Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed boat.

Options
  • 29-04-2007 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a speed boat in the next coulpe of weeks. It must be suitable to ski off (mono) and seat 4 people comfortably. I reckon anything over 60bhp. Hoping to get a good second hand one with all the accessories. (jackets, ski, trailer etc).

Has anyone any advice or suggestions on where to buy from.

thanks,

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Check out apolloduck.ie but always get the boat surveyed if possible. If the seller objects walk away. You can't be too careful with the engines and transoms on some boats. Will it be used on lakes or in the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ChoKuRay

Check out apolloduck.ie but always get the boat surveyed if possible. If the seller objects walk away. You can't be too careful with the engines and transoms on some boats. Will it be used on lakes or in the sea?

thanks for that the boat will be mainly used on the sea. As I live on the coast it makes the best use for it. however we will probably have occassion to bring it on to lakes too.

Thanks again. I will def get a survey done.

Go for one with a deep V hull shape as this will cut through the waves. also check out some Ribs as these tend to be a bit more stable in chop and won't be too bad if swamped by a wave. Don't go for a flat bottomed or shallow v boats for the sea, it will tend to slam in waves, these boats are really only for lakes.

Pigeon Reaper,

Checked out a few web sites and have saw something that caught my eye
    http://sportboats.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=48551. Sound like its been well maintained and there's a few extras. So it's off to NI soon to take a look. fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

O.K

It's a nice looking boat but don't expect to be able to use it in any type of waves. You'll need close to flat water. You could try talking to some of the people on powerboat.ie for advise. some of them are professional instructors etc and they are willing to give help to starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I had one of those (a few years older) with an 80hp Mercury and loved it.
    Admittedly it was in bad condition (the boat) when I bought it and needed a lot of work but it was great as a starter ski boat.
    I used it mainly on lakes, or on open seas when it was calm. There's not much pleasure in skiing in lumpy sea conditions (IMHO), and anything smaller than a deep-v 20ft powerboat will always be uncomfortable in that kind of sea at speed.

The 75hp will be fine for what you want, but you may find that leaving one or two of your pals on the beach will help you get out of the water onto the skis quicker - to impress the cute female passenger you allow onboard!

Scaldybelt,

Great to hear I haven't made a mistake with this little purchase. Deposit has been sent and collection soon.

I have skied from similar boats so I am very confident about this one. The history behind this one is excellent. Current owner has owned it form 1yr old and has only been used approx for 2-3 wks per year. The boat is only used on their holidays in NI. Full service history and receipts with a 3 mth warranty.

Thanks

By the way, I intend to be that 'cute female passanger'. Now all I need is a skipper!

:o
    Hi Orla,

I should have paid more attention to your username! lol
    No doubt you'll be fighting off the boyo's on the shore!

I just inherited a deep-v 16ft with a 70hp engine at the weekend. However, as with my previous boat, it needs a few months TLC to get it back smiling on the water, so that's my project this summer sorted.

Best of luck with the new boat.

scaldybelt wrote:
    :o
    Hi Orla,

I should have paid more attention to your username! lol
    No doubt you'll be fighting off the boyo's on the shore!

I just inherited a deep-v 16ft with a 70hp engine at the weekend. However, as with my previous boat, it needs a few months TLC to get it back smiling on the water, so that's my project this summer sorted.

Best of luck with the new boat.

Thanks for that. And best of luck in your new vessel too.!

Any chance you know of some lakes around suitable for water skiiing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 extremewipeout

We head up to Lough Derg a few weekends a year - Its a great spot, you can always find somewhere calm to wake.We used to stay at a campsite outside killaloe which has a marina where u can leave your boat for the duration. Unfortunately though they're building holiday homes on the campsite :(
    . Where are you planning to ski?

• Advertisement

I side with extremewipeout. We used to go to that campsite a few years ago with my first boat.
    I always had the pleasure of launching the boat in Killaloe and taking it up the lake to the campsite - great way to blow the weeks 'office cr@p' out of your hair before settling down to a few nice beers.

By then everyone else had the tents up and chairs out.

Apart from that, I'm considering looking at Lough Ree with this boat as I'm living closer to there nowadays.

It all depends on which part of the country you live in and how often/far you're willing to drive. There's no laes of any use in the East/SouthEast.

Thanks guys for the info. We used to ski down in Terrygals years ago. It was great. Back in the good auld days but with work, kids and generally the onset of middle age we just got out of the whole scene, but hey I'm back and I have a tent so the country is my oyster now,. Hoping to get the kiddies into it aswell. Will prob give it another try again. We are in Wicklow so its a fair haul. But as we are a stones throw from the harbour we will prob be out in sea more.

All ready to collect the boat the weekend so I am sure we have an exciting summer ahead.

thanks again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Loch ennell is good for skiing also.. you need to know the right spots though alot of rocks..

I have a 3ltr v6 hamilton j53.

good fun!! best of luck with the boat. I'd recommend joining club powerboat.ie - its good for resources and advice.

stifz wrote:
    Loch ennell is good for skiing also.. you need to know the right spots though alot of rocks..

I have a 3ltr v6 hamilton j53.

good fun!! best of luck with the boat. I'd recommend joining club powerboat.ie - its good for resources and advice.

thanks stifz,
    have already joined powerboat.ie and have used it for info too. Very good.

Orla_Keogh,

Just wondering if the slipways in the harbour in Wicklow (either at the Sailing Club or by the timber works opposite) are still free to use for launching retrieving?

I lived in the town for 15 years when growing up and would consider popping back with the new boat on a nice day for a blast up the Murrough or south to Silver Strand.

Haven't been back in donkeys years.

Scaldybelt,

Well my hubby will prob check out the Wicklow slips in the morning. We collected the boat today so will be anxious to take it for its maiden voyage. By 'free' do you mean in monatary terms or access. I wasn't aware of a charge and we have used the slip at the harbour (sailing club) for a jet ski before on more htan one occassioon, without charge. The other slip at the west pier is sometimes hard to get to as cars tend to block it up.

I'll let you know how we get on though. :)

Advertisement