Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mondeo

Options
  • 07-05-2007 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

I know car is due for launch later this month, but are there any dealers anywhere in Dublin ahead of launch offering test drives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭maidhc

I doubt if Fords PR machine would allow that.

It is damn good value though, with a list price starting at €25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

been around a few dealers and none had any.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I believe its been launched in Athens the day before the Champions League final,I hear a load of ford dealers are going over on a big junket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Dub13 wrote:
    I hear a load of ford dealers are going over on a big junket.

Yes we are and looking forward to it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yes we are and looking forward to it :D

Cnut...LOL,I mite see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Didn't take long for the novelty value to wear off did it?

There already knocking off nearly 5000 euro off and the car already, so if your buying one haggle hard theres bargains to be had especially in uk.

£3,500 Discount on new Mondeos

www.uk-car-discount.co.uk is offering discounts on the 1st Allocation of new model Ford Mondeo. The cars are in stock for a quick 7 day delivery. Prices quoted include Metallic Paint, 12
    months Road Tax, 1st Registration Fee and FREE Delivery to your home or place of work. Vehicles un registered at the dealer awaiting good home. Various Colours available, some with options as well.

Mondeo Titanium X 5 door 2.0 TDCi 140 PS 6 speed £18117 Saving £3878

Mondeo Ghia 5 door 2.0 TDCi 140 PS 6 speed £16517 Saving £3478

Mondeo Zetec 1.8 TDCi 125 PS 6 speed £15197 Saving £3148

Orders Now Being Taken For The New Model See Website For Models
    Available, Prices etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Over here (UK) cruise control is going to be standard across the range. Does anyone know if this is the case in Ireland? I'm moving back soon so will be buying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

wingnut wrote:
    Over here (UK) cruise control is going to be standard across the range. Does anyone know if this is the case in Ireland? I'm moving back soon so will be buying at home.

There is no news on Irish specifications from Ford yet afaik. It is supposed to be kicking off at around €25/26k. Generally Irish spec cars are usually lower than UK spec ones due to VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well considering that Uncle Henry has decided that the Irish don't want the 1.6 with 123 bhp(the Irish one gets 108 bhp) which I simply cant understand, as it has the power output close ernough to a 1.8 petrol(and the same as the old Mondeo petrol Zetec), without the tax penalty, I don't think that they are going to offer us a Mondeo with Cruise Control either. That said ESP will be standard on all models, even for we Irish, so theres hope all the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

E92 wrote:
    Well considering that Uncle Henry has decided that the Irish don't want the 1.6 with 123 bhp(the Irish one gets 108 bhp) which I simply cant understand, as it has the power output close ernough to a 1.8 petrol(and the same as the old Mondeo petrol Zetec), without the tax penalty

I agree. An unwise move of their part if true. The 125bhp 1.6 would have been ideal for Irish conditions, and the size of the car.

The lower powered 1.6 will not even be available in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

bazz26 wrote:
    There is no news on Irish specifications from Ford yet afaik. It is supposed to be kicking off at around €25/26k. Generally Irish spec cars are usually lower than UK spec ones due to VRT.

Released last month:

Ford announces specifications for the new Mondeo range

Released and effective April 23, 2007, Ford has announced specification details for the new Mondeo range.

Details as follows:

Specifications for LX trim include:
    - front and side airbags for driver and passenger
    - side curtain airbags
    - driver's knee airbag
    - ABS with electronic brake distribution and brake assist
    - ESP with traction control
    - power heated and body-colored door mirrors
    - body-colored bumpers
    - front power windows
    - remote power door locks
    - air-conditioning
    - multi-function steering wheel
    - electrically heated windscreen
    - height- and lumbar-adjustable driver's seat
    - alarm
    - radio/CD with MP3 connection socket
    - Ford EasyFuel system with comfort fuel lock and wrong-fuel protection
    - 16" steel wheels

Zetec trim adds to LX:
    - cruise control
    - rear power windows with global closing
    - power height-adjustable driver's seat
    - dual-zone climate control
    - leather-trimmed steering wheel and gear knob
    - front foglights
    - body-colored door handles
    - 16" alloy wheels

Ghia trim adds to Zetec:
    - door entry lights in door mirrors
    - front and rear mats
    - height-adjustable passenger's seat
    - rear view mirror with automatic operation
    - light and rain sensors
    - Sony stereo with in-dash six-disc CD autochanger
    - 17" alloy wheels

Titanium X trim adds to Ghia:
    - Alcantara/leather seat upholstery
    - adaptive headlights
    - heated sports front seats
    - power folding mirrors
    - front and rear parking sensors
    - blue tinted glass

MONDEO - 1.6I 110PS LX - 4sedan 24,995
    MONDEO - 1.6I 110PS LX - 5wagon 25,595
    MONDEO - 1.6I 110PS LX - 5hatchback 26,645
    MONDEO - 1.6I 110PS ZETEC - 4sedan 27,245
    MONDEO - 1.6I 110PS ZETEC - 5wagon 28,895
    MONDEO - 1.6I 110PS ZETEC - 5hatchback 27,845
    MONDEO - 1.8TDCI 100PS LX - 4sedan 27,995
    MONDEO - 1.8TDCI 100PS LX - 5hatchback 28,595
    MONDEO - 1.8TDCI 110PS LX - 5wagon 29,645
    MONDEO - 1.8TDCI 125PS ZETEC - 4sedan 31,745
    MONDEO - 1.8TDCI 125PS ZETEC - 5wagon 33,395
    MONDEO - 1.8TDCI 125PS ZETEC - 5hatchback 32,345
    MONDEO - 2.0 ZETEC - 5wagon 32,565
    MONDEO - 2.0I 145PS GHIA - 4sedan 33,515
    MONDEO - 2.0I 145PS GHIA - 5hatchback 34,115
    MONDEO - 2.0I 145PS TITANIUM X - 4sedan 36,115
    MONDEO - 2.0I 145PS TITANIUM X - 5hatchback 36,715
    MONDEO - 2.0I 145PS ZETEC - 4sedan 30,915
    MONDEO - 2.0I 145PS ZETEC - 5hatchback 31,515
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS GHIA AUTO - 4sedan 37,045
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS GHIA AUTO - 5hatchback 37,645
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS LX AUTO - 4sedan 32,195
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS LX AUTO - 5wagon 33,845
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS LX AUTO - 5hatchback 32,795
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS TITANIUM X AUTO - 4sedan 39,645
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS TITANIUM X AUTO - 5hatchback 40,245
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS ZETEC AUTO - 4sedan 34,445
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS ZETEC AUTO - 5wagon 36,095
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 130PS ZETEC AUTO - 5hatchback 35,045
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 140PS GHIA - 4sedan 36,795
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 140PS GHIA - 5hatchback 37,395
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 140PS TITANIUM X - 4sedan 39,395
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 140PS TITANIUM X - 5hatchback 39,995
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 140PS ZETEC - 4sedan 34,195
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 140PS ZETEC - 5wagon 35,845
    MONDEO - 2.0TDCI 140PS ZETEC - 5hatchback 34,795
    MONDEO - 2.5I 220PS GHIA - 4sedan 39,745
    MONDEO - 2.5I 220PS GHIA - 5hatchback 40,345
    MONDEO - 2.5I 220PS TITANIUM X - 4sedan 42,345
    MONDEO - 2.5I 220PS TITANIUM X - 5hatchback 42,945

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

MONDEO - 1.8TDCI 125PS ZETEC - 5hatchback 32,345

0 - 60 in 10.2 seconds and 48mpg combined according to honest john.
    Best value family car? This seems a bargain to me. Might add rear parking sensors and rain and light sensors. Maybe active or xenon lights for safty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Can anyone think of any reason why they're giving us the crappier version of the 1.6 engine? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Stephen wrote:
    Can anyone think of any reason why they're giving us the crappier version of the 1.6 engine? Bizarre.
    And the LX is getting steel wheels! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ice_Box wrote:
    Best value family car?

Skoda Superb - 1.9DI Exclusive - €29500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

This situation is insane. If the mondeo had been out 6 months ago I'd be bringing it home without VRT.

Irish Mondeo 1.6 = 15BHP less, no cruise control and and €6,000 more expensive!!! I know theres VRT but that really is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

fletch wrote:
    And the LX is getting steel wheels! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Perfect for its future squad car duties! ;)

prospect wrote:
    Skoda Superb - 1.9DI Exclusive - €29500.

I'd say the mondeo is well worth the few extra bob. You can of course get the LX for €28k if you have the Skoda mentality! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well the British were supposed to be getting both versions of the 1.6 Mondeo. That makes it even worse. I simply cant understand why surley the most suitable engine for the Irish market, the 123 bhp 1.6 is left out. Even Volkswagen left out the lower powered version of their 1.6 with the Passat. The current Passat is still available in the continent with the ancient 8 valve, old fashioned indirect injection 1.6 thats been around since the time the Polo was first sold as 5 door car,if not even longer, which develops 102 bhp. But VW at least had the decency to send us the much more modern FSI unit. Although they never gave us another engine which would have been ideal, the 1.4 FSi in the Golf, but thats another day's business.
    Without a doubt, Ford seemed to be of the opinion that in order to move the new Mondeo more upmarket, that you have to do what the Germans were great for doing once upon a time: sell you the car, but in order to get a good one, you have to spend half as much again. I'd say that a diesel Zetec will be the model to have, the Volvo sourced 2.5T is probably the best engine by a mile, but you'd want to be mad to own such a car in this country with all the taxes etc and likely disastorous depreciation that comes as standard with large engined models in this country,indeed across the pond they think that just 2% of customers will choose this option.

Does anybody think that asking a car thats longer than the E39 5 series, weighs almost 1.5 tonnes(1435 kg to be exact, 30 kilos short of an E39 520i AFAIR, and I remeber people saying that the 520i had a beautiful engine, but it was just too slow and it had 150 bhp and 2 litres(at the start)) to make do with a 110 bhp Petrol engine is a bit too much? Especially if I told you that it takes 12.7 seconds to hit 3 figure speeds(all the people thinking I meant 100 mph are going to be very disappointed:D ) cause I meant 100 km/h, and it takes almost 15 seconds(14.7 to be precise) to go from 50 - 100 km/h in 4th gear.

The new Mondeo has the biggest dimensions of any car in this class, with only 110bhp the car is really going to struggle. Even the slightly lighter Passat with 115bhp and the Avensis with 110bhp are both underpowered in 1.6 litre form. Ultimately though in Ireland these versions are in high demand both new and used.

If I had to choose a new Mondeo it would probably be either a 1.8 TDCi or 2.0 TDCi Zetec. Going on depreciation patterns of previous Mondeo models though I would probably wait and buy a 12 month old one for a fraction of the new price.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    If I had to choose a new Mondeo it would probably be either a 1.8 TDCi or 2.0 TDCi Zetec. Going on depreciation patterns of previous Mondeo models though I would probably wait and buy a 12 month old one for a fraction of the new price.

The 2.0 is hardly worth the jump in the tax band I would think. The 2.2 HDI will be a lovely unit when it comes out though. I'm surprised the Volvo D5 isn't seeing the light of day in the mondeo.

maidhc wrote:
    The 2.0 is hardly worth the jump in the tax band I would think. The 2.2 HDI will be a lovely unit when it comes out though. I'm surprised the Volvo D5 isn't seeing the light of day in the mondeo.

Indeed. I am also amazed that they didn't put the 1.6 110bhp TDCi engine into it instead of the older 1.8 litre 100bhp unit they are offering in the LX.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why are they still offering the 1.8 engine? Isn't it this case in the Focus as well, the HDI seems obviously superior

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    Why are they still offering the 1.8 engine? Isn't it this case in the Focus as well, the HDI seems obviously superior

1.8 petrol engine is dropped. 1.8 TDCI is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

colm_mcm wrote:

Money, money, money...

The 1.8 is based on an ancient block, most of the manufacturing equipment is probably equally ancient and fully depreciated so with very little payback required for capital costs, with the exception of the cylinder heads which will have been reworked for direct injection (TDDi) and more recently common rail (TDCi), churning them out is cheap as you like. The HDI is bought in from peugeot, so it is always going to be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lads whats the tax diff between a 1.6 and a 2litre, hardly a deal breaker if you are prepared to waste, sorry spend, nearly 30k on a car that will be worth half that in 3 years

Cyrus wrote:
    lads whats the tax diff between a 1.6 and a 2litre, hardly a deal breaker if you are prepared to waste, sorry spend, nearly 30k on a car that will be worth half that in 3 years

About €200 a year. You are dead right btw.

irish people seem to have a complete aversion to road tax, i can understand it if someone is on a tight budget buying second hand.

But buying a new car (at retail price anyway) is such a poor financial (and i stress financial i know there are other factors) decision, that a couple of hundred quid in tax is neither here nor there

The thing is that depreciation to most people is an invisible entity that they only need to think about when buying/selling a car. Alot of people see depreciation as a natural factor of life for which they accept as part of owning a car.

On the other hand things like increased motor tax, insurance and fuel bills are a constant reminder every week, every month or every year. For alot of people these type of expenses are far more tangable than depreciation.

Human nature I suppose.

• Advertisement

i agree but it still doesnt make sense, if people actually sit done and work out the financial implications of buying a new car then depreciation is the single biggest factor.

Advertisement