Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 trucker protest tomorrow - should it be allowed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

BarryM3 wrote:
    I have to stand up for the trucks here...

For starters EVERYONE complains about the M50, either its delays or its toll charges so why do people get upset when a group (this time the truck drivers) try and do something about it????

I work in the family transport business and have trucks and vans on the road in Dublin everyday.... Only 4 of our trucks use the M50 on a regular basis and our invoice from NTR is about E2k a month to sit in a traffic jam and loose money....

For a start, these truckers may be protesting the governement's actions so why am I the one paying for it?

As for the maintenance, well I have no problem paying for a roads upkeep but I believe I do so already with VRT and road tax. We were told when the toll went in it was only to pay for the roads construction.... were we lied to? I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

imalegend wrote:
    not just inflation but also apprication on a good business!!but sure how could it have possibly failed as a business..once the bridge was up people were queing up to use the think!!

The government should have had a buy out clause in the contract when the were letting this bridge and every other bridge be built.I agree that it had to be done and fair enough let the people who stumped up the cash benefit from it as they have but when the time comes a price should have been agreed a long time ago in accordance with inflation predictions and not 600 bloddy million of the taxpayers dosh!!

They had a broke government bent over a barrel, they could pretty much pick their own terms though.

Not directed at you but there are an awfull lot of people on this forum that have never experience economic hardship of any kind and seem to think that the way its been for the last 10 years or so was the way it always was.

stovelid wrote:
    Does your parents house generate millions of quid a year for them as well, ste? :D

Yes, its been avery successful , tax paying brothel since 1994.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

right to free speech, its in our constitution!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

layke wrote:
    For a start, these truckers may be protesting the governement's actions so why am I the one paying for it?

Ya can't make an omellette without breaking a few eggs!!!

You had to suffer one day for an hour maybe, put yourself in the truckers position who have to sit in that a couple of times a day!!!

The trucks have to be there, a LOT of the car traffic doesn't....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I think we should all get out there and protest, we're all being screwed as motorists. There should be no such thing as toll roads, we're already paying more then we should.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

junkyard wrote:
    I think we should all get out there and protest, we're all being screwed as motorists.
    You have your chance to protest in 2 weeks, I'll be voting against FF/PD corruption and mismanagement.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Not directed at you but there are an awfull lot of people on this forum that have never experience economic hardship of any kind and seem to think that the way its been for the last 10 years or so was the way it always was.
    The prosperity we are experiencing at the moment will be short lived, we are already running a deficit. This short lived prosperity is purely driven by low corporation tax and a booming construction sector. The construction sector is already in freefall and the EU are working on proposals that will force Ireland to increase corporation tax rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

BarryM3; did YOU go out and protest yourself, given that it effects you personally?

Several others; this is a motoring forum, not a political one. Whilst our government may not get everything right, I don't think that their replacements will be much better; ALL politicians seem to be unable to keep a promise, in my oh-so-humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

No, my company didn't take part in the protest. But I back it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd agree with BarryM3. From another view most of the trucks shouldn't be on the M50 in the first place because its not on their route. The new law is forcing them onto it. Anyone coming from the West heading for the docks is now forced onto a congested M50 whereas before they could just drive over the bridge and wave down at it. And anyone coming up from the south east has to travel the distance of it just to go back down close to where they came from adding to the pollution as well as the traffic.

Advertisement