Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] New bus trams set for trials

Options
  • 29-04-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=23203-qqqx=1.asp
    New bus trams set for trials
    29 April 2007 By Nicola Cooke

Pilot schemes for bus trams, which can carry 149 passengers in designated bus lanes, will start in Cork and Galway in three months’ time.

Bus Eireann is carrying out a feasibility study on the 18-metre vehicle, which run on diesel and are biofuel compatible.

The Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) system, as it is officially known, is in use in York and Leeds in England, Eindhoven in Holland, and parts of Canada and the United States.

Bus Eireann believes the trams could provide an efficient service on high-density routes, such as those serving third-level institutions or hospitals. One of the routes which may be piloted in Galway is the city centre to Ballybrit service during the Galway Races.

The vehicles do not need overhead lines or tracks, so have only one tenth the infrastructure costs of the Luas light rail system in Dublin. Each bus tram costs from €500,000.

Bus Eireann spokeswoman Erica Roseingrave said BRT had all the benefits of a conventional tram system, but at a fraction of the cost.

‘‘We have engaged independent transport experts to do a feasibility study, and we expect to have a trial of the trams in the summer.

‘‘We will submit proposals to the Department of Transport this autumn, and it is hoped that the first dedicated BRT services will be in place by next autumn.

‘‘The reason Galway and Cork have been picked for the pilot is because they are medium-sized cities which already have good bus priority lanes,” she said.

‘‘Limerick and Waterford don’t have extensive bus corridors.

‘‘We will, however, be road-testing a BRT vehicle in Limerick tomorrow, when we announce an expansion of the Bus Eireann services there.”

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Nice any Pics....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Not in Ireland but what our money should be spent on! Get the people on to public transport which is efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Sounds like a bit of a cop-out to me, but I have long been against LUAS for Cork (maybe Galway) on the grounds that it would be hugely expensive and unwarrented.

Would be interesting to see how this goes, but I would be interested to see an 18m vehicle trying to navigate the streets near Eyre Square in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

no overheard lines.
    no rails.
    runs on diesel.
    uses the bus lane.

excuse me if im missing something but is this just a bus?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

subway wrote:

I think you are oversimplifying it,I would call it a big bus...a very big bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

perhaps,
    how big is one of these things?
    are we talking bigger than a "bendy bus" in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Makes you wonder why they scrapped the trams all those years ago

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't get it, how is it a tram if it doesn't have tram lines or overhead power and runs on diesel. This is just a bus. Might be a bigger bus, but it is still a bus.

This sort of BS makes my blood boil. This is just more electioneering. This is just some silly trail that won't go anywhere. What Cork needs (and probably Galway, but I'm from Cork, so I'll stick with what I know). Is a vastly improved bus service which is closer to DB then the rubbish service we currently have.

What we need id the number of bus and drivers to be immediately doubled, so that they can run more routes and far greater frequency. Also BE needs a good kick up their butt on operating practise, no more parking in Patrick St and on the quays for 30 minutes, you stop, passengers board quickly and you leave. There should be a bus every 10 minutes, 15 minutes max off peak.

You do this and you can fix most of Corks public transport problems. But it requires real investment right now. Instead they set up some stupid limited trail, just so they can say to the voter that they are doing something, when it is simply a smoke screen to continue to do nothing and underinvest in what works. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

‘‘We will, however, be road-testing a BRT vehicle in Limerick tomorrow, when we announce an expansion of the Bus Eireann services there.”

Excellent - maybe they are planning on not leaving people standing at bus stops, or having >45 minute gaps between buses on a supposedly 15 minute block schedule.

...is that a flying pig I just saw go by?

Their previous solution to having a single deck bus arrive at bus stops with crowds to fill two or more buses was to put patronising little stickers asking people to queue nicely (stretching the limits of people's social nicities just a tad to do so when they've been waiting over half an hour and might end up waiting for at least another quarter hour if they don't succeed in getting on the current bus). There are of course no crowd barriers alongside the bus bays where people pile up waiting and throngs of shoppers pass through... accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Zoney wrote:
    ...is that a flying pig I just saw go by?

Pig number 304 to Raheen is ready to take off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

subway wrote:
    bk wrote:
    I don't get it, how is it a tram if it doesn't have tram lines or overhead power and runs on diesel. This is just a bus. Might be a bigger bus, but it is still a bus.
    The important differentiation is that they are supposed to run on a delay free bus-only dedicated lane. This eliminates the big problem of a bus spending most of it's time in traffic. Due to the dedicated lane they can be also bigger and longer than the articulated Dublin buses (some are triple-articulated). It does make sense if it's implemented properly.
    bk wrote:
    What Cork needs (and probably Galway, but I'm from Cork, so I'll stick with what I know). Is a vastly improved bus service which is closer to DB then the rubbish service we currently have.
    Galway (where I live) needs a better bus service. In fact any bus service might be better. As it stands it's too infrequent, the timetable is unreliable, there are 'phantom' buses that don't really exist and there are gaps in the timetables during the day making relying on it pointless.

Personally I think that light rail within Galway (as distinct from commuter lines from outside) would be a ludicrous waste of taxpayers money - and that's coming from someone who thinks we should invest in public transport. As far as I'm concerned a frequent reliable bus service with dedicated bus lanes added to all the routes would be a sufficient improvement for a reasonable outlay of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

It sounds just like a bus service with QBCs - the fact that it's being sold as anything but a bus service only highlights how woefully deficient the bus services are at present and the poor association people have with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

The important differentiation is that they are supposed to run on a delay free bus-only dedicated lane. This eliminates the big problem of a bus spending most of it's time in traffic. Due to the dedicated lane they can be also bigger and longer than the articulated Dublin buses (some are triple-articulated). It does make sense if it's implemented properly.

and where is this going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

If it runs on a dedicated route with little or no traffic lights and no traffic interference, then yes it could definitately be an improvement on a regular bus.

I know the BRT they use in LA runs along an old disused railway alighnment(and not a regular road), and so has absolutely no traffic or traffic lights to deal with. It is a quite a good idea, as you do get much of the benefits of a metro/tram route, with much lower costs.

However, I don't know why they are calling it a tram. By definition a tram uses rails. Calling it a tram just makes them sound like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's to stop cars from driving in the bus lanes like they do in Dublin?

From what I can see any time I'm home, most of the "quality" bus lanes in Cork are just used for car parking. The only ones that are kept anyway free are where traffic isn't a problem to begin with.

The only thing that could be of possible benefit is if they had displays that showed the time till next bus like they have with the LUAS and the DART. Half the frustration with being kept waiting 90 mins for a bus is that if you'd known you'd be waiting 90 mins, you would have just walked or gotten a taxi. Instead you're just standing there like a fool thinking "well I've been waiting this long, surely one has to come soon.".

No chance of that level of transparency though.

This sort of publicity **** that doesn't address anything makes my blood boil. It was like when they announced miles of "green route" that had me looking forward to better bus service and the possibility of cycling around the city without being killed, and it turned out to be just relaid footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Rails vs. Bus Lane. Which ones are drivers more likely to stay out of?

Glorified bus lanes will just be blocked all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

The only thing that could be of possible benefit is if they had displays that showed the time till next bus like they have with the LUAS and the DART. Half the frustration with being kept waiting 90 mins for a bus is that if you'd known you'd be waiting 90 mins, you would have just walked or gotten a taxi. Instead you're just standing there like a fool thinking "well I've been waiting this long, surely one has to come soon.".

I completely agree. I think this could be the biggest short term improvement for bus service in Dublin and elsewhere. I would use buses much more regularly if I knew for definite when one was coming.

This and integrated ticketing should be introduced on Dublin bus as soon as technically and economically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They are planning something like this for Glasgow Clyde redevelopment. Looks good at a fraction of the cost of providing Trams.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/GettingAround/PublicTransport/clydefastlink.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

The bus that Bus Eireann are interested in is the Wrights Streetcar, which is in effect the same as the Dublin Bus artics, but with a "sexed up" body, designed to hide the fact that it is a bus, and make it look more like a tram.

www.northseagold.com/sub/photos/ftr.jpg

The wheels are hidden, the front is styled differently, and the dirver is in a totally enclosed compartment, with no interaction with the passengers.

FirstGroup, running these buses in York, have called the drivers of these buses "pilots".

All passengers have to purchase tickets from an on-board ticket machine, and First experienced horrendous dwell times at stops along the first route as passengers were taking up to 30 seconds each to buy a ticket (on a good day!) - so 10 pax at a stop equals 5 mins dwell time!!!!

First eventually relented, and introduced conductors ("flight attendents") and this has helped.

The simple truth is that these vehicles are no different from a bus in terms of reliability - i.e. they will only be reliable if total enforcment of bus priority can be provided. And if that *can* be provided, then why not do it for the existing buses?

Aquavid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

These were used in Limerick for a week in February.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Enigma365 wrote:
    I know the BRT they use in LA runs along an old disused railway alighnment(and not a regular road), and so has absolutely no traffic or traffic lights to deal with. It is a quite a good idea, as you do get much of the benefits of a metro/tram route, with much lower costs.

The LA Metro Orange Line, using 'Metro Liner' buses, it passes at grade about 25-30 junctions but has a right of way...

http://www.mta.net/projects_programs/orangeline/images/ol_interactive.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LACMTA_Orange_Line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Enigma365 wrote:

However, I don't know why they are calling it a tram. By definition a tram uses rails. Calling it a tram just makes them sound like idiots.
    Maybe it'll run on stilts?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=9094&lang=ENG&loc=2126
    Cullen in Limerick to launch Bus Éireann Expansion Plan
    30 April 2007

Transport Minister, Martin Cullen TD, today (Monday 30 April 2007) was presented with Bus Éireann's Bus Expansion Plan for Limerick. Mr Tim Hayes, Chief Executive Officer of Bus Éireann and Ms Miriam Flynn, Manager of Bus Éireann, South West presented the Minister with the plan. Minister Cullen was accompanied at today's event by Minister for Defence, Willie O'Dea, TD.

Bus Éireann's key plan objectives (2007-2009) in the Limerick region include an expansion in numbers using Limerick services to 2.9 million extra passengers in three years; 24 replacement and additional buses; frequency improvements and new services; more destinations; automated ticketing; greater integration with rail, air and taxi services and improved accessibility on commuter and interurban services.

City service routes, which Bus Éireann would like to enhance as part of their Limerick plan include, for example:

* The number 312 A Raheen City Centre via Dock Road
    * The number 308 B Thomond Village City Centre
    * The number 310 Annacotty City Centre
    Welcoming the ambition underpinning the proposals outlined, Minister Martin Cullen said: "The Bus Éireann proposals we have heard about today will build on the substantial presence, which Bus Éireann has had in the Limerick region for many years. I welcome in particular, the commitment of Bus Éireann to growing strongly the number of passengers up by 2.9 million extra passengers in three years - using bus services in the Limerick region". The Minister added: "I also welcome the focus which the company is placing on measures such as improved ticketing arrangements, better customer information and better marketing to retain and grow its customer base. We need, for transport and sustainability reasons, to identify and exploit ways and means of encouraging greater use of bus services".

In September 2006, Minister Cullen approved funding under Transport 21 of €50 million for the purchase of 160 new buses for use by Bus Éireann. Last Wednesday, 25 April 2007, he announced that under Transport 21, approval has also been given for additional funding for over €20 million for the purchase and delivery in 2008 of a further 75 new buses by Bus Éireann.

Funding for the remainder of Bus Éireann's proposals for 2009 and beyond for Limerick and other parts of the country, will be considered in the context of the capital allocations under Transport 21.

Speaking about bus priority measures and the movement of buses, the Minister said: "A vital ingredient for good bus services in an urban area are bus priority and traffic management measures that facilitate on-time services. I am delighted to see that work on bus priority is proceeding in Limerick, and that the first stretch of Green Route (bus corridors) here was opened in 2006, with work on a further Green Route nearing completion.

I strongly support the principle of developing bus priority, in order to make public transport quicker, more reliable and more attractive to passengers. This is an important aspect of the Government's overall goal of persuading people to switch where possible, from private cars to public transport. The benefits will be clear in years to come, not only in reduced congestion, but also in reduced emissions and a cleaner environment".

Minister Cullen added: "This year my Department has allocated over €3 million to promote the development of bus priority in Limerick. I look forward in particular to the completion of the Green Route on the Ennis Road in the near future. I know this will be an important contribution to improving the quality and attractiveness of public transport in the city".

Also today, Minister Cullen and Minister O'Dea visited Limerick's Colbert Rail Station, to view a new state-of-the-art train open to the public. The train and its railcars form part of a 183-railcar order valued at €400 million and funded by the Irish Government, under Transport 21. These railcars, built in Korea, will service the Dublin to Limerick route next year and will see an improvement in Iarnród Éireann's on-board comfort standards for Limerick passengers and a higher frequency and capacity on all intercity routes.

Editor's note

The approved funding for the purchase of buses by Bus Éireann (160 + the additional 75) is for use only on routes, which are the subject of a public service obligation.

Bus Éireann Limerick contributes €21 million to the local economy and is an important employer in the region with 373 staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The minister has been busy on the campaign trail Monday - Navan, Limerick and Ennis.

http://www.buseireann.ie/site/news_centre/press_centre.asp?action=view&news_id=535
    Bus Éireann Unveils Fully Accessible Ennis Bus Station

Transport Minister Martin Cullen TD joined Tras Honan Deputy Chairperson Bus Éireann Board and CEO Tim Hayes to officially open its latest refurbished bus station in Ennis Co Clare on Monday April 30th, at an event attended by many local guests.

Extensive development work took place at Ennis bus station to improve the station facilities and environment, in order to better meet the needs of all customers, including the mobility and visually impaired.

Funding of almost €900,000 was provided under the National Development Plan to bring the facility up to full accessibility standards.

Speaking at the opening Mr Tim Hayes CEO of Bus Éireann said:

“Bus Éireann is committed to ensuring that all our staff and customers have full access to our facilities, services and vehicles. We have been working hard to upgrade all our stations, including Ennis, to make them fully accessible. All new vehicles we are introducing into the fleet under Transport 21 will be low floor wheelchair accessible. We also look forward to introducing, shortly, accessible Expressway coaches into our fleet for the first time.”

The Ennis Accessibility project, successfully managed by Bus Éireann, was delivered within budget and on schedule. The result is a modern, fully accessible facility of benefit to all Bus Éireann’s customers in Co Clare.

The facilities and environment of Ennis Bus station were upgraded and the following features were added, to improve accessibility:
    * automatic doors to facilitate access
    * Increased door width sizes, internal and external
    * Well-illuminated door entrances with clearly marked control devices
    * ramped footpaths for ease of access
    * Improved Information signage: large, clear, contrasting in colour and tone
    * additional lighting
    * the installation of counter loop systems to improve communications system between public office staff and customers with a hearing disability
    * Fully accessible toilet facilities

Bus Éireann has invested significantly in recent years in improving the service we provide to all customers, including customers with a disability.

Under the National Development Plan Bus Éireann has upgraded many bus stations around the country and station accessibility has been incorporated into these projects as a key requirement.
    * The company has also invested heavily in the provision of a Disability Awareness Training programme for staff to heighten their awareness of the individual requirements of customers with special needs. More than 4,500 members of staff and contractors have undergone this training: the single largest training initiative in this history of Bus Éireann.
    * Almost 100% of Bus Éireann city buses are low floor wheelchair accessible
    * All vehicles to be procured by Bus Éireann under Transport 21 will be low floor wheelchair accessible.
    * Bus Éireann is currently procuring for the first time accessible Expressway coaches which are to enter service on long-distance routes

http://www.buseireann.ie/site/news_centre/press_centre.asp?action=view&news_id=536
    Bus Éireann Launches €6.7m Limerick Expansion Plan

Bus Éireann today announced details of a major €6.7m expansion plan set to transform public transport for customers in Limerick. The announcement will made at an event today April 30th in Limerick attended by Minister Martin Cullen and the CEO of Bus Éireann Mr Tim Hayes.

A significant increase in buses, routes and departures is planned.

The expansion is underpinned by Transport 21, the government’s ten year infrastructure investment programme.

- Key Improvements –

The key improvements in the Bus Éireann Limerick Expansion Plan include:
    * New city services
    * Enhancements to existing services, and
    * Enhancements to Commuter routes

Speaking at the launch Miriam Flynn, Bus Éireann Manager South-West said:

“New buses provided to Bus Éireann under Transport 21 will enable us to deliver, in a very short time frame, significant and tangible improvements for our customers in Limerick city and region. The frequency on existing services is set to improve radically and new routes to growing areas will also be added. These will be provided on a modern fleet of low floor wheelchair accessible, bio fuel compatible vehicles.”

New City Routes

New routes planned for Limerick city include the provision of 12 new daily services on
    * Raheen/City Centre via Dock Road
    * Thomand Village/City Centre
    * Annacotty /City Centre.

More City Departures

Departures on existing services are also set to increase significantly.

Departures on the O’Malley Park and Ballycummin routes are in line to double over the next three years, with the introduction of new fleet under Transport 21.

The Coonagh, Pineview, Caherdavin and UL routes will also get a significant increase in services.

Expansion of the Ennis Town Service

An expansion of the Ennis Town route is also planned, with additional services to be provided. Three additional services are planned, for the Clarecastle, Eastern Residential and Western Residential Areas. 18 departures will operate on daily basis.

- Bus Lanes Vital -

Speaking at the launch Tim Hayes, CEO of Bus Éireann stressed the importance of rolling out more bus lanes if the full value of the investment in public transport was to be realized.

Tim Hayes stated: “For the full benefits of the type of investment we are discussing today to be realised, we need to see alongside it a commitment to implementing the vital supporting infrastructure, such as bus lanes. The solution to the problem of gridlock is twofold – not just the provision of buses – but also bus lanes. Together they are the only effective means of speeding up public transport, giving buses that vital head start which will encourage people out of their cars.”

The Bus Éireann Expansion Plan – the Key Benefits

The Bus Éireann Expansion represents a € 6.7million investment and development package for public transport in Limerick and its region and is underpinned by vehicles to be provided to Bus Éireann under Transport 21, the government’s ten year transport and infrastructure investment programme.

*19 additional and 5 additional fully accessible buses are due to enter the Limerick fleet over the coming three years, with more than half coming into the network by the end of 2008.
    * The new fleet will facilitate an additional 70 departures on new routes and 244 additional departures on existing/enhanced routes
    * Additions to fleet and services will facilitate movement of an extra 2.9million passenger over the three years of the plan.
    * Integration of city services with wider transport networks to include enhanced integration with rail, air and taxi services will be a priority.

Limerick Region
    * An overall 133 per cent increase in departures on Enhanced Commuter Routes to Glin, Charleville, Newport/Nenagh and Ennis.
    * Total accessibility on all city services.
    * High frequency on Metropolitan links connecting Limerick-Shannon-Ennis.
    * New Ennis Town Services to provide 18 departures daily on three routes serving Clarecastle and the East and West residential areas of the town.

- Bus Rapid Transit -

Could ‘Bus Trams’ be the Future for Public Transport in Irish Cities such as Limerick?

At the launch of the Expansion plan, Bus Éireann revealed it is currently examining the potential for the introduction of ‘BRT’ (Bus Rapid Transit), commonly known as ‘bus trams’ which are popular in the US, Canada and in a growing number of European cities.

Bus Trams are regarded as suitable for operation in smaller sized cities. The company is at present exploring the feasibility of operating bus trams in Irish cities including Limerick and intends to enter some vehicles into service on a trial basis this summer.

An 18 metre streetcar, manufactured by Wrights of Ballymena, Co Antrim, was unveiled at the event for demonstration purposes.

What are bus trams and what can they deliver?

Bus trams are a bus/tram hybrid vehicle capable of delivering a high quality tram-style service in terms of capacity and reliability, coupled with the far lower costs associated with manufacturing and running buses.

The attractiveness of Bus Rapid Transit lies in its potential to deliver a very high frequency service at a fraction of the cost of designing building and maintaining a full-scale tram system.

Quality stations and ‘bus stops’ are provided at frequent intervals along the route featuring Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI), so customers know what time the next service is due.

Bus Trams: the Benefits

Cost-effective – Bus trams have the carrying capacity of traditional trams at a fraction of the cost. BRT enables communities to address transportation needs quickly while leaving resources for other important priorities, like schools and parks. The high cost of traditional trams typically limits the amount that can be provided. Because of the cost effectiveness of BRT, many more services can be provided – to ensure wide-ranging provision.

* High capacity - Ottowa, Ontario, operates one of the largest BRT systems in North America, with over 200,000 daily riders on the Ottowa Transitway, achieving peak capacities of 10,000 passengers per hour per direction. This has been cited as an example of the efficiency of BRT systems.

* Quick and simple solution – Bus trams can operate on ordinary road space thus saving the lengthy time periods associated with constructing tram systems, delivering important benefits in a short time frame

* Eco-friendly - Bus trams are capable of running on alternative, more environmentally-friendly fuels making them cleaner and quieter than traditional diesel buses. By relieving congestion on streets, they reduce emissions, noise levels and improve the air quality.

* High quality design - Bus trams are low floor, wheelchair-accessible and are contemporary in design with comparatively spacious interiors.

* Fast, high quality service - Because bus trams typically operate on dedicated bus way, the punctuality of service and reliability is significantly improved. The provision of real time passenger information also tells customers what time the next service is due.

* High frequency service - A high-frequency, all day service can be provided with stops at frequent intervals to facilitate a large number of users.

The cost of bus trams versus conventional trams systems is impressive

Low construction costs, low maintenance costs

Infrastructure costs 10%
    Vehicle costs 75%
    Vehicle operating costs 80%
    Infrastructure operating costs 0.5%

Bus trams – ideal for medium sized cities

BRT is regarded by transport experts as the ideal public transport solution for small to medium sized cities. The system is currently in operation in Eindhoven in the Netherlands which has a population of 550,000.

BRT is being successfully introduced in a growing number of cities internationally including Edinburgh in Scotland, Ottowa in Canada and Brisbane in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i saw it this morning..its a purple bendi bus...nothing to get excited about....

corktina wrote:
    i saw it this morning..its a purple bendi bus...nothing to get excited about....

Ditto; got a photo of it. It looks rather ridiculous. Nevertheless - if they had these every ten minutes between the University and city centre I'd be cheering heartily - the extra capacity vs. a normal single deck bus alone is urgently needed. The existing service is not a joke, it's an insult.

Here's the interesting thing; there are two sets of doors, but tickets are currently dispensed by bus drivers. Are they intending to use a conductor, or are they only going to use the front doors and have the bus spend 10 minutes loading people up? Or have they even considered the issue?

Can't see this running smoothly unfortunately...

Photos as promised (taken at UL):

Front:
    purplemonster_front.jpg

Side:
    purplemonster_side.jpg

Sorry if they are a bit grainy or poor quality; I just quickly took the photos in passing with my phone. Not exactly sure what it was doing stopped here; as evident from the photo it isn't the bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I saw one this afternoon too and they seem to run alot smoother and faster than a bus. They seem to slide along like a....wait for it.....TRAM! :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Zoney wrote:
    Here's the interesting thing; there are two sets of doors, but tickets are currently dispensed by bus drivers. Are they intending to use a conductor, or are they only going to use the front doors and have the bus spend 10 minutes loading people up? Or have they even considered the issue?

Can't see this running smoothly unfortunately...

Ticketing is one of those ways that these buses, or 'bus trams', act like trams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I think these bus-trams are a good idea: they offer lots of flexibility compared to trams.

Advertisement