT or not ...but I get slightly furious when the authorities are too bone lazy to inform themselves on how to check for "foreign" insurance properly and just wave people through instead.

Ya the insurance is my main concern. Also, I know that anyone from one EU country can bring their car to another for up to 6 months and not have to re register it, the same applies to the "Polish lads" I was on about. I specifically say Polish as I have not really spoken to anyone from the other accession states.

If you are a citizen and resident and import a car from another EU country, you need to pay VRT. However, if you owned the car in that country over 6 months, you can register the car and not have to pay VRT. You then cannot sell the car without paying VRT for the next 12 months.

If you are a resident of another country and move here, you can bring your car with you and keep it registered in your home country for up to 6 months.

Thats basically the rule(s) anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

astraboy wrote:
    Excellent use of resources:rolleyes: . And when my car gets broken into there is not a cop or officer available to come out and have a look. Glad to see the states priorities to its citizens extends to getting tax off them but not protecting them....

Ah well, customs and the Gardaí are 2 separate entities

ninty9er wrote:
    Ah well, customs and the Gardaí are 2 separate entities
    I know, well maybe the customs could have been doing something useful like, I don't know, stopping drugs and illegal firearms entering the country? I think that might fall under their job description too! What I have an issue with is how far they take the crackdown on finding VRT culprits. A bit of reason goes a long way. I mean, your Dad had the car a few days, what if he had been a UK citizen over here on business? Its a great image to send out to out EU neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If the customs spent more time looking for drugs and firearms etc., I'd say it would be a lot better for this country than just collecting more taxes tbh. VRT should be scrapped anyway and motor tax should be standardised. My Audi is 1343 euros to tax it for the year here and 175 sterling to tax it for the year in the U.K., where's the justice in that? It's a total rip-off. Just because you have a decent car here your regarded as a social out cast of some sort, meanwhile our minister's are being driven around in top of the range Merc's, Audi's and Lexus's and are exempt from paying VRT and road tax. It's a great little country isn't it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah but if they made Governement cars pay VRT etc.., the taxpayer would be paying anyways !

Anyway Customs has nothing to do with Motor Tax !
    In theory, is it possible to import a reasonably expensive car in towards the end of the year.....keep it locked away in the garage until Jan ....and then pay the VRT in the new year?
    As the cars Irish value will have dropped due to the change of the year, the VRT payment should also drop. This could be a saving of €1000 on a €30k car....

Any car which is under 6 months old or has less than 6,000 miles is considered to be a brand new car and the full VRT applies !
    If you are a citizen and resident and import a car from another EU country, you need to pay VRT. However, if you owned the car in that country over 6 months, you can register the car and not have to pay VRT. You then cannot sell the car without paying VRT for the next 12 months.

If you are a resident of another country and move here, you can bring your car with you and keep it registered in your home country for up to 6 months.

....thats it in a nutshell !

weeeell ...sort of ...:D

The law contradicts itself.

If you intend to take up residency in Ireland, you're supposed to register your car on the follwing working day immediatedly after your arrival. (and avail of your VRT exemption while your at it)

But who is a "resident" ?

- anyone who is not a tourist
    - anyone who is not a student
    - anyone who has spent 185 consecutive days out of the tax year in the same country
    - anyone who is not on a temporary employment contract.

Now ...in real life ...when you move to Ireland from somewhere else, until a few months have passed, you're not going to know if you will stay permanently or not.

But there is no passage in the law that say that you have six months to re-register ...you don't!
    ...not really ...sort of ...-ish ....kinda ...

Advertisement