Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm pretty tired of this line ...

Options
  • 03-05-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

"Thats your truth and this is my truth!"

What complete and utter nonsense.

The truth is indisputable, immutable and fact. It is not subjective. It is not a metamorphic form of reality.

When I talk about evolution and the non-existance of god I get people telling me that god existing is "my truth", as if that is actually an argument and not some shallow, tenuous and broken logic.

You cannot choose the truth! The truth is fact! You cant present opinion as fact!!!

Please tell me that I am not the only one who is sick of hearing this drek?

ps.

Oh, and evolution is not an opinion it is a fact, it IS falsifiable and it is the TRUTH.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

As we often have to remind people on the Creationists thread in the Christian forum

Truth is not a democracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Oh, and evolution is not an opinion it is a fact, it IS falsifiable and it is the TRUTH.

Well as much as anything in science can be a "fact"

It is possible the evolution is completely wrong. But very unlikely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There an awful lot of word play in this whole area. The abuse of scientific terms in particular. The "Truth" of god as opposed to scientific "truths" etc. I find many arguments simply boil down to such nonsense.

This reminds me of Robins post yesterday (or was it today...) about ethos. Its just a dressed up word for religious discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Now let's all start new threads about obvious truisms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth!
    You said it big fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

theists are just like tom cruise in a few good men....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Crucifix wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Picard
    The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth!
    You said it big fella.

http://hjem.wanadoo.dk/~wan13237/darkmateria_the_picard_song.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

The truth is indisputable, immutable and fact. It is not subjective. It is not a metamorphic form of reality.

When I talk about evolution and the non-existance of god I get people telling me that god existing is "my truth", as if that is actually an argument and not some shallow, tenuous and broken logic.

You cannot choose the truth! The truth is fact! You cant present opinion as fact!!!

Please tell me that I am not the only one who is sick of hearing this drek?

ps.

I think there is truth in mythos and truth in logos and they both have completly different meaning.
    I am robbing this point from Karen Armstrong BTW.
    Truth in mythos, people connecting to a myth and the myth has a real deep life changing meaning.
    Truth in logos, an argument being logical valid and sound.

If you can get them to agree to that, would it bother you?

Evolution is not a fact, nor is Gravity, atomic theory or any scientific theory. There is no concept of "TRUTH" in the scientific method. You are actually using rhetoric there yourself in a rather an unscientific way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

i think its all got to do with the whole 'non overlapping magisteria' youve got your truth, the whole science, evolution, etc. thing. but thats not the whole story, there are things that science cant prove or disprove (in my opinion, anyway) so we've got the whole science/ evolution thing on our side, AND we believe there is something more aswell,

unless your talking about creationists, ...i dont really know what to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Mordeth wrote:
    Haha - that's great, but I could only manage to get through about 30 seconds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I think there is truth in mythos and truth in logos and they both have completly different meaning.
    I am robbing this point from Karen Armstrong BTW.
    Truth in mythos, people connecting to a myth and the myth has a real deep life changing meaning.
    Truth in logos, an argument being logical valid and sound.

If you can get them to agree to that, would it bother you?

Evolution is not a fact, nor is Gravity, atomic theory or any scientific theory. There is no concept of "TRUTH" in the scientific method. You are actually using rhetoric there yourself in a rather an unscientific way.

Sorry, did you just claim that Gravity and Atomic Theory are not fact?

I could as easily make claims about the postman not existing and my letters appearing by magick everyday (I don't see it happening personally therefore, because I haven't measured it I could make this claim) but I don't. Because its total cods wallop.

Gravity is a measurable and falsifiable force (the very things required for scientific fact). The Atom, electrons, protons, neutrons, photons, muon, gluon's, quarks, etc ad nauseum are all quantifiable, measurable and falsifiable. These are both fact. Incontrovertible and incontestable in their existence to the point where even if we discovered that the laws of thermodynamics were to suddenly been dropped in favor of something else we would merely have to re-evaluate how we perceive them rather than say that they are not a fact.

The only reason that evolution is not called "the law of evolution" is because there is still a lot that needs to be understood and a lot of idiots still clamoring about dinosaurs being put here "to test our faith in god" (reference to the gaps in the fossil record).

Aside from this, when people talk about a myth affecting their lives it is ot a truth for them, this is just romantic language (and quite poor usage I might add), it is belief and a perception of reality in relation to them. This does emphatically not make it a truth.

When I say truth I mean truth. Actual truth. Not some airy fairy poetic meaning of "personal truth". You can have all the "personal truths" about gremlins and fairies that you want but it doesnt make it fact and it doesnt make it true.

The truth is what it is. It is fact. It is reality. It is the unbiased, cold, hard fact.

Any claim to the contrary is either romanticism, poor comprehension of the English language or wishful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well, thats your truth ;)

Well, see, now....I disagree.

Science attempts to create falsifiable models which match observation.

This doesn't make it true.

We can say that the odds are vanishingly small that the universe is <insert-age-here> old, created to look exactly like one which would result from our scientific model of a big bang.

What we cannot say is that it didn't happen.

Why not? Because by definition science couldn't tell the difference between the two. If it could, then one wouldn't look exactly like the other.

So which is true? Science doesn't tell us. Logic doesn't tell us. They can be combined to give us what we believe to be a best guess....the most likely scenario, but thats the limit.

If you choose to look at that and say "What rot...these things are undeniably true and bonkey is just being pedantic", then thats your perogative. However, what you're then asserting is that there's my truth (which says the above is a valid argument), and your truth (which says that its not). Of course, that would mean that truth is, indeed, subjective.
    Nothing which is falsifiable can be a fact or unquestionably the truth. If it was, then it would be incapable of being false, which would mean it would be incapable of being falsifiable.

ETA:

While I agree with your basic "this statement bugs me" (which I didn't state), what bugs me almost as much is people overstating what science is and what it can achieve. Science does not define truth. If you believe otherwise, you're as guilty of having "your truth" as anyone else.

i think its all got to do with the whole 'non overlapping magisteria' youve got your truth, the whole science, evolution, etc. thing. but thats not the whole story, there are things that science cant prove or disprove (in my opinion, anyway) so we've got the whole science/ evolution thing on our side, AND we believe there is something more aswell,

unless your talking about creationists, ...i dont really know what to say about them.

The problem here is that you are saying that in your opinion(sic) there are things that science cant explain. This is not a fact.

The fact is that science can, and will, eventually explain everything, given enough time. Its just that we havent explained it yet. Thats all.

Neither of these things change that the Truth for one person cannot be different to the truth of another person because the truth, by its very nature, is immutable. The truth IS. It is not a metaphysical or romantic theory. It is a fact, an explanation, a proof, a quantifiable entity.

... and creationists are little more than articulate and stubborn theists.

bonkey wrote:
    Well, thats your truth ;)

Well, see, now....I disagree.

Science attempts to create falsifiable models which match observation.

This doesn't make it true.

We can say that the odds are vanishingly small that the universe is <insert-age-here> old, created to look exactly like one which would result from our scientific model of a big bang.

What we cannot say is that it didn't happen.

Why not? Because by definition science couldn't tell the difference between the two. If it could, then one wouldn't look exactly like the other.

So which is true? Science doesn't tell us. Logic doesn't tell us. They can be combined to give us what we believe to be a best guess....the most likely scenario, but thats the limit.

If you choose to look at that and say "What rot...these things are undeniably true and bonkey is just being pedantic", then thats your perogative. However, what you're then asserting is that there's my truth (which says the above is a valid argument), and your truth (which says that its not). Of course, that would mean that truth is, indeed, subjective.

Nothing which is falsifiable can be a fact or unquestionably the truth. If it was, then it would be incapable of being false, which would mean it would be incapable of being falsifiable.

ETA:

While I agree with your basic "this statement bugs me" (which I didn't state), what bugs me almost as much is people overstating what science is and what it can achieve. Science does not define truth. If you believe otherwise, you're as guilty of having "your truth" as anyone else.

I utterly disagree.

Firstly, I will correct you on the definition of falsifiability. For something to be falsifiable it doesnt mean that you make it false ... the point is to show that it would be false if under x circumstance you got a negative rather than a positive result.

There is no other rational, logical or feasible in which life can have come into being. Evolution by natural selection and slow mutation is the only possible method by which the world in which we live came about (excluding alien intervention and the hand of god).

You seem to believe that if something is falsifiable it means it is false when it means entirely the opposite (though I admit it is a lousy choice of words).

Secondly, you contend that the truth is subjective because science cannot show the truth. But the point is that science doesn't have to show the truth, it just shows fact, and it is fact that shows the truth.

People seem to be mis understanding what the truth is, as if you are judging the word from a religious position rather than a rational one.

Truth is not some "greater meaning" it is simply "what is" without glitz, without being sexed up. Truth is the existence of fact quantifying reality.

I dont mean "ultimate truth" or some quasi mystical drek, I mean the simple, real, unadulterated truth.

Personal truth is just a buzz word and term coined by theists with an agenda and tele-evangelists with a hungry wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The problem here is that you are saying that in your opinion(sic) there are things that science cant explain. This is not a fact.

The fact is that science can, and will, eventually explain everything, given enough time. Its just that we havent explained it yet. Thats all.

That's a belief, not a fact, any more than the contrary position is.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    That's a belief, not a fact, any more than the contrary position is.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

No, it is a fact. To say that science cannot explain something or give an answer for something is to suggest that something has no explanation or answer.

That is a belief, its not supported by rationality, by proof or even common sense and is accepted as just "being that way". The same belief and magical thinking that leads to daftisms (copyright Hivemind187) like "God is beyond understanding" or "he has a plan and works in mysterious ways".

Hiding yourself from the reality, harsh though it may be, is not fact or truth. It is falsehood and denial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

im just being silly now, but...
    The fact is that science can, and will, eventually explain everything, given enough time. Its just that we havent explained it yet. Thats all
    in your opinion, you dont know, how can you?
    the Truth for one person cannot be different to the truth of another person because the truth, by its very nature, is immutable. The truth IS. It is not a metaphysical or romantic theory. It is a fact, an explanation, a proof, a quantifiable entity.
    yes, the truth is the same for everyone, and yes it is a fact, but i dont see how it needs to be an explaination, maybe it just is, and im not sure that we can get to the deepest level of truth here on earth, (even if there is no afterlife)

im just being silly now, but...
    in your opinion, you dont know, how can you?

yes, the truth is the same for everyone, and yes it is a fact, but i dont see how it needs to be an explaination, maybe it just is, and im not sure that we can get to the deepest level of truth here on earth, (even if there is no afterlife)

My point is not about the meaning of "truth" rather I that I am tired of the pathetic use of "my truth your truth" as a valid argument to avoid the onus of proof.

No, it is a fact. To say that science cannot explain something or give an answer for something is to suggest that something has no explanation or answer.

Is red or green a nicer colour? Is it more worthwhile for me to try to do good, or pursue my own advantage? Would I enjoy 300? Will it rain in Dalkey this day next year? Does the supernatural exist?

All of those have answers - yes/no answers. Science cannot answer any of them.

Science is a tool - a methodology for discovering truths. By virtue of its limitations (only naturalistic, objectively verifiable, explanations) it is a very good tool. By virtue of the same limitations, it cannot be used to answer certain questions. The questions are not less real because they do not have a scientific answer.
    Hiding yourself from the reality, harsh though it may be, is not fact or truth. It is falsehood and denial.

Indeed.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Firstly, I will correct you on the definition of falsifiability. For something to be falsifiable it doesnt mean that you make it false ... the point is to show that it would be false if under x circumstance you got a negative rather than a positive result.
    Yes. "If we observe X, then Y is falsified". However, for that to have 0 probability, you have to state that X cannot be observed. Were you to do that, then your test is no longer valid for falsification.

Secondly if you could state with certainty that X cannot be observed, then your assertion is in turn based on a non-falsifiable presumption, and is therefore non-scientific in nature.
    There is no other rational, logical or feasible in which life can have come into being.
    Thats your opinion. Its not a fact.
    Evolution by natural selection and slow mutation is the only possible method by which the world in which we live came about (excluding alien intervention and the hand of god).
    So you admit that there are other possibilities, however unlikely. Science doesn't care if you think something is rational, logical or feasible. Science deals in what is possible.
    You seem to believe that if something is falsifiable it means it is false
    No, I mean that something is falsifiable only if the possibility exists that it might be false. Once that possibility is removed, it is no longer falsifiable. Falsifiability excludes certainty. By definition.

As I said, one can argue that the chances of something being wrong are vanishingly small, and I've no disagreement with that, but that is still distinct from absolute certainty.
    Secondly, you contend that the truth is subjective because science cannot show the truth.
    No, I didn't. I said that my position is that science doesn't tell us the truth. For me, that position is a true representation of science.
    But the point is that science doesn't have to show the truth, it just shows fact,
    No, it doesn't. Science attempts to create predictive models based on observation.

The classic analagy for science is someone learning the game of chess by observation. At no time can that person make a definitive statement about what is and is not allowed. They never know that there isn't another special case that will overthrow their predictions.

You can say that pawns can only move one space at a time in a straight line, because you've never seen anything else. Then you see someone making a first move with a pawn and realise you were wrong, and that pawns can only move one space at a time in a straight line, except on their first move where they might move two. Then you see someone taking another piece with a pawn and realise you were wrong. Now you realise that pawns move one or two spaces forward on their first move, and one space forward thereafter unless capturing another piece which they do by moving diagonally onto the square that the piece-to-be-captured resides on. And then you watch hundreds or thousands of games and state for a fact that this is how pawns behave...only to find your wrong when someone makes an "en passant" move.

Now, I know the rules of chess, and I didn't learn them by observation, so I know when all options have been covered. But the "learn by observing" person cannot, and they will be surprised time after time after time, until eventually they can only say "this is how things behave, unless there's stuff I haven't seen yet which says otherwise".

We don't know the rules. We think we know a lot of the rules, but just like "en passant" in chess, we cannot rule out the possibility that our scientific pawns will suddenly do something that overturns assumptions we have made. And so, we accept that those assumptions are just that - assumptive. They are not certain. They may or may not be correct. We do not know.
    People seem to be mis understanding what the truth is, as if you are judging the word from a religious position rather than a rational one.
    I have no misunderstanding of what truth is. I've studied it from a mathematical perspective and learned that even there, its a very hard concept to truly pin down and understand despite appearing deceptively simple. Once you leave the world of mathematics - the only place where proof really means that something is unquestionably true - you get into really murky water.
    Truth is not some "greater meaning" it is simply "what is" without glitz, without being sexed up.
    Thats your truth.

Philosophers throughout the ages have wrestled with this very issue and have come to vastly differing understandings of what truth is. Its not a clearly-defined concept, no matter how you might think it is.
    Truth is the existence of fact quantifying reality.
    And if existence, fact and reality were clearly defined, that sentence would actually mean something.

However, existence itself is a metaphysical concept which science can't offer any exaplanation or comment on. Reality is - as best we can determine - entirely a subjective experience. Fact...well...fact is either what you think is certain, or what is certain regardless of whether you think otherwise (i.e. you've no way of knowing if something is fact or not, without resorting to subjective analysis).
    I dont mean "ultimate truth" or some quasi mystical drek, I mean the simple, real, unadulterated truth.
    Ah. You mean what you see as the truth. Your subjective opinion of what the truth is. The version you think is objectively the right one.
    Personal truth is just a buzz word and term coined by theists with an agenda and tele-evangelists with a hungry wallet.
    I think its a concept abused by such people, but as with many such things, they've taken a very valid concept and turned it to their advantage.

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote:
    Is red or green a nicer colour? Is it more worthwhile for me to try to do good, or pursue my own advantage? Would I enjoy 300? Will it rain in Dalkey this day next year? Does the supernatural exist?

All of those have answers - yes/no answers. Science cannot answer any of them.

Science is a tool - a methodology for discovering truths. By virtue of its limitations (only naturalistic, objectively verifiable, explanations) it is a very good tool. By virtue of the same limitations, it cannot be used to answer certain questions. The questions are not less real because they do not have a scientific answer.

Indeed.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'm sorry. What was your point?

All of those things are either scientifically measurable and answerable "when will it rain (meterology and statistics), will I enjoy the 300 (statistics and psychology)" or they are opinions "which is a nicer color".

Science is a tool, one that can reveal information. Information is also a tool, one that allows us to understand the reality in which we live. Understanding is also a tool, when unbiased it allows us to understand the truth of reality.

You say it cant answer questions, but these questions you refer to are not questions so much as preferences. Science doesnt need to answer preferences.
    Seriously ... what is your point?

bonkey wrote:
    Yes. "If we observe X, then Y is falsified". However, for that to have 0 probability, you have to state that X cannot be observed. Were you to do that, then your test is no longer valid for falsification.

Secondly if you could state with certainty that X cannot be observed, then your assertion is in turn based on a non-falsifiable presumption, and is therefore non-scientific in nature.

Thats your opinion. Its not a fact.

So you admit that there are other possibilities, however unlikely. Science doesn't care if you think something is rational, logical or feasible. Science deals in what is possible.

No, I mean that something is falsifiable only if the possibility exists that it might be false. Once that possibility is removed, it is no longer falsifiable. Falsifiability excludes certainty. By definition.

As I said, one can argue that the chances of something being wrong are vanishingly small, and I've no disagreement with that, but that is still distinct from absolute certainty.

No, I didn't. I said that my position is that science doesn't tell us the truth. For me, that position is a true representation of science.

No, it doesn't. Science attempts to create predictive models based on observation.

The classic analagy for science is someone learning the game of chess by observation. At no time can that person make a definitive statement about what is and is not allowed. They never know that there isn't another special case that will overthrow their predictions.

You can say that pawns can only move one space at a time in a straight line, because you've never seen anything else. Then you see someone making a first move with a pawn and realise you were wrong, and that pawns can only move one space at a time in a straight line, except on their first move where they might move two. Then you see someone taking another piece with a pawn and realise you were wrong. Now you realise that pawns move one or two spaces forward on their first move, and one space forward thereafter unless capturing another piece which they do by moving diagonally onto the square that the piece-to-be-captured resides on. And then you watch hundreds or thousands of games and state for a fact that this is how pawns behave...only to find your wrong when someone makes an "en passant" move.

Now, I know the rules of chess, and I didn't learn them by observation, so I know when all options have been covered. But the "learn by observing" person cannot, and they will be surprised time after time after time, until eventually they can only say "this is how things behave, unless there's stuff I haven't seen yet which says otherwise".

We don't know the rules. We think we know a lot of the rules, but just like "en passant" in chess, we cannot rule out the possibility that our scientific pawns will suddenly do something that overturns assumptions we have made. And so, we accept that those assumptions are just that - assumptive. They are not certain. They may or may not be correct. We do not know.

I have no misunderstanding of what truth is. I've studied it from a mathematical perspective and learned that even there, its a very hard concept to truly pin down and understand despite appearing deceptively simple. Once you leave the world of mathematics - the only place where proof really means that something is unquestionably true - you get into really murky water.

Thats your truth.

Philosophers throughout the ages have wrestled with this very issue and have come to vastly differing understandings of what truth is. Its not a clearly-defined concept, no matter how you might think it is.

And if existence, fact and reality were clearly defined, that sentence would actually mean something.

However, existence itself is a metaphysical concept which science can't offer any exaplanation or comment on. Reality is - as best we can determine - entirely a subjective experience. Fact...well...fact is either what you think is certain, or what is certain regardless of whether you think otherwise (i.e. you've no way of knowing if something is fact or not, without resorting to subjective analysis).

Ah. You mean what you see as the truth. Your subjective opinion of what the truth is. The version you think is objectively the right one.

I think its a concept abused by such people, but as with many such things, they've taken a very valid concept and turned it to their advantage.

Hmm, ok. Perhaps I misunderstood your position earlier.

However I cannot accept that there is a different "truth" for each person. Those are as subjective as you are claiming my assertions are.

I am not talking about some daft Plato like belief that their is the perfect ethereal something out there, just making a simple statement that "Thats your truth and this is my truth" is a flawed and dismissive form of argument is the debate over whether their is a god.

More than that it is incredibly stupid.

I agree that the term "truth" has been somewhat hijacked by the religious for their own ends and it is that very things that annoys me and was the subject of my original post.

I'm sorry. What was your point?

To make the point that this assertion:

is false.
    All of those things are either scientifically measurable and answerable "when will it rain (meterology and statistics), will I enjoy the 300 (statistics and psychology)" or they are opinions "which is a nicer color".

I didn't ask the first two questions:
    Scofflaw wrote:

I asked whether I specifically would enjoy 300, which is not determinable, since it will reflect a lot more than just statistics and psychology. Depends on what will happen on the day, whether I'm ill, etc etc, none of which science can predict.

I asked whether it will rain in Dalkey this day next year, a question that cannot be answered by science, because too many variables are involved. As far as I am aware, the sensitivity to initial conditions (aka chaos) in the system makes such a prediction impossible. Despite this, it will either rain in Dalkey this day next year or not - but science cannot answer the question.

It remains the case, whether the answer to some of these questions are opinions or not, that "to say that science cannot explain something or give an answer for something is to suggest that something has no explanation or answer" is entirely false.

Your statement is too inclusive - and you have already started modifying it by outting 'opinion' into a separate category.
    Science is a tool, one that can reveal information. Information is also a tool, one that allows us to understand the reality in which we live. Understanding is also a tool, when unbiased it allows us to understand the truth of reality.

You say it cant answer questions, but these questions you refer to are not questions so much as preferences. Science doesnt need to answer preferences.

You'll be telling me next that it doesn't need to address moral questions either. I didn't ask science to "answer" preferences, but to determine what my preferences are, which it can't do. I have also asked it to foretell the future, which it also cannot really do. Finally, I asked it to answer a moral/meaning question, which it can't even address.

You're welcome to simply dismiss such questions as meaningless, but you'll find as you grow up that they come up a lot more often than scientifically answerable questions - even for those of us who are scientists.
    Seriously ... what is your point?

That you're wrong - but hey, it's clear from the aggressive answers that you're not going to change your devout belief in science, so, enjoy.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    To make the point that this assertion:

is false.

I didn't ask the first two questions:

I asked whether I specifically would enjoy 300, which is not determinable, since it will reflect a lot more than just statistics and psychology. Depends on what will happen on the day, whether I'm ill, etc etc, none of which science can predict.

I asked whether it will rain in Dalkey this day next year, a question that cannot be answered by science, because too many variables are involved. As far as I am aware, the sensitivity to initial conditions (aka chaos) in the system makes such a prediction impossible. Despite this, it will either rain in Dalkey this day next year or not - but science cannot answer the question.

It remains the case, whether the answer to some of these questions are opinions or not, that "to say that science cannot explain something or give an answer for something is to suggest that something has no explanation or answer" is entirely false.

Your statement is too inclusive - and you have already started modifying it by outting 'opinion' into a separate category.

You'll be telling me next that it doesn't need to address moral questions either. I didn't ask science to "answer" preferences, but to determine what my preferences are, which it can't do. I have also asked it to foretell the future, which it also cannot really do. Finally, I asked it to answer a moral/meaning question, which it can't even address.

You're welcome to simply dismiss such questions as meaningless, but you'll find as you grow up that they come up a lot more often than scientifically answerable questions - even for those of us who are scientists.

That you're wrong - but hey, it's clear from the aggressive answers that you're not going to change your devout belief in science, so, enjoy.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The questions are paraphrased for convenience. The essence of them was preserved.

You are arguing that science cannot explain something. If it exists, then it can be explained scientifically, whether the science exists to do so is another matter.

You claim that is impossible to scientifically predict whether you will enjoy the 300 but you are wrong. Provided that all the pertinent facts are observed then it is possible to predict such things.

You argue that it is impossible to predict whether it will rain in Dalkey next year but again, provided with enough information it IS possible.

I stand by my point that saying that something cannot be explained is implying that it has no explanation. That it is a question with no answer. This is a fallacy. Given enough facts and information there is an answer to everything.

I didnt say science couldnt deal with preferences, just that it doesnt need to. And no, science has no actual obligation beyond society and the individual to deal with moral questions either.

As for aggressive statements, hypocrisy is not a very attractive trait in anyone, especially a scientist. I have the right to demand an explanation to someone undermining my argument, if you choose to take "whats your point?" as being aggressive and in the same sentence make allusions to my age, needing to grow up and being uneducated then you are only further compounding your errors.

You claim that is impossible to scientifically predict whether you will enjoy the 300 but you are wrong. Provided that all the pertinent facts are observed then it is possible to predict such things.

That one is possible, but the distance in advance that the question can be answered is so small as to make the answer almost meaningless.
    You argue that it is impossible to predict whether it will rain in Dalkey next year but again, provided with enough information it IS possible.

That one actually isn't. AFAIK, the calculations required to actually make such a prediction require more than the universe contains to calculate with. There are always going to be certain problems of such a non-linear type.
    I stand by my point that saying that something cannot be explained is implying that it has no explanation. That it is a question with no answer. This is a fallacy. Given enough facts and information there is an answer to everything.

I'm not sure that's even theoretically true - see non-P problems.
    I didnt say science couldnt deal with preferences, just that it doesnt need to. And no, science has no actual obligation beyond society and the individual to deal with moral questions either.

So your claim would be better phrased as "to say that science cannot explain something or give an answer for something, which it has an obligation to answer is to suggest that something has no explanation or answer".

Since "obligation to answer" is a little subjective (who obliges science?), we might be better to use "should be scientifically explicable/answerable" instead - but I feel that may reduce your phrase to a tautology.
    As for aggressive statements, hypocrisy is not a very attractive trait in anyone, especially a scientist. I have the right to demand an explanation to someone undermining my argument, if you choose to take "whats your point?" as being aggressive and in the same sentence make allusions to my age, needing to grow up and being uneducated then you are only further compounding your errors.

True. I regret those remarks, I retract those remarks, and I apologise for making them.

However, asking "what's your point?" is actually a snide way of saying I have no point, and repeating it twice was offensive. You also have no "right" to "demand" an explanation - you have the right to ask for one.

apologetically,
    but also offended,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Sorry, did you just claim that Gravity and Atomic Theory are not fact?
    Correct. Gravity is theory. So it atomic theory. Newton original's explaination for Gravity was exceptionally accurate but was never fact, it was falsified by Einstein and now his theory is the best theory we have on Gravity and yet to be falsified.
    If you don't mind me saying so, have a read of the scientific method.
    Your lingo is all wrong.
    You seemed to have a naieve understanding of the workings of science.
    It's ironic hearing you giving out about other people misusing words when that is exactly what you are doing. Pot, Kettle and black come to mind.
    Here are some links, I recommend reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Popper#Philosophy_of_Science
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Popper

Provided that all the pertinent facts are observed then it is possible to predict such things.

The conclusion here is based on the unproven asumption that its a deterministic system.

Quantum effects, as best we can determine, are non-deterministic. Unless our scientific model is wrong (which it may well be), it would be impossible to observe all pertinent facts.
    Again, based on an unproven assumption that the system is entirely deterministic. The sum effect of such tiny and apparently insignificant factors as how each person in the world moves over the coming year may well have an effect.

Thus, unless human behaviour in its entirety is deterministic, there is no way we can conclude that the weather is in turn deterministic....unless we can show that the model of weather patterns is entirely seperated from such "butterfly in China" effects. This, while possible, is contrary to the current scientific understanding.

So, is human behaviour deterministic? Current scientific thinking (as opposed to theory) says that it may be, but if it is, its beyond our capability to determine. Theory says that - once again - quantum effects mean that the system cannot be deterministic in nature.
    Given enough facts and information there is an answer to everything.
    Untrue.

I would suggest you read up on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem if you're not familiar with it, as it suggests that you are incorrect.

The (apparent) non-deterministic nature of Quantum uncertainty also suggests you are incorrect.

They're two might big opponents you're squaring yourself off against, taking a position that is contrary to some of the most fundamental positions in mathematics and physics.

Finally, surely you can see that you are still only expressing a belief about what might someday be possible...and are claiming that your belief is truth.

Scofflaw wrote:
    That one is possible, but the distance in advance that the question can be answered is so small as to make the answer almost meaningless.

That one actually isn't. AFAIK, the calculations required to actually make such a prediction require more than the universe contains to calculate with. There are always going to be certain problems of such a non-linear type.

I'm not sure that's even theoretically true - see non-P problems.

So your claim would be better phrased as "to say that science cannot explain something or give an answer for something, which it has an obligation to answer is to suggest that something has no explanation or answer".

Since "obligation to answer" is a little subjective (who obliges science?), we might be better to use "should be scientifically explicable/answerable" instead - but I feel that may reduce your phrase to a tautology.

True. I regret those remarks, I retract those remarks, and I apologise for making them.

However, asking "what's your point?" is actually a snide way of saying I have no point, and repeating it twice was offensive. You also have no "right" to "demand" an explanation - you have the right to ask for one.

apologetically,
    but also offended,
    Scofflaw

You said that it could not be predicted or answered by science. It can. You have admited as much yourself. Simply saying that we dont have the means to do so at the moment does not make my statement false.

As for non-P problems, as far as I know they are more to do with the argument over whether or not their is a god. God is a nonsense, a sociological construct, and it has nothign to do with my original point.

When I say "has no explanation" I mean just that. That there is no explanation discovered or discoverable for something - which by extention means that it has no substance to be observed, measured or quantified. Without substance, it cannot exist. At least not in our reality and franly I dont see how anyone can say that doesnt constitute a natural barrier.

An argument to the contrary is looking at the problem fro the wrong end of the telescope, it assumes that something exist that have no discoverable explanation and that this is a perfectly valid state to be in. It cant be.

My claim regarding the obligation of science is a little vague I admit, but frankly no more so than the subject of my original point.

Getting back to my original point though. The statement "That is your truth and this is my truth" is illogical and nonsensical. The truth is. It is not mutable. Once percieved, the idea of the truth or the comprehension of same may be skewed by the beholder, but this does not change its substance.

I realise that this is getting into the quantum now and I will get the uncertainty principal thrown at me but the OP was not about physics, it was about the illogical and redundant argument used by theists who cannot provide a decent, constructive, rebuttle to explanations of reality like evolution, the laws of gravity and thermo dynamics, physics, logic and reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I realise that this is getting into the quantum now and I will get the uncertainty principal thrown at me but the OP was not about physics, it was about the illogical and redundant argument used by theists who cannot provide a decent, constructive, rebuttle to explanations of reality like evolution, the laws of gravity and thermo dynamics, physics, logic and reason.

Why would a theist want to rebut the law of gravity?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

PDN wrote:
    Why would a theist want to rebut the law of gravity?
    It's not gravity, it's intelligent falling!

Advertisement