Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My invention...

• 28-04-2007 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Is the VacuGlobe. An orb that hangs from the ceiling that uses the magic of centrifugal force, whips up all the dust in the room into a mini whirlwind, then sucks it all up. Patent pending, Patent pending.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sounds good, would you have to evacuate the house when you turn it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

copacetic wrote:
    sounds good, would you have to evacuate the house when you turn it on?

You could be sucked off :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just the dust hanging in the air I take it? Or you may suck up all things that are not nailed down in the room.
    Anything that reduces dust in a room may be bought by me. Bring forth top level design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Evacuate the room only. Ehm, it sucks up loose dust. Remove all small objects such as diamonds, hairpins and whatnots. I could provide a picture, but it would be homer simpsonesque at this stage, as I have absolutley no knowledge of electronics. I could stick in some LED's for good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

it should have a cup holder too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Hal1 wrote:
    You could be sucked off :eek:

Sounds great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It sounds like it might double as a powerball. ;)

Sounds like a great idea; bring it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Cover it in mirrors and add a black light, and just watch those crazy dust mites dance:) I'll buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sounds like something I might put up my ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think you're posting in the wrong forum, you want S&S right? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

centrafugal force would force the dust out wards ?

remember that most of the dust is human skin flakes, an ioniser could be used to percipitate them or maybe a laser that zaps them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

A few suggestions for power settings?
    1. Dust storm
    2. Sand storm
    2. Full on Twister

:eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

errr hasn't this already been invented? hotels in america use something like this

you sure that you aren't just thinking of a built in vacuum cleaner system where you plug a hose into the wall socket?

not aware of any hotel that whips up a whirlwind to clean the dust up, but would like to see it if you have an address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

irishbird wrote:
    errr hasn't this already been invented? hotels in america use something like this

Bah! They're always stealing my thoughts.

Does it have LEDs, Lasers, blacklights and a cupholder though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

boreds wrote:
    Evacuate the room only. Ehm, it sucks up loose dust. Remove all small objects such as diamonds, hairpins and whatnots. I could provide a picture, but it would be homer simpsonesque at this stage, as I have absolutley no knowledge of electronics. I could stick in some LED's for good measure.

And small animals/cihldren too i gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

you would never get enough centripetal force as centripetal force = mass x velocit divided by the radius therefore the power needed is not practical for domestic use mayb industrial use tho!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

boreds wrote:
    I could stick in some LED's for good measure.
    Anti wrote:
    And small animals/children too i gather.

:eek: you sure sticking animals/children into it is a good idea? or legal? :D

good idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bluenarf

the idea has good potential. but to be practical wouldnt it need a built in microwave? and ham radio?

paul.
    www.paulsnet.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

And a remote control! Don't want to be caught standing in the middle of that suction action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Ibjiba wrote:
    And a remote control! Don't want to be caught standing in the middle of that suction action.

A countdown timer would suffice. Just set it to count down from 10 seconds and run! Don't forget the children on your way out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

What about a reverse setting ?? - just pour in the paint, and hey presto -

a new paint job.

Changing rooms uses them I think. ( whole room/house redecorated and paint dry in an hour ??? Must have one of these.):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

FX Meister wrote: »
    Sounds like something I might put up my ass

lol. centripical force would suck it in.
    Centrifugal force doesn't actually exist (according to l/c physics class last thursday)

congo_90 wrote: »
    lol. centripical force would suck it in.
    Centrifugal force doesn't actually exist (according to l/c physics class last thursday)

thats true in that it isn't exerted by another object but it is certainly something you can feel! The issue is that we only feel it when we are passengers on other objects under force, such as a roundabout or a car.

You should get your physics teacher on to a roundabout and tell him that if there is no such thing as centrifugal force then he shouldn't need to hold on. See how far he gets!

He is right in theory but the 'force' that will throw him off the roundabout 'feels' like centrifugal and if you treat it as an actual force calculations have a habit of coming out correctly also..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A good example of centrifugal force can be seen on youtube. Two idiotic teens hop onto a merry-go-round that you would see in a children's playground, while one of their 'friends' rests the back wheel of his mophead (sp) onto the ride and rev's the engine. I can't find the clip though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

copacetic wrote: »
    thats true in that it isn't exerted by another object but it is certainly something you can feel! The issue is that we only feel it when we are passengers on other objects under force, such as a roundabout or a car.

You should get your physics teacher on to a roundabout and tell him that if there is no such thing as centrifugal force then he shouldn't need to hold on. See how far he gets!

He is right in theory but the 'force' that will throw him off the roundabout 'feels' like centrifugal and if you treat it as an actual force calculations have a habit of coming out correctly also..

funny thing: i hate physics class lol (sorry for off topic)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

turn the invention inside out so you have a cyclone instead of a whrlwind

the dust will be spun to the outside of the room hit the walls and fall to the floor in nice neat piles in the corners where there is less wind

since dust is like 90% human skin flakes getting the inhabitants to wear space suits and having ionisers would be another option

since dust is like 90% human skin flakes getting the inhabitants to wear space suits and having ionisers would be another option

really captain? I went away for a couple of months and the place was covered in dust when I got back, was there people sneaking in and flaking all over the place? there was no-one here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

since dust is like 90% human skin flakes

according to stephen fry on an episode of QI this isn't quite true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

What if you put those tiny squares of mirror on it and make it a disco ball?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Lads sorry if im hijacking here, but im looking for a similar solution which involves static electricity.

- How to get rid of dog hair!!!

Im thinking that dog hair has either a positive or negative charge.

Is there any device you could make,which could be oppositely charged, to attract the dog hair to it, so it could be used for easy removal of dog hair from clothes furniture etc.....?

Im not looking to patent/invent anything, i just want a simple DIY practical solution!

And how would you be able to find out what type charge dog hair has? :confused:

Something battery operated seems like a good idea.

Advertisement