Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Churchill one of the worst war criminals of all time ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Unless they captured the airfields like they did in Crete. As a diversion it might have been useful. As a way to bottle neck the ports especially Liverpool it might have had merits.
    Crete was a bloody disaster for the German airborne troops, never really recovered from the casualties.
    Capturing the airfields wouldnt do too much, the planes couldn't make it over, especially over Big Hostile Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭O'Leprosy

He was definately an unapologetic imperialist,

Like yourself :D
    If Churchill had been born to Irish parents in Cork, he would have a statue in Glasnevin..

If being the key point here.

[Let's keep it civil: PHB]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

O'Leprosy wrote:
    Like yourself :D

If your aunt had male genitalia she'd be your uncle wouldn't she Einstein.

thank you for that educated, informative post.

Now, don't you have something better to do, like troll a forum somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Very controversial! We can only take it that you are pro-war by this statement! You don't need me to point out Irelands sad and bloody history. When we did finally win our freedom, the majority of people wanted no part of any war. Whats wrong with that??? I for one, am glad we didn't align ourselves with Churchill and the like!

I am not pro -war just dont believe in peace at any price I opened a Neutrality thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tchocky wrote:
    Crete was a bloody disaster for the German airborne troops, never really recovered from the casualties.
    agreed, but they did capture it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tchocky wrote:
    I think our refusal to help out with the Battle of The Atlantic was disgraceful.
    We did let them fly over our territory from Lough Erin.

If Churchill had been born to Irish parents in Cork, he would have a statue in Glasnevin.

Yeah, and the staue would have gone the same way as Nelson's Pillar on O'Connell St. by the IRA in 1966. Indeed Irish people showed the admiration they had for this british hero when the song "Up Went Nelson" was at Number 1 spot for 8 weeks afterwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson%27s_Pillar#Destruction_of_the_Pillar

O'Leprosy wrote:
    Yeah, and the staue would have gone the same way as Nelson's Pillar on O'Connell St. by the IRA in 1966. Indeed Irish people showed the admiration they had for this british hero when the song "Up Went Nelson" was at Number 1 spot for 8 weeks afterwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson%27s_Pillar#Destruction_of_the_Pillar

I really admire the way you manage to completely miss the point every time, yet still manage to come up with some irrelevant bigoted bollox.

some irrelevant bigoted bollox.

In your own words Einstein - " thank you for that educated, informative post. " :)

( This is to everyone, not just poor old Fred, although I can imagine his reply )

If britain invaded the 26 co's during WW2 and the 26 co's were to resist would that make all who violently resisted -

(A) Terrorists or resistance fighters ?
    (B) if IRA men in the south fought against the brits in the 26 co's, would they be be terrorists or resistance fighters
    (C) If they were in say, Donegal, and they shot at the british forces across in Tyrone, would they be resistance fighters or terrorists ?
    (D) Undoubtably the Nationalists and the IRA in the north would have given us 100% support, if they resisted in the north would they be (1) terrorists or resistance fighters or would they only be (2) resistance fighters if they crossed the border and fought in the south (3) terrorists again if they went back into the north and fought the brits ?
    (E) If unionist mobs led on by the ruc/brits attacked nationalist homes like they did in August 1969, 1930's and 1920's and before, would the nationalists in the north become terrorists to defend their homes and families and the 26 co. leaders 'stand idly by' ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Wow O'leprosey, you are the worst troll I've ever seen. Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

What's the point of this?
    It's not an alternate history forum.....

bard - this is a coincidence :P

Oooh, now I want an alternate history forum...oh wait there's already a conspiracy theory forum, I think O'scabbyskin's post could've gone in there....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Contrafactual history has made lots of people lots and lots of money

There's conterfactual and then there's plain silly.

Wow O'leprosey, you are the worst troll I've ever seen. Congratulations.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or even just even having a wisecrack with the last posting just for the crack, but I thought I actually made a good point. I thought it actually raises constructive critism and raises a good point - when an Irish person violently resists british rule, when do they cease to become a terrorist and become a freedom/resistance fighter ? It raises the whole hypocracy regarding british occupation of the 6 counties. Some people who are nice and cosy down here may not like my questions but they are valid are they not ? But don't take me too serious Brian, I only save my venom for unionist trolls ;)

" o'scappyskin " your outdoing me !!!!

Well presuming for a second you might be serious, question (C) is more than a bit silly. And the example of the French resistence should adequately answer the other questions if you think about it.

Well presuming for a second you might be serious, question (C) is more than a bit silly. And the example of the French resistence should adequately answer the other questions if you think about it.

Well, sorry and to be honest, the questions were thought up of with a bit of tongue in cheek, but I hope they make a good point.

The point being that you are trying to be tongue in cheek? I don't see what point they are making or how they relate to the topic of the thread. The terrorist vs freedom fighters question would be better suited to the language forums methinks.

The point being that you are trying to be tongue in cheek? I don't see what point they are making or how they relate to the topic of the thread. The terrorist vs freedom fighters question would be better suited to the language forums methinks.

Fair enough, I've moved it over to the Politics forum, if admin want to dump it now.

• Advertisement

Sooo, as the OP has deliberatey taken the thread off topic, I take it that they have conceed that Churchill was not a war criminal, just a great leader caught up in the most bitter conflict the world has seen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

[edited]

Advertisement