Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Folding rigs.

Options
  • 24-04-2007 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

As suggested, what hardware do you guys run for folding?

I may aswell go first :)

1. CD T2300, 1gb ram, Vaio fgn-fe11m, Nvidia 7300, xp MCE
    2. Opty 170 @ 2.98ghz, 2gb ram, dfi nf4 ut (sli-mod), Gecube X1950pro, xp pro
    3. CD T7200, 2gb ram, dell latt 820, vista ultimate
    4. C2D E6600 @ 3.4ghz, 2Gb ram, evga 680i, 8800gtx x2, vista ultimate
    5. P4 2.8 prescott, 1gb ram, Generic dell desktop, 6600gt, vista ultimate
    6. P4 2.6 northwood, 1gb ram, 6600gt, Fiesty fawn ( up tomorrow )
    7. Celeron 2.6, 512mb, dell inspiron 2200, xp pro
    8. P4 2.4ghz 1gb, Generic dell X3 :) xp pro

So thats me, What are the rest of you running?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

1. AMD64 4000+ San Deigo @ 2.6GHz, 2Gigs ram, 7900GS, MSI K8N, XP

Have two other (respectable enough for single-core) machines, but I loaned one out and the other needs a new PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Current:

Asrock 030 DUAL-SATA II Board
    AMD X2 3800@2500mhz
    2gb G'Skill DDR500 RAM
    ATI X1900XT@650/750
    XP Pro
    Lian Li V2000
    Watercooling from Alphacool

Cuurently in the middle of building Core 2 Duo rig...more news as I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

1. AthlonXP 2800 2.08Ghz, 1GB RAM, XP Pro SP2
    2. Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 6825, Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, Windows 2000 SP4
    3. Compaq Presario 2274, PII 350Mhz, 64MB RAM, FC4 Server

Ok, so that last one is a small bit embarassing :) But its a personal file server thats mostly always on when I'm working so I figured I might as well have it doing something useful rather than just sucking power.

New machine built...

Intel Core2Duo 6320...stock speed at present
    2gb G-Skill DDRII 6400
    Nvidia 7900gs
    XP Pro

Nice and stable thus far. Will start to clock it up when I get my Scythe Ninja HSF back.

Forgot my file server...churns out a WU every couple of weeks!

AMD Duron 800mhz
    256mb RAM
    XP Pro

I will be rebuilding my AMD X2 rig at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

within the next week i hope for 2 more machines to be running 2X cpu clients, and 1 gpu client. If it all goes as planned.

• Advertisement

3. Compaq Presario 2274, PII 350Mhz, 64MB RAM, FC4 Server
    Does that thing actually meet WU deadlines? :eek:

Does that thing actually meet WU deadlines? :eek:
    10% into a job thats being forecast to finish in July :) But then, my other two machines are forecasting June, so I'm not paying too much heed to that.

I'd get FahMon on the case (if you haven't already) and see what the deadlines are for that WU.
    I read recently on the f@h forums that there aren't any deadlineless WUs around anymore.

And just so I'm not going that far off topic, I've got a C2D E6600 build on the way... SMP bonus here I come! :D

Cheers. I didn't realise that WUs had set deadlines. Might have to retire the file server if its unable to keep up :(

Might have to retire the file server if its unable to keep up :(
    Or upgrade your file server! ;)
    Think of the PPD!!?!111 (Thus begins the slippery slope)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Anti ... nice line up there. One question? Do you pay the power bill on those? If not then it's all good.

If you do, I'd seriously consider selling the Netburst (P4) stuff and getting Core 2 stuff. Less power, more production. You'd make back the money in about less than 10 months in Power bill saving.

Hopefully get my X1900xt back into production this weekend....and to hell with the ESB bill :D

Thankfully i dont pay the power bill, plus 2 are folding from where i work, and 3 where the girlfriend works.

Installed an X1950pro on my Core2Duo rig. Now happily running one CPU console and one GPU console client.
    GPU running stable at 7.40 per frame. Quite suprised it's runing that quick TBH. Thought is would be much slower than my X1900xt that runs the GPU client at 6.50 per frame.

Starting to rebuild my X2 3800 rig today...only missing a CPU heatsink. Anyone got a spare skt 939 cooler knocking about?

I do actually. A coolermaster one, Fully copper with a 100mm fan on it.

Vortex-TX.jpg

Anti wrote:
    I do actually. A coolermaster one, Fully copper with a 100mm fan on it.

Vortex-TX.jpg

Thanks Anti...but I'm looking for something on the higher end. I doubt that cooler will keep my overclocked X2 3800 cold enough.
    I borrowed a Zalman S8000 for the short term but it's noisy at full speed and I've had to limit my overclock to 2200mhz.

It would handle my 3500+ and 3800+ at 2.8ghz at under 45c full load. Its supprisingly good.

Thanks for the offer Anti...but I reckon I'll hang on and get something that will let me push this X2 back to it's limits again.
    Had a Thermalright Ultra 90 on it previously and would clock to 2600mhz and run at 40c with two CPU console clients running at 100%.

Just to let you all know my second rig is back folding..one CPU console client and one GPU console client on my X1900xt. Should get my PPD back to a reasonable level :D

My C2D 6320 is now up to 2.45ghz and still under 45c...some more headroom left in this chip methinks.

Had a bit of a swap round

My C2D rig..now at 2.8ghz..is running the Windows SMP client and rolling along nicely at 13.40 per frame on the 2610 WU.
    The X2 3800 is running one GPU client on the X1950pro and one CPU client.

All nice and stable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

AMDXp2500 @ 3200*Abit NF7-S V2*1.5Gig PC3200*Geforce mx440*760 GiG HD's*Plextor 740*Audigy 2 ZS*Antec Sonata Case*380Watt Antec PSU*

Thats the only machine i have folding.
    Have moved house and still waiting for my line and internet to be connected up. Prob will be 6weeks before ill be back folding. But down in 35th position im fighting a uphill battle.

• Advertisement

IF you get that 1950xt folding you will be back up there in no time.

Anti wrote:
    IF you get that 1950xt folding you will be back up there in no time.

True..That card is good for 660 points per day as a minimum...needs one core of cpu time to do it but still leaves one core free to run another client...assuming a dual core cpu of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Don't have dual core yet maybe in a few months time. House is taking all my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Here's what I have:
    - Core 2 Duo E6300 - been running the normal commandline Windows client pretty much since I got it in late '06. Just found out about the Windows SMP beta, but the short deadlines have put me off it (I don't have it on 24/7). Might try running a second client (tried before but was too lazy to set it up as a service)
    - Pentium III 933 - been running since October, and it's just finished its first WU! It's my headless download box, so it's left on overnight a few nights a month or sometimes a few days straight.

I borged a machine in one of my labs in college last year (P4 2.0GHz or something like that) but it seemed to stop running a while ago. Is there any way of telling what systems have done what WUs (or doing any other monitoring) from any online sources? I know about FahMon but AFAIK it needs SMB or NSF access (kinda hard to do over the internet without using a VPN or something).

I'm quite surprised I'm in the top 10 of producers in the team! :)

Here's what I have:
    - Core 2 Duo E6300 - been running the normal commandline Windows client pretty much since I got it in late '06. Just found out about the Windows SMP beta, but the short deadlines have put me off it (I don't have it on 24/7). Might try running a second client (tried before but was too lazy to set it up as a service)
    - Pentium III 933 - been running since October, and it's just finished its first WU! It's my headless download box, so it's left on overnight a few nights a month or sometimes a few days straight.

I borged a machine in one of my labs in college last year (P4 2.0GHz or something like that) but it seemed to stop running a while ago. Is there any way of telling what systems have done what WUs (or doing any other monitoring) from any online sources? I know about FahMon but AFAIK it needs SMB or NSF access (kinda hard to do over the internet without using a VPN or something).

I'm quite surprised I'm in the top 10 of producers in the team! :)

I believe there is an app called fahspy, but then again you will need vpn :(

As for the top 10, good going :)

Hmm, that looks a lot more sophisticated than FahMon but it looks like it still relies on SMB file access. Thanks for the link anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Four P4's ranging from 2.8 to 3 ghz, one 3.4ghz PentiumD running an Smp client along with a E6300. All stock from machines I had lying around. Assuming I'm bored for the remainder of the week I have another 300 or so machines I can put an image on for Folding. Most are P4's with 5 or 6 Pentium D's and some Core2duos for short periods.

How many P4's do I need folding to get 2000+ points a day?

Ohh and a E6600 @ 3ghz with a Ati 2900xt at home. The Xt seemed to shoot through Wu's, but its only for brief periods, since I like the gaming and not paying for electricity bills(already around 180 a month).

Which user are you on the team?

I currently have 5 Pentium D 925 clients (i.e. 2 clients on two PCs, one on the other), one Pentium 4 (2.2GHz?) on top of the two above.

I've overclocked the E6300 a bit to 2.1GHz (getting some better RAM soon so can go further) and am running two clients on it (not 24/7 though).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Which user are you on the team?

I currently have 5 Pentium D 925 clients (i.e. 2 clients on two PCs, one on the other), one Pentium 4 (2.2GHz?) on top of the two above.

I've overclocked the E6300 a bit to 2.1GHz (getting some better RAM soon so can go further) and am running two clients on it (not 24/7 though).

Username is Cuddlesworth. Why are you running 2 clients when you can run a single SMP client on the dual core machines?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, didn't notice your name before :) You new to this, or did you change teams?

They're not PCs I can manage easily so didn't want to go messing around with betas. I also wasn't sure if such lowly dual-cores would be up for the task (dunno what's recommended for the SMP client). I use two 6.10 beta clients on my E6300, as I don't have it on 24/7 so it wouldn't reach the short deadlines of the SMP client.

Advertisement