Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras - You are not above the law no matter where you are caught!

Options
  • 02-05-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Over the past few weeks since the new cameras have appeared on the M50 i have been looking at various threads here on Boards.ie, listening to radio stations, and driving on the M50 and i must say that i am bewildered and mightily pissed off at some of the attitudes that are being displayed by some people, typed, verbally and in practice, in relation to the above.

There seems to be a view held by a lot of people that the use of speed cameras, either fixed or mobile, in "easy target" areas such as the M50, stillorgan dual carriageway etc... are all instances of shooting fish in a barrel. There also seems to be a lot of people who feel hard done by when they are caught, or almost caught in these areas, just because they feel that these areas are easy targets, and that bewilders me immensely. Im not sure what goes on in some peoples heads but if you are caught speeding, AKA breaking the law, then you absolutely deserve to be caught and as for feeling hard done by? Tough sh*t, its totally irrelevant where you are caught speeding, what gives you the right to feel hard done by when you are caught breaking the law? Just because you feel that the road you are caught on is a - shooting fish in a barrel area - doesnt mean in any way that you deserve any more leniency in relation to speeding. You dont have the right to break the law, end of story...

FACT: A small percentage of serious road traffic accidents happen on motorways and dual carriageways.

Fair enough. Accepting the above fact as being true, i can see why people feel that putting cameras in these areas is shooting fish in a barrel, and also why people feel this is a money making racket. Also fair enough, but put aside the fact of the money for a moment, if the Gardaí are able to catch hundreds, even thousands of people on these roads, do you not think that that will be a few hundred more people who might have a better chance of getting the message about speeding? As i said earlier, its irrelevant where you are caught, the duallers are the same as the back roads in that respect, what on this earth gives you the right to be pissed off when you are caught speeding. I am quite sure that the people with these attitudes would be equally pissed off if they were caught on a minor road, so keep your ridiculous rationale to yourself and have a chat with yourself about what makes you think you deserve anything less than to be caught when you are speeding. To complain that the dualler is shooting fish in a barrel when you are caught is almost like saying "I expect to be treated differently than other people, i want to break the speed limit and get away with it...i cant believe the cheek of the law to catch me breaking the law, how dare they...". Typical a**hole attitude that is contributing to the ridiculous road deaths in this country.

As for the M50 cameras, if people stopped complaining for a minute to think, they would realise that its for SAFETY REASONS first and foremost that they were installed. Theres hundreds of people working within feet of the active roads and the lanes are narrower than usual in some places and also theres no hard shoulder to take evasive action in. So to complain about the cameras, which are there to keep you and others safe is showing a blatnt disregard for life. Some people in this country seem to have an inate opposition to the imposition of the traffic speed laws of this country and clearly dont give a sh*te about anyone except themselves, its NOT all about you, there are others in the world that matter too, not just yourself. YES the government or whoever will probably make a small fortune from the cameras on the M50 but its not the only way that money is being made in the country, you are only pissed off because it impinges on your aspirations to be above the law.

Now im sure that there are many people who would like to choke me for what i have said in this thread, and thats acceptable and predictable. I would be willing to bet that they would be the people i am speaking about in the first place. Having said that i am sure there are many people who will agree with me too, its just that the message boards seem to get clogged up with people complaining about the enforcement of the speeding laws. At the end of the day they are there to try and make the roads safer for everyone and stop our friends and relatives from being killed in RTA's.

One particular thread i read recently was talking about ways of detecting and outsmarting speed cameras with GPS systems, mobile phones etc... In that thread someone said that all these devices are used for "safety reasons" because speed cameras cause people to jam on and put others behind them at risk so you use your GPS etc... to detect the danger in advance. Boll**ks, people use them to avoid being caught speeding, they want to drive as fast as they want when they can and then slow down for cameras and then speed up again and resume breaking the law. ANyone who believes that these are primaily bought for the above safety reason is clearly deluded. Those people are in the absolute EDIT: minority (not majority).

Its a sad fact of this life, people want to speed and not get caught, simple as that, despite all the horrific deaths and adverts on TV and campaigns etc... it seldom makes a difference. That is very very sad indeed.

I think there should be FAR more speed cameras, but judging by the attitudes of some people in this country you would probably need to have them every 500 meters to make a difference, and even then im sure you would still find people with ridiculous attitudes who would still consider them selves above the law... Again, so sad...

I am just sick and tired of the whole situation, its so simple to just drive at the speed limits and get over it, so so simple...

Ill finish by referring to a thread where someone was complaining about a particular speed limit and saying that 10 - 15KMPH above the limit would be quite safe... That says it all, a blatant disregard for other peoples safety. Maybe its not much to you but i bet that 10KMPH would make a difference to a 10 year olds body if you hit them in your car driving at a speed YOU thought was safe!

End of rant for now, roll on the comments...

Rant Head

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Great, another thread about speed cameras. I'm not familar with the M50 or the cameras, but people do feel hard done by when there is a slight infraction of a speed limit. People, in general and myself included, have no problem with speed cameras used as a PART of the road safety strategy and used at locations that are dangerous. From my understanding the M50 cameras are there as there are roadworks ongoing and the reduction and enforcement of a speed limit is fair enough. People have issues with ridiclously low limits, on dual carriageways. Also, speed is relative. A speed camera will never catch a dangerous driver going under the limit, and in most cases such driving is far more dangerous then going over the limit. Speed limits are made up on a county or national basis and often do not reflect the conditions of the road, ie they are too high or low in cases.

Finally, speed detection is only one minor part in reducing road deaths. Driver training, more guards on the roads to catch dangerous drivers and improved road conditions combined with safer cars all have as much of a part to play in reducing road accidents. I think I have explained my point correctly, roll on the abuse, the slaggings and general pig headedness that usually accompanies such threads..........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

astraboy wrote:
    Great, another thread about speed cameras.

I think I have explained my point correctly, roll on the abuse, the slaggings and general pig headedness that usually accompanies such threads..........:p

I know there is a load of threads about Speed Cameras, i sat for a few minutes deliberating how to pitch it but it does my head in so much that i just had to post it :eek:. I do hereby swear never to make another new thread about speed cameras... :cool:.

As for the second part of the quote, im waiting for the onslaught after 6pm this evening, it will be messy :rolleyes:.

Thread Head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

So your not familiar with the M50 or the speed camera's yet it bugs you when people complain about getting caught speeding on M50. Easy option is

1/ Don't read any M50 threads

2/ Don't read any speeding threads

Save yourself getting stressed out :D

The fact is mate that people on both sides of the debate have entrenched views. I may disagree with you on parts of your point but am willing to say that speed limits are important and have their place. What gets me is people believeing that speed limits and their enforcement alone will reduce the road deaths, when the issue is far more complex and there are many more faceuts to road safety. Like I said, speed is relative to the conditions, your car and the road you are on. Blanket speed limits are often too low on many roads and too high on others. If people were trained to drive at a safe speed then there would not be an issue. Case in point the many accidents a few weeks back in the fog when people did not adjust their speed for the conditions. Saying a particular speed is safe, and going mildly over it warrants a flogging is pure ignorance to the way speed limits are made IMO. A county council offical in a office decides a certain speed will be put in place in an area, often to do with planning considerations more then safety. This speed is then "OK" but anything over it makes you a horrible unwanted member of society.

D'ont get me wrong, I'm not condonig blitzing speed limits, I would just perfer if they made more sense in partricular areas. Also, if people in Ireland were better trained keeping to the speed limits would not be a problem. The amount of bad driving I have seen by people going 10KPH under the limit is crazy, yet a person safetly passing out a car, that chooses to go 10KPH over the limit to end the manover in a more efficient manner(ie spending less time on the right side of the road!) is the enemy. There is far too much generalization in such a debate and each situation is different.

Also, I think people have a problem with cameras replacing guardi on the roads. There is no substituate for actual policing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Let me lay it out for you.

As you've said we don't have that many accidents on the M50. Yet we throw speed cams up all over it. Why? What would be the most likely reason? Safety? I think not, revenue seems more like it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Here we go again.

The M50 is, IIRC, 60km/hr nowadays cos the roadworks is that right? Bearing in mind its still 2 lanes of traffic each way. Take a trip out to Roscommon/Mayo, there's some deadly stretches of country road out there set at 80km/hr.

Yet the speed traps are on the M50. If anyone can explain that logic to me I'd be glad to listen, but its typical to the govt's so-so attitude to the issue.

Yes, if above the limit you are caught. But it is also shooting fish in a barrel. All we're asking is reasonable limits and balanced enforcement, which starts at the top.

Savman wrote:
    Here we go again.

The M50 is, IIRC, 60km/hr nowadays cos the roadworks is that right? Bearing in mind its still 2 lanes of traffic each way. Take a trip out to Roscommon/Mayo, there's some deadly stretches of country road out there set at 80km/hr.

Yet the speed traps are on the M50. If anyone can explain that logic to me I'd be glad to listen, but its typical to the govt's so-so attitude to the issue.

Yes, if above the limit you are caught. But it is also shooting fish in a barrel. All we're asking is reasonable limits and balanced enforcement, which starts at the top.

Gotta agree here man.

astraboy wrote:
    Saying a particular speed is safe, and going mildly over it warrants a flogging is pure ignorance to the way speed limits are made IMO.

It does warrant a flogging (as such) if someone goes above a speed limit by a few KMs if that few KMs is difference between someone being dead or alive after an impact. That aspect is very much part of the decision making progress in relating to setting speed limits... There was a brilliant advert on TV a while back that illustrated this...

My main point is about peoples attitudes more than anything else, not specific ways of catching people etc... I know i did refer to being in favour of more cameras at the end of my OP but for the most part its peoples attitudes that need to change in relation to speeding, and unless that changes then theres very little hope for improvement...

People are already jumping on the "money making scam" bandwagon in relation to the M50 cameras, SO WHAT if they generate money. They are also catching people who break the law, isnt that worthwhile? It might make them think twice about speeding on other roads in the future...

And yes the M50 is still 2 lanes, but crucially without a hard shoulder (which gives people a better chance of avoiding an accident) and inches away from workmen, i cant see how people can say thats not a safety issue in relation to the speed limits and the cameras... Granted i slammed the safety issue in relation to GPS systems to detect cameras but i think everyone knows that safety is not the paramount reason why people invest in these systems...

Attitude Head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Cracking, another high horse speeding thread.
    it impinges on your aspirations to be above the law
    and
    and even then im sure you would still find people with ridiculous attitudes who would still consider them selves above the law... Again, so sad...
    Are you telepathic, as you seem to know what other people want or desire :rolleyes: ?
    Sometimes I speed, most of the time I don't, I don't think I'm Judge Dredd

Gatster wrote:
    Are you telepathic, as you seem to know what other people want or desire :rolleyes: ?
    Sometimes I speed, most of the time I don't, I don't think I'm Judge Dredd

No im not telepathic but i have seen enough carnage on the roads and heard enough from people to know that there are definitely individuals who feel that they are above the law, and i think that is bad.

Not Telepathic Head :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Head wrote:
    etc etc etc
    You're really wasting your time with this IMHO, it's been done to death (scuse the pun:o) and you'll just give yourself a headache.
    If it makes you happy to stay under the limit then fair play, you'll never get a speeding fine. But from what I've seen the very people who hold up right lane traffic on motorways and dual carriageways because of their holier-than-thou attitude to speeding, are the very same morons who happily ignore the 50km/hr limit in residential areas. Go figure :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Head wrote:
    It does warrant a flogging (as such) if someone goes above a speed limit by a few KMs if that few KMs is difference between someone being dead or alive after an impact. That aspect is very much part of the decision making progress in relating to setting speed limits... There was a brilliant advert on TV a while back that illustrated this...

My main point is about peoples attitudes more than anything else, not specific ways of catching people etc... I know i did refer to being in favour of more cameras at the end of my OP but for the most part its peoples attitudes that need to change in relation to speeding, and unless that changes then theres very little hope for improvement...

People are already jumping on the "money making scam" bandwagon in relation to the M50 cameras, SO WHAT if they generate money. They are also catching people who break the law, isnt that worthwhile? It might make them think twice about speeding on other roads in the future...

And yes the M50 is still 2 lanes, but crucially without a hard shoulder (which gives people a better chance of avoiding an accident) and inches away from workmen, i cant see how people can say thats not a safety issue in relation to the speed limits and the cameras... Granted i slammed the safety issue in relation to GPS systems to detect cameras but i think everyone knows that safety is not the paramount reason why people invest in these systems...

Attitude Head

Load of crap, camera's on the M50 do not save lives as M50 is not a deathtrap. Look at that new speeding ad with the bloke & girlfriend at the wall (after 9pm watershed). This accident is someone overtaking at speed on a COUNTRY road, not the M50 or any dual carraigeway/motorwat. Even the RSA who made this ad & are always highlighting the dangers of speeding are pointing out that it is country roads where this causes death.
    So why arent more cameras put on rural roads?? simple, govt makes more money where the highest traffic numbers are, not where the highest deaths are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭omega man

Head wrote:
    One particular thread i read recently was talking about ways of detecting and outsmarting speed cameras with GPS systems, mobile phones etc... In that thread someone said that all these devices are used for "safety reasons" because speed cameras cause people to jam on and put others behind them at risk so you use your GPS etc... to detect the danger in advance. Boll**ks, people use them to avoid being caught speeding, they want to drive as fast as they want when they can and then slow down for cameras and then speed up again and resume breaking the law. ANyone who believes that these are primaily bought for the above safety reason is clearly deluded. Those people are in the absolute majority.

Why then are speed camera detection devices etc legal over in the UK? Surely the point of the speed camera is to slow cars down and not to catch them in the act so detecting or warning devices will have the same effect and ensure people slow down in advance of the high risk area, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

omega man wrote:
    Why then are speed camera detection devices etc legal over in the UK?
    They won't be for long. There's legislation currently going through parliament that will outlaw these. GPS based devices to warn of fixed cameras will remain legal though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Keith C wrote:
    Load of crap, camera's on the M50 do not save lives as M50 is not a deathtrap.
    I actually agree with the two new cameras on the M50.
    Prior to their introduction there was very little heed paid to the speed limit (I will even put my own hand up there!). Apparently some drivers were waaay over 120km/h never mind 60km/h!
    However, the workers on the other side of the armco do have the right to work in a relatively safe environment. Fair enough they are not there at night to the same extent that they are during daytime but they are there!
    Furthermore, to those who suggest that the limits could be upped at off-peak hours - the driving lane is in a fairly poor condition and not suitable for the speeds that many would like to try doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Alun wrote:
    GPS based devices to warn of fixed cameras will remain legal though.
    ...yep, and now that you can have it in your phone, that battle is already over..........

OP - I'll (try) and overlook the hyper-ventilating come-all-ye about speed cameras. I know, you know, and the Garda know, they are for revenue. End of story. It's taken a while, but at least in the UK, that's all about to change, as the local authorities are no longer allowed to keep the fines.........you just watch the local authorities lose interest in the subject once there's no more money in them........

I will agree though, that the reason for all the temp ones, is worker safety, and in that respect, I have no issue. Dressing it up as something else, I do have a problem with.......

Oh, and why was that 10 yr old child on the motorway, anyway? Where's his/her mother ?? ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    I will agree though, that the reason for all the temp ones, is worker safety, and in that respect, I have no issue. Dressing it up as something else, I do have a problem with.......

Oh, and why was that 10 yr old child on the motorway, anyway? Where's his/her mother ?? ;)

Well said, its quite obviously for safety reasons. As well as the fact (that everyone seems to be ignoring in their rants about money making) that theres no hard shoulder, and thats for DRIVER safety, yes that would be the government looking out for us, shock horror... I bet that if there was no monetary fine for speeding and just penalty points people would still be complaining.

Not sure about that 10 year old though, i think her parents went bombing off at 61KMPH :o.

Monetary Head

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think astraboy's post sums it up best.

I'm definitely for speed cameras where they're needed. (Including the current M50 ones by the roadworks even). I was also delighted to see the gardaí moved their speed check from the soft target 60kph zone on the Finglas Road of just after the Jamestown Road roundabout, to further on down the road with the traffic lights and built-up areas, where the limit is still 60kph but you really wouldn't want to be going anywhere above that. You see maniacal ***** racing down there all the time.

I don't approve of the "that area has a very low accident rate, but lots of people going fast so let's put cameras there and kaching kaching" approach to placement though.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Keith C wrote:
    Load of crap, camera's on the M50 do not save lives as M50 is not a deathtrap. Look at that new speeding ad with the bloke & girlfriend at the wall (after 9pm watershed). This accident is someone overtaking at speed on a COUNTRY road, not the M50 or any dual carraigeway/motorwat. Even the RSA who made this ad & are always highlighting the dangers of speeding are pointing out that it is country roads where this causes death.
    So why arent more cameras put on rural roads?? simple, govt makes more money where the highest traffic numbers are, not where the highest deaths are.

Yes the government makes more money but also more people are caught, thus hopefully getting across the message to more people... Speeding is speeding, as i have said a million times...

I totally agree that there should be more cameras on rural roads, but the fact of the matter is that there isnt, and we have to put up with what we have currently...

We all know the M50 (as per OP) is not a deathtrap but with all the action on it currently if the limit still was 120KMPH there would be carnage IF there was an accident, transfer the accident near loughlinstown a few weeks ago to a section of the M50 with roadworks and you would have had a disaster... They dont happen often on the M50 but why not minimise the extent of a prospective accident by having a reduced speed limit while roadworks are in place...

Currently Head

*** Quite apt signature by the way Stark:

It's all fun and games until someone loses a kid

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A point the OP misses is that speed cameras are next to useless in catching the scumbag speeding with a stolen/uninsured/untaxed car. Therefore for the most part untraceable and guess what.......above the law:rolleyes: astraboy hit the nail on the head when he said there was no substitute for actual policing

• Advertisement

Head wrote:
    Yes the government makes more money but also more people are caught, thus hopefully getting across the message to more people... Speeding is speeding, as i have said a million times...

The idea that "making an example of" speeders in high traffic areas will affect the habits of drivers throughout the country is a total fallacy. You only have to take a trip up North to see how ineffective their speed camera network is in getting people in general to slow down. They're just as ineffective in mainland UK and in fact have made things worse as they've been used as substitutes of actual traffic police instead of as an aid.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

the m50 is a death trap at the moment, are people blind? there are workmen working inches away from cars doing well over the 60km limit. has anyone notices the amount of pot holes on these roads from the road works that are happening. has anyone else noticed the amount of lorries since the ban in the city? let face it, the m50 (where the road works are) is not a safe road at the moment. how many of you would work on the side of a road like that with traffic sometimes going over 100km by you? the issue here is saftey. saftey of the workmen and safty of other drivers. have a bit of respect.

Jimoslimos wrote:
    astraboy hit the nail on the head when he said there was no substitute for actual policing

Im genuinely not being smart when i ask what do people mean in reference to "actual policing"? Do ya mean people out with mobile cameras or is it a more general policing thing in relation to wider aspects of motoring?

Also educating people has been mentioned a few times, this would be a huge benefit to all involved, its criminal that there is not better education in the area considering all the carnage around the place...

Education Head

Head wrote:
    Im genuinely not being smart when i ask what do people mean in reference to "actual policing"? Do ya mean people out with mobile cameras or is it a more general policing thing in relation to wider aspects of motoring

People do all kinds of crazy **** while staying within the speed limit. None of which can be caught by a camera. Speed may make an accident worse, but it's bad driving that causes the accident in the first place. I'd rather be on a road with an enforced maximum speed of 200kph* and good drivers than one with an enforced maximum speed of 60kph and bad drivers.

*Logic being that the good drivers will probably stick to 60kph when appropriate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Savman wrote:

I'll have a go.

Firstly, as you are no doubt aware, the 80 kph limit is not applied to those country road stretches indvidually, it's a blanket limit based upon road classification. This is a pragmatic approach which takes cognisance of the fact that to individually assess each road in the country and implement the necessary bye-laws to apply a suitable limit to them would occupy the road design offices of the various local authorities for the next decade or so. It's a compromise and, as a result, sure there are roads out there which aren't suitable for an 80 kph limit, like the boreens which are the width of one car (should have lower limits applied), and the sections of old national primary which have been bypassed and escaped regional road classification (should have higher limits applied) but, as is oft stated, it is a maximum speed limit, not a recommendation of what speed to travel the road at.

Many of the roads in question, and I'll return to the example of the bog boreen type scenarion, aren't heavily trafficed, and when they are, the majority of traffic using them is locally sourced and is familiar with the road. This, and other similar factors, means that generally the roads are comparitively low risk and makes the compromise outlined above tenable.

There are undoubtedly many exceptions to the above, but looking at the issue nationally, I think it's a fair assessment.

The 60 kph limit has been imposed on the M50 due to the works. It's a standard occurance at roadworks around the country and, apart from traffic safety consideration, it is likely to be tied into insurance, health and safety, and legal considerations for the contractor.

However, in contrast to the majority of situations, on the M50 they are being enforced. Usually a contractor, or the local authority, doesn't go through the red tape involved in implementing a special speed limit, as the time and work involved isn't worth it for works that will be of short duration, and in relatively low traffic conditions.

The works on the M50 obviously don't qualify under either of the above categories; the works will last for a number of years, and it's the most heavily trafficed road in the country, and indeed one of the most heavily trafficed in Europe for a two lane road (2x2).

A condition of the contract was that both lanes would have to be maintained in operation for the duration of the works. For works as complex as those underway, and in such a constricted site, it's impossible to completely isolate construction traffic from live traffic, which leads to situations such as the right hand lane merging of loaded trucks with live traffic, roads-sweepers mingling with live traffic, etc. that can be observed on the site. It would be untenable to have a limit above 60kph in situations such as this.

Given the importance of the M50 artery to the city, by extension to the economy of the country and, in one further leap, politically, it's vitally important that traffic on the road be kept moving as much as possible. Again, given the contricted conditions in which traffic is now operating, i.e. the absense of hard shoulders, the narrow width of the lanes, etc. one crash can paralyse the road. If this crash occurs at 30kph or under, as the majority do at the moment, it's a big problem, but it's relatively easily cleared. If it occurs at higher speeds, there's a very high potential for multiple vehicles being involved, carriageway closures and, as a result, city-wide traffic meltdown. One such event has an almost measurable economic cost, and a very high real cost to thousands of commuters who don't get home, or to work if its the morning, for an extra hour or two. There is also the potential for large crashes to encroach upon the site and be fatal or injurious to workers.

It is therefore crucial that if the limits aren't being observed, that they be enforced. Much more crucial, in terms of the greater good, than carrying out speed traps on dangerous sections of road in Roscommon or Mayo.

I believe that the fact that the cameras were only introduced recently is indicative of the fact that the government were hesitant to do so originally, for fear of the 'fish in a barrell' arguments. I think their preference would be to enforce the limits only during site working and peak traffic hours. However to do this would require roadside traps and pulling cars over, a situation which would only exacerbate the already atrocious traffic conditions during those times. Cameras are therefore the most viable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Head wrote:
    Im genuinely not being smart when i ask what do people mean in reference to "actual policing"? Do ya mean people out with mobile cameras or is it a more general policing thing in relation to wider aspects of motoring?
    The latter, obviously.

The fact that on practically every journey I make by car, regardless of distance or duration, I see at least one example of stupid, reckless, idiotic driver behaviour, means that a single undercover traffic corps car could catch a dozen or more a day with no trouble at all. And, as others, have pointed out, these people are rarely 'speeding', usually the exact opposite in fact.

Bravo impr0v, a tremendously well thought out and written post. I still cannot understand how people can deny that the 60KMPH limit being for safety reasons though. Hopefully after your informative post it will be without argument...

@ Alun: Speaking of which, undercover cars that is. I have noticed quite a few pull-ins of that nature in the past couple of months, particularly on the more southern parts of the motorway! Long may it last...

South Head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭omega man

Head wrote:
    Bravo impr0v, a tremendously well thought out and written post. I still cannot understand how people can deny that the 60KMPH limit being for safety reasons though. Hopefully after your informative post it will be without argument...

@ Alun: Speaking of which, undercover cars that is. I have noticed quite a few pull-ins of that nature in the past couple of months, particularly on the more southern parts of the motorway! Long may it last...

South Head

I dont think many people will argue against those temp m50 cameras but i cant understand why the real black spots are ignored. I lived in meath for a couple of years and my drive to and from work at dublin airport over those years saw garda speed checks on the n3 (dual) and gatso's on the m1 approaching the airport! I drive a lot and seem to only see checks/camera's on quality road systems while cars do ridiculous speeds on country back roads with no chance of being caught except by the reaper himself! Also i dislike people with high and mighty attitudes as i can 100% guarantee that everyone will exceed a speed limit at some stage in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Bad roads are ignored, back roads are 80 kph, N4 is 80 kph, a fine dual-carraigeway. I'm with astraboy. Money racket.

• Advertisement

omega man wrote:
    Also i dislike people with high and mighty attitudes as i can 100% guarantee that everyone will exceed a speed limit at some stage in their lives.

If that is directed at me... Yes i have exceeded the speed limits in my life, but i dont now and i that makes a difference to my safety and that safety of my wife and my baby when they are in my car. Also if i crash into someone i hopefully wont do as much damage as i would have at a time when i did exceed the speed limits... If that gives me a high and mighty attitude then so be it.

Theres no point dwelling on if a person used to speed or not in the past, its what people are doing now to improve road safety that matters.

Mighty Head

Advertisement