Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deutsch Heute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

yes...and while I was not subjected to the book, I was subjected to hordes of Irish people trying out the German they learnt in that book...

Gehen Sie die erste Strasse links...

*aaargh*

(Problems arose when the Bahnhof was not exactly where "it should have been" ;-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

lol quality stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

That's excellent. I wonder though what the Germans thought when he said he was doing a tour of his 1980s German book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Was that the book which had some strange medieval comic strip in it (no translation)? I recall something about dragon blood and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

God yeah, that's still the only entire german sentence i have retained perfectly (Wie kommen ich am besten zum bahnhof?) lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

missmatty wrote:
    God yeah, that's still the only entire german sentence i have retained perfectly (Wie kommen ich am besten zum bahnhof?) lol :D
    Correction! Almost perfectly. :D I remember that book well. Remember, Working with German?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yep I remember DH.

I didn't learn much German but I remember I was in love with the girl on page 106 (or was it 104?) for about a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My mid 70s German book had the pereniially useful phrase "Das Auto ist leider kaputt, sehen Sie ihn bitte an, und reparieren Sie es, wenn es möglich ist".
    Or something like that.

I am waiting here since ten minutes, when do I become a sausage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I become the steak, please...;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Pigman II wrote:
    Yep I remember DH.

I didn't learn much German but I remember I was in love with the girl on page 106 (or was it 104?) for about a year.
    Would this be the young Fräulein by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Franzi!
    God, all the memories are flooding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Wow , I am only know remembering why I always find places in Germany in relation to the hauptbahnhof.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

carrotcake wrote:
    Those of you who did German in school around the mid 90s probably remember the book Deutsch Heute, originator of the immortal line, "Wie komme ich am besten zum Bahnhof?" The book was all based in one town, Saarbrücken, so I went there to see the place (and the Bahnhof) for real! Check the links below...

Zum Bahnhof?

Um die ecke!

that's all i remember from 1st year German!
    Love the Deutsch Heute pics!

carrotcake wrote:
    Would this be the young Fräulein by any chance?

Yep that's her. Bitte sehr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Was that the book which had some strange medieval comic strip in it (no translation)? I recall something about dragon blood and the like.
    Yeah thats what I remember most about it. Plus the fact that it was 1995 when we started using it and it still had east and west germany in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Franzi was the Pig that popped up in the middle of chapters to make observations,

siegfried was the Medieval charachter, I think they lived in Niebelungenland,

he was invincible, from being dipped in Drachensblut, except for the bit on his back where a leaf was stuck to him at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anyone remember the tape that was with one of the workbooks? All I remember from it is "Meine nama ist Udo Bekman".

Then of course there was Vox Populi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Vox Populi :D the legends!

I only wish that I had found Deutsch Heute as interesting as this when I was in school and then maybe my German would be better now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Rofl!!

Nice one carrotcake! That brought back memories of how much I HATED studying german! We used that book in first and 2nd year (1999-2001) then upgraded to DH 2 for 3rd year. It had a blue cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I remember they were all mad Kiss fans. Thats all I remembered from German class. They like bad music and schloss is castle. or river.

oh, and of course my personal fave-Zahnpaste :D

• Advertisement

Franzi was the Pig that popped up in the middle of chapters to make observations,

siegfried was the Medieval charachter, I think they lived in Niebelungenland,

he was invincible, from being dipped in Drachensblut, except for the bit on his back where a leaf was stuck to him at the time
    Well remembered! I had a scan of one of the pages. You can see it here. I love the perfect position of the decapitated head.

The story of the Niebelunglied is actually taught to all German kids, and there's a Niebelunglied museum in the town of Worms, one of the oldest towns in Germany. I took a trip there, and it's pretty good. You're given headphones, and walk around the different video displays. Some of the old town wall is part of the museum too.

Faith wrote:
    Nice one carrotcake! That brought back memories of how much I HATED studying german! We used that book in first and 2nd year (1999-2001) then upgraded to DH 2 for 3rd year. It had a blue cover.
    I never had Deutsch Heute 2 in school, but I recently got hold of a copy, and I have to say it's nothing compared to the original! Different illustrators, so the continuation of das Niebelunglied and Fränzi looked all different! And strangely, there were drawn copies of photographs from DH1. :confused:

Yep, when someone says "du kannst meine Schwester heirarten", well boy you better heirarten and no mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

carrotcake wrote: »
    Those of you who did German in school around the mid 90s probably remember the book Deutsch Heute, originator of the immortal line, "Wie komme ich am besten zum Bahnhof?" The book was all based in one town, Saarbrücken, so I went there to see the place (and the Bahnhof) for real! Check the links below...

Deutsch Heute Pilgrimage - An Overture
    Deutsch Heute Pilgrimage - Day 1
    Deutsch Heute Pilgrimage - Day 2
    Deutsch Heute Pilgrimage - Teil Zwei

This popped in to my head this morning and I did several Google searches before I found the right search phrase.

The links above seem to have expired with the passage of time. Perhaps the OP has posted them somewhere else?

(And in case anyone complains about dragging up old posts, this is the 'All Things Retro' forum, is it not?) :D

It looks like the posts disappeared when MySpace changed their site. :(

I think I have a backup somewhere, though. I'll have a look around, and will post it up if I find it. The legend cannot die!

...And here it is: http://deutschheute.tumblr.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Hah! That brings me right back, didn't this series of books have its own rock/pop band characters, think it was 'Vox Populi'?!!?

Edit: Yes I see they do indeed feature in your exceptionally comprehensive blog, thanks for the memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

carrotcake wrote: »

Einfach Klasse! Vielen Dank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

That looks excellent, thanks for that. Brought back a lot of late 90 memories.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 monocleman

This thread brings back so many memories. There was the pretend opinion poll on Vox Populi, in which the choices were Gut (thumbs up), Nicht Schlecht (thumb sideways), Schlecht (thumbs down) and Furchtbar (two thumbs down). There was also a bit about FC Saarbrucken, who looked like the most boring football team in the world.

The part about Kaffee und Kuchen looked so appetising that I made sure to do it when I went on a trip to Germany a few years ago. It was very nice, even though it was in Karstadt rather than an actual coffee shop.

Advertisement