Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will win ML?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I'd be surprised if BOD played much before the real build up to the World Cup begins, he's just too valuable to the national team to risk playing for the province. Same with guys like Stringer and O'Connell, if either Munster or Leinster were still in the HEC those players would have found a way to be fit for the semi. EOS does have enough control to pull the players out of these games, and imo, he's right to do it. They need a break from playing and these few weeks are their best chance at it for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Leinster always trail off towards the end of the season, perhaps it's due to the fact that the senior cup (which shapes their careers) ends in March, along with the 6 nations, they just peak too early every year.

When was the last time they finished the season really, really strongly?

if they have any real serious intentions at progressing in a HCup they better sort this issue out!

I'd be surprised if BOD played much before the real build up to the World Cup begins, he's just too valuable to the national team to risk playing for the province. Same with guys like Stringer and O'Connell, if either Munster or Leinster were still in the HEC those players would have found a way to be fit for the semi. EOS does have enough control to pull the players out of these games, and imo, he's right to do it. They need a break from playing and these few weeks are their best chance at it for some time.

Maybe hell play a bit of the Cardiff game or a handy cameo V Borders? Theres not much opportunity to get him match fit and practice apart from the 2 friendlies, sending him to Arg or CHillCup?
    At least the 2 whipping boys are up 1st in Bordeaux.

Cheika illuded last week that we may see him but emphasised his value to the national team and the WC and said no chances would be taken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Did Hook step back into the 22 to kick out for that last Leinster lineout? certainly looked like it. Either way it doesn't conceal the headlessness of Leinster. At least the Ospreys seemed to have a plan. The first 20 minutes was the worst quarter of rugby I've seen in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Maybe hell play a bit of the Cardiff game or a handy cameo V Borders? Theres not much opportunity to get him match fit and practice apart from the 2 friendlies, sending him to Arg or CHillCup?
    At least the 2 whipping boys are up 1st in Bordeaux.

Cheika illuded last week that we may see him but emphasised his value to the national team and the WC and said no chances would be taken!

Aren't there 2 or 3 pre world cup tests next August and September, think we're playing in Italy in Ravenhill, not sure who else.

:eek:
    Aren't there 2 or 3 pre world cup tests next August and September, think we're playing in Italy in Ravenhill, not sure who else.

yeah they are the games I refer to:

Sat 19th May 07 20:00 CC-PB Canada v Ireland A TBA
    Sat 26th May 07 TBC F Argentina v Ireland Club Atletico Colon
    Tue 29th May 07 20:00 CC-PB Ireland A v New Zealand Maori TBA
    Sat 2nd Jun 07 TBC F Argentina v Ireland Velez Sarsfield
    Sat 11th Aug 07 14:30 F Scotland v Ireland Murrayfield
    Fri 24th Aug 07 19:45 F Ireland v Italy Ravenhill

It a bit late- to be leaving him til Aug for a game! he'll either have to play a few ML game ove next fortnight or quite unlikely but perhaps a CH cup game?:confused: He has got to get game time before Aug!

AND DONT SEND HIM TO ARG!

He cant be left not to play since March when he got injured!

daveirl wrote:

Im not worried Im aware its not a likely possibility but when you look at the limited opportunities you never know.;)

Any way back to the point, do you reckon he shld play( subject to fitness) :

A.nougt til Aug
    B.CH CUp
    C.ML in the next fort night
    D.IRFU Tag series over summer to boost profile :D

I guess if there is one guy who can go into a WC only playing 2 games in the previous 7 months in Aug, it would be him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

Play him for Leinster as soon as he's fit. I don't see what the big deal is.

In answer to the OP it looks like its Cardiffs now! This Leinster team dont have the balls to go there and win without BOD.
    Unless Ospreys take Blues at home and Warriors, Ospreys in Glasgow.

Leinster throw it away prob finish 3rd! Utter waste of a season all round for Irish rugby.
    The schoolboy in me believes there is hope in the RWC, but the chronic dissapoinment of Irish and Leinster rugby does not instill me with confidence.

At least Munster won something....the Interpo !:mad:

From ML.com

"Should Leinster fail to win the Ospreys would lift the title with a win against a Reivers side who will be playing their last ever game and have secured only two victories all season. The Ospreys would still be crowned champions if Leinster win without a bonus point and the Welsh side collect five points in Scotland."

1 Leinster 19 12 1 6 461 349 (+112)11 61
    2 Ospreys 19 13 0 6 437 358 ( +79 )8 60

How is the Bold part correct above, a 4 pt Leinster win and 5 pt Orpeys win would leave them level on 65.

The head to head being a tie that Leinster won on aggregate score and leinster looking very favourable in Pts scored and Diff and 2 clear of a potential 9 BPs on the Ospreys.

Is this sattement an error?:confused:

http://www.magnersleague.com/2_8.php

daveirl wrote:

Dont Munster Know it! ;)

Agreed will watch withe interest as Ospryeys would get 3 BPs in Borders if at all possible and leinster not likley to win with 4 tries V cardiff.

The challenge ahead of leinster does offer a tantalising tie however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

This will be a test of Leinster's mettle. If they pull it off it will give them a massive boost for next season's H Cup. These are the type of games that Munster win when up against it.

buck65 wrote:
    This will be a test of Leinster's mettle. If they pull it off it will give them a massive boost for next season's H Cup. These are the type of games that Munster win when up against it.

Not in the ML though ;)

and more recently not in the H Cup either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Ospreys completely blew the initiative against glasgow at the weekend. It was in their hands. Now its much less in their favour, if any.

Its insane to think Leinster have the "initiative"

An away game with BP to a decent team wins it for us.

An away game with BP to Borders will win it for Ospreys if we miss any of the above criteria.

Good thing is Leinster can go out on Fri and make the Ospreys game irrelevant and win on the day. That has got to be a good thing for mentality and the Wlesh on the road record too will be motivation.

Cardiff really have nothing to play for as they will finish below Ospreys no matter what, this may ( clutching at straws ) help Leinster !:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh, i'd just be happy to win in cardiff at this stage.

tis a joke that the ospreys aren't playing at the same time...much like france v scotland, they know exactly what they need, be it a bonus point or simply a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

Not in the ML though ;)

and more recently not in the H Cup either!

Don't Munster have the best away record in the Magner's League?

daveirl wrote:
    I never said its not in their favour, just that it'd be as good as over if they hadn't blown it against glasgow.

I dont see it as a foregone conclusion however. Ospreys have shown already they can slip up.

Marshy wrote:
    I never said its not in their favour, just that it'd be as good as over if they hadn't blown it against glasgow.

I dont see it as a foregone conclusion however. Ospreys have shown already they can slip up.

ONLY Leinster slip up Vs the Borders, Ospreys will not!

They should be collecting BPs away to the Borders and not losing! This realistically has cost them the ML 2 years running, going up to Lord of the Rings country and coming back with 1 point!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

I have to say, Leinster have to be the most frustrating team to support in the whole northern hemisphere. Some of the wins they have are unreal but then they just have a knack of stuffing things up or not even coming out to play. They could have had the league sealed with a win over in Wales if they had of just played with a little bit more control and leadership. Losing to Reivers as well . Heineken cup losses when they might as well have stayed in the dressing room (Leicester 05, Munster 06, Wasps 07etc..)

I have to say, Leinster have to be the most frustrating team to support in the whole northern hemisphere. Some of the wins they have are unreal but then they just have a knack of stuffing things up or not even coming out to play. They could have had the league sealed with a win over in Wales if they had of just played with a little bit more control and leadership. Losing to Reivers as well . Heineken cup losses when they might as well have stayed in the dressing room (Leicester 05, Munster 06, Wasps 07etc..)

true true....the weather has ended any chance of the ML I feel now...:mad:

Yeah, yeah blame the weather for your forwards' inadequacies. Ironically leinster had most of the ball and territory in that half and couldnt use any of it.

Ref " did you get a number" after a 2nd yellow card incident to the home team
    Linesman " No I deed nt, Im listening to Charlotte Church on my eer piece!"

It really becomes evident this late that the LM situation is ridiculous and does great harm to the comp in my opinion. Highlighted obviously as Leinster have had 3 away welsh games at end of season!

All but a scapegoat however - Leinster terrible! since Wasps, how can one player leave the rest of what should be a decent team in such bad shape?

They are just so frustrating how will they ever get travelling support iof they never win. Should they just concede all their away games and save us the hassle!

Marshy wrote:
    Yeah, yeah blame the weather for your forwards' inadequacies. Ironically leinster had most of the ball and territory in that half and couldnt use any of it.

said that before the game when one would assume we would seek the tries thro our backs......

• Advertisement

No better team to blow it when it matters. Horgan's chip was horrendous for cardiffs 4th try.

Advertisement